French Elections 2017

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hadn't heard about the 120K reduction. What's that in % terms?
The 1/3 MP cut is a decent chunk of money I'd imagine. Can't see those feckers voting to cut their own jobs though, so it might have to go to a referendum. Or he could posturing to get his own way.
There is 5.6m public employees in France. Too much.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So let's add it all up:

But unusually for a French politician, he warned against the encroachments of the welfare state on the citizens’ sense of personal responsibility.
“But protecting the weakest doesn’t mean transforming them into helpless minors,” he said. “Every French person has a responsibility and a role to play in the conquests to come."
Radical centre FTW.
Also, WTF is that in bold?

He got in a dig at the French news media, which he has largely shunned since his election, calling for “an end to these manhunts,” the “incessant search for scandal” and a “frenzy that is unworthy of us” — and that has already cost him several ministers, tainted by potential financial misdeeds.

However, Mr. Macron himself largely benefited from the most notorious such “manhunt” this year. He would probably not have been elected but for revelations in the news media about an embezzlement scandal touching his leading rival, the center-right politician François Fillon.

For a start, he proposed shrinking by a third the body that was listening to him, France’s plethoric Parliament of over 900 members. Then, he told the lawmakers that they had to legislate less.

“Let’s try to put an end to the proliferation of legislation,” he said — which was not consistent with the rapidly changing economy and society that confronts France.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
In Sun King's palace, Macron threatens to ram through parliament reform

France's new president, Emmanuel Macron, told parliament in a ceremonial address on Monday that he would seek direct approval from voters in a referendum if parliament failed to sign off his intended institutional reforms quickly enough.
Macron's aides had said that, by bringing parliament's 925 lawmakers to the 17th century palace built outside Paris by Louis XIV - the 'Sun King' - the president was seeking to restore old-fashioned grandeur to the role.
The sensible centrist :)
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-politics-idUSKBN19O1AN

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
In my continuing crusade against the new leader of the free world, tweet #346

JPRouve

Scout
The tweet is more aimed at the liberals both here in the UK and the US who would never call themselves right wing but have fallen hard for Macron.
Oh I see. I have been surprised to see people in the US label him as a lefty, people did it in France but it was generally right wing voters trying to dismiss him when his message was in my opinion clear. He is center right by french standard.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Oh I see. I have been surprised to see people in the US label him as a lefty, people did it in France but it was generally right wing voters trying to dismiss him when his message was in my opinion clear. He is center right by french standard.
They essentially agree with Macron politics but for various reasons they cling onto the idea of being Left Wing.

JPRouve

Scout
They essentially agree with Macron politics but for various reasons they cling onto the idea of being Left Wing.
I think that it's the Bipartisanim that creates that, it would be weird if the two parties were labelled right and center right. I do remember that in political science we used to consider that Hillary Clinton was center right while the GOP was the right.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A little out of date, but Macron did something good, and Melenchon the opposite.

Responding to Macron’s speech in which Macron said France needed to take responsibility for its role in the roundup and extermination of the Jews (for decades, a touchy subject in France), Mélenchon resorts to the worst nationalist tropes to defend the honor of the French nation.

Never, at any moment, did the French choose murder and anti-Semitic criminality. Those who were not Jewish were not all, and as French people, guilty of the crime that was carried out at the time! On the contrary, through its resistance, its fight against the [German] invader and through the reestablishment of the republic when the [Germans] were driven out of the territory, the French people, the French people proved which side they were actually on.

Not only is what Mélenchon said an offense against the historical record, but it evinces all the worst features of nationalism that I loathe: the special pleading, the knee-jerk impulse to defend one’s own (with the implicit acknowledgment that the Jews aren’t thought of as one’s own), the retrograde identity politics (one might say the original form of identity politics), the offshoring of evil (though in this regard, Mélenchon ties himself in knots, saying, according to that Haaretz report, that Vichy wasn’t really France; France was off in London), the tribalism and groupiness. Even worse, this desire to assert and insist upon the purity of one’s group: deep down, we’re really good, it was those evil politicians, who weren’t really French in their hearts, who did the bad things. That kind of thinking is just the flip side of Bush-style axis of evil talk. The left should defend collectives, yes, but for God’s sake, let them be collectives based on justice rather than purity, and let them be collectives other than the French—or any other—nation.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Popularity rating less than Hollande, impressive to say the least. We wanted different, we voted for the same old shit.
Is this true? I was looking it up, and it said that it's the biggest decline since Chirac in 1995, but Hollande's polling was seriously grim so I doubt it's that bad.

JPRouve

Scout
Is this true? I was looking it up, and it said that it's the biggest decline since Chirac in 1995, but Hollande's polling was seriously grim so I doubt it's that bad.
It was kind of expected and it should be worse in the near future. Basically the left and the right don't like him.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yes, biggest decline in 1st month.

Full bodied red

Don't forget that in just a two horse race, only about 30% of the electorate actually voted for him....So to be expected.

But that's how the system works.

Maybe we should change the system so that election of an EXECUTIVE PRESIDENT should have at least 50% plus of the electorate voting for him / her.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Don't forget that in just a two horse race, only about 30% of the electorate actually voted for him....So to be expected.

But that's how the system works.

Maybe we should change the system so that election of an EXECUTIVE PRESIDENT should have at least 50% plus of the electorate voting for him / her.
Melenchon proposed radically reducing the power of the presidency., the opposite direction from Macron and probably Le Pen.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/31/france-reveals-measures-to-overhaul-working-life

Emmanuel Macron’s government has revealed a “major and ambitious” transformation of France’s complex labour laws aimed at tackling mass unemployment and making the country more competitive in the global market.
French unions gave a mixed but mostly “disappointed” response to the reforms, which will reduce their influence at company level, make it easier to hire and fire, and end the jobs-for-life culture French ministers say is a brake on economic growth.
Decrees are a rarely used constitutional device that enable the government to effect the changes without a parliamentary debate or vote.
Philippe added that Macron and his centrist government had been given a clear mandate by voters in France’s presidential and legislative elections to reform the Code du Travail.
As to the last point, 43% of Macron voters chose him to avoid his opponent and 8% for his personality. Only 16% specifically said they voted because of his manifesto.

JPRouve

Scout
It's worth mentioning that the strikes weren't a success. Between 200k-500k nationally.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
In France, how long do you have to pay someone for after sacking them?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
FFS. Getting a few 2003 flashbacks now in the way the sharks are circling.

JPRouve

Scout
Popularity taking a hit...oh I know, I'll try and sound tough

To complete this post and make it actually useful. He said that the 2015 agreement was good and should be respected by both sides but that it probably needed to be completed with a monitoring of Iran's ballistic activities that goes beyond 2025.