French journalist Julien Laurens: United did not play football against PSG

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They are, at this time, a far better possession-football team than us. All they had to do was keep the ball; I don't know whether bad management or players' self-indulgence is to blame for their defeat.

Aarron Swift

A journalist should probably be showing more professionalism but it’s an understandable emotional reaction

PSG just become the 1st Side to go out after winning 1st Leg Away 2-0 to a make-shift Man Utd Side with 10 players out.

PSG had 80% Possession, some great chances 1st 30mins from Utds right side & Utd didn’t manage a shot in second half until 90th Minute & then the winning goal was a debatable penalty decision

If United we’re to lose under those circumstances we’d be fuming & bitter, just ignore him because the end result is United went through & PSG remain possibly the most unprofessional & arrogant Top Side in the world, which is the reason they went out

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Laurens is usually very good and has stuck up for Pogba and Martial in the past. However, he’s a massive PSG fan :lol:
He sticks up for anything remotely French. It's quite funny because he backed Palace to go down and said they have no chance whatsoever this year of staying up.

I thought in my head he might still hold a grudge against Palace after Cantona :lol:

GloryHunter07

He's a huge PSG fan, so hadly surprising.

Anyway, I like Laurens a lot - and he's had something quite interesting things to say on the game/PSG away from whats simply in the OP.
I Agree.

Its worth noting that he said this right after the game so was a bit emotional, being a PSG fan and all.

PSG handed us two goals on a plate and the ref gave us a dodgy pen, thats football sometimes.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Thing is, we attack and dominate teams when it suits us....we sit back and counter when that suits us. That’s called, um, tactics mate?

Siorac

We know what he means by that though. We didn't turn up to "play football" against PSG in the aesthetic sense. Journalists and the media in general have a one dimensional view on the game so its unfair to single out Julien who himself would have a hard time seeing his own club throw away a lead like that so easily.
So let's call them out on it! I agree he's far from the only one who comes out with ridiculous hyperbole for one reason or another.

GloryHunter07

If United we’re to lose under those circumstances we’d be fuming & bitter, just ignore him because the end result is United went through & PSG remain possibly the most unprofessional & arrogant Top Side in the world, which is the reason they went out
Exactly!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Aargh the good old "elitist" football mentality again.

They didn't play football because low possession. Not much attacking etc. etc.

Guess football is all about shots at goal (we had the same amount of shots on target as PSG iirc, btw) and sideways passes. Defence is definitely not part of "football" etc. etc.

We'd have been praised and "respected" I guess, to the high heavens, if we simply opened up with our depleted squad and they stuffed us, like a Christmas turkey, 5-0. Feck off with your bitterness.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I listened to that podcast last night. He whinged throughout the entire thing. Football is about winning and we set out the correct gameplan to achieve it with a depleted squad. Jog on mr. butthurt.
Was it the Football Daily podcast? or the TFS? I thought he was quite good on both - they made it clear he's obviously talking from a PSG view with PSG bias, and he was still critical of PSG and outlined some things that are wrong with the club.

Water Melon

Good to see the bitterness from opposition. Those tasty salty tears of Klopp and this journalist, long it may continue. We actually did play football and tore them a new one both tactically and mentally. Football is a collective sport, and we squeezed much more out of our collective performance than they did from theirs. Simples.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's normally a very reasonable guy. He's a PSG fan though.

haram

Hope we have 1 shot every game and win the damn thing.

Denis79

He should take a hard long look at PSG for this failure. Not us for giving our all with a decimated team.

fergies coat

You could see what Ole planed. We soaked up the pressure in the second half, and planned to attack with ten minutes to go. It worked a treat. It was a fantastic performance.

Kostov

Feck off you bitter cnut. Write a story about the guys that are paying you to write nonsense like this, write how they bend rules and do shady staff in order to have players like Mbappe first, than come and spit nonsense about anything football related.

Devil may care

We didn't have any of our first choice midfield to control and create attacks, we started with 2 strikers up top and they weren't holding the ball up, we managed the game to try and get the goals we needed rather than go gung-ho and get killed on the counter, PSG had 70% possession and De Gea didn't have one big save to make, PSG's arrogance and then their lack of nerve cost them the match overall, but what Ole and the team did with such depleted resources deserves huge credit, this dude is usually ok when I see him but I guess PSG are his team and after they have bought their way into relevance he's gotten overexcited and can't handle the truth.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its always a mixture of both. Of course they fecking bottled it. We showed great resilience and character to show the fight, concentration and desire to stay in with a chance and then got the slice of luck with a penalty. People are hilariously bitter at saying shite like this when we had 10 first team injuries and were forced to play kids away to one of the favourites and having to overcome a 2 goal deficit.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Okay, We believe in you.
  • You support a team which consists of diving and volleyball athletes
  • You support a team that had 2 away goals but couldn't keep the ball at home to save it's arse
  • You support a team where the forwards had to fight each other to take a penalty
  • You support a team where Neymar is worshiped like a god and He conquers the team with the support of uncle cnut (even though They haven't done anything in your history book) who did a keepie uppie during the last 16 of CL
  • You support a team that signed a 41 y.o superstar GK for the sake of superstar and not one for the team
  • You support a team that threw away their identity for oil money
Of course We do. I'm enjoying all the tears, makes the victory even sweeter.

PSG has no identity. When They signed Ibra, their identity was Ibra. When They signed Neymar, their identity changed into Neymar. Joke of a club.

Last edited:

GBBQ

PSG never led in a match at home to a team that was missing so many players. You can make fair points about United's approach or referee calls but if they can't blitz past a United team so ravaged by injuries then the biggest issue is PSG themselves. Ligue 1 has made them soft, their lack of regular challenges has made them mentally unequipped for getting by a dogged defensive team who has a rub of the green on their side.

Even with missing Neymar and Cavani they have more than enough fire power in Draxler, Di maria and Mbappe that in theory should put most ties to bed quickly. But season after season they show they have this inability to progress in the most implosive manner. I really hope one of Neymar or Mbappe leave after this fiasco. Joke of a club.

shahzy

Juliens is a really good journo.....except when hes talking about PSG. Then he forgets that he is a jounralist and becomes a fan like the rest of us and is biassed and full of emotion.
I wouldn't hold it against him saying things like this for too long. Its only just the aftermath and he is still feeling emotional.

I mean he thinks we didn't really play, but then again what does that make PSG? they didn't create much either really apart from the Mbappe 1v1 against De Gea (And for how good Mbappe is, we have De Gea :devil:)

Juliens wears his heart on his sleeve so that's why i reckon we should give him a break. When he isn't emotional he is a great Journo and actually very level headed.

Tony247

Let me tell him the fact. And after a day long analysis of the game from minute one to final whistle, from players' graph to refree's decisions, I am going to keep aside emotions and talk about brutal facts and nothing else. The fact is:

we won, PSG lost. suck it.

Brightonian

Nonsense. Apart from the half hour when Young and Bailly didn't know where they were meant to be and Di Maria and Bernat were tearing them a new one, PSG never looked especially dangerous. Their possession was worse than our worst games under LVG, just slow passing in front of our defensive formation. And it should be noted that while they were tearing our RB side apart, we were absolutely destroying Kehrer on theirs.

Ultimately they managed the same number of shots on target as we did. With all that possession, that is simply embarrassing. The fact that from the same number of shots on target we scored three and they scored one is down to the fact that our strikers were better and our goalkeeper was better.

Possession is not football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So let's call them out on it! I agree he's far from the only one who comes out with ridiculous hyperbole for one reason or another.
Sure, let's. I just don't see why we start with him, because he shows an understanding to set up the way we did, rather than sticking his nose up as though we should have given an alternative game plan.

Maybe I like him because he's fun to hear on Totally Football Show. He's far more tolerable than Daniel Story and a couple other British pundits.

pacifictheme

Hes wrong about one thing, we were the better team against Liverpool and could have won. I don't think we were defensive, we had better chances to win that game.

crossy1686

career ending
Last line:
They won so they deserve some sort of credit I guess...
:lol::lol::lol: What a disgrace.

Spent all that money and they still can't beat a team with 10 first team players missing, made up largely from youth players and starting with a 2-0 lead, but yeah, no mention of playing in a non competitive league causing them to have no edge. Shitty little irrelevant team with no history and no heritage thinking they're better than they are.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nonsense. Apart from the half hour when Young and Bailly didn't know where they were meant to be and Di Maria and Bernat were tearing them a new one, PSG never looked especially dangerous. Their possession was worse than our worst games under LVG, just slow passing in front of our defensive formation. And it should be noted that while they were tearing our RB side apart, we were absolutely destroying Kehrer on theirs.

Ultimately they managed the same number of shots on target as we did. With all that possession, that is simply embarrassing. The fact that from the same number of shots on target we scored three and they scored one is down to the fact that our strikers were better and our goalkeeper was better.

Possession is not football.
Mbappe missed a one on one and Bernat hit the post before that.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
What's embarassing for them is that with the state of our team they should have slain us!

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
He's a self confessed PSG fan and was speaking in the 10 minutes after the final whistle. It's like expecting GlastonSpur to give a dispassionate view of a Spurs defeat.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Okay, We believe in you.
  • You support a team which consists of diving and volleyball athletes
  • You support a team that had 2 away goals but couldn't keep the ball at home to save it's arse
  • You support a team where the forwards had to fight each other to take a penalty
  • You support a team where Neymar is worshiped like a god and He conquers the team with the support of uncle cnut (even though They haven't done anything in your history book) who did a keepie uppie during the last 16 of CL
  • You support a team that signed a 41 y.o superstar GK for the sake of superstar and not one for the team
  • You support a team that threw away their identity for oil money
Of course We do. I'm enjoying all the tears, makes the victory even sweeter.

PSG has no identity. When They signed Ibra, their identity was Ibra. When They signed Neymar, their identity changed into Neymar. Joke of a club.
It couldn't be more true. They had an identity before the qataris but now ? You described it perfectly.

neilv93

I like Jules but his PSG-supporting bias has overtaken his level-headedness here. Shame, as typically one of the main parts of being a journalist in remaining subjective and unbiased but whatever.

AshRK

I have seen teams play better football than that against us. PSG's performance is being overyhped immensely. They themselves hardly created any chance. Only in the last 15 mins when we committed more bodies forward Mbappe had one on one chance. Also, the reference to the liverpool gane is funny, it was liverpool who were defensive not us.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
One of the best bits was seeing Neymar come down to the touchline for the final whistle to join in the celebrations and see him gutted when we won :D