Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I doubt it. It’s more about Barcelona wants him gone because his salary is too high and has clause that keep increasing every year. All of these news were probably orchestrated by Barcelona so by any luck there are clubs to put a bid and hoping the player can be convinced to leave.
I had to double check your join date because we had the exact same stuff said last summer and the summer before it.

daba

Anyone follow Barca?

They’ve obviously not been great this year but they’ve had a good few injuries (including De Jong) that can’t have helped.

How has he performed?

Sofascore gives him a 7.30 (but Antony also has a 6.98 or something somehow so I have trust issues with that site).

Redivy

I don’t really see where he fits into this team?
Mainoo is clearly not a 6 yet, De Jong would be better suited playing the 8 in the premier league.

I think it’s just baseless rumours and there’s abso

Grande

Anyone follow Barca?

They’ve obviously not been great this year but they’ve had a good few injuries (including De Jong) that can’t have helped.

How has he performed?

Sofascore gives him a 7.30 (but Antony also has a 6.98 or something somehow so I have trust issues with that site).
Nobody follows Barca. That’s another trust issue.

caid

So are his wages back to normal next season or is there more backdated wages to come?

The Urban Goose

Mainoo and De Jong sounds very interesting.

Mainoo could play as the 6 just as well as he can play as an 8.

I don't think De Jong plays the 6 as well as he does the 8 but it could be a real double pivot.

If 4231/433 with two CMs is the way forward for Ten Hag then I'm intrigued and would take it.

Ultimately De Jong is better than Mount, McTominay and Eriksen as a CM and therefore he is an upgrade.
Mainoo would be wasted as a 6. I'd play him as the progressive 8 Bellingham type, a 6 behind and FDJ connecting those two.

Martial

We have learned absolutely nothing if we go for him again.

He is not going to leave his deferred owed wages aside to join us.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Too much focus on physicality in this thread. Football has moved on. We need intelligent, technical, press resistant players, not destroyers. If we shift on Amrabat, Eriksen and VdB in the summer, to clear up the wage bill and add De Jong, our six midfielders, competing for 3 spots would be Casemiro, Mainoo, De Jong, Fernandes, Mount, and McTominay. Given the choice, I would also move on McTominay and bring in a DM of the profile of Onana. That would give us perfect balance. Casemiro/Onana, Mainoo/De Jong, Bruno/Mount. Great age profiles too.

I would most likely play Mainoo and De Jong plus one. The plus one being dependant on who we were playing. Tough away game against a top six? Casemiro or Onana plus Kobbie and Frankie. Most other teams? Mainoo and De Jong plus Bruno or Mount. We need versatile options, more than one way to play, and for the love of god we need a good, deep squad. It’s why I was so against selling Fred. Who I considered to be one of the best back up midfielders in the league. Not quite starting quality, but fecking brilliant as a rotation option or sub.

Lightweight isn’t an issue that plagues me. We just need a reference point in front of the defence, who knows how to read the game defensively and is tactically disciplined. Anyone who’s watched Mainoo this season, knows he is more than capable of being that player. Personally I would prefer to have someone like Casemiro or Onana behind Mainoo and De Jong, Bruno odd man out. But I’d have no concerns about a Mainoo, De Jong, Bruno/Mount midfield. Mainoo and De Jong are both such intelligent players, who keep the ball brilliantly and occupy the passing lanes in such a way that they are defensively effective without having to be brutish.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Our biggest issue that needs to be fixed is scoring goals.

Who knows if Frankie will be the next 'transformative'' player but I don't think he will contribute tremendously to our biggest issue. Not the highest priority.
This is where I’m at. Given the history with this guy it’s hard to be excited by it now. I’d rather see us linked to/chasing a proper proven striker.

croadyman

Sorry De Jong you might have been able to give Murtough & Arnold the runaround,however the new guys are not going to fall for your games

Mylock

De Jong is exactly the type of player we should be avoiding. Very talented but has no real interest in joining us and turned us down before. We need hungry players on the way up in their careers who buy into the club like Hojlund. There are plenty of players out there who would improve us.

Heardy

If we want him, give a take it or leave it offer to the club and his agent. I cannot be fecked with another 3 month saga where he gives us the runaround.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Forget logic. I’m on that train! Ticket please!

• Barca manager leaving, new manager might not play his style
  • His wages are a lever possibility for Barca
  • They like greenwood, possible swap

Irrational.

Why?

I never understand why fans act like as soon as we want to sign a player who is recognised as a very good footballer, we have somehow betrayed our values. Would it help if De Jong was a bit more shit or something to make it feel a bit more ‘us’?

Ultimately, we shouldn’t be signing him if he doesn’t want to come (which is kind of impossible anyway), nor should we pay him more than we can afford to (almost similarly impossible), but provided he is happy to make the move and we are happy to have him and the numbers work, why is signing top players seen as so terrible? Or is the working theory here that we’ve been pursuing De Jong for ‘marketing reasons’ due to his good looks or something, and not because of his footballing capabilities?
No one is doubting his quality as a player.

We have been stung in this exact scenario before where the player was perfectly happy to stay where he was and didn’t push for a move. We didn’t take the hint and suddenly we ended up with Di Maria and Sancho. Entire summers were wasted over Thiago, Fabregas and Sneijder. I hope we’ve learnt our lesson.

It’s clear he’s not arsed and has no real passion to play for us - he should stay where he is and continue to pick up his over inflated paycheck whilst Barca scrabble around with levers to make ends meet.

Counterfactual

I don’t really see where he fits into this team?
Mainoo is clearly not a 6 yet, De Jong would be better suited playing the 8 in the premier league.

I think it’s just baseless rumours and there’s abso
Do newbies have a character limit now as well as a post limit? :D

Anyways, on-topic... Choo! Choo!

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
If we are really going to do this again, can we ban the words ‘****’ and ‘****’ etc or at least auto correct them to something insulting about the poster using them? That shite did my head in last summer. :houllier:

Edit- way ahead of me I see. good work! :lol:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Mainoo is just 18 fellas. Too much of an expectation here. Case, Mainoo , FDJ and a DM isn't bad for 2 positions

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If Greenwood+the difference in wages for 1 year (£15m?) would get him I'd be in as long as he wants the move. Don't see why him and Mainoo couldn't work together, at least in some games, and Casemiro/A.N.Other DM rotate in for one of them as needed.

The-Mezzala

What is it with us always being linked to talanted Dutch footballers. The de Jong rumours is Wesley Sneijder all over again.

Lyng

Kobbie - De Jong would be the most press resistant midfield in Europe :drool:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No one is doubting his quality as a player.

We have been stung in this exact scenario before where the player was perfectly happy to stay where he was and didn’t push for a move. We didn’t take the hint and suddenly we ended up with Di Maria and Sancho. Entire summers were wasted over Thiago, Fabregas and Sneijder. I hope we’ve learnt our lesson.

It’s clear he’s not arsed and has no real passion to play for us - he should stay where he is and continue to pick up his over inflated paycheck whilst Barca scrabble around with levers to make ends meet.
But he very easily could do that. And if he does, then it would confirm what you are saying. The scenario in which he plays for us is a scenario where he has obviously decided that he is NOT going to simply stick around and collect his wages, but instead play for Manchester United. That’s literally the only way he can play for us, given he has a contract at Barcelona.

Also, I wouldn’t try to speculate too much on a footballer’s motivations bu cobbling together a few tweets. Nobody knows the details behind our last pursuit, or why he would choose to come here if he did. The only thing you should be concerned with are that the people actually involved in any deal are satisfied of his motivation. Despite the ‘Woodward is a stupid man’ rhetoric fans love to trot out about an extremely well educated and financially knowledgeable man, there’s every chance we were not simply in Spain trying to sign a player who got on the phone and told him he had no interest in joining the club. It’s also more likely than not that IF we attempt to sign him again, it’s not in spite of him getting on the phone and reiterating the same thing to us. I appreciate that makes a better tweet for journalists, but it’s quite far-fetched. Obviously our manager also knows the player personally, so if he’s satisfied then so am I. If he isn’t, and De Jong isn’t - then there will almost certainly be no deal anyway.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I doubt it. It’s more about Barcelona wants him gone because his salary is too high and has clause that keep increasing every year. All of these news were probably orchestrated by Barcelona so by any luck there are clubs to put a bid and hoping the player can be convinced to leave.
Cool. Still though, unless he made it clear it was us he only wanted to move to. We must stay clear

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s no longer needed now we have Mainoo, it’s a Casemiro upgrade/replacement that’s needed to partner Mainoo long term.
I’d like to see us sign a long term 6 to play next to Mainoo. I think making Mainoo sit would be a waste.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He would be a great signing but we won’t pay his wages.

Redfrog

Overpaid mercenary, no thanks.

We need good hungry players who want to prove themselves. Hope this is the new mantra.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Some people are reacting way too emotional to this. If we had a player that has swatted away interest from other big clubs and say he was committed to us we d praise him. However, situations and people change. I know I was a massive flake in my 20s - and I didn't have an agent and massive clubs filling my head with conflicting thoughts.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Overpaid mercenary, no thanks.

We need good hungry players who want to prove themselves. Hope this is the new mantra.
This is just emotional rhetoric. How exactly is he a ‘mercenary’, more than any other footballer anyway?

People are spinning some sort of narrative that he now apparently has an attitude issue, ‘the sort of player we should stay away from’. All without basis.

This is a player who turned down PSG to sign for his dream club, and didn’t walk the first moment things got difficult there. Instead, he fought his way back into the team and earned unanimous plaudits for his performances there. He was determined to make it there and did. Does Harry Maguire have problems, is he also a mercenary for not easily giving up on his United career and fighting back to form? Would he be the sort of player teams now need to stay away from?

There is nothing, literally nothing (in fact, only the opposite) that suggests that De Jong is not a ‘hungry player who wants to prove himself’. He’s playing for Barcelona, not Al-Ittihad for heaven’s sake!

Tony247

Move on

Wait..may be....no...move on

Hmmm...what if...no... definitely definitely move on

wait...

Redfrog

This is just emotional rhetoric. How exactly is he a ‘mercenary’, more than any other footballer anyway?

People are spinning some sort of narrative that he now apparently has an attitude issue, ‘the sort of player we should stay away from’. All without basis.

This is a player who turned down PSG to sign for his dream club, and didn’t walk the first moment things got difficult there. Instead, he fought his way back into the team and earned unanimous plaudits for his performances there. He was determined to make it there and did. Does Harry Maguire have problems, is he also a mercenary for not easily giving up on his United career and fighting back to form? Would he be the sort of player teams now need to stay away from?

There is nothing, literally nothing (in fact, only the opposite) that suggests that De Jong is not a ‘hungry player who wants to prove himself’. He’s playing for Barcelona, not Al-Ittihad for heaven’s sake!
No it’s not. If he comes here, he will be one of the biggest earner of the club while he hasn’t proved nothing here.

We did that the last 10 years. Haven’t you learn nothing ? It’s like the Woody’s strategy all over again.

We have to go back at the basics.

So don’t try to make a fool of me with your « emotional rhetoric » while you are creaming yourself about a new shiny overpaid footballer who rejected us already.

I just hope the Disneyland era is done for good.