5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riz

He’s been horrendous recently which is really sad considering there was a point last season (think around Xmas) where he was putting together a decent string of performances.

The massive issue for us is that the only solution is starting Matic each week and then you’ll have the exact same (justified) outcry about his limitations with people calling for him to be dropped as well. Ole has probably evaluated that Fred’s worst level is better than Matic’s and so has gone for the lesser evil.

We need to find a fix and get through to January. I doubt we have plans to recruit a temporary replacement but if these central performances go on much longer you’d think we’d have no choice.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Matic shows exactly what you need from a player in Fred’s role when pushing late for a goal. Just that little bit of composure and vision to give one of the attackers an opportunity to get a shot off.

Andrew7582

Every time he got the ball today I was praying for him not to feck up again, just dreadful.

Nick7

I don’t think he was even that bad today. Few poor passes in the second half. He was average but I don’t get the vitriol. I don’t particularly rate him but I think the narrative around him since the Southampton game (where he was very poor, but largely left to do all the midfield work alone) has been weird.

Tony247

Watching him and McT I think McT alone would be enough. Fred is liability anyway.

Dempsey19

Did anybody notice there was plenty of times Fred was favourite to get to the ball first and somehow still managed to not get there, or else he did and fecked it up somehow. That's a strange ability.

Sviken

Utterly mind-boggling how he is seemingly undroppable. I remember the same stuff with Moyes and Fellaini, but Fellaini was at least useful to some degree. With Fred is like us playing 10v12 every game. Sorry i'm not cheering like a cheerleader and closing my eyes to the obvious nightmare in front of us. I lost count of how many dangerous counter-attacks were started by West Ham due to Fred's inability to make a 1 meter pass with no pressure on him whatsoever.

Kaos

Wonder what his personal stats were for that game in terms of 50-50s won, tackles made, passes etc.

For a supposed defensive midfielder he didn't seem to do much ball winning, and his passing was predictably awful.

Andrew7582

I don’t think he was even that bad today. Few poor passes in the second half. He was average but I don’t get the vitriol. I don’t particularly rate him but I think the narrative around him since the Southampton game (where he was very poor, but largely left to do all the midfield work alone) has been weird.
He is an accident waiting to happen against good counter attacking sides, either with a poor first touch, underhit pass or just being outmuscled to set up a counter.

Abhinav

With Mctominay back, I would bench him for a couple of games. Was really poor and I was wincing every time he got the ball. Really killed a lot of momentum today with poor touches and poor passes. Needs to wake the hell up if we want to win more comfortably.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The only player I can think of who can make a 50/50 out of an uncontested pass to his feet in yards of space.

How many simple passes either just bounced off him, or went under his foot? And he is so slow off the mark, he loses a race to the ball against players who are significantly further away.

I'd take Morgan Schneiderlin over Fred.

Morgan. Schnierderlin.

Nick7

He is an accident waiting to happen against good counter attacking sides, either with a poor first touch, underhit pass or just being outmuscled to set up a counter.
I don’t rate him, and I know all of that. But he was just average today, you’d expect it to have been the worst performance ever judging by comments here.

The Siege

Every time I see him play, I want to personally write up the paperwork that cancels Garner's loan.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even judging him by his own standards, he's had a bad start to the season.

Pronewbie

Peep
In the last 15mins he was on the pitch, Fred was definitely targeted by West Ham to have the ball to build from the back. His team-mates also didn't trust him with it in dangerous situations.

He also gives away at least 2 dangerous transitions to the opposition almost every game.

Not good enough to be a consistent starter unless we're satisfied with a top 4 finish every season.

The Matic substitution was a credit to Ole and the team.

championo

Top Stalker
Every time he got the ball today I was praying for him not to feck up again, just dreadful.
For me since his first game for us. Go listen to Deenay's take on Fred on how his team saw/see him and how they game plan against him as our weakest link. they know he will give the wrong pass so it is their que to press us when we pass to Fred. really sad.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I had my wrist band on while watching match today and my band recorded cardio activity in certain periods of the match. Mostly when Fred had the ball. My god he looks bad on ball. Is he really Brazillian?

championo

Top Stalker
In the last 15mins he was on the pitch, he was definitely targeted by West Ham to have the ball to build from the back. Also gives away at least 2 dangerous transitions to the opposition almost every game.

Not good enough to be a consistent starter unless we're satisfied with a top 4 finish every season.

The Matic substitution was a credit to Ole and the team.
Troy Deenay did this for our coaches and we still play him. It was free advice/scouting. Even if not true, it is the belief that you can't get the ball easily from Fred is what worries me the most.
https://www.sportbible.com/football...-analysis-of-man-utd-midfielder-fred-20201022

Last edited:

Sviken

Troy Deenay did this for our coaches and we still play him. It was free advice/scouting
https://www.sportbible.com/football...-analysis-of-man-utd-midfielder-fred-20201022
This is some embarrassing stuff for us. Imagine midtable players basically laughing at you and giving you advice on how to be better :houllier:. Fred is Ole's best friend or something, I have no other explanation as to why he continues to play. He is not good defensively and he sure as hell is not good offensively. You put a dummy on that midfield and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
How come he plays professionally in top tier of football? Unbelievable.

Tragically Hip

When he miscontrols a pass/dribble, his little legs can't make up the distance to recover.

EtH

Embarrassingly bad with the ball.
And not particularly good without it. Shocking performance. Can’t believe he stayed on and Pogba came off. He was absolutely infuriating today.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Clearly he is out of form. Around Xmas last year he was looking like an absolute beast. Wonder if he has managed to get home and how the covid situation has effected him.

The Hilton

I can't understand the vitriol he's getting on here, for most of the match his energy and pressing was good. His weakness in possession against a low block became apparent towards the end, but far from the abject performance people are making out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He’s had some really good games for us but they are looking more and more distant now. He makes extremely basic errors multiple times a game.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
typical enough of our fans after a win away to a tricky and in form team. Thought he was pretty industrious. Flawed on the ball and isn’t having a good season so far but it isn’t a coincidence that we genuinely are harder to beat when he plays and we get walked through when he doesn’t

Sylar

It's annoying seeing him try to do things we know he cannot do

But then it's also annoying when he can't pass or control the ball from a five yard pass.

His biggest strength is meant to be harrying, pressing and getting the ball. It should then be giving it to the better players but he's like a poor version of Anderson

He hasn't started the season well. But we will use him for the big games because of the base he provides is the best for a 90 minute game

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good enough for Brazil NT, so must be good... some said.

Pronewbie

Peep
Every opponent sees it. I hear he is the trigger man to initiate pressing in our half. WTF.
Certainly looked that way during certain moments in the past few games, which may explain his apparent dip in form. His backers will point to his all-action style which I like too, but he negates that by giving away pointless dangerous transitions every game. It doesn't instill confidence and makes the team jittery. It is unacceptable at the level we aspire to achieve.

laughtersassassin

Was Ok. McTominay better I felt.

Lost so many 50/50s today.

I want to see Pogba and McTominay for a few games.

They been the best in the two so far this season but we haven't seen them together

Sylar

Certainly looked that way during certain moments in the past few games, which may explain his apparent dip in form. His backers will point to his all-action style which I like too, but he negates that by giving away pointless dangerous transitions every game. It doesn't instill confidence and makes the team jittery. It is unacceptable at the level we aspire to achieve.
Giving it away on the edge of the opponents box under no pressure seems to happen a lot recently too

Status
Not open for further replies.