Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
They can damage him as a footballer of course but that just reduces the sale value of the asset. Presumably there is an accountant somewhere who gives no feks about the muppetry, who is just saying path x is cheaper than path y and once the facing off and being nasty has been done we, Barca, still have to take path x. Path x is most likely paying FdJ amount z, which is the smallest amount he is owed that he is willing to accept, in order to leave.

The only real question is getting agreement on amount z. Anyone can see that the cards are with FdJ as failure to agree amount z causes more harm to Barca than it does to him. That's where we still are and where we will likely stay till the end of the transfer window. Everything else appears to be noise.
The transfer value only matters it you're ever going to be able to sell the player, that becomes pretty tough when the player won't move regardless of how badly you treat him. It would be kind of fun to see how how much Barca can embarrass him before he finally agreed to move.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Maybe he didn’t have all that power under woody? Woody seems to have been a let’s try and recreate SAF whereas Arnold seems to be more modern in his thinking. I think it’s pointless judging him from woodys time. The job starts now. Anyway let’s not derail this thread it’s nothing to do with frenkie, that’s all on Barca
I just find the idea that Murtough got hired by Woodward but wasn’t actually doing the job until Woodward left as worrying and problematic as he’s been in the role for over a year and yet is 100% reliant on the manager to name targets.

I mean After all the awful decisions Woodward made the idea that we should trust his opinion when it comes to Murtough is worrying enough, but add to that the idea Woodward hired him to basically be nothing but a puppet or a DOF with no real power even more troublesome, it sort of just implies he got the job because he would course the least trouble to Woodward. I just don’t think there is a particularly positive way of looking at the Murtough situation at the mo. Maybe he will come good, buts everything about the way we have got to this point is troublesome.

Yeah, fair point about getting off track.

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The transfer value only matters it you're ever going to be able to sell the player, that becomes pretty tough when the player won't move regardless of how badly you treat him. It would be kind of fun to see how how much Barca can embarrass him before he finally agreed to move.
They can only embarrass him till transfer deadline day unfortunately for them. Or rather they can only do it till then in the hope he will leave. After that they are stuck with an expensive toxic mess till January at least. Still wouldn't be the first time that happened to a club either.

romufc

I dont get why Fabrizio's quotes keep getting posted when he has not given any update.

He is literally saying the same thing he did 2/3 weeks ago. There is no change.

De Jong wants to stay at Barca and will fight for it.

redshaw

This is the business end of the saga. Only for the hardcore.

Barca will eventually pay him his dues as it's the cheaper option and he'll be off to his factory job up north with flat cap in hand.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This saga has been reduced to the usual click merchants rehashing nothing stories. No reliable journalist has had an update in weeks.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
So there are 2 options:
1) he doesn’t take a pay cut and stays (effectively doing a Bale)
2) he doesn’t take a pay cut, but rather moves to United
It seems to me that moving to United would involve a pay cut, unless you're willing to pay him 500k per week.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I dont get why Fabrizio's quotes keep getting posted when he has not given any update.

He is literally saying the same thing he did 2/3 weeks ago. There is no change.

De Jong wants to stay at Barca and will fight for it.
You know exactly why even though it is ridiculous. All the morons on Twitter lap it up and get him more clicks.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
FDJ doesn’t want to leave or take a paycut. Mendes will try again offering Ronaldo to big clubs in the coming weeks. It’s difficult to get Antony as Ajax don’t want to sell and Manchester United don’t want to pay 80m euros. Oh and THINGS ARE HAPPENING!! Rinse. Repeat.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Thats a very positive update. I'm convinced that we get him if he doesn't reduce his wages

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
This saga has been reduced to the usual click merchants rehashing nothing stories. No reliable journalist has had an update in weeks.
I agree, but where does that leave us? Are we actually just sitting waiting on de Jong? Are we being proactive in any way? Looking at alternatives? The season starts in less than 2 weeks and we're sat there waiting for de Jong and Barca to sort their shit out. Not an ideal start to the season.

mu4c_20le

This + the update that Barca were making an offer to the player and meeting again today is positive in my opinion.

Especially following the CB comments from Xavi meeting yesterday.
How was the meeting positive for us? He came out smiling

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
He wasn't DOF for a decade. He was doing stuff like rebuilding the youth side, women's team etc. and took over as DOF in 2021. He was given autonomy on player recruitment only this year.
Sorry I wasn't implying he was a DOF for a decade, I was saying he has been at the club a decade and DOF for over a year. From what I understand he has hand in pretty much every pot at united over the decade he has been at united. I believe there were reports of him being involved in decision-making the summer we signed Wan-Bissaka and Maguire but happy to be proved wrong.

As far as I'm aware what power Murtough had when he took over compared to now has not been confirmed only speculated. I mean saying he has full autonomy now seems a bit odd, with Ten Hag clearly picking the targets and Arnold travelling with Ten Hag to negotiate deals. Truth is we have no idea, it's just guesswork.

Teja

Sorry I wasn't implying he was a DOF for a decade, I was saying he has been at the club a decade and DOF for over a year. From what I understand he has hand in pretty much every pot at united over the decade he has been at united. I believe there were reports of him being involved in decision-making the summer we signed Wan-Bissaka and Maguire but happy to be proved wrong.

As far as I'm aware what power Murtough had when he took over compared to now has not been confirmed only speculated. I mean saying he has full autonomy now seems a bit odd, with Ten Hag clearly picking the targets and Arnold travelling with Ten Hag to negotiate deals. Truth is we have no idea, it's just guesswork.
Yup I don't want to give him as much of a free pass as some around here but happy to withhold judgement until end of the season.

Esp. because one of the things he did work on before becoming DOF was player recruitment. Some people say that's only the youth side that won the FA cup but I don't buy that. I think everyone in the club (even during the Woody days) recognized that they got the player recruitment horribly wrong and were trying to fix it.

Woody also had comments saying something along the lines of "I didn't previously know who to trust recruitment wise but I do now". I assume he was speaking either about either Murtough or Bout.

Anyway, we know where the buck stops now. No more excuses.

Teja

Can someone who is an expert in Spanish contractual law explain to me how this works? This is very different from how contracts work where I am from.
They're just using their brand to pressure him. Do you want to play for Barca? Sign a new contract with a pay reduction. I'm pretty sure there's nothing they can do to force him to sign the thing under Spanish law.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Can someone who is an expert in Spanish contractual law explain to me how this works? This is very different from how contracts work where I am from.
To fit into their new structure, he needs to drop 50% wages. That's their proposal to him.

Nothing legal about it. Legally, he could stay at Barca on the same wage

Status
Not open for further replies.