Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantonaaa!

This Bad Religion song could well be a glimpse into the future, when Darren Fletcher, our manager, still hasn’t walked away from this deal

Shut off the TV and peel off those Sunday gloves
And I'll stain the clean that you've been counting
Old Mr. Fletcher passed by here today
After 40 years of toil he just up and walked away

Fantastic, the panic that showed in his eyes
He shrugged when I asked him about it
He said, "Young man, pay heed, you listen well to what I say
Now there comes a time for a man to walk away"

Walk away, walk away, I'll be a parade
And I'll be determined that no one shall dissuade
On my way, I'll sure take some time
And burn all the bridges that I'm leaving behind

He passed by again and he was shivering from the cold
I'm not sure but I think that he was trying
He told me about the weather and something old to pay
But tomorrow, he said, I'm gonna surely walk away

Walk away, walk away, I'll be a parade
And I'll be determined that no one shall dissuade
On my way, I'll take my sweet time
And burn all the bridges that I'm leaving behind

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Anyway I expect this will get wrapped up this week

We are, and we're desperate
Meh, we've offered €75m euros fixed (+10 in variables) and Barcelona are offering him 7.5m of that. If we instead agree to €85m fixed so they can do the deal with him, who gives a feck really? Either way, he'll be getting his 17m out of United's money, whether it's from the fixed 75m (+10) or fixed 85m fee.

Lynty

As we all suspected. There is no plan B.
Completely agree. It'll be well worth the wait if the the club is confident we can get him. The alertnatives were just more mediocrity.

If we don't get him...pitchforks out.

High stakes poker - love it.

fergosaurus

We have already failed since we upped the price by 10m euros, we didn't stand our ground.
No matter what happens from here, we have failed to rebuild our image as shrewed workers in the market (this also includes overpaying for Martinez)
I'm talking about holding our ground now and not paying the deferred wages. That's a bit different than negotiating a fee which we believe is fair.

romufc

As we all suspected. There is no plan B.
Its more the fact De Jong is like 10x levels above any other plan B would be.

The tweet actually says plan B and them not being good enough.

I dont even think you can name me 1 midfielder who we could sign, anywhere near his quality for the price.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Its more the fact De Jong is like 10x levels above any other plan B would be.

The tweet actually says plan B and them not being good enough.

I dont even think you can name me 1 midfielder who we could sign, anywhere near his quality for the price.
Bernardo Silva, Jude Bellingham, Declan Rice, etc. Don’t tell me we can’t sign them, because you don’t know that.

LordSpud

Good to see the English journos starting to get back on this. Been too quiet for too long on this side, its been bumbling along on the back of Spanish reports for a while.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm talking about holding our ground now and not paying the deferred wages. That's a bit different than negotiating a fee which we believe is fair.
I was talking about if we were mugs or not

Lynty

Bernardo Silva, Jude Bellingham, Declan Rice, etc. Don’t tell me we can’t sign them, because you don’t know that.
:lol::lol::lol:

Bernardo can't be used in the same role.

Bellginham and Rice would both be £150m this season and neither are at De Jong's level yet, who we can get for half the price.

I'm sure we'll be in for Bellingham when it's his time to move.

Josep Dowling

I mean, the tweet actually mentions the plan B targets :lol:

Unless you thought our plan B's were as good as de Jong, in which case, give your head a shake.
The plan B, C or Z would be better than playing McFred on a weekly basis. The plan B may not be better than De Jong but the club acting like there is no other option in world football is ridiculous. I would rather go for plan B if the club are willing to make any contribution to the deferred wages, above the agreed fee. Even an indebted Barcelona have played us like mugs.

the_cliff

I don't understand the whole no 'plan B' thing. We need another midfielder regardless of FDJ joining.

It's not as if McFred is the greatest midfield 2 in the world and if one of them gets injured we'll be starting academy players.

WPMUFC

Good to see the English journos starting to get back on this. Been too quiet for too long on this side, its been bumbling along on the back of Spanish reports for a while.
The good english journos go quiet because we agreed the deal with Barca, our end of this deal is done. This entire saga is FDJ-Barca, we are just waiting to see the outcome.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that paying his salary arrears would be silly

phelans shorts

I don't understand the whole no 'plan B' thing. We need another midfielder regardless of FDJ joining.

It's not as if McFred is the greatest midfield 2 in the world and if one of them gets injured we'll be starting academy players.
But there are plan B’s, they’re just nowhere near Frenkie’s level. So what’s the point in backing out with a month to go and getting a far inferior player?

Lynty

The plan B, C or Z would be better than playing McFred on a weekly basis. The plan B may not be better than De Jong but the club acting like there is no other option in world football is ridiculous. I would rather go for plan B if the club are willing to make any contribution to the deferred wages, above the agreed fee. Even an indebted Barcelona have played us like mugs.
That thought process only works if you're certain we won't get De Jong. As squnadering £60m on Neves fimrly puts the nail in the coffin for the De Jong transfers.

It's the same thought process a child uses when you go into a shop to buy a lego set they've been after for ages - to find it out of stock. The sensible thing is to save their money until it's available again. The child obviously wants to buy anything with the £50 they've been given, so they waste it on megablocks because they haven't got megablocks and it's sort of like lego.

We all know megablocks is far inferior to lego, and that silly child has wasted their money through impatience.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think that paying his salary arrears would be silly
I don't think we are, we've agreed a fee. Barcelona need to sort out the salary he believes he's owed. If they want to use part of the fee we've agreed to do that - that's on Barcelona.

BlueHaze

He has addressed it? He's gone for his number one target, who unfortunately is in a very complicated situation at Barca?
Thats not his fault is it? He's done all he can upto now to get things moving, but if Barca are taking the piss, thats not really ten Hags fault now is it?
Adressing it means signing one or two preferably before pre season to get them some time to play together. Not spending 80% of window chasing what seems an unatainable target. Whole De Jong thing is amateur stuff. If they do not get him which seems the case then we go into a new season with that same rubbish CM lineup because they had no back up options to Frenkie....

JuriM

There is nobody in the market at the level near of Frenkie de Jong to play in the same role in this system we want to play - So no plan B for Frenkie.

If Frenkie deal doesn't come through we look at someone in different mold and use our current squad players to mold someone to play the "Frenkie" role in our tactical system.

Easy to understand.

ffs, the club have plan B's... just confirmed in that fecking tweet.

Also confirmed is that the club see de Jong as absolutely miles better than the plan B's, very unsurprisingly. Therefore the club and manager want to proceed with de Jong.

And paying 10m for de Jong or spending 50m on the next Fred... no thanks.

WPMUFC

But there are plan B’s, they’re just nowhere near Frenkie’s level. So what’s the point in backing out with a month to go and getting a far inferior player?
yeah exactly, Luckhurst is saying there are obviously other people, but if you're going to deadline day for your first option, you aren't going to buy a clearly inferior "B" option on deadline day for the sake of it....it's literally what we have criticised the club doing for years :lol:

phelans shorts

There is nobody in the market at the level near of Frenkie de Jong to play in the same role in this system we want to play - So no plan B for Frenkie.

If Frenkie deal doesn't come through we look at someone in different mold and use our current squad players to mold someone to play the "Frenkie" role in our tactical system.

Easy to understand.
For the second part, we need to do that anyway. We do need backups, Frenkie won’t be available for every game, particularly this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.