Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirScholes

Standard Fred, very busy, gets bullied by bigger players at times.
With pogba back it’s allowed Fred to go back to just being a pest for the opposition rather than get involved too much in the attack

MU655

Standard Fred, very busy, gets bullied by bigger players at times.
With pogba back it’s allowed Fred to go back to just being a pest for the opposition rather than get involved too much in the attack
Didn't Fred play quite a major part in the goal?

I think he does suit playing next to Pogba more, though. The midfield is more balanced.

Woodenlung

I thought he was the worst player on the pitch alongside McTominay in the first half. Neither could pass the ball progressively and Fred in particular kept losing the ball.

But as soon as Pogba came on he improved massively. Wasn't tasked with building up the play and could just close down Milan players.

Litch

Nope, people will only focus on the negatives. No doubt first half was poor amongst others but second half that's been the Fred for a long time.....

Litch

I thought he was the worst player on the pitch alongside McTominay in the first half. Neither could pass the ball progressively and Fred in particular kept losing the ball.

But as soon as Pogba came on he improved massively. Wasn't tasked with building up the play and could just close down Milan players.
Who built up the play then....

ChaddyP

tail of two halves. Was like a double agent in the first half. looked much more like himself in the second. Crazy player :lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He has almost no composure at all, he's just erratic and energetic. Did well for the goal of course, but was also the source of a lot of broken down attacks because of his inability to field a through ball or pass longer than 10 yards.

We need a serious upgrade on him.

Falcow

I think he does suit playing next to Pogba more, though. The midfield is more balanced.
Haven't you realised by now that much of Fred's work goes completely unnoticed, especially by the commentators for reasons unknown to me and also by many of our fans. Misplace a few passes however and see this thread light up.

Excellent in second half tonight.....you cant win the ball much higher up the pitch than the 6 year box.

Idxomer

How he went from that level in the 1st half to the one he had in the 2nd half is absolutely perplexing.

SirScholes

He does, he’s there being a pest ha that’s what I mean, that’s his contribution and when we have pogba+Bruno combo it’s alright to have him and mctom

I mean pest as a compliment, great energy levels, no need to worry about killer passes, that’s his dream role and he does it well

It’s when Bruno/pogba are missing and one of those two is asked to

Litch

He has almost no composure at all, he's just erratic and energetic. Did well for the goal of course, but was also the source of a lot of broken down attacks because of his inability to field a through ball or pass longer than 10 yards.

Second half.....?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Solskjaer must have punched him at half time, because that was some turn around in the second half.

SirScholes

Haven't you realised by now that much of Fred's work goes completely unnoticed, especially by the commentators for reasons unknown to me and also by many of our fans. Misplace a few passes however and see this thread light up.

Excellent in second half tonight.....you cant win the ball much higher up the pitch than the 6 year box.
It was in response to me calling him a pest which I meant in a good way.
That moment is typical Fred, amongst it causing chaos, not a great pass or shot or skill just wind milling in and we get the break.

He 100% needs pogba and Bruno

get a upgrade on mctom and maybe that would help should one of those two be missing

Glorio

I think with creative players around that can carry the burden of creation, he's great to have around, he can stick to what he's good at. When he has to be creative though, his flaws are obvious for all to see.

Basically:
2nd Half Fred - 1st Half Fred = Paul Pogba

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
What was so bad about the 1st half? You guys are so biased. Almost like it hurts to compliment him. Have to bring something else up..

Maureen-yo

What was so bad about the 1st half? You guys are so biased. Almost like it hurts to compliment him. Have to bring something else up..
His passing was absolutely atrocious and his touch and control were probably worse. Improved ten fold in the second half.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I don't need he misplaced a pass once in the second half. He was as composed as I've seen him, volleying passes and spreading play.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't need he misplaced a pass once in the second half. He was as composed as I've seen him.
There were a couple of occasions where we were on the break and he was unable to play the through pass accurately.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His passing was absolutely atrocious and his touch and control were probably worse. Improved ten fold in the second half.
Somewhere in between. He was good for the first 20-25 minutes or so (well, I missed the first 5 so no idea what happened there), then was poor for the rest of the half. Then obviously he had a very good second half.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Just because he was better doesn't mean he's the standard required.
It's funny though, Fred created a goal today and saved a European humilation, just like he did against PSG when he was MoTM.

If he's not playing, thats two eliminations. What is the amazing standard you speak of that happens when he doesn't play? Maybe he's not good for 2005 United, but he's been comofrtably better than most midfielders in United for past decade at least

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's funny though, Fred created a goal today and saved a European humilation, just like he did against PSG when he was MoTM.

If he's not playing, thats two eliminations. What is the amazing standard you speak of that happens when he doesn't play? Maybe he's not good for 2005 United, but he's been comofrtably better than most midfielders in United for past decade at least
The 'amazing' standard is a better midfielder than him - which isn't actually that amazing. I'm not going to get in a back and forth about hypothetical scenarios that's silly, especially if you're only going to cherry pick positive moments, and omit negative moments like his red card in the CL.
I get that he has a pretty strong following because he's dogged, doesn't stop running, and hounds the opposition players - I'm not disputing any of that, lots of fans have a preference for that type of player. I just want to see more quality and consistency in a midfield player.

In order for us to be able to break down teams who sit back against us we need more composure in our midfield, and someone who can pass consistently, not just sideways, not just to the closest player. Someone who can switch flanks, play through balls on the break, play 1-2's with the full back/wide forward and provide an attacking presence. That's not Fred.
Preferably I'd have us get an actual CDM and allow Pogba to be that player. If Pogba goes, then we'd need to replace him and either way Fred & McTominay become squad players.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
The 'amazing' standard is a better midfielder than him - which isn't actually that amazing. I'm not going to get in a back and forth about hypothetical scenarios that's silly, especially if you're only going to cherry pick positive moments, and omit negative moments like his red card in the CL.
I get that he has a pretty strong following because he's dogged, doesn't stop running, and hounds the opposition players - I'm not disputing any of that, lots of fans have a preference for that type of player. I just want to see more quality and consistency in a midfield player.

In order for us to be able to break down teams who sit back against us we need more composure in our midfield, and someone who can pass consistently, not just sideways, not just to the closest player. Someone who can switch flanks, play through balls on the break, play 1-2's with the full back/wide forward and provide an attacking presence. That's not Fred.
Preferably I'd have us get an actual CDM and allow Pogba to be that player. If Pogba goes, then we'd need to replace him and either way Fred & McTominay become squad players.
Pogba has been 5 years at United and has had classical tall, defensive DM's paired to him many times, you guys just forget it.

Good luck with that outdated style of 1 lazy CM + 1 workhorse.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When it comes to pressing and busying himself Fred's fantastic. For everything else he's a nothing player. He's basically Nicky Butt with less physicality, poorer passing and zero attacking threat. Great work for the goal but £50m was daylight robbery.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Pogba has been 5 years at United and has had classical tall, defensive DM's paired to him many times, you guys just forget it.

Good luck with that outdated style of 1 lazy CM + 1 workhorse.
I didn't say anything about a 'classical tall, defensive DM', I just said CDM - you're projecting. My ideal CDM would be in the mould of Makelele or Keane who were hardly tall and their style isn't 'outdated'.
Also are you suggesting Pogba is lazy?

Devil may care

I thought he had a really good second half after a mediocre first, he was more careful with the ball tonight as well.

stevoc

At least?

Let's say he's as good or maybe better than most midfielders at United since about 2014(though that's not saying much). Go back further than that or past the last decade and it wouldn't be the case i don't think.

stevoc

A case of Jekyll and Fred such a frustrating player. Atrocious first half yet good in the second half.

I'd like us to keep him as an option as i like him as a player but we need an upgrade on him in the next few years. Tonight showed with Pogba in there our attack flowed much more smoothly.

Last edited:

Hellboy

He‘s always the easy scapegoat, he had 30 more touches than McTominay. How are you supposed to play in a midfield 2 with a player who hides all the time ?

The Irish Connection

Hahaha. I’m starting to find it hilarious how biased people are against him. What are ye smoking? It’s certainly way stronger than what I have.
Rewind the match, 4th minute, that pass with his weak foot 30 yards whipped out to the right wing to Dan James to set us on a good break. Brilliant pass. That was the first half. Plus his usual good harrying and ball winning.
He made the goal tonight and was motm behind Lindelof for me.

stevoc

Hahaha. I’m starting to find it hilarious how biased people are against him. What are ye smoking? It’s certainly way stronger than what I have.
Rewind the match, 4th minute, that pass with his weak foot 30 yards whipped out to the right wing to Dan James to set us on a good break. Brilliant pass. That was the first half. Plus his usual good harrying and ball winning.
He made the goal tonight and was motm behind Lindelof for me.
Either biased against or for him let's be fair here, he seems to split opinion like few other players can. Going off this thread he's either one of our most important players or one of our worst and holding us back. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between those polarized opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.