Fred | no longer Fred the Red but now a Turkish delight

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

So it seems definitive that he's going, but where? Fulham was really hot at the start of the window, but has gone quiet, Galatasary have submitted bids but too low, and there's been lots of talk of Saudi, but no bid as far as I'm aware. Do we actually know where he's going?
Yeah anyone heard anything from reliable source

al tuna

Hope he stays in the Prem with Fulham. Have a bit of a soft spot for him. I couldn't care less what we get for him. On his day I think he's really, really good. But not nearly consistent enough. He's either brilliant some of the time or making bonkers decisions most of the time.

SAFMUTD

I doubt its a personal problemThe manager is simply trying to lower the average age of the midfield i think so they dont all go over the hill at once. Of the over 30's he's the lowest quality so he's been singled out for moving on.
I would have rather kept Fred than Eriksen as it seems Eriksen legs have completely gone.

But I don't mind selling Fred we need better quality on the ball to compete.

Abraxas

I'll miss him. A bit anyway. He's a little scrapper at his best. But of course he does have far too many flaws as a footballer for this level of club so you can understand ETH losing patience with his sloppy play.

Not totally convinced he's the one to lose over Eriksen who I don't think will add too much this season, but hey ho.

GoldanoGraham

All gone quiet - not sure what’s going on with Fred - he had issues to deal with instead of going on tour and wonder if they are holding things up?

Norris Cole

Not totally convinced he's the one to lose over Eriksen who I don't think will add too much this season, but hey ho.
Eriksen may be invaluable as a mentor for Hojlund who will have massive pressure on him this season.

Kostov

I hope the club is not unrealistic and holding this up. He's a mediocre player on high wages, let him have a good move for some symbolic fee and we get a replacement on time.

Devil You Know

We spent £45m net on Maguire.

Considering we bought Fred for £50m, if we can get £5m for him to achieve the same £45m net figure, that would be fine.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
We spent £45m net on Maguire.

Considering we bought Fred for £50m, if we can get £5m for him to achieve the same £45m net figure, that would be fine.
That would be a -£90 million loss.

Horrendous signings, Maguire in particular.

Devil You Know

They're about equal.

Maguire was more consistent in the first half of his United career, then fell off a cliff in the second half.

Fred lurched from similar heights to similar lows, with the difference that he went from one extreme to the other every weekend.

Overall, they're comparable in terms of what they contributed and probably also what they'll have cost.

Devil You Know

@Devil You Know is a glass half full kinda person

@shaggy is a glass half empty kinda person
Every player costs something. But you have to measure that against the amount that they give back.

Glass half empty is only looking at the cost of the player. Glass half full is only looking at the return on investment that they give on the pitch.

I'd like to think I'm looking at both the cost and the return on investment and coming up with a net value. So I'd prefer to describe myself as "glass contains some amount of water so it's neither empty nor full".

Alemar

Where is at least some confirmation of him being gone? No journalist is reporting anything concrete on Fred

OrcaFat

I'll miss him. A bit anyway. He's a little scrapper at his best. But of course he does have far too many flaws as a footballer for this level of club so you can understand ETH losing patience with his sloppy play.

Eriksen coming on for the last 20 mins when the opposition is tired and we need calmness will be useful.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Yeah has been very quiet for ages
If reports are to be believed it's because he was considering a Saudi big because Galatasaray bid too low but now Fulham came back to the table this morning and we are negotiating with them now as he would prefer to go there

croadyman

If reports are to be believed it's because he was considering a Saudi big because Galatasaray bid too low but now Fulham came back to the table this morning and we are negotiating with them now as he would prefer to go there
How much are they offering?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
How much are they offering?
No idea, I know Gala offered around £7m and we laughed it, wanted £20m and educated guess would be that Fulham are perhaps £12m + Bonus and we settle around £15m with incentives included but that's complete conjecture on my part.

Scholsey2004

I would have rather kept Fred than Eriksen as it seems Eriksen legs have completely gone.

But I don't mind selling Fred we need better quality on the ball to compete.
Yeah, Eriksen looks leggy. He's still got that bit extra quality though as a bit part player, either coming on as sub or coming off after 60-70 minutes.

Scholsey2004

No idea, I know Gala offered around £7m and we laughed it, wanted £20m and educated guess would be that Fulham are perhaps £12m + Bonus and we settle around £15m with incentives included but that's complete conjecture on my part.
Sounds about right. We're doing much better business this summer at both ends.

GL21

He should never have graced OT as a home player. He has really been detrimental to my enjoyment watching United since his first season. I will truly be so delighted at his imminent transfer.

Abraxas

Eriksen coming on for the last 20 mins when the opposition is tired and we need calmness will be useful.
Possible. Depends if we do that passive thing where we totally drop off deep and rely on counters when we're winning. I think Fred was really good at breaking up play in those situations and carrying the ball a bit. Eriksen's passing range can be useful, especially if we need to find a goal, I just think as an overall package he won't offer too much this season as I think physically he's not there and it's hard to mask that.

Paul778

Possible. Depends if we do that passive thing where we totally drop off deep and rely on counters when we're winning. I think Fred was really good at breaking up play in those situations and carrying the ball a bit. Eriksen's passing range can be useful, especially if we need to find a goal, I just think as an overall package he won't offer too much this season as I think physically he's not there and it's hard to mask that.
Depends on the game situation. Erikson would be great for breaking up a low block in the last 20 mins when chasing the game

OrcaFat

Yeah he can’t keep up from the start but he’ll do alright when everyone’s knackered. We need to learn to control the end of games we are goals up in, take the sting out, slow it down, keep it for a while. Fred is a great disrupter but it ends with two chaotic teams, each trying to look more desperate than the other.

Eriksen could also come on if we’re losing and struggling to make chances - he’s still got the vision.

He’s a 20-minute guy now, imo, but still better than Fred.

Castia

Weird one this

No recent links, completely ditched by the club. Available for around 12-15m you would think that would attract a lot of interest but it’s gone complete quiet

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I was hoping for more but he is in the last year of his deal

jadaba

I believe that'd be a record signing for them. I think we'll accept this, it's an appropriate figure.

Bogga

That leaves number 17 to Höylund... I took a chance on him getting that number in odds or evens! Make it happen :D

whitbyviking

How is it a £90m loss? We have had usage of the players since we bought them, that doesn't generally come for free.

I never understand why people think you "lose" on the fee of a player, if they never played then maybe yes, but when they do play they are doing what you paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.