French Elections 2017

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Edouard Phillippe is the rumored favourite. He is a republican.
Thanks. I don't know him but hope he's a moderate.

German media cannot wait for Macron's visit tomorrow. EM is on the cover of almost every relevant paper. :D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Thanks. I don't know him but hope he's a moderate.

German media cannot wait for Macron's visit tomorrow. EM is on the cover of almost every relevant paper. :D
Why is he liked in Germany? I heard that he impressed his European peers at Brussels but I don't know why.

Crossie

Supports
Why is he liked in Germany? I heard that he impressed his European peers at Brussels but I don't know why.
Because he's centrist and pro EU. As you know, we've had coalition governments for most of the centuries since WWII. We don't like extremes or one party dominating. Depending on the position, Macron is within manifesto spectrum of either CDU/CSU or SPD. That's why he's quite well received.

Crossie

Supports
Macron's PM to be announced any minute. Cabinet to be named tomorrow.

Edit: It is Edouard Philippe. 46 years old, mayor of Le Havre, alumni of ENA, son of two teachers. A centrist Republican they said in the news. Started his career somewhere on the left, backed Michel Rocard (spell?), a MP of Mitterand, and moved to the center/right during his political career.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
So does this guy defect or is he staying with LR? Realignments are confusing.

Crossie

Supports
If Wikipedia is correct, he passed his A levels in Bonn, Germany. I would expect him to know how to play us Germans then. :D

Crossie

Supports
Merkron met for the first time as Chancellor and President. No kisses or hugs, just some friendly pads on the shoulders and an amazing harmony. :D

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Merkron met for the first time as Chancellor and President. No kisses or hugs, just some friendly pads on the shoulders and an amazing harmony. :D

A match made in heaven, it should get more physical very soon. Macron <3 older ladies. :rolleyes:

Crossie

Supports
Most of them I don't know, Le Drian and Collomb in the two big posts seem good choices. Always thought Bayrou was a creep.
Other than that JPR might know more about the others
Cheers!

Crossie

Supports
Half of them are unknown, Le Drian, Collomb, De Sarnez and Le Maire are decent people. I'm a centrist and I don't like Bayrou, he is a self absorbed prick, imo.
Thanks to you too. Saw the video clip in which Bayrou slaps a young pocket thief. Ouch. :wenger:

Ubik

En Marche pulling further ahead for the legislatives

Crossie

Supports
It's hard to tell though how it'll translate into seats.

What I find very pleasing is that FN seems to not expand their appeal but if anything it's shrinking. Of course they'll gain seats compared to what they have now. However, it'll be interesting to see which communities are real FN strongholds that vote in the 2nd head-to-head round for a candidate of that despicable party.

Ubik

En Marche heading for big majority at first estimate

JPRouve

Scout
En Marche heading for big majority at first estimate

The turnout is ridiculous low, it seems that only En Marche voters were interested.

Ubik

The turnout is ridiculous low, it seems that only En Marche voters were interested.
Seems so

Could wake a few people up for the second round I suppose. What are the PS going to do now?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Good for him and France.
They need reform and hope the Unions play a constructive role.

Revan

Assumptionman
Fantastic result for Macron. His party will have 3/4 of the senators.

Le Pen won't be able to even have a parliamentary group on the other side (projected 1-4 senators).

Ubik

Wonder if he'll talk to May about how he's finding this election lark. "At first everyone said I'd struggle to get a majority and face five years being called a weak leader, but it turned out that I got a massive landslide. Weird. Hey how did yours go?"

Ubik

It's like a Lib Dem "winning here" leaflet but it's actually telling the truth

Fergies Gum

Needs to get a grip. Acting like this is going to alienate the people who voted for him and for the rest of us.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Macron addressed both houses at Versailles, similar to a SOTU address in the US.
Some ok with that, some see it as "monarchical drift".
Vowing also to cut the number of MPs by one third.
What's the reaction in France to that?

JPRouve

Scout
Macron addressed both houses at Versailles, similar to a SOTU address in the US.
Some ok with that, some see it as "monarchical drift".
Vowing also to cut the number of MPs by one third.
What's the reaction in France to that?
Some like it, others don't.

Full bodied red

And over the weekend there was a conference to 'think about' how to cut the Budget Defecit to 3% as required by the EU and ECB rules.

One of the things being ' thought about ' is to make about 120,000 Public Employees redundant.

I hope the unions decide to have the General Strike while I'm in the UK or somewhere else rather than when our friends and families are here over summer.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I hadn't heard about the 120K reduction. What's that in % terms?
The 1/3 MP cut is a decent chunk of money I'd imagine. Can't see those feckers voting to cut their own jobs though, so it might have to go to a referendum. Or he could posturing to get his own way.

Full bodied red

I hadn't heard about the 120K reduction. What's that in % terms?
The 1/3 MP cut is a decent chunk of money I'd imagine. Can't see those feckers voting to cut their own jobs though, so it might have to go to a referendum. Or he could posturing to get his own way.

No idea....Perhaps JP can help with that answer.

As for posturing....

Don't all politicos have a Masters Degree in Posturing ? But seriously, might be a good idea, might be a bad idea, although it won't actually solve our basic problems of too much State interference, too much State expenditure, and criminally high unemployment rates of younger people.