Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
They did only because they have some weird destiny with the CL where everything falls perfectly for them year after year. They got outplayed by pretty much all of the English sides but were resilient and got over the line. Real Madrid is also a much better side than Barcelona on their day, though they're aging in key areas so will need to adapt with that. Tournament football is different to league football though, Madrid wouldn't really compete for the Prem with City and Liverpool either with their consistency.
Yeah I know, the jammy feckers. Anyway.

MF1138

To be fair if he's gonna be a back up center half, then he should be taking a wage cut :D

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I still think we'll get him but to be honest I would stick it up to them and pull a Gareth bale just out of spite if I were him.

hobbers

Even if we got him, imagine how much of a train wreck his interview is going to be. Good luck PR spinning your way through that one.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd enjoy Frenkie staying and refusing a pay cut honestly, I want to see Barca struggle

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Even if we got him, imagine how much of a train wreck his interview is going to be. Good luck PR spinning your way through that one.
Not like eriksens was especially happy to be at United! Most of it for him was just due to Ten Hag and playing time. Would be the same for Frenkie. United as a club has not made themselves attractive, on Ten Hag to change that.

RedOrange

I wouldn't put too much stock in the claims that De Jong desperately wants to stay at Barca. The only way De Jong can get the backloaded wages he agreed to forego the previous two seasons is if Barca believes he's actually willing to stay and ride out his current contract despite all the nasty things they're threatening him with.

In the end, if they refuse to find some sort of agreement where they pay him some/all of the backloaded wages, they're out his transfer fee + the remaining balance on his contract, which sounds like it amounts to a few hundred million euros over the next 5 years. They don't really have a choice financially but to pay him off to leave, but they're gambling the amount they'll pay him in wages until the deadline to see if they can keep the 17 million euros they owe him.

Agree. Barcelona is a horrible team, dislikable for so many reasons. But one thing they have proven again to us. It is that you don't need 4 fecking years to rebuild and compete for trophies.
Right, you just need to mortgage 25% of the next 25 years' worth of television revenues.

Reactions: Penna

Ted Lasso

I'm excited to be here. I had the best days of my career with the coach and hope to do one better with Manchester United and bring glory back like we did at Ajax. I'm sorry to keep the fans waiting , but we had some challenging contract details to work out with the previous club. But we're here now and I'm excited to get going.

Bam. That was easy.

Oh and if you need it add a: "don't believe everything you read in the papers "

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's very easy, even average Joe can get that one right.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
The article in The Athletic said that it was par for course that the high-ups within Barca are always wanting to rid of a few players though out the history of Barcelona.
They are used to it and usually fight through the pressures.
But they have never been in massive debt and have to sell their future revenue. They owe millions to players and Barcelona wants to reduce that. You cant fight that by just using historical precedents. Thats why that article was beyond dumb.
If FDJ accepts salary reduction he will be played where he wants, else they will do what they have been doing to him. Play him as CB and that too as substitute

Bondi77

Did Ronnie say that if we don't get Chmps League in his first season he would pass off to another club and him scoring goals was the most important thing to him in the world in his interview with the club??

Gator Nate

I wouldn't put too much stock in the claims that De Jong desperately wants to stay at Barca. The only way De Jong can get the backloaded wages he agreed to forego the previous two seasons is if Barca believes he's actually willing to stay and ride out his current contract despite all the nasty things they're threatening him with.

In the end, if they refuse to find some sort of agreement where they pay him some/all of the backloaded wages, they're out his transfer fee + the remaining balance on his contract, which sounds like it amounts to a few hundred million euros over the next 5 years. They don't really have a choice financially but to pay him off to leave, but they're gambling the amount they'll pay him in wages until the deadline to see if they can keep the 17 million euros they owe him.
Netherlands, Golf, Barcelona?

Melvin Udall

I do wonder if Frenkie will be more tempted to join if we impress in our first couple of games this season? A shame our third game is against Pool though.
An entertaining win or draw against them would be one of the best ways for ETH and the club to get some positive press.

nainaisson

Really poor performance from him at CB tonight. I think we should look elsewhere for a backup to Maguire and Martinez. He's simply not good enough.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I think I’m one of those who will ignore all the info available so far and still BELIEVEEEEEE

First things first the man ain’t gonna bench Pedri or Gavi while they’re fit and ready to play..

Taking a wage cut is one thing but to be second fiddle being Frenkie in the flesh is a whole other thing..

If the man still wishes to stay then it goes to show how far our own club has fallen..

I hope the Glazers can learn a thing or two from this fiasco..

bosskeano

Xavi putting kids and second tier CM's in there ahead of Frenkie and pushing him to CB....he's fuked

Pscholes18

feck this shite.....time to move on....he's doing anything he can not to sign with us. He'd rather not get paid, take a pay cut, and sit on the bench than join Utd. What a muppet.

Waynne

Frenkie has let my jong go cold. I'm zipping up boys, this one's a dud.

Melvin Udall

I think I’m one of those who will ignore all the info available so far and still BELIEVEEEEEE

First things first the man ain’t gonna bench Pedri or Gavi while they’re fit and ready to play..

Taking a wage cut is one thing but to be second fiddle being Frenkie in the flesh is a whole other thing..

If the man still wishes to stay then it goes to show how far our own club has fallen..

I hope the Glazers can learn a thing or two from this fiasco..
I’m not giving up hope as Barcelona still really needs to sell and there is no concrete interest from other clubs.

I am starting to question how much I really want him though. We need players who are fully committed to the project. Can’t have one of our new signings kicking up a fuss if we aren’t in champions league after his first year.

BaneIsPain

If he is willing to become a surplus requirement, why don't we go with a cheaper offer next season?
I mean he is doing everything he can to stay at Barca.

NLunited

If he is willing to become a surplus requirement, why don't we go with a cheaper offer next season?
I mean he is doing everything he can to stay at Barca.
Is he? I think he has 17 million reasons to stay. Nothing has changed except Barça is getting more desperate.

Natener

Not hard to do. All he has to say is he wished the move could have been completed much earlier but there were contract issues that needed sorting out with his previous club.

WPMUFC

He's not even getting throw away preseason minutes in midfield :lol: they are dumping him in CB and hoping to wear him down to achieve either outcome

pratyush_utd

I remember reading that United board is concerned about this. Looking at “lets move on, feck him if he wants to stay” post on internet, it seems like he will be treated quite nastily if he doesn’t perform instantly if he does indeed move to us. People just assume everything negative that is written as truth.

pratyush_utd

He's not even getting throw away preseason minutes in midfield :lol: they are dumping him in CB and hoping to wear him down to achieve either outcome
6th choice at the moment for midfield position and when they get Kounde, he will be 4th choice at CB.

Bestie07

For all the talk about FdJ having to take a paycut to stay at Barcelona (which he legally doesn't have to by the way), I think the bigger issue is that he probably has to take a paycut to join United as well. No way are we (or any other club) paying those astronomical wages to him.

So his options really are:
a. Stay at Barcelona at current salary and ignore the noise
b. Take a paycut and join United/someone else immediately
c. Take a paycut and get embraced again at Barcelona
d. Have Barcelona pay the difference between the new contract he has been offered elsewhere and his current one.

I think he is only considering options a and d, while Barcelona are pushing him for option b and c.

WPMUFC

6th choice at the moment for midfield position and when they get Kounde, he will be 4th choice at CB.
And he said at the nation's tournament that he loves how lvg gets him playing deep, receiving the ball and running forward. He sees that as his position. I don't know why folks keep saying "well technically he's played CB before"....yes, when he's call upon to help out. Xavi is now clear, he's a bench rotation CB. It's not where he wants to play, this is all Barcelona douchebaggery

pratyush_utd

For all the talk about FdJ having to take a paycut to stay at Barcelona (which he legally doesn't have to by the way), I think the bigger issue is that he probably has to take a paycut to join United as well. No way are we (or any other club) paying those astronomical wages to him.

So his options really are:
a. Stay at Barcelona at current salary and ignore the noise
b. Take a paycut and join United/someone else immediately
c. Take a paycut and get embraced again at Barcelona
d. Have Barcelona pay the difference between the new contract he has been offered elsewhere and his current one.

I think he is only considering options a and d, while Barcelona are pushing him for option b and c.
Barcelona wants him to let go off his 17m deferred wages and sign 225k euros(50-60% reported drop) contract . We can offer salary in range of 275-300k pounds. That is an instant ~100k wage increase.

GreatDane

Not like eriksens was especially happy to be at United! Most of it for him was just due to Ten Hag and playing time. Would be the same for Frenkie. United as a club has not made themselves attractive, on Ten Hag to change that.
He's always been like that, when he was younger, at the national team - just a classic introvert not thriving being the center of attention.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I think all this latest coverage and mind you, a ton of it, is to pressure Frenkie but ultimately they will have to first clear his deferred wages before he may even take a pay cut for the future and stay at Barca..

Fool me once shame on you.. fool me twice……. I think he’s well aware that any more commitments to Barca should come on a trust basis going forward even if he wants to stay..

Barca are under pressure to resolve this issue asap as the season is about to start and they’re playing their final cards early-ish before it’s too late

I’d say ”I thought I would spend my career at Barcelona, but everyone knows the financial issues there and the problems with ffp. Just like with Messi last year, it made it impossible for me to stay.
However I informed the club that if I was to move, I was only interested in a move to Manchester United, to team up with the manager again. I was in constant contact with Erik and it’s been a long and frustrating process but I’m happy we finally got the deal through and I’m very excited to be here blah blah blah…”

I’d then add in how “Erik played me in my best position, something I never really had the opportunity to play at Barcelona” and about how “we spoke about his plans for me here, which made me know this was the right place for me”

Oh, and what a surprise there was no interview telling us he wants to stay & renegotiate his deal.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I’d say ”I thought I would spend my career at Barcelona, but everyone knows the financial issues there and the problems with ffp. Just like with Messi last year, it made it impossible for me to stay.
However I informed the club that if I was to move, I was only interested in a move to Manchester United, to team up with the manager again. I was in constant contact with Erik and it’s been a long and frustrating process but I’m happy we finally got the deal through and I’m very excited to be here blah blah blah…”

I’d then add in how “Erik played me in my best position, something I never really had the opportunity to play at Barcelona” and about how “we spoke about his plans for me here, which made me know this was the right place for me”

Oh, and what a surprise there was no interview telling us he wants to stay & renegotiate his deal.
De Jong could shut this down in seconds with an interview, but no... If he was planning on staying and renegotiating, then telling people about it wouldn't hurt his position as it's what he wants.
Just saying something simple like "I'm in talks with Barca about staying" would pretty much shut everything down rather quick (unless they can't negotiate anything, then the circus begins again)

Status
Not open for further replies.