Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Really good performance, it must be a real struggle to play with McTominay at times though.

Devil may care

Played more as a #8 the last couple of games which suits him, and I thought he used the ball well today.

tjb

I wonder if people are blind to his progressive passes when they see he only offers energy
He's improving. I'm realising more and more that he may be a victim of not having a good player as his deeper partner rather than just being poor. He gets stretched rather than simply poor positioning. We need to get a player who can help us dictate the ball deeper and provide a solid defensive shield.

Raven

He's improving. I'm realising more and more that he may be a victim of not having a good player as his deeper partner rather than just being poor. He gets stretched rather than simply poor positioning. We need to get a player who can help us dictate the ball deeper and provide a solid defensive shield.
Hopefully Garner can be that player.

tjb

Hopefully Garner can be that player.
Can't risk it, we need someone in now this summer. If Garner wants a spot, he should compete with Fred. We're too good now to wait for a youngster in that role

Raven

Can't risk it, we need someone in now this summer. If Garner wants a spot, he should compete with Fred. We're too good now to wait for a youngster in that role
Garner doesn't play Fred's role though.

Dve

Fred had a really good game and deserves better than the 6.1 average rating he´s got on CAF today. For me, he was contender for MOM. Great engine in the midfield, safe with the ball defensively and good forward passes as well. One of his better games this season.

Litch

Agree but Pogs was suppose to be that player and it's interesting that no one is criticising him cause he's not. Def upgrades out there on Fred but they won't look that different if played next to Pogs or Scott. Players like Rice are an upgrade but not to make the difference people are suggesting....

Brightonian

Garner doesn't play Fred's role though.
He plays the role that Fred is being forced to play. Fred is generally deeper than McT and does more shielding of the defence. It's not his ideal position but it is the one he's had to fill for us this season.

Raven

He plays the role that Fred is being forced to play. Fred is generally deeper than McT and does more shielding of the defence. It's not his ideal position but it is the one he's had to fill for us this season.
True, but I think Fred and a player like Garner would be a perfect double pivot if it's the formation we're sticking with.

tjb

Agree but Pogs was suppose to be that player and it's interesting that no one is criticising him cause he's not. Def upgrades out there on Fred but they won't look that different if played next to Pogs or Scott. Players like Rice are an upgrade but not to make the difference people are suggesting....
Rice is not a good option imo. The biggest problem we have in midfield is how poor we are in the build up, even before the defensive side of the game. Fred's first touch and the fact that he's not that comfortable on the ball would put way too much responsibility on him to dictate the tempo of how we play. We need someone to alleviate Maguire of having to keep possession deeper in defence and move the ball slowly. Rice doesn't fix that.

Saul is an option. Paredes at PSG would fit perfectly. Narhaus at Monchengladbach too.

We also have the option of playing with a more skilled ball winner alongside Fred who can interchange defensively with him, whilst having the first touch and driving ability to alleviate us from the press in our half. If Pogba were better defensively and more willing to have less attacking involvements, he could have played this role ( even though his heavy touch would leave us liable at times). A player like Camavinga or even Bellingham would suit us in that respect. Similar to a Keane and Ince partnership or Kante and Kovacic.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Had a good game. His energy is much needed

simplyared

He didn't put a foot wrong today. He's improving definately. Moved the ball well and tbh I've never seen him play so many forward passes that hit the right address. Deserves his place in the team and never thought I'd be saying that.

Rossa

Rice is not a good option imo. The biggest problem we have in midfield is how poor we are in the build up, even before the defensive side of the game. Fred's first touch and the fact that he's not that comfortable on the ball would put way too much responsibility on him to dictate the tempo of how we play. We need someone to alleviate Maguire of having to keep possession deeper in defence and move the ball slowly. Rice doesn't fix that.

Saul is an option. Paredes at PSG would fit perfectly. Narhaus at Monchengladbach too.

We also have the option of playing with a more skilled ball winner alongside Fred who can interchange defensively with him, whilst having the first touch and driving ability to alleviate us from the press in our half. If Pogba were better defensively and more willing to have less attacking involvements, he could have played this role ( even though his heavy touch would leave us liable at times). A player like Camavinga or even Bellingham would suit us in that respect. Similar to a Keane and Ince partnership or Kante and Kovacic.
So you extensively watch the German league, the French league, the PL and the Spanish league. Impressive!

Jackal981

As one of his biggest critics, he is very good today. Hope he can be more consistent

MU655

Not sure how he ended up with only 6.2 rating. I guess it must be bias.

96% pass accuracy (nobody can argue against this), 1 key pass, 2 dribbles completed, 3 tackles, 1 interception. Very good performance.

tjb

Tielemans and Fred at CDM - that would be a good combination
I like that idea. Tielmans is willing to stay deeper at times, so it could work. Fred pressing aggressively, Tielmans dictating play with the occasional surge.

lost7

96% pass accuracy (nobody can argue against this), 1 key pass, 2 dribbles completed, 3 tackles, 1 interception. Very good performance.
I agree that he had a great game, but he was partially at fault in their goal by giving McTominay a really poor pass in a dangerous position

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I know what you mean :lol: . I rate Fred though but if Pogba on the left is here to stay then Fred Mctominay Matic is underwhelming as our options.
To be fair, if we only sign one midfield as an upgrade. It could potentially be like Liverpool midfield or may be better than the one when they won the league in 19/20. I think it really depends on how the manager wants us to play so even with unpleasing double pivot can still lead you to challenge the league.

Fabinho & Henderson vs Fred & new midfield
Wijnaldum vs Bruno
Naby Keita vs McTominay
Milner vs Matic

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

It seems people don’t appreciate or can’t recognise a very solid all action midfield performance in this fan base. If he was sitting at the base of a diamond moving 15 yards in any direction knocking safe passes and breaking up play that’s what people think they really want to see. A 96% pass rate and an assist but he’s still not good enough. When are people going to realise it’s more up to the forwards to play creatively for each other and our overall creativity doesn’t live and die in central midfield. It’s just people have latched onto their favourites in attack and they can do no wrong no matter what the numbers say.

Goals and assists from MCT or Fred are just a bonus given the very important job they do in allowing our fullbacks to get forward, screening our defence and overloading the attack. If Rashford had a even a small bit more composure Fred would easily have 5 more assists this season, Bruno could have another 10, easy, add Scott’s goal scoring numbers to that. What if cavani was fit for the whole season or Greenwood didn’t take 5 months to get going? It’s actually very solid creatively. Worst midfield pairing in the top ten. Please… :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Good today, although without Grealish playing he didnt have much work to do. There was nothing wrong with that pass until McTominay decided to stand still and stare at it.

Banana Republic

Fred played some top class forward and diagonal passes today.
He’s been doing that for a few games now and had a couple of assists as well.

I think most fans can now see he isn’t a solid DM and can be a liability when put under pressure.
For all his energy and harrying of opponents, which is good and effective most of the time, he’s too lightweight in the more physical defensive duties.
Rash and erratic, he dives in late, he frequently misses his tackle, or loses out, and he gets bowled over or swept aside by opposing midfielders far too often.
I agree with others who’ve suggested he’d be better as a sidekick to a top, commanding and agile DM.
Matic is past his prime and has slowed down, Pogba is totally hopeless in that role and despite some promise, McT is disappointing almost everybody.

Other than Garner, who is improving but isn’t ready yet, we haven’t got much coming through the ranks in this position, so we‘ll have to buy, preferably someone with good pedigree and experience.
I’m yet to be convinced Rice is the right player though.

The United

People talk about Bruno and Rashford needing a rest. Not many talk about that with Fred.

This guy is a machine. Running up and down battling physically all games then do the same in 2-3 days again full 90 mins after 90 mins.

I am surprised Ole did not take him off today to rest him up a bit.

Raven

People talk about Bruno and Rashford needing a rest. Not many talk about that with Fred.

This guy is a machine. Running up and down battling physically all games then do the same in 2-3 days again full 90 mins after 90 mins.

I am surprised Ole did not take him off today to rest him up a bit.
He's got one of the best engines in the premier league.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
If his best all round performance for United involves him losing the ball like a idiot attempting skill at the edge of his own box then I’d be seriously worried about the rest of his performances
If Pogba had produced that piece of skill, you would all be raving about what a world class player he is, but Fred, no.

Bwuk

If Pogba had produced that piece of skill, you would all be raving about what a world class player he is, but Fred, no.
? If Pogba had lost the ball attempting skills at the edge of his own box, allowing the opposition to score directly from his mistake this forum would be going mental.

Bwuk

Pogba has done plenty of stupid things that cost us goals when playing in the pivot.

Anyways that piece of skill went to McTominay who didn't clear, and then Lindelof was extremely weak in defending it, before Traore scored a hell of a goal.

Fred made a mistake, I guess, but there were 2 subsequent errors after which were more egregious. It's also a team game, and isolating an incident like that where multiple other players were culpable to blame on another is foolish.
the comment was about the Roma game.

Foxbatt

I wish that occasionally Bruno would let him take a free kick. It would confuse the opposition sometimes. Who remembers the free kick Scotland took after apparently an argument as to who would take it?

el3mel

What a fecking clown.

I can't trust him in EL final. Not in a million years.

But wait, I also can't trust Scott, or Matic, or literally any of our midfielders.

What bunch of clowns.

acnumber9

I would love the drug that makes people think this guy is anywhere near good enough. fecking hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.