Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodzy

Worry not lads, I’m 100% confident De Jong will be starting next to Maguire at CB on Sunday.

RatPack

Just read an article in Danish news that to get deal done Man Utd will cover the deferred payments to de jong.
Seriously hope that is not true.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Just read an article in Danish news that to get deal done Man Utd will cover the deferred payments to de jong.
Seriously hope that is not true.
At this point I couldn't care less if we do that, if it means we get him. Sprat to catch a mackerel, even though that's a very big sprat.

ForeverRed1

I keep thinking walk away but then I remember our midfield, then I watch clips of frenkie playing football and I stay just that little bit longer

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
At this point I couldn't care less if we do that, if it means we get him. Sprat to catch a mackerel, even though that's a very big sprat.
We should absolutely not be paying a penny of the money Barcelona owe him. We'd look like absolute mugs.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah, we had plenty of time to be patient earlier but ideally if he's coming he needs to come before the season properly starts. Thinking towards the Liverpool game we need someone with his press resistance in the middle of the pitch otherwise we're getting screwed quickly.

Don't want us paying Barca's bills though.

RatPack

When is deadline for barca to register players.
If barca dont fall before that date they wont.
Then we either pay up or move on.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
This is from the mirror, not the best source but I figured it was interesting enough to share.
De Jong's considerable salary is still causing problems at the Camp Nou but according to Article 41 of the Workers' Statute in Spain, Barcelona could potentially be set to reduce that.

The article states that an employer is able to modify working hours, work schedule, work system and the salary already agreed upon in a certain employee's contract - meaning that they could reduce his pay at any given time.

However, it is not quite as simple as that. As Barcelona recruit over 300 employees, then the law states that the modifications should affect a minimum of 30 employees in total - an unlikely move to make.

In the meantime, the change has to be communicated to the legal representatives of the employee within 10 days prior to the introduction of the change following an initial consultation period. During that consultation - or resultant arbitration - an agreement has to be found between the employee and the employer.

That is where De Jong and United could come in. The Dutchman could either accept the lower wage, go to a labour court or indeed terminate his contract with the club and then receive 20 days' salary compensation per year of service for 20 months
Should De Jong go down the third route before the end of the transfer window then that would effectively render him a free agent and available to join the Red Devils.
Frenkie on a free anyone?! Barca can legally try to force a pay cut on FDJ, but that also gives him the right to cancel his contract and move for free.
Just a little reminder that it’s not just Spanish FFP and LaLiga financial rules that are at play her but also Spanish employment law. You can see why this situation is so complicated and why everybody is treading so lightly.

Same here. Four weeks ago I was of the opinion that we should wait it out as long as required and being honest that probably is still the smartest move financially, Barca will eventually buckle. But feck it, if we have to pay them 17 million more than we originally agreed to get this shit done, just fecking do it, it’s not our money anyway.

Loony BoB

I don't want us to pay their bills. But if the fee was fixed at whatever amount at the very beginning and we paid it, I don't think many people would have done much in the way of blinking, either. If the options are he goes to another club or we pay a higher sum, I'd take the higher sum and be done with it. The longer we drag this on the less we reap the benefits. I just want us to get two a RW, personally, but if de Jong means that much to ETH then I say we pay up and get this over and done with. The points we get in the next couple of weeks can be the difference between 4th and 5th. Gotta get that UCL football so we can pick our targets more cleanly next season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This is from the mirror, not the best source but I figured it was interesting enough to share.
Frenkie on a free anyone?! Barca can legally try to force a pay cut on FDJ, but that also gives him the right to cancel his contract and move for free.
Just a little reminder that it’s not just Spanish FFP and LaLiga financial rules that are at play her but also Spanish employment law. You can see why this situation is so complicated and why everybody is treading so lightly.
Yah... The he will need to recoup the list £17million from us. The wage structure would be shot to smithereens. He will be making more than The King. And your highness will never accept being paid less than a midfielder

MrSingh2002

Can't remember a situation where the player has been this stubborn to leave a club when not wanted.

Take the owed wages aside and this is a horrible look for De Jong image wise. Surely he could move and then sue Barca for the unpaid earnings instead?

Any lawyers in the house?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
We should absolutely not be paying a penny of the money Barcelona owe him. We'd look like absolute mugs.
I know you're right and objectively it's a ridiculous situation, but we have to be pragmatic. If it means juggling his salary or bonuses or whatever, it should hopefully be worth it as the season progresses. If this player is absolutely key to the new manager, then he'll be worth it.

Goodness knows we've wasted far more than that on other players in the past and got nothing to show for it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Agreed.

At the beginning of the window the journos were saying that Murtough wanted to change the way we are viewed as pushovers that overpay. So far, not so good. But if we pay Barca's bill then that will be rock bottom for us. There's no coming back from that in terms of respect we'll have in future negotiations.

mav_9me

Can't remember a situation where the player has been this stubborn to leave a club when not wanted.

Take the owed wages aside
and this is a horrible look for De Jong image wise. Surely he could move and then sue Barca for the unpaid earnings instead?

But that's exactly why he is in this situation. How can you take that aside?

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119

Take the owed wages aside and this is a horrible look for De Jong image wise. Surely he could move and then sue Barca for the unpaid earnings instead?

Not a lawyer, but the fact that the above has not happened makes me think that the way they deferred the wages is by restructuring his contract with a lower salary in the initial years and a higher salary later. This would allow Barca to show less expenditure in the short-term and boost their profitability. So on paper, he technically isn't owed anything by Barca, he would just be leaving before the higher wages kick in.

feck me it gets explained on every single page of this thread. According to the top sources on this, no he cannot because that was not how his new deal was restructured.
He needs to mutually terminate his contract with his club just like every other player and just like with any player leaving a lot of money on the table, he is demanding a settlement package. Club & player can’t agree on that settlement.

Hence why we’re here.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I can confirm Mikky’s not updated her instagram again since yesterdays confirmation of the move. No doubt she’s packing

sglowrider

Seriously? Forgot to put on your thinking cap today?

What would you do with £17million at stake? Walkaway? I bet you would do exactly the same thing as Frenkie even for 10k never mind £17million.

fergosaurus

Agreed.

At the beginning of the window the journos were saying that Murtough wanted to change the way we are viewed as pushovers that overpay. So far, not so good. But if we pay Barca's bill then that will be rock bottom for us. There's no coming back from that in terms of respect we'll have in future negotiations.
Exactly, we'd look incredibly desperate and weak when we're working to restore our image in the transfer market. Not only that, after the way Barca have treated their player while going on a spending spree is nothing short of disgraceful. It wouldn't be fair if they got away with it so easily and would only emboldened them to act with this level of entitlement in the future.

dove

I can confirm Mikky’s not updated her instagram again since yesterdays confirmation of the move. No doubt she’s packing
Looking at her depressed face I think it's safe to say they are already house hunting in Manchester.

sglowrider

feck me it gets explained on every single page of this thread. According to the top sources on this, no he cannot because that was not how his new deal was restructured.
He needs to mutually terminate his contract with his club just like every other player and just like with any player leaving a lot of money on the table, he is demanding a settlement package. Club & player can’t agree on that settlement.

Hence why we’re here.
You just need to cut & paste at this point. Either the situation is dangerous for some as it may eat up 3 out of their remaining 6 brain cells or they are just naturally very poor at comprehension.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So are Barcelona. We just need to hold our nerve and this will be resolved.
We have already failed since we upped the price by 10m euros, we didn't stand our ground.
No matter what happens from here, we have failed to rebuild our image as shrewed workers in the market (this also includes overpaying for Martinez)

Status
Not open for further replies.