French League - 'Ligue 1' 2016/17 | AS Monaco Champions!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Members for 2016–17

The following 20 clubs compete in the 2016–17 Ligue 1 season.

2015/16

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nasser Al Khelaifi: “It is time for change.”

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Le Parisien, PSG President Nasser Al Khelaifi has admitted that everyone’s future is on the line and that this summer is the time for change. Highlights.

On the 2015/16 campaign:

Honestly, I think that we have failed our season despite the new national trophies. We did not reach our European aims, so it was a bad season. I have been here for five years and this is the first time I feel that this was a failure.

It is not simply the fact that we lost in the Quarter Finals of the Champions League that makes me say this, it is the way in which it happened. I am very disappointed. We were not ready mentally and we are responsible, me first.

I did not feel that pressure before the matches against Manchester City. It was completely different for Chelsea: the players were nervous, hungry, ready. I did not see that against Manchester City.

This elimination is the worst moment since I have been at PSG. It is still very difficult to accept.

On Laurent Blanc:

I have supported him for three years. Now, we need to think about what we are going to do next season to build a stronger squad on a European level. I repeat it, it is the first time that we fail and I have to ask questions.

Do I have to change the way we manage? Do I have to change people? Do I have to change the players? I am thinking and big changes could come.

I will not speak today about individual cases. Big changes will happen, a new cycle will begin, you will see. In any case, if we continue like this on every level, we will not get to where we want to be.

On a possible return for Leonardo:

As you know, I have a very good relationship with him. We speak often, he is a man of great quality, an excellent Sporting Director who brought us a lot. Who knows? One day maybe but, for the moment, he is not part of the project.

I will think about how to organise the club. We will see. Olivier Létang is doing good work, he has built a network in recent years, he has gained experience and I have confidence in him.

You know, we can want to change, to evolve, but one thing will never change, the fact that I protect the people who work around me. The staff, the players, those on the payroll, we are a family.

On Serge Aurier:

He was placed in police custody, but we still don’t really know what happened… We will wait for the judgement on September 26th… If he had done nothing wrong and we sold him, I would feel guilty. He will not leave PSG this summer.

On Atletico Madrid:

I have great respect for Atletico, the club, the team, the fans. They all have a lot of motivation, they deserved to be in the final. It is the second time in three years and that is not by accident.

On who will replace Zlatan Ibrahimovic:

I sometimes think that the media does not see things clearly. We have a striker, an incredible striker. Cavani is one of the best in the world. Look at his goals throughout his career. Cavani up front is one of the best in his position. Why look elsewhere?

Is he a world star like Zlatan? That is one of the changes we are making to our project. We are going to sign players who bring more to the team. At the beginning, we needed players to develop our image. Today, thanks to them, PSG is known throughout the world.

Like each year, we are looking for players who will help the team and allow us to go to the next level on the pitch. We need players who are ready to die for the club and for this shirt.

On failing to sign a Neymar or a Ronaldo:

What you are saying is not true and, if one day, we win the Champions League, I will tell you a secret.

On Hatem Ben Arfa:

He is a great French football player. He has grown up a lot mentally, he has a lot of talent and lots of qualities. Some people can ask if he can play for a big club. For me, yes I can. You are going to ask me if we are going to sign him. I will not say yes, I will not say no. I will tell you simply that he is an option. There are others.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Manuel Pellegrini offered to PSG, failed attempt for Guardiola

According to our colleagues at RMC, PSG attempted to convince Pep Guardiola to join them before he decided to join Manchester City.

Guardiola responded by saying that he had no interest in managing in France.

As for more recent news, it appears that former Manchester City man Manuel Pellegrini has been offered by his agents to the capital club.

Pellegrini remains one of the most experienced managers in Europe, even if his final year at Manchester City was far from successful.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG due to meet with Diego Simeone

According to our colleagues at RMC, PSG are due to meet with Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone in the coming weeks.

This report comes on the day that PSG President Nasser Al Khelaifi refused to confirm that Laurent Blanc’s job was safe.

Last year, PSG sounded out Diego Simeone before he signed a contract extension with Atletico Madrid until 2020.

At the time, the Argentinian told PSG that he had no intention of leaving Spain.

However, this summer things are different. Simeone has told members of his entourage that he is thinking about leaving Atletico Madrid this summer. Advised mainly by his sister and Jorge Mendes, Simeone decided to go on holiday before coming back to Madrid to discuss his future.

Jorge Mendes, who has become close to Nasser Al Khelaifi over the last 18 months, is in the process of trying to bring the two parties together for discussions.

PSG expect to hold discussions with Diego Simeone in order to better understand his intentions. His image and influence on his players have convinced PSG to make him one of their highest priority targets.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Chinese investor on the verge of taking over OGC Nice?

According to L’Équipe, a Chinese investor is on the verge of acquiring 80% of OGC Nice.

The newspaper claims that the entourage of certain players have been informed that a deal is on the verge of being agreed, that would see OGC Nice President Jean Pierre Rivère remain in charge and with a 20% stake, conceding a 30% stake.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Franck Passi set to be confirmed as Marseille manager

According to our colleagues at RTL, Franck Passi will be confirmed by Marseille as their manager for the 2016/17 campaign.

Passi, who has held the position of interim manager twice over the course of the 2015/16 season, confirmed his desire to take the job on full time following OM’s Coupe de France final defeat.

In their current situation, Marseille have no capital to spend until a new owner comes in, which the current owner Margarita Louis Dreyfus is hoping will happen before the end of the month.

Therefore, the most logical move appears to be to confirm Passi for the forthcoming campaign so that the club can begin to prepare, with so much uncertainty in other sectors at the moment.

NoLogo

Even more boring than the Bundesliga. Any chance of this changing any time soon?

Given the amount of talent that is floating around in France these days we should certainly hire a few more scouts who know this league well.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What's Marseille's chances of finishing in the top 3? I want to see them back in the Champions League.
Very low. They look set to lose some more of their best players. The fans have deserted the stadium. The off the pitch scandals are the most interesting thing happening at the club ATM. All the hopes rest on a new owner investing massively but they're struggling to find a buyer. Relegation looks more likely than top 3 next year.
Even more boring than the Bundesliga. Any chance of this changing any time soon?
PSG should start a new cycle next year and may lose a bit of momentum. OL is on the rise and we shall see if they can improve further. Monaco will have to qualify to CL group stages to earn enough to compete.

Still I expect PSG to win by 10-15 points next season.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG in contact with Unai Emery

According to multiple sources, PSG are in contact with Sevilla boss Unai Emery about possibly taking over from Laurent Blanc this summer.

iTélé, L’Équipe du Soir and Culture PSG all claim that talks are underway between the relevant parties.

The first media outlet listed understands that Emery is the only individual to have entered into meaningful salary and contract negotiations with PSG.

The other two outlets say that talks have happened, but that Emery is not PSG’s priority.

Emery himself, despite being told that, is still very interested.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Napoli ready to make €16m offer for Corentin Tolisso

According to L’Équipe, Serie A side Napoli have informed OL that they are ready to make a €16m offer for Lyon midfielder Corentin Tolisso.

OL informed Napoli President De Laurentiis that the player was not for sale, but will this encourage the Italian outfit to make a formal offer?

Contacts between the player’s entourage and Napoli have also increased in recent days.

Arsenal’s Gilles Grimandi is a big fan of Tolisso and the player is a target for the North London club, just not a very pressing one, having already reinforced in midfield this summer through the signing of Xhaka.

Nasser Al Khelaifi: “It is time for change.”

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Le Parisien, PSG President Nasser Al Khelaifi has admitted that everyone’s future is on the line and that this summer is the time for change.
And there i was thinking he was about to acknowledge that his club have turned the league into a laughing stock.

Hard to see how it can be fixed.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@11101

If exotic investors acquire some French clubs, it would make the league more competitive.

parisite

And there i was thinking he was about to acknowledge that his club have turned the league into a laughing stock.

Hard to see how it can be fixed.
PSG play in the French league because it's obligatory, 4 domestic trophies don't mean a jot to them; They're all about the Champion's league. Why some here even say that Ibra was the real manager of the club and Blanc is just a puppet. Even Aurier said it.

parisite

Napoli ready to make €16m offer for Corentin Tolisso

According to L’Équipe, Serie A side Napoli have informed OL that they are ready to make a €16m offer for Lyon midfielder Corentin Tolisso.

OL informed Napoli President De Laurentiis that the player was not for sale, but will this encourage the Italian outfit to make a formal offer?

Contacts between the player’s entourage and Napoli have also increased in recent days.

Arsenal’s Gilles Grimandi is a big fan of Tolisso and the player is a target for the North London club, just not a very pressing one, having already reinforced in midfield this summer through the signing of Xhaka.
Same as the BHV, at the OL everybody is for sale. Aulas just makes the right noises at the right time.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Same as the BHV, at the OL everybody is for sale. Aulas just makes the right noises at the right time.
I understand Aulas is working on 2 scenarios:

- Scenario A: the coach absolutely wants to keep Lacazette and is ready to sell 2 or 3 secondary players
- Scenario B: the president (also shareholder) sells Lacazette at a high price and hopes Fékir will recover well next year.

With the exceptions of Monaco & Paris, all the clubs are ready to sell any player if they receive a good offer.

Ben Arfa as a free agent is the top priority of Lyon.

Jaybomb

He's a great player but is he a United player? That's the question.

It's alright being "world class" but if you don't have the passion and desire to play for Manchester United, then there's no point coming. I feel like someone like Mane would be a safer bet. A lot less cheaper and still has crazy potential. He'd honestly be my number 1 target for the right wing spot. If it's between Mane for 25m or Griezmann for 70m, I'd take Mane any day.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
ONLY 15 LIGUE 1 PLAYERS AT THE EURO AGAINST 103 EPL Players

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
West Ham set to offer €12.7m for Georges Kevin-Nkoudou

According to The Guardian, Premier League side West Ham United are set to make a €12.7m offer for Marseille winger Georges Kevin-Nkoudou.

Manchester United and Liverpool are also interested in the French youth international, with both of those sides having scouted the player multiple times already this season.

Marseille’s asking price is going to be between €20m and €25m, so should West Ham lodge that bid, then they are going to have to expect to be told to come back with something better.

Atletico Madrid offer €20m for Fabinho

According to Gianluca di Marzio, Spanish outfit Atletico Madrid have made a €20m offer for AS Monaco right-back Fabinho.

The other side to have lodged a bid, according to the Italian journalist, is Napoli, but they have only offered around €10m plus bonuses.

Di Marzio claims that AS Monaco are considering the proposal and that Fabinho is edging closer to Atleti.

Leonardo Jardim & Luis Campos to remain at Monaco

According to today’s edition of L’Équipe, both AS Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim and Special Advisor to the Vice President Luis Campos have been confirmed in their roles by Vadim Vasilyev for the 2016/17 campaign.

There had been speculation linking Campos to PSG in a Sporting Director role, with Jardim being linked to other jobs across Europe after rumours emerged that Claude Puel could be taking over at the Principality side, but this announcement surely brings an end to those rumours.

Tottenham pursuing Wilfried Kanga

According to France Football, Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur are pursuing 18 year old PSG attacker Wilfried Kanga.

Tottenham are also interested in Jonathan Ikone, who has yet to decide between signing a professional contract with PSG or accepting a three year deal with Juventus.

Wissam Ben Yedder to make decision on his future next week

According to The Guardian, Toulouse striker Wissam Ben Yedder will make a decision on his future next week.

The player has offers from Sevilla, Napoli, AS Roma and Leicester City.

According to sources contacted by GFFN, the player is currently leaning in the direction of Sevilla, but a definitive answer is expected next week.

PSG attempting to push ahead for Antoine Griezmann

According to L’Équipe, PSG are continuing to attempt to push ahead in an effort to sign Atletico Madrid attacker Antoine Griezmann.

He has also yet to extend his contract with Atleti, which has caused rumours to swirl about his future.

Chelsea, according to the French daily, are competing with PSG for the Frenchman’s signature.

Griezmann, as with Neymar possibly, will want to wait to see who PSG’s manager is next season.

If Les Parisiens can convince Diego Simeone to join them this summer, than that would be an enormous help for them in their attempt to lure Griezmann with them.

Leonardo Jardim & Luis Campos to remain at Monaco

According to today’s edition of L’Équipe, both AS Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim and Special Advisor to the Vice President Luis Campos have been confirmed in their roles by Vadim Vasilyev for the 2016/17 campaign.

There had been speculation linking Campos to PSG in a Sporting Director role, with Jardim being linked to other jobs across Europe after rumours emerged that Claude Puel could be taking over at the Principality side, but this announcement surely brings an end to those rumours.

Neymar to PSG, still possible

According to L’Équipe, Barcelona superstar Neymar could still join PSG this summer.

The Brazilian is apparently more and more seduced by the Les Parisiens project, despite the fact that Catalan newspapers and sources are insistent that he will sign a contract extension.

For the moment, nothing is signed, with Neymar’s current deal running out in 2018, PSG will believe that they still have an opportunity.

According to a source cited by the French daily close to the situation, anything is still possible.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
After reading the Zlatan thread, it seems to be such a shite league that I’d say it’s quite probable that there won’t be any goals scored next season.

Seriously though, thanks @Downcast - Would do the league worlds of good if someone was able to actually challenge PSG for the title. Can’t see it happening though :boring:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@top1whoisman Thanks.

Unfortunately, PSG won't be challenged next season. I just hope Lyon & Monaco will play well in the Champions League.

Marseille could be sold this summer and the new shareholder will be financially powerful.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sevilla to agree €10m Wissam Ben Yedder fee today

According to our colleagues at RMC, Toulouse and Sevilla are due to reach an agreement over the transfer for striker Wissam Ben Yedder worth €10m today.

The 25 year old has some details still to work out with the Europa League winners, even if they remain his preferred destination.

He has rejected offers from Leicester City, AS Roma and Napoli.

Sevilla interested in Lys Mousset

According to L’Équipe, Spanish outfit Sevilla are interested in Ligue 2 side Le Havre’s 20 year old striker Lys Mousset.

However, Le Havre president Vincent Volpe has no intention of letting the individual go this summer, despite interest from Turkish and English outfits.

Official | Nantes sign Diego Carlos from Estoril

Nantes have completed the signing of Diego Carlos from Portuguese club Estoril on a five-year-deal. The deal will officially be completed by Nantes on June 9th, when the French transfer window reopens.

The Brazilian central defender joins from the Portuguese club Estoril, after playing 31 games in Liga Nos this season, and scoring two goals in the process.

The official Nantes website said that Diego Carlos was “a great hope of Brazilian football”, as the defender will try and make a name for himself in Europe.

Carlos started in America SP in Brazil, where he then joined Desportivo Brasil, before joining Estoril in Portugal.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Unai Emery on the verge of taking over at PSG

According to multiple press reports, Sevilla manager Unai Emery is set to take over as manager of PSG.

Les Parisiens have spent the last 10 days attempting to convince Diego Simeone, and after a final attempt today with increased financial incentives which was turned down, Unai Emery is set to take over from Laurent Blanc, according to Marca, iTélé and Goal France.

PSG are hoping to complete the Emery deal before EURO 2016 begins on Friday and have agreed to pay €2m in order to release him from his current contract with Sevilla which runs until 2017.

Emery has rejected offers from AC Milan and Everton.

Laurent Blanc has been spending time in New York, but since President Nasser Al Khelaifi’s interview with Le Parisien, the former French national team boss has refused to make any public appearances, even turning down the chance to partake in a charity golf tournament this week.

Emery’s agent is Jorge Mendes, a big factor in this deal taking place, with the Portuguese man’s relationship with Al Khelaifi strengthening all the time since the Di Maria deal last summer.

PSG have chosen Unai Emery

According to Le Parisien, PSG have indeed chosen to appoint Unai Emery as their next manager.

Talks are at an advanced stage but nothing is yet signed. A deal could be official towards the end of the week.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Jonathan Ikoné set to sign PSG pro deal

According to Goal France, PSG’s highly-rated youngster Jonathan Ikoné will sign a three year professional deal with the capital club in the coming days.

Ikoné had been rumoured to be close to a move to Juventus, but it appears that he has decided to stay at the capital club in their newly moulded project.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Jérémy Pied has offers from West Ham & Sunderland

According to our colleagues at France Football, OGC Nice winger-come-full-back Jérémy Pied has received offers from Premier League sides West Ham United & Sunderland, with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

Pied, who has had discussions with current OGC Nice manager Lucien Favre about possibly signing a contract extension, has been pursued by St Étienne for a number of months now, who are willing to offer the player a handy signing-on fee.

Bordeaux and Jocelyn Gourvennec have also come to the player in a concrete fashion in recent days.

The player is expected to make his decision at the end of his self-scheduled holidays.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Lorient & Dortmund agree deal for Raphaël Guerreiro

Lorient’s Portuguese international left-sided player Raphaël Guerreiro is on the verge of joining German outfit Borussia Dortmund.

A fee agreement was reached between Lorient & Dortmund worth €12m, but talks are ongoing about certain specifics including the sell-on percentage.

Raphaël Guerreiro has already agreed to join Dortmund on a four year contract, according to RMC.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Leicester in advanced negotiations for Nampalys Mendy

Premier League side Leicester City are in advanced negotiations with OGC Nice for the transfer of their captain and defensive midfielder Nampalys Mendy.

Mendy, who is under contract until 2017 with Les Aiglons, have already agreed to personal terms with Leicester, who he appears to be convinced to join by his former boss Claudio Ranieri, one year on from rejecting the Foxes before the Italian manager signed N’Golo Kanté, who appears to be on his way out of LCFC.

The Premier League champions have made an offer of between €10m and €15m for the player. Fee negotiations are ongoing between Nice and Leicester.

West Ham, Wolfsburg and Sunderland are all also interested in the player, but Mendy is convinced by the Leicester project.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

PSG reach an agreement with Unai Emery

According to La Sexta and Cadena SER, PSG have reached an agreement with Unai Emery to prise the Europa League winning manager away from Sevilla.

The 44 year old has reached a total agreement with PSG, according to the first of the two Spanish media outlets cited above.

He will earn €6m a year with Les Parisiens & is set to sign a three year contract with the option to extend by one year to make it four tomorrow afternoon, according to these reports.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Mathieu Debuchy will quit Arsenal

According to L’Équipe, Arsenal right-back Mathieu Debuchy will leave the club this summer.

Debuchy has lost confidence in Arsène Wenger after the Arsenal manager promised the French international a chance in the 2015/16 campaign, only for him not to deliver, in Debuchy’s eyes.

Rudi Garcia to replace Unai Emery at Sevilla?

According to AS, former Lille and AS Roma boss Rudi Garcia is set to replace Unai Emery as manager at Sevilla.

The Spanish paper is suggesting that advanced talks have taken place and that the Frenchman could even sign a contract in the coming hours…

We shall see.

Premier League sides, AS Monaco considering Benjamin Mendy
According to RMC, a host of Premier League sides have made contact over the possible transfer of Marseille left-back Benjamin Mendy.

AS Monaco in Ligue 1 have also made contact.

The French youth international may be forced to leave the club this summer as they attempt to €40m to balance their books in order to avoid punishment from the French football financial watchdog the DNCG.

Jonathan Ikoné set to sign PSG pro deal

According to Goal France, PSG’s highly-rated youngster Jonathan Ikoné will sign a three year professional deal with the capital club in the coming days.

Ikoné had been rumoured to be close to a move to Juventus, but it appears that he has decided to stay at the capital club in their newly moulded project.

Official | Cafu joins Lorient

FC Lorient have announced the signing of former Vitoria Guimaraes central midfielder Cafu.

The 23 year old is a former Portuguese youth international, who was recommended by Raphaël Guerreiro to manager Sylvain Ripo

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
I have just moved closer to Toulouse and have decided to try and get to a few games next season. I mainly followed the english leagues and know next to nothing about Toulouse and only a little more about the French Ligue 1. If anyone could give me some information about them it would help, I had a quick glance at their squad and didn't recognise many names.

However it seems they were battling relegation last season so i will feel right at home

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I have just moved closer to Toulouse and have decided to try and get to a few games next season. I mainly followed the english leagues and know next to nothing about Toulouse and only a little more about the French Ligue 1. If anyone could give me some information about them it would help, I had a quick glance at their squad and didn't recognise many names.

However it seems they were battling relegation last season so i will feel right at home
Toulouse is better known for the rugby and the cassoulet. :D

Last year TéFéCé only escaped relegation thanks to a miracle starting with the appointment of Dupraz as head coach. The stand out player, Ben Yedder, will likely move on to a bigger club. They have quite a large roster full of decent for L1 but inconsistent players. they should stay up more safely next year but with the expected turnover the picture will be clearer after the transfer window.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@carvajal

@jojojo

What do you think of the new coach of PSG - Unai Emery?

An extreme football lover and a hard worker who knows success: fantastic choice imho

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal

@jojojo

What do you think of the new coach of PSG - Unai Emery?

An extreme football lover and a hard worker who knows success: fantastic choice imho
He's a good coach but I personally think that he miss something to be top. Perhaps that something is a good budget as he will have in Paris. Valencia used to sell the best players every summer and Sevilla something similar.
Anyway, after winning everything in France with such superiority , and reach quarters in Champions,do you think that was necessary to look for a new coach ?
According to that Emery will be sacked if he doesn´t reach the final of C.L

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He's a good coach but I personally think that he miss something to be top. Perhaps that something is a good budget as he will have in Paris. Valencia used to sell the best players every summer and Sevilla something similar.
Anyway, after winning everything in France with such superiority , and reach quarters in Champions,do you think that was necessary to look for a new coach ?
According to that Emery will be sacked if he doesn´t reach the final of C.L
It was necessary to change the coach because Laurent Blanc lacks the leadership skills, the courage (Cavani is ridiculous on the wing), the management skills related to our youth (case of Coman or other young players who don't want to sign a pro contract), the capacity for hard work and other things to make us stronger in the CL competition.

We were extremely ridiculous against City and we stagnate in this competition.

Laurent Blanc deserves to be sacked given the budget of PSG.

Emery will sacked only if PSG plays badly in this competition:

- QF 'wait and see'
- SF 'Excellent'

I have read some articles in French about Unay Emery: he is the man of the situation imho

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
thanks for all the info.

it is ok, i don't expect to be following any world class players! I am just looking forward to being able to watch live football again.