Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

They don’t owe him anything. He signed a contract that deferred his wages to 2022-26. He got all the money they were supposed to pay him per his contract until now.

They (might) want to sell him, he doesn’t want to go because 1) he would rather play for Barca, 2) he will get paid better over there for the next 5 years than he would have been anywhere else.
They will owe him those wages if they want to sell him. He gives it up if he intends to leave. That's how I see it.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Of course we'd brief if we were walking away, it'd make sense. Put the blame on Barca. It'd be something simple like "Untied have decided to end their pursuit of Frenkie de Jong" that'll literally be it
Yep, and the silence on that front is very telling

Teja

Is this guy an idiot? Like seriously! He's seeing his 'dream club' buying player after player, yet the same club are not paying his owed wages. What a mug!
Which is exactly why he's not agreeing a deal with Barca straight away. Make them sweat it and give him a proper offer for his deferred wages. Or pay him for another year. No way they'll feck around next season by leaving him on the bench or at CB.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yep, and the silence on that front is very telling
Yep because United still believe that they'll get him, and if they believe, then i do too.
We don't know the true story, the deal could be pretty much done for all we know... we have no idea

I admire your ability in mental gymnastics but if Barca are offering to pay Frenkie the fee, even in installments and he is STILL reluctant to leave, I would think he just isn't keen on United and wants to stay. We are really running out of excuses at this point.
If they are offering to pay it over ten years, which I wouldn’t put beyond them with how they’ve acted, that’d make a big difference to life decisions, but sure, let’s pretend there’s no massive difference between 1.7m annually (minus tax) and 17-20m in one lump sum :houllier:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Has anything actually changed since page one?

JuriM

Dreadful source though
Well, the same wording from Ali Dursun has been going around for ages from different sources - nothing new, but the story remains the same. Work to do to find a solution that gives Frenkie and his reps the outcome they want.

Walters_19_MuFc

They don’t owe him anything. He signed a contract that deferred his wages to 2022-26. He got all the money they were supposed to pay him per his contract until now.

They (might) want to sell him, he doesn’t want to go because 1) he would rather play for Barca, 2) he will get paid better over there for the next 5 years than he would have been anywhere else.
So whats this talk of him being owed 17M Euros?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
With Kounde coming in now, surely its pretty much guaranteed that Barca have to sell De Jong or they won't be able to register all their purchases.

Alemar

With Kounde coming in now, surely its pretty much guaranteed that Barca have to sell De Jong or they won't be able to register all their purchases.
Not quite. They definitely have to sell - to get transfer income and wage off the bill. But it may be not only de Jong - they could also sell another player (or three). They need financial numbers.

Gandalf

Not quite. They definitely have to sell - to get transfer income and wage off the bill. But it may be not only de Jong - they could also sell another player (or three). They need financial numbers.
Frenkie is ideal because a willing buyer is lined up for a very good fee. They have a bunch of players they would love to offload but nobody really interested and they would be fire sale prices at best and they would probably need to compensate players for loss of earnings there too as much of the deadwood are on crazy contracts they will never match elsewhere, sounds familiar as a Man Utd fan.

Nicolarra90

Any significant updates since last Friday? I lost track because of real family issues.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
so they want to play him as a centre back and then go and sign Kounde, how many more signings will it take to tell him hes not wanted and isnt being paid.
Its like you know youre going home after payday and the kids will be there wanting money, so you go and spend it all and then be all innocent and say theres nothing left, sorry, could you lend me some to fuel the car I just bought.

Redcy

ETH has already said he sees Martinez as a CB, and Eriksen as primarily a #10. Our pressing need was in the holding midfielder position.

Also, your whole point seems to be its not CONFIRMED yet that FDJ will stay at Barca. While I have never said he will, I just said its looking likely. So yeah, not really interested in your strawman arguments.
has eth said anything about eriksen playing as a 10. I havent seen the latest interviews though

frostbite

Do we know if there is a realistic way to resolve this 17 million problem?

I mean, if Barca pays the 17 million now, then this will count towards their wage limit for next year, right? So, perhaps for accounting reasons it is impossible for them to do this, even if they wanted to.

On the other hand, if Man Utd accepts to pay an extra 17 million as wages, then they will want to spread this to multiple years --- basically Frenkie will have an elevated salary for the next few years. But he already has this, so why move? Plus this will mess up the wage structure for Man Utd.

Teja

Do we know if there is a realistic way to resolve this 17 million problem?

I mean, if Barca pays the 17 million now, then this will count towards their wage limit for next year, right? So, perhaps for accounting reasons it is impossible for them to do this, even if they wanted to.

On the other hand, if Man Utd accepts to pay an extra 17 million as wages, then they will want to spread this to multiple years --- basically Frenkie will have an elevated salary for the next few years. But he already has this, so why move? Plus this will mess up the wage structure for Man Utd.
I'm sure the accountants and the lawyers can work something out if Barca actually wants to pay that 17M.

So far their stance has been you will only get your deferred wages if you are a part of Barcelona and given you won't be, we don't owe you a penny.

George The Best

But they are trying to shove him out the door without honouring the wages he deferred. FDJ played for relative peanuts for 2 years to help the club out, on the understanding those wages would be repaid (plus interest) over the remaining years of his contract. Now they want to default on that agreement by either selling him before the end of contact, or getting him to accept a wage cut. Which ever way you look at it that is basically theft of his money, whilst they happily dish out deals to new players.

So, option 3) they agree to pay the money they are trying to steal and he moves. Best deal for all parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.