Fred | no longer Fred the Red but now a Turkish delight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnold Layne

Good luck Fred I will always remember him for the equaliser against Barca last season it pushed us on to win the game and tie. It also contributed to epic celebrations as the end.

MadMike

I’ll miss him a bit. He always gave everything and had some very good seasons. I wish him all the best.

city-puma

One of my favorites. He always gives his all and fighting spirit. He has been brilliant for us to go through those turbulent years. It’s unfortunate that he didn’t win more trophies with us, same to many other good players over the post-SAF era.
Wish him all the best in the future. He will come back as one of us. No doubt about it.

Castia

It’s a sad one because whilst he wasn’t always great at the very minimum he worked his bollocks off

GL Fred

SAFMUTD

Overall underwhelming signing. The most unbrazilian Brazilian midfielder I've seen. Good runner and high energy but very little quality with the ball.

The fact he's a Brazilian international is mind-blowing to me. The fact only Turkish clubs were interested enough to get him even when he was available for such a low fee says all about his quality.

Good riddance.

Malone_Post

Will always have a place in my heart for Fred. Very likeable guy who always gave his all. Had genuine quality too but was badly misused for multiple years. Ironically it was ETH that got the best out of him last season in a more advanced role, where he should have always played. Personally would have kept him over Eriksen & Scott but I guess with his age & contract situation it makes sense that he’s the one to go.

Wishing you all the best Pastor Fred! Hope he has a great time in Turkey.

zaafi

Overall underwhelming signing. The most unbrazilian Brazilian midfielder I've seen. Good runner and high energy but very little quality with the ball.

The fact he's a Brazilian international is mind-blowing to me. The fact only Turkish clubs were interested enough to get him even when he was available for such a low fee says all about his quality.

Good riddance.
Yeah, he's been a midfielder for United for 5 years and almost single-handedly ran the show against PSG and City's midfield, but a Turkish club is his level. Some of the posts on here are just so tragic.

AndySmith1990

Yeah, he's been a midfielder for United for 5 years and almost single-handedly ran the show against PSG and City's midfield, but a Turkish club is his level. Some of the posts on here are just so tragic.
Exaggerate much?

Devil You Know

A Turkish club is literally his level.

zaafi

A Turkish club is literally his level.
Of course he could play at a mid-table or lower level PL club. Are you having a laugh? The guy has been a major part of a midfield that has ended up 3rd, 2nd and 6th twice. What on Earth makes you think he isn't good enough for Burnley, Fulham or Luton Town? Ffs mate :lol:

Oranges038

Now, imagine if he was that good every week.

He wasn't.

Hence why he's heading to Turkey and not another top team.

the_cliff

You can tell Fred is a nice guy. Wish him well in Turkey, he never complained about anything here just got on with the job and left everything on the pitch, the distance he used to cover was ridiculous.

That being said it's good we're being ruthless in letting players go.

zaafi

Now, imagine if he was that good every week.

He wasn't.

Hence why he's heading to Turkey and not another top team.
If he's not good enough for United, why would another top team want him?

I'm not saying it has to be a top club, but the posters claiming that the Turkish league is his level and that he couldn't play for another team in PL are out of their minds.

jesperjaap

"He lways worked hard".....seems to be the general sentiment here and that he appeared a nice guy.

He had some good moments and wish him well, but I wont miss him, in terms of the transfer fee, pound for pound one of the worst signings we have made. If Fred was 25, in the current market he isnt even a player shold generate the fee we paid, let alone when we did.

Have to say in retrospect, Mourinhos signings bar short term ones were very poor and Fred for me is definately in that category.

Finally we have a manager that knows there is a lot of dead wood to clear out and signings to be made. The only other manager to do that was Van Gaal and he did it really badly. Ten Hag had a deal of fortune that some of the older and toxic players left for free when he took over, he has already moved on those he found toxic to the squad, the youngsters he didnt see makign it and now he is starting to move on the players he doesnt feel are good enough for the squad

Oranges038

If he's not good enough for United, why would another top team want him?

I'm not saying it has to be a top club, but the posters claiming that the Turkish league is his level and that he couldn't play for another team in PL are out of their minds.
Simple fact that no PL team was willing to stump up the fee for him would suggest otherwise.

zaafi

Simple fact that no PL team was willing to stump up the fee for him would suggest otherwise.
So because they don't want him, he's not good enough for them? Strange logic.

We're not looking to get in Verratti. Do you think he's not good enough for us?

Oranges038

So because they don't want him, he's not good enough for them? Strange logic.

We're not looking to get in Verratti. Do you think he's not good enough for us?
If he was available and Utd didn't pursue him, then you would be right to assume Utd thought he wouldn't be good enough.

Fred was available for a reasonable fee and nobody in any decent league wanted him for that price. So you would have to assume that no teams thought he was good enough. And that's that's why he's ended up in Turkey.

SAFMUTD

I'd imagine a player capable of almost single-handedly ran the show against PSG and City's midfield was available would have offers from all top clubs. Specially if the fee was as below as 10-15M But that didn't happened? Why?

Because you're making it up. He was never more than a high energy player. He's a likeable lad in the way that you always get the effort from him. But top clubs demand much more than that.

DarkXaero

If he was available and Utd didn't pursue him, then you would be right to assume Utd thought he wouldn't be good enough.

Fred was available for a reasonable fee and nobody in any decent league wanted him for that price. So you would have to assume that no teams thought he was good enough. And that's that's why he's ended up in Turkey.
It's not just about fees, its about wages and the other parts of the package too. Neymar and Verratti are available right now, yet we probably don't pursue them, even on loan, why do you think that might be?

zaafi

Mate, think about what you're saying.

Are you genuinely suggesting that midfielders like Oliver Norwood, Joe Rothwell, Harrison Reed and Ruddock Pelly are better than Fred?

zaafi

I'd imagine a player capable of almost single-handedly ran the show against PSG and City's midfield was available would have offers from all top clubs. Specially if the fee was as below as 10-15M But that didn't happened? Why?

Because you're making it up. He was never more than a high energy player. He's a likeable lad in the way that you always get the effort from him. But top clubs demand much more than that.
It's because it happened years ago and he's not the same player as he is getting older. Do you not remember these matches or something?

Top clubs aren't in for him because he is ridiculously inconsistent.
"Never more than a high energy player" :lol: That was absolutely his strongest aspect, but now you're just talking shit.

CloneMC16

It’s interesting how in this stat-obsessed age, where so much football discourse is basically people throwing numbers at each other over the internet, actually watching matches and basing your opinions on the evidence of your own eyes is now dismissed as a ‘weird gut feeling’.
It's because the eye test is not completely reliable and shows bias. People ignore the good things that players they don't like do, but point out every single misplaced pass, lost duel, other mistakes, etc. This very consistently happened with Fred.

Stats are not everything, but when people says things that aren't factual, it's nice to have something to back up your point.

alexthelion

Fred was worth next to nothing because he’s a terrible footballer.
Wrong.

If he didn't need a new contract soon I would be quite happy to keep him as a squad player.

Fred is inconsistent, that's his problem.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Good luck Fred I will always remember him for the equaliser against Barca last season it pushed us on to win the game and tie. It also contributed to epic celebrations as the end.
Yeah this is the overriding memory I take from his time here. As well as being pretty much the only squad member who didn’t toss it off under Ragnick.

DSG

Wow. Had no idea there were so many that were enamored with Fred. He had his uses, but wasn’t good at distribution, wasn’t consistent, had poor positioning defensively, couldn’t shoot, had a loose touch and was bad at playing through the press. Didn’t realize this was a debate :nervous:

iHicksy

Well, yes, but why are you watching every Brighton game? Let me guess, your brother-in-law is a huge Brighton fan so you watch them together.

Fred is not a great midfielder, but he has had decent spells for us, and performances where he absolutely ran the show against PSG and City's midfield. Let's not act like he's a trash player. Maybe not United quality, but he was part of a midfield that ended up 3rd twice and 2nd once.
Why the feck does it matter why I watch every Brighton game? Wind your neck in you're so obtuse. Oh wow, he played one good game for United. I'm not acting like he's trash - but you're changing your argument yet again because you're wrong. It's gone from he's up there with Caiedo we should get more money for him because "stats" to "well he's not total rubbish". The fact is he's not good enough and the entire footballing world agrees that he isn't.

zaafi

Wow. Had no idea there were so many that were enamored with Fred. He had his uses, but wasn’t good at distribution, wasn’t consistent, had poor positioning defensively, couldn’t shoot, had a loose touch and was bad at playing through the press. Didn’t realize this was a debate :nervous:
He had seasons where he was actually very good in terms of passing and distribution. His inconsistency and some of his horror passes have skewed people's view on him in a very negative way.

This is from the 20/21 season

SAFMUTD

It's because it happened years ago and he's not the same player as he is getting older. Do you not remember these matches or something?

Top clubs aren't in for him because he is ridiculously inconsistent.
"Never more than a high energy player" :lol: That was absolutely his strongest aspect, but now you're just talking shit.
It happened years ago one time in your mind mate. He never single handledly dominated PSG nor City. We've never dominated City since Pep came, we have competed but have never dominated them nevermind Fred doing it by himself.

You're the one talking about Fred being some kind of eminence dominating top teams by himself but Im the one talking shit :confused:

zaafi

Why the feck does it matter why I watch every Brighton game? Wind your neck in you're so obtuse. Oh wow, he played one good game for United. I'm not acting like he's trash - but you're changing your argument yet again because you're wrong. It's gone from he's up there with Caiedo we should get more money for him because "stats" to "well he's not total rubbish". The fact is he's not good enough and the entire footballing world agrees that he isn't.
:lol: :lol: fecking hell

zaafi

It happened years ago one time in your mind mate. He never single handledly dominated PSG nor City. We've never dominated City since Pep came, we have competed but have never dominated them nevermind Fred doing it by himself.

You're the one talking about Fred being some kind of eminence dominating top teams by himself but Im the one talking shit :confused:
You do understand it's meant as a figure of speech, and not that he literally single-handedly carries a team. Surely you agree that United wouldn't have won if he was alone in midfield against 3 of their midfielders? It means that he did a lot of the work needed to make sure we won.

You are talking shit because you're saying that the only thing he was good at was being a high-energy player. I've provided a screenshot of his distribution and passing above your post, so you can clearly see that's not the case. That same season he was in the top percentile for tackling and very high for interceptions. I get it, you don't like him and you don't think he's a pleasing footballer to watch, but don't just make things up.

AFC NimbleThumb

Failed at what?
Alas, you’re still here not getting me to read past the first sentence.

Do better.
Yes, they are better players, which makes it even stranger. Why aren't other clubs in for them?

We've yet to see a club from a major league looking to sign Neymar or Verratti, so why is that? According to what you just said, that means they're not particularly good.
If you honestly can not see the stark difference in circumstances between Veratti/Neymar & Fred then it’s a moot conversation.
:lol: So salty.
New tagline please mods.
Can see you worked hard for yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.