Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Melissa Reddy isn't reporting anything new regarding Neves and quite clearly states the interest in him is old. She also mentions Renato Sanches as a 'loosely' linked option but isn't putting too much stock into that name just yet. But she's basing her news on Neves due to United holding a historical interest in the player. And I'm not sure that historical interest still holds, now that Solskjaer and the heads of scouting have left the club.

So basically she's saying that because we've had an interest in the past, we may have an interest should we not get de Jong?
I mean we might? Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't mind Neves, but he'd cost us a fortune as Wolves would absolutely rinse us big time knowing we had an €85m bid in place for de Jong.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So we take Dest off their hands they pay Frenkie... Job done

Dest may just be the single worst right back I've ever seen playing for a CL club. In comparison Dalot and AWB look like Cafu and Thuram.

Can't defend, almost as hopeless in attack. Luton wouldn't play him. 20m euros would be a scandal and should be investigated by the police for money laundering. The Bebe deal was less dodgy than that would be if it were to happen.

The queen should dissolve the board of Man Utd if they were to pay a single English pound towards this transfer.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Melissa Reddy isn't reporting anything new regarding Neves and quite clearly states the interest in him is old. She also mentions Renato Sanches as a 'loosely' linked option but isn't putting too much stock into that name just yet. But she's basing her news on Neves due to United holding a historical interest in the player. And I'm not sure that historical interest still holds, now that Solskjaer and the heads of scouting have left the club.

Sounds as expected. Making it up or using our alleged former interest so she can put together a story.

AlexUTD

Dest may just be the single worst right back I've ever seen playing for a CL club. In comparison Dalot and AWB look like Cafu and Thuram.

Can't defend, almost as hopeless in attack. Luton wouldn't play him. 20m euros would be a scandal and should be investigated by the police for money laundering. The Bebe deal was less dodgy than that would be if it were to happen.

The queen should dissolve the board of Man Utd if they were to pay a single English pound towards this transfer.

You lost me there mate :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So basically she's saying that because we've had an interest in the past, we may have an interest should we not get de Jong?
I mean we might? Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't mind Neves, but he'd cost us a fortune as Wolves would absolutely rinse us big time knowing we had an €85m bid in place for de Jong.
Exactly.

She's basing her thoughts on Neves due to our interest in the past.

TOKUGAWA-X

ETH better had FDJ commitment weeks ago or he would sabotage his own season.

I cant believe he pushed for FDJ signing when he didnt have anything from the player, it would be madness.

It is so dangerous to get into the season with only Fred and Mctominay. It is like we didnt learn the lesson.

It is all on ETH.

Counterfactual

So, you don't rate him...?

Hal9000

This. Neves on his own isn’t nearly as good as FDJ obviously but a Neves and Fred partnership would be night and day to Mctominay and Fred.
God knows why we are not heavily linked with Fabian Ruiz.. Year left on his contract and showing no signs he wants to renew.. big, strong, great passer and press resistance. Yeah maybe he's not on FDJ level but he's a great pick and will cost nowhere near as much as Neves.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
She's basing her thoughts on Neves due to our interest in the past.
This is the problem with journos and reports today.

A lot of it is opinion based on past information or just pure opinion that is reported in such a way that it comes across as fact. She said Chelseas interest is only getting louder, but adds nothing at all to back that up, just says that due to new ownership, they're being linked to everyone. It's just stupid, but it works. People believe it

Chief123

We’re just doing this deal to pay Frenkies wages without being investigated. We’ll run his contract down and let him leave on a free.

Strootman's Finger

Can we stop with this already. YT is an upgrade on any CM we currently have, regardless of what role he potentially plays.

Alternative as in player, not necessarily like for like.
If we buy a player just because they are marginally better than what we have do you expect us to then upgrade again next year and sell said stop gap player? Have you just started following United? If we sign a player then they are with us till the end of time. So we may move on from McFred, but then will spend the next 6 years saying Teleimans isn't good enough and bitching that the club won't upgrade him.

SER19

What a shockingly misguided pursuit this is proving to be. 3 days from start of PL season and were still crawling after a guy who does not want to come. Yes you can make all the excuses you like to feel better about it. Im actually a little concerned if our style and plan is so dependent on one player. What if he tears a cruciate? You simply have to be flexible enough to consider and scout alternatives. An entire summer is long enough to try

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We’re just doing this deal to pay Frenkies wages without being investigated. We’ll run his contract down and let him leave on a free.
Never has a more talentless, undeserving player been linked to Man Utd. And we had Bill Prunier and Massimo Taibi play for us.

Withnail

I don't know much about him to be honest but, in that case you'll be glad to hear @mazhar13 already pissed all over it as made up nonsense.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Does seem to make sense really doesn't it? We're likely not in for him and the journos are just trying to drum up some more views.
If it was to happen, it's a bit dodgy, seeing as we'd have to pay him wages too, which would just be a waste

Widow

If we buy a player just because they are marginally better than what we have
He is far better than what we have.

Have you just started following United
Why are you being so patronising? Is it the only way you can get your point across?

You're not a fan, that's your prerogative, I believe he'd be a god upgrade and would work well with our setup.

mu4c_20le

:lol: fair. I didn’t mean it to come across all ‘trust me bro’. I just can’t see it. Feels like our name is being chucked in.
I'd be shocked if we signed Dest. Even moreso if ETH turns him into a player

Strootman's Finger

He is far better than what we have.

Why are you being so patronising? Is it the only way you can get your point across?

You're not a fan, that's your prerogative, I believe he'd be a god upgrade and would work well with our setup.
Hard to convey tone on the internet, my intent was more mocking the club and how we keep people years beyond their usefulness to the club, not to imply you are not a real fan or something... in fact I really hate when people do that, so I apologize that's how my post came across.

Superunknown

Ah yes, because those are similar circumstances. Rooney came here when he was what? 20? Mane's talent was evident for a long time.

Must be due to Neves's brilliance that clubs are lining up for his signature. Oh wait, they are not. He is average and slow. Not bad, just average. A marginal improvement over what we have. Which isn't hard considering his competition is... McTominay. And also Wolves will take us to the cleaners for him. If we miss out on De Jong and have to settle for Neves instead, then that's an utter failure in planning and strategy. Maybe if Wolves settle for a €30M + €10M. Then maybe. Will they?

Not to mention his profile is nothing like De Jong. Like, not even close.

I mean, Neves. Seriously...
First of all, I think it's worth letting you know that your tone is very patronising and condescending.

He's the back-up. De Jong is still the target, but you need back-ups on your list in case the first target is unavailable. Or you end up with potentially nothing. Chelsea will be going through a similar thing due to them missing out on one or two of their targets, as well. It happens at all clubs. Sometimes you get your first choice, sometimes you don't.

As for Neves, you yourself have just said that he is a marginal improvement on what we currently have. The whole point of a transfer window is to improve the quality of your first 11, as well as add depth to the side. We no longer have Matic or Pogba in midfield, so our only real current option is McTominay and Fred. The players need upgrading and if Neves is one who fits the profile, then that's great for us.

If Mane's talent was evident for a long time, then why did we not commit and get him? Or Real Madrid? Or Bayern Munich at the time? What about Van Dijk? Or Kevin de Bruyne when he was at Wolfsburg? Asking "who else is in for him?" is not a valuable metric whatsoever to decide whether a player is worth going for or not. It's useless. You look at what the player can offer and you build a picture of what they can bring to the team. Then it's down to the club to go out and get the player. By the same token, why aren't City or Liverpool in for de Jong? Why isn't Bayern Munich looking at him? Or Juventus, or one of the Milan clubs? It's logic that just doesn't hold up.

Chief123

Does seem to make sense really doesn't it? We're likely not in for him and the journos are just trying to drum up some more views.
If it was to happen, it's a bit dodgy, seeing as we'd have to pay him wages too, which would just be a waste
We’ve probably done a deal with Barca where they pay Dest’s wages and we pay Frenkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.