Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Looked good, passing was a lot better than recent weeks/months. Love Fred and hope he can find his best form again.

city-puma

Today Rice and Fred both played. I don’t understand even a single bit why so many here think Rice is a world class wonder (no offense to him, he is really a good player, but not Manutd quality apparently).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Still not good enough with the ball

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Still not good enough with the ball
Jeezus wept, how is he not good enough? he was recyling the ball very well, he's the fastest passer with his ball at his feet too, played two brilliant through balls to create something, especially for the Greenwood chance. He's the first player to win the ball back and stop counters, and start our counters. Rashford header also came after him winning the ball back. He cover so much ground and often ends up like an extra defender, only to get back to build up and support attack occasionally. He's absolutely brilliant defensively and without him we would be a team of zombies waiting for the other team to lose their ball. He's DM, can you fecking understand it? Today his passing was more than good enough for a player of his ilk. But surely stupid posters like you will repeat this bullshit again and again. But why am I even trying. You are a waste of space.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I’d swop rice for Fred in a heart beat.
Yeah after a game when Fred was class above Rice, how stupid you must be? I am not sure if it is racism, massive lack of knowledge, sheer stupidity or some kind of trolling, probably a bit of everything:houllier:

ReallyUSA

Yeah after a game when Fred was class above Rice, how stupid you must be? I am not sure if it is racism, massive lack of knowledge, sheer stupidity or some kind of trolling, probably a bit of everything:houllier:
Easy on the racism bit man, that's a big jump.

Teja

He put a lot of feet wrong. Gave the ball away loads in the first half. Was good off the ball. But that is not an elite midfielder, thought Rice was a level above him today.

Maguire was good, but anyone who understands football rather than memes will not be surprised by that. He's one of the best cbs in the league.
Show some data / clips to back that up then.

Rice did feckall all game. Only in the second half when they went to 4-1-4-1 he sat at DM and moved the ball forward when he was under no pressure at all. Any average CM in the league would've been able to do what he did.

Ekeke

Had plenty of the ball, not sure why theres negative comments about Rice. Rice did well in his role as a DM winning the ball a lot, restricting some of our attacks and finding some passes, Fred barely won the ball but had loads of it and found a few decent passes

Also consider that Rice is playing against Bruno. Fred was playing against Soucek / Noble

stevoc

Jeezus wept, how is he not good enough? he was recyling the ball very well, he's the fastest passer with his ball at his feet too, played two brilliant through balls to create something, especially for the Greenwood chance. He's the first player to win the ball back and stop counters, and start our counters. Rashford header also came after him winning the ball back. He cover so much ground and often ends up like an extra defender, only to get back to build up and support attack occasionally. He's absolutely brilliant defensively and without him we would be a team of zombies waiting for the other team to lose their ball. He's DM, can you fecking understand it? Today his passing was more than good enough for a player of his ilk. But surely stupid posters like you will repeat this bullshit again and again. But why am I even trying. You are a waste of space.
Fecking hell chill out and knock the personal insults in the head. No need for petty name calling or accusations of racism just because someone has an opinion.

These threads are for posting opinions on player performances good and bad. If you can't handle that without getting would up then maybe they're not for you.

Ekeke

Show some data / clips to back that up then.

Rice did feckall all game. Only in the second half when they went to 4-1-4-1 he sat at DM and moved the ball forward when he was under no pressure at all. Any average CM in the league would've been able to do what he did.
?

He's not a CM.

He's a DM anchoring the midfield. This is what he did, doing that job

Here's what Fred did as an anchoring DM

We had a lot more of the ball so its no surprise that Fred didnt win it as much as Rice. But he's far behind some of his teammates too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’d swop rice for Fred in a heart beat.
Rice is your typical little Englander that looks flashy because he flys into tackles or makes some interceptions with a parked bus behind him.

what did he do on the ball? The only thing I can think of was ballooning a cross about 20 yards over hit out for a goal kick when they had the box loaded.

he is a good player for sides like West Ham, you’d want him out quicker than Morgan schneiderlin if he played for United.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You can't throw around baseless allegations of racism, it will not be tolerated on the forum.

Rice is your typical little Englander that looks flashy because he flys into tackles or makes some interceptions with a parked bus behind him.

what did he do on the ball? The only thing I can think of was ballooning a cross about 20 yards over hit out for a goal kick when they had the box loaded.

he is a good player for sides like West Ham, you’d want him out quicker than Morgan schneiderlin if he played for United.
rubbish. 99% of people would swap Fred for Rice.

no brainer of the year.

unfortunately no one would buy Fred for anything over £20m, and Rice would cost a fortune.

city-puma

Rice is a good player, but he lacks something extra for top team. I think he at the moment is their Noble mark II.

Adam-Utd

no brainer of the year.

unfortunately no one would buy Fred for anything over £20m, and Rice would cost a fortune.
I don’t think so. Rice is massively over rated.

hes a big brave lad who’s hard in the tackle, that’s about it.

Teja

?

He's not a CM.

He's a DM anchoring the midfield. This is what he did, doing that job
Couple of things:

My comment about the data was in response to the statement saying Fred giving the ball away a lot during the first half. I don't think that is true at all.

The distinction between CM / DM isn't really relevant to what I was getting at. You can swap out CM to DM in my post if that makes you happy, but in terms of offensive involvement he was nothing special and any random premiership midfielder would have done what he did.

Defensively, I didn't really notice him doing anything exceptional bar maybe one tackle I vaguely remember but yes from those stats it looks like he put himself about a bit. As you say, comparing Fred vs Rice tackles etc. doesn't really make sense because they did nothing at all offensively for 60% of the game and just sat back blocking our attacks. You expect the stats to be inflated in that case.

city-puma

no brainer of the year.

Ok. I am one of the 1%. One of the main reasons is so laughable to mention actually. It’s his pass!
He can’t produce the line breaking forward pass as Fred does freely.

Brightonian

Fred was hot and cold today, lots of really good use of the ball and as always provided 90% of our energy, but also very sloppy at times.

But the idea that anyone's praising Rice in comparison is absurd. Rice had one extremely limited job to do and he didn't even do that especially well today. And there's a huge willingness to forgive errors in opposition players that our own would never get away with. Rice produced a string of aimless balls forward capped off with a ballooned cross to nowhere from a really dangerous position near the end of the game. That last miscross on its own would have been enough to get Fred hung drawn and quartered on here.

Ekeke

Couple of things:

My comment about the data was in response to the statement saying Fred giving the ball away a lot during the first half. I don't think that is true at all.

The distinction between CM / DM isn't really relevant to what I was getting at. You can swap out CM to DM in my post if that makes you happy, but in terms of offensive involvement he was nothing special and any random premiership midfielder would have done what he did.

Defensively, I didn't really notice him doing anything exceptional bar maybe one tackle I vaguely remember but yes from those stats it looks like he put himself about a bit. As you say, comparing Fred vs Rice tackles etc. doesn't really make sense because they did nothing at all offensively for 60% of the game and just sat back blocking our attacks. You expect the stats to be inflated in that case.
Kinda. In this match that is the case for a direct comparison. But when we play on the counter in other matches where we sit back, then we can have a better comparison because we'd be doing what West Ham were doing. That said, West Ham attacked especially in that second half. We had to defend the box quite a bit and Maguire was up to it

MikeeMike

Hardly put a foot wrong. Good performance from both him and Maguire, haters must be seething seeing them play well :lol:
Quite the opposite, I’m happy he played well. Seething that he is mostly shocking.

Sir Marcus

I thought his passing was as poor as it usually is tonight, surprised at some of the comments on here.

Banana Republic

My brother-in-law is West Ham through and through, as is his son (my nephew). Totally unconnected to them, a very good mate of mine is a WHU season ticket holder.
All of them like Rice, but have said he’s very good at what he does when he has a good game and the team are playing well, but he can be ineffective and unreliable as well.
None of them rate him as some sort of midfield superstar and seem to be bemused some pundits think he is.
Rice is a tidy and mobile DM but isn’t the major upgrade that Utd need in that department.

Anyway, this is about Fred, not Rice.
I think Fred had a very good game tonight and had a big part in driving the team forward from midfield.
His passing was a lot better and more productive and effective for a change.
Put in a couple of really good penetrating passes as well.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
when you compare his all action performance with Rice who was very static or Soucek who was getting around more but not creating anything then I don’t see this supposed huge gulf in class. Rice is interesting because of his profile and future potential. He’s going to be a nailed on starter and probably a future leader for England but right now I see Rice and I see Kante and players like that and all they do is recycle the ball and it’s not overly ambitious passing that would ever add anything in an attacking sense, It’s just steady and tidy and they are much more defensive in their actions. Fred’s play is forcing more chances than these guys with more or less the same defensive output on top. He’s been in poor form for a while but he was pretty good again tonight.

I would still really like us to sign a proper DM to compliment what we’ve got and see where it takes us but we would also do well to remember we were all clamouring for this steady passing defensive midfielder and we got the leagues best statistically in Morgan S and he was just the most boring passenger player I think I’ve ever seen at United. He added nothing to the team at all. Obviously there are much better players out there for the position but nobody wants a repeat of that.

Litch

If Fred had over hit that pass as Rice did in the dying minutes, the insults would have been flooding in. Rice is a good Prem player but the overhype of other teams players on here is laughable......

Litch

when you compare his all action performance with Rice who was very static or Soucek who was getting around more but not creating anything then I don’t see this supposed huge gulf in class. Rice is interesting because of his profile and future potential. He’s going to be a nailed on starter and probably a future leader for England but right now I see Rice and I see Kante and players like that and all they do is recycle the ball and it’s not overly ambitious passing that would ever add anything in an attacking sense, It’s just steady and tidy and they are much more defensive in their actions. Fred’s play is forcing more chances than these guys with more or less the same defensive output on top. He’s been in poor form for a while but he was pretty good again tonight.

I would still really like us to sign a proper DM to compliment what we’ve got and see where it takes us but we would also do well to remember we were all clamouring for this steady passing defensive midfielder and we got the leagues best statistically in Morgan S and he was just the most boring passenger player I think I’ve ever seen at United. He added nothing to the team at all. Obviously there are much better players out there for the position but nobody wants a repeat of that.
Always wonder who is this so called proper DM? This player that can pass both short and long, creatively too. Tackle, run, cover ground, press and shoot from outside box whilst making assists too. Also score a few goals too. Sounds a bit like a player who is already here who has pretty much failed to deliver consistently.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Always wonder who is this so called proper DM? This player that can pass both short and long, creatively too. Tackle, run, cover ground, press and shoot from outside box whilst making assists too. Also score a few goals too. Sounds a bit like a player who is already here who has pretty much failed to deliver consistently.
Roy Keane who we never even tried to replace. Vidal would have been a cracking signing back in the Leverkusen days. We went in a different direction with carrick and bringing the lads out of retirement. Keeping Ando on oxygen and TC23 with his Spanish possession style passing:p

So we’ve basically had Keane and Robson who were generational box to box players that any team in history would be lucky to have. For other teams Yaya Toure was unplayable for a while. They aren’t common at that supposed level at all though. Stevie G maybe but he’s basically an attacking midfielder like Bruno the way I see it but he would track back and stick the foot in :lol:

If Pogba could tackle it would be him these days. I think If Pogba had some aggression and worked as hard as Fred or McT on the pitch he’d be the best midfielder in the league or even the world. He could be a scary player but I suppose that’s like saying I wish Fred could shoot. It ain’t happening.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thought Rice's positioning and playmaking were much better than Fred. I didn't expect anything when Fred had the ball.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
He was good on the ball. But he had a lot of time as well as he wasn't really being pressed. West Ham were happy sitting back. He had some nice dispossessions, but there were a few times in the 2nd half where he got outplayed and found himself out of position. Would have been a MotM contender if our CBs weren't rock solid.

Adam-Utd

He's also a brick wall most of the time, unlike Fred who you can bypass with ease 90% of the time.
That's because he spends 90% of his game standing 5 yards in front of his CB's. Much easier to be more aggressive with no space behind you.

He barely even got over the half way line!

Adam-Utd

And what's the use of Fred getting over the half way line?
You ask that about Fred but then expect Rice to do better? you'd be wanting him out after 2 months

Kostov

You ask that about Fred but then expect Rice to do better? you'd be wanting him out after 2 months
Not really, if Fred was the full package defensively I would have much less of an issue with his attacking game. I feel Rice can do the defending part to a higher degree, that's my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.