Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

Adamsk7

Think we need to take a huge step down from the mainoo hype train. Kid is 18 and yes he’s shown a lot of promise but currently he probably shouldn’t be a starting midfielder for the Manchester United we want to get back to. He’s been thrown in because everyone else is tripe and he’s doing brilliantly but he needs time to develop.

Currently De Jong is a significant upgrade on anyone in our midfield. He’s truly world class. So let’s get burned again!!!

Onerealunited

Would love a midfield of De Jong, Casemiro, Mainoo and another technical ball playing CM.....

cyberman

Think we need to take a huge step down from the mainoo hype train. Kid is 18 and yes he’s shown a lot of promise but currently he probably shouldn’t be a starting midfielder for the Manchester United we want to get back to. He’s been thrown in because everyone else is tripe and he’s doing brilliantly but he needs time to develop.

Currently De Jong is a significant upgrade on anyone in our midfield. He’s truly world class. So let’s get burned again!!!
We aren’t going to Spend 80 odd million and sky high wages without sale value on a player that player in a position that not only Mainoo plays but our other 60m signing if he ever gets fit and a pipeline of 2/3 other top class youth midfielders we have coming though.
if we buy a number 8 when we need players I almost every other post in then we might as well have Glazers still in charge of our football operations

mu4c_20le

Would love it if Ten Hag gave the board an ultimatum.

"Get me frenkie, or I walk"

Partridge

Bollocks to Dejong..yes, he would improve us, but we shouldn't go back in for him, unless we can take this piss out of them, price wise.

poleglass red

Next season he's 20. I think he should be a starting midfielder for the Utd we want to get back to. He keeps possession, doesn't panic, looks like he has the ability to add goals to his game. You're right, he has been thrown in, and he probably still is, as Casemiro isn't match fit yet. I think what we should be looking at, in regards to transfers is, who is best to compliment him moving forward.

strandty

Ship has sailed with that I think. They’re desperate to get that €475k a week off the books.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I don't see why he'd join us now if he didn't want to last time. I reckon a club in Champs League will snap him up ahead of us too. Someone like Bayern.

Shinjch

Don't think he will be that interested in moving until his wage issue has been resolved to his liking. Still, good player.

InfiniteBoredom

Frenkie isn't a 6
He is, just not the destroyer type. He’s a deep lying playmaker that excelled both in controlling play with voluminous passes, or breaking through the midfield with his ball carrying ability. 99th percentile in both passes attempted and progressive passes, 97th and 96th percentile respectively in pass completion and progressive carries, 77th percentile in take ons. He’s a unicorn, that profile is pretty much unique in football.

Mainoo has played further forward in the youth set up, so a De Jong - Mainoo pairing can work perfectly well. We can pair them with a physical ball winner like Amadou Onana behind them, or a more industrious/press resistant 10 than Bruno in front (Mount?), that’s a pretty good base to build from imo. If Licha can get pass his injury issue, I’d say there’s not a better trio at building play from deep if we can get that going.

Withnail

The only reason I’d take him was if we were letting Casemiro and Eriksen leave and signing some more young players who will need leadership over the next few years
We may well be doing that. Eriksen especially, he's not contributed a huge amount this season and seems well off the pace of the PL.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He is, just not the destroyer type. He’s a deep lying playmaker that excelled both in controlling play with voluminous passes, or breaking through the midfield with his ball carrying ability. 99th percentile in both passes attempted and progressive passes, 97th and 96th percentile respectively in pass completion and progressive carries, 77th percentile in take ons. He’s a unicorn, that profile is pretty much unique in football.

Mainoo has played further forward in the youth set up, so a De Jong - Mainoo pairing can work perfectly well. We can pair them with a physical ball winner like Amadou Onana behind them, or a more industrious/press resistant 10 than Bruno in front (Mount?), that’s a pretty good base to build from imo. If Licha can get pass his injury issue, I’d say there’s not a better trio at building play from deep if we can get that going.
He isn't a 6 he's a hybrid. Someone who operates deeper but excels in his ability to carry the ball and take the ball on the turn.

His defensive awareness isn't brilliant because he's just not that type of player. I see him almost like Fred but with superb technical ability and a bit more physicality.

binary bot
The club needs to get some pride back and not chase players like this

Our transfer business will greatly improve when we realise that there are about 3 irreplaceable players in world football. For every other players there are multiple alternatives.

Di Maria, Pogba, Ronaldo, Sancho, Antony, Mount, Maguire - all similar behaviour in our approach

Rojofiam

First of all, before you make a decision whether to believe this news, please consider that Frenkie de Jong is being paid 1.1 million euros per week by Barcelona, which is the 2nd highest salary on the continent after Mbappé, if I'm not mistaken. He's also at his dream club and seems to be loving life in Catalonia.

Secondly, yes, Mainoo is inferior to de Jong and might never become as good as him, but the need for FDJ is still way less than it was before Kobbie broke through into the first team.

InfiniteBoredom

He isn't a 6 he's a hybrid. Someone who operates deeper but excels in his ability to carry the ball and take the ball on the turn.

His defensive awareness isn't brilliant because he's just not that type of player. I see him almost like Fred but with superb technical ability and a bit more physicality.
The 6 doesn’t have to be a water carrier type of midfielder, it’s whoever positionally deepest in a midfield set up. I’d even argue that the ability to distribute calmly and accurately, as well as being press resistant, is more important defensively than being able to tackle well, think Scholes. Sure, occasionally you will get bypassed by a more physical type of player and concede, but the trade off is worth it when you can play on the front foot much more.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This would be the only way I see Barca buying Greenwood off us if the rumours are true. Would happily want him in the squad, but I just don't see it based on previous sagas and the new football execs.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Came here to see if his apparent openness to leave was noticed. Caf never disappoints.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The 6 doesn’t have to be a water carrier type of midfielder, it’s whoever positionally deepest in a midfield set up. I’d even argue that the ability to distribute calmly and accurately, as well as being press resistant, is more important defensively than being able to tackle well, think Scholes. Sure, occasionally you will get bypassed by a more physical type of player and concede, but the trade off is worth it when you can play on the front foot much more.
Can you play Frenkie de Jong as a lone #6? Erik Ten Hag in 2019: "He leaves the middle of the pitch too often for that. And if you don’t give him the freedom to go forward, you won’t get the best out of his game."

mu4c_20le

I don't see why he'd join us now if he didn't want to last time. I reckon a club in Champs League will snap him up ahead of us too. Someone like Bayern.
Easy, they're shite now and about to get worse