Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relfy

He'd be great for us if we can convince him to make the move this time. He'd be a calming presence in the middle of the park, similar to Carrick in some sense, by keeping the ball moving and feeding it into the players who can really do the damage. I was really impressed with his calmness on the ball even when being harassed by multiple players. You'd think now he can see we're a very attractive 'project' to join. If Barca really do need to reduce their wage bill by EUR 200m this summer, then he must be on the market (again).

Zen86

Anonymous in the first game, decent for 45mins in the second. Not exactly a compelling case for his likely fee and wages.

dumilor

Exactly. If Fred and FDJ swapped teams for this tie we would be out and Barca would be though.
At most this man had a decent twenty minutes over 180
Exactly. If Fred and FDJ swapped teams for this tie we would be out and Barca would be though.
At most this man had a decent twenty minutes over 180
United should consider herself very lucky if FDJ signs for us. There isn't a player currently in the squad that matches his skillset. His composure, ball carrying ability, calmness: it's something we are currently missing. Seems like all arrows are targeted at FDJ, but tell me who stood out over those 2 legs on Barcelona's side? Who better than ETH to know how to play Frenkie. That's why he put Fred on him. Frenkie is still Barcelona's best midfielder, and one of the best midfielders in the world on that position. If there's any chance to get that man on the squad, we have to go for it. Casemiro-Frenkie-Bruno would be a scary midfield.

eire-red

Can see why EtH wants him, but hard to think we couldn't find someone similar for less of a cost.

He's good, but I didn't think he was THAT good.

dumilor

Anonymous in the first game, decent for 45mins in the second. Not exactly a compelling case for his likely fee and wages.
Ridiculous of course to only look at last 2 games agains us to make a judgment. This guy has been brilliant for years. It's no coincidence he wasn't as present as he normally is, since ETH knows exactly how to play him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Can see why EtH wants him, but hard to think we couldn't find someone similar for less of a cost.

He's good, but I didn't think he was THAT good.
He would be under ETH that's the point

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He was their best player, I like how he drives upfield with the ball. Would be an excellent addition to our team.

prateik

FDJ is old news.. We are much better now than we were last summer.. we should be looking at better players.
and no, he isn't the best in the world.. If that is the best there is, world football is not doing too well..

Drainy

There’s a video of him admiring the stadium. Hope we can convince him to come.
I get the feeling he wasn't the problem. It's convincing his fiancée to give up the dream house in Barcelona where they probably want to enjoy their youth together in the sun

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lots of players would because he’s one of the best managers in the world?
Ha no I meant more we have already seen some of the level he can achieve at Ajax, he's not really given the same freedom with Barca, and actually I thought he played well yesterday anyway. What is interesting is that his defensive contributions are a lot better than I thought
We can of course get another midfielder with similar attributes, but if he's available then go for him

eire-red

He would be under ETH that's the point
He was much better yesterday because Busquets was playing the holding role and FDJ was given more freedom, which is the same licence he would be given here beside Casemiro.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be delighted if we signed him in the summer, but we shouldn't chase him again all summer because it's seems he has no interest in being here. I struggle to believe there's nobody out there that can bring a similar level of performance and qualities to the table.

Watching Martinez quietly become the heartbeat of our team after being a relatively low-key signing in the summer is a throwback to the days under SAF where we signed guys just on the edge of taking the next step up. Maybe we can find the same in midfield?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Hannibal hasn't impressed much on loan so he still has some way to go and while Mainoo is very promising he's still just 17. We need someone to make us challenge NOW like De Jong not in 2/3yrs
Plus Frenkie is the perfect player Mainoo can learn from and be a long term successor
Don't you think we are challenging now?
I think Hannibal has done ok playing in a team that doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength as him, but I believe, with better players around him, he will blossom into an excellent midfield player.
Mainoo is young, and may get a loan, but he looks so at home in our midfield that I think if he stays at OT he will get plenty of minutes next season.
Don't get me wrong, I think De Jong is a very good footballer, but buying him for around £80 million or so is far to much in my opinion, I would much rather spend money on a top striker and an up and coming CB.
By the way, if Gavi and Pedri were available yesterday, do you think De Jong would have still been in the starting 11?

cyberman

United should consider herself very lucky if FDJ signs for us. There isn't a player currently in the squad that matches his skillset. His composure, ball carrying ability, calmness: it's something we are currently missing. Seems like all arrows are targeted at FDJ, but tell me who stood out over those 2 legs on Barcelona's side? Who better than ETH to know how to play Frenkie. That's why he put Fred on him. Frenkie is still Barcelona's best midfielder, and one of the best midfielders in the world on that position. If there's any chance to get that man on the squad, we have to go for it. Casemiro-Frenkie-Bruno would be a scary midfield.
People talk about FDJ having all the qualities a lot more than FDJ showing he had all these qualities.
Let’s not forget he has been a disappointment for Barca since moving there, I have no idea where fans are getting all these tributes for him from.
I’ll bet any money we aren’t in for him this summer. Not because he doesn’t want to come here but this is a different side now, this team has different characteristics and dynamism than the squad Ten Hag was looking at in the summer.
The man has especially been really poor in Europe for a long time now and they raised so many red flags for me

NZT-One

I thought he was good yesterday and he would definitely do well in our team. But as others have pointed out - he plays the best, when Busquets is around and the defensive burden isn't on him completely. While we could provide him with that in Casemiro today and most likely next year, we don't know how things work out after it. FDJ would help us for sure but in those two games I haven't seen a player that extraordinarily to rectify the huge outlay in BOTH transfer fee and salaries. Right now it seems we are getting the wage structure more under control, we shouldn't feck it up at the first chance for a player that seem to have the same issue as Pogba - someone who doesn't flourish when too much responsibility is put on him.

His ball carrying ability would certainly be helpful, but we might get that from Hannibal for free. We have more than one issue in the squad these days - we shouldn't shop around as if only one piece of the puzzle is needed.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I understand why folk are apprehensive on the thought of pursuing him all over again this summer but simply put there are no other alternatives on the same level that he operates and his very unique skillset is clearly something that ten hag values and rightly so, just look at the calmness and control that he brought to them in the first half and at times in the second, his presence will prove to be an anchoring point to filter our game through.

Also just imagine how good he could be under ten hag, in fact you don't have to just watch some 2019 ajax games instead.

Big Ray

If ten hag wants him, then we should trust him 100% to know how to get the best from him. I guarantee there’s more in him that we’re maybe not seeing but that ten hag could get out of him. If we don’t get him, then ten hag will find someone fitting the system. I’m relaxed with everything with this man in charge. He’s a genius.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we'd signed him we wouldn't have signed Casemiro.
It's impossible to believe he'd have made a more significant difference than Casemiro is making.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Just tell me you don't understand football instead
I've seen loads of players like him who are nothing players. As soon as the game gets feisty or the opposition builds a head of steam, he's easily overcome and is a shrinking violet. There's a reason people are favourably comparing Fred, because he's a technically inferior player but he is effective in these moments. FdJ couldn't get a grip of midfield next to 3 other midfielders.

Don't talk to me about knowing football, I know what a top CM looks like. They have to stand up and be counted in big games. This guy wouldn't even be at Barca anymore if they had their way. His stock never reached the heights it did in Eredivisie as a kid. I've seen it so many times before.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There’s a video of him admiring the stadium. Hope we can convince him to come.

That's it, Frenkie. Think about what you're missing out on you little shit. Join us in the summer please you fecking cnut.

romufc

If we'd signed him we wouldn't have signed Casemiro.
It's impossible to believe he'd have made a more significant difference than Casemiro is making.
Correct, Frenkie is a terrific player but we needed Casemiro before getting a player like Frenkie.

This summer Frenkie makes more sense, hopefully he felt the atmosphere yesterday.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Fantastic player who'd be even more fantastic here, with Casemiro and EtH. Prizes bandied around here is probably too high, he's not going for £80-100m. We struck a deal with Barca last summer for £63m.

Moot point though, he's not coming. He didn't even come when they were trying to force him out and now he's playing every game. Final nail in the coffin was Antony being given the #21 shirt here.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Hannibal hasn't impressed much on loan so he still has some way to go and while Mainoo is very promising he's still just 17. We need someone to make us challenge NOW like De Jong not in 2/3yrs
Plus Frenkie is the perfect player Mainoo can learn from and be a long term successor
Oh? Is that why his manager loves him and he starts every match?

Xaviboy

Casemiro
Eriksen
Fred
Sabitzer
De Jong
Bruno

Not bad midfield options for next season.

scottser

Fantastic player who'd be even more fantastic here, with Casemiro and EtH. Prizes bandied around here is probably too high, he's not going for £80-100m. We struck a deal with Barca last summer for £63m.

Moot point though, he's not coming. He didn't even come when they were trying to force him out and now he's playing every game. Final nail in the coffin was Antony being given the #21 shirt here.
final nail was probably bruno leathering the ball into him at close range, in fairness.

MadMike

Casemiro
Eriksen
Fred
Sabitzer
De Jong
Bruno

Not bad midfield options for next season.
Lacking a DM option other than Casemiro. Sabitzer is industrious but he ain't a #6, he's another box-to-box. I reckon there's no chance we sign both him and Frenkie.

Erik the Red

Which players would you compare Hannibal and Mainoo with? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Where could they slot into the first team eventually?

At the moment, we need someone like FDJ in the first XI, backed up by Eriksen and Fred, depending on the opponent, and we also don't really have great cover for Casemiro in the CDM role.

Brightonian

Of course we should still try to get him. It's not about him vs Fred or him in these two games. It's about him being a perfect replacement for Eriksen, who has proven he is exactly the kind of player we needed, but who is 31 and whose heart trouble has realistically added two or three years to his physical 'age' from a football perspective.

And in a sane club you start to replace someone before they are not good enough any more. Rather than using necromancy to reanimate Nemanja Matic for two seasons to avoid having to buy a new DM.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People talk about FDJ having all the qualities a lot more than FDJ showing he had all these qualities.
Let’s not forget he has been a disappointment for Barca since moving there, I have no idea where fans are getting all these tributes for him from.
I’ll bet any money we aren’t in for him this summer. Not because he doesn’t want to come here but this is a different side now, this team has different characteristics and dynamism than the squad Ten Hag was looking at in the summer.
The man has especially been really poor in Europe for a long time now and they raised so many red flags for me
The side as it stands now is screaming out for someone with the exact qualities FDJ would bring. If anything that's only become clearer since the summer as we've solved other issues.

But I doubt he will be an option this summer, so we'll have to try and find another solution.

NLunited

He can pass very well. He created one of Barcelona best chance all game with his cross for Kounde. This is similar to the assist he got for Gakpo first goal in the World Cup.

He was also involved in Barcelona last big chance where Varane ended up clearing Lewandowski shot off the line. After the throw in/freekick Bruno earned by forcing Alonso handball the ball out of play; Barcelona regained possession, and FdJ carried the ball past McTominay. He lobbed it effortless past our blockers to Lewandowski who laid off the ball and running toward our goal. May not look Hollywood, but efficient enough to get the ball out of crowded area.

He has it in him, but feels like the way Barcelona plays doesn't let him express himself.
Yeah Xavi wants Barça to pass and control rather than attack with speed. Frenkie would fit better here and Ten Hag would light a fire under his butt.

NLunited

He'd be great for us if we can convince him to make the move this time. He'd be a calming presence in the middle of the park, similar to Carrick in some sense, by keeping the ball moving and feeding it into the players who can really do the damage. I was really impressed with his calmness on the ball even when being harassed by multiple players. You'd think now he can see we're a very attractive 'project' to join. If Barca really do need to reduce their wage bill by EUR 200m this summer, then he must be on the market (again).
If that happens, give him one chance to sign, if he refuses move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.