Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teja

So I know ffp is basically bogus but can Chelsea really spend the sums being bandied about here?

Sterling, Koulibaly, Fofana, Cucurella and Frenkie?

Isn't that close to 280M in a summer?

Dread Devil

Why did they agree a fee with us if they were looking for a higher bidder? Surely nobody’s going to bid more than what they’ve already accepted from us? The only way more money makes it into that deal is if it gets sent Frenkie’s way.
We know that Barca agreed a fee with United…we also know that De Jong dropped his wage during Covid….we also know DeJongs wages would be much higher in the last two years of his contract….

Once Barca and United agreed the fee Barca spoke to De Jong and his agent and after that everything has gone quiet…,

De Jong and his agent must have either said pay us the money we waived during Covid circa 17m or we don’t move….

Barca didn’t account for this and need a higher purchase price…if they get one especially from a champions league club they would put pressure on United to up their price and they could pay De Jong some of the money he thinks he is owed

Its all guesswork really…none of us know the ins and outs but there has been so little real info coming out…but United haven’t walked away….De Jong has not said he isn’t interested in United…

But if Chelsea did offer 5m more, Barca could offer that to De Jong and Chelsea could offer Champions league…

We would then have to consider matching that amount…

It will all be clear very soon..

Last edited:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
So I know ffp is basically bogus but can Chelsea really spend the sums being bandied about here?

They could... but they won't i'd imagine.

Frenkie won't go to Chelsea in my opinion, i think they'd probably be interested, but thats all it'll be. They won't match our offer. They might go for him if we drop out at any time though

MrSingh2002

I'd take Neves if De Jong doesn't happen.

He's probably more suited to Ten Hags style at CDM than Fred who can't keep the ball to save his life.

At home it could be Neves and Eriksen to control games with the ball and away from home you could always bring Fred or McTominay back in for the physicality and mobility.

You'd think the club have a better scouting network to identify the worlds best young defensive midfielders.... but we've not being linked with anyone that fits that description so Neves will do.

NZT-One

He is an ok player, better than mctominay, but you can’t play him with a box to box midfielder like fred
Thing is, that mostly applies to FDJ as well. Wouldn't mind Neves, but only for a reasonable price and certainly not as the only addition, but in this regard, it is the exact same case as with FDJ. Our midfielders lack two things, ball progression and defensive prowess. FDJ is pure ball progression, done by his very good dribbling skills and his very good passing skills. Neves is also a progressor of the ball, but for sure not as a dribbler. He is the one being able to ping crossfield passes around from one side of the pitch to the other. Both have their uses. In terms of defensive prowess it isn't as good of an outlook. We know from FDJ that he went to Barcelona with the perspective of replacing Busquets (who is now 34 years) but he wasn't able to do that - we have to at least think about that in terms of why that is and why it would be different at United. From Neves we know that he is holding himself decently well in the Premier League, is decent in interceptions and not totally wack tackling wise. But, of course, very difficult to compare players who play for clubs with such different game plans.

For the supposed prices of Neves, he shouldn't be an option. And seeing the clip, there probably isn't much in it and it was just jibber jabber by the journalist. Putting a name that would make sense.

Apart from that: I was totally for at least naming possible alternatives to FDJ to add pressure on Barcelona. I hope that isn't an attempt in doing that... Because it never should be framed as some sort of replacement scenario as we'd put ourselves in the pole position to get fleeced.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

We will have done outgoings to balance…. but we were already talking about spending near 300 million if it was for the right players, do not a stretch. We wouldn’t have issues with FFP. Kante is getting up in age and upgrading Jorginho could make a big difference launching attacks.

cyberman

Because they just had 1.5b of debt wiped out because of reasons?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

How about using that money to pay Frenkie what you owe him you slimes.

Redcy

Thing is, that mostly applies to FDJ as well. Wouldn't mind Neves, but only for a reasonable price and certainly not as the only addition, but in this regard, it is the exact same case as with FDJ. Our midfielders lack two things, ball progression and defensive prowess. FDJ is pure ball progression, done by his very good dribbling skills and his very good passing skills. Neves is also a progressor of the ball, but for sure not as a dribbler. He is the one being able to ping crossfield passes around from one side of the pitch to the other. Both have their uses. In terms of defensive prowess it isn't as good of an outlook. We know from FDJ that he went to Barcelona with the perspective of replacing Busquets (who is now 34 years) but he wasn't able to do that - we have to at least think about that in terms of why that is and why it would be different at United. From Neves we know that he is holding himself decently well in the Premier League, is decent in interceptions and not totally wack tackling wise. But, of course, very difficult to compare players who play for clubs with such different game plans.

For the supposed prices of Neves, he shouldn't be an option. And seeing the clip, there probably isn't much in it and it was just jibber jabber by the journalist. Putting a name that would make sense.

Apart from that: I was totally for at least naming possible alternatives to FDJ to add pressure on Barcelona. I hope that isn't an attempt in doing that... Because it never should be framed as some sort of replacement scenario as we'd put ourselves in the pole position to get fleeced.
no the difference between de jong and neves is mobility. Neves has none, de jong can at least play as a reasonably good cb. With neves and Fred you get completely overran in midfield, because if the ball gets intercepted you are completely done on the counter.

if you buy neves you have to have a defensive beast, fdj has shown he doesn’t need that.

fdj if bought to replace biscuits was a shit buy , showing no understanding of the type of player he is

dutchred

That's the issue, mate - not many alternatives of sufficient quality. Neves for 60m is steep, but it's the going rate.
At that price I would rather take a chance with developing Iqbal and Savage. We know we are not going to be champions this season, so why waste money, but develop or wait for the right person to become available. Personally if we can't get Frenkie I'd go for Diaz. Good value for money

SirScholes

At that price I would rather take a chance with developing Iqbal and Savage. We know we are not going to be champions this season, so why waste money, but develop or wait for the right person to become available. Personally if we can't get Frenkie I'd go for Diaz. Good value for money
Because if we don’t sort out midfield we won’t have champions league the season after either

MrSingh2002

Inigo Martinez is a CB. Would mean De Jong drops even lower in the pecking order.

Another push out the door.

Still all depends on whether De Jong gets his owed wages, and if so, where his Mrs wants to live....

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Where's that Barca fan spouting his undying bullshit love for his beloved crack arse owners?

Love to see him excuse this nonsense. Fecked you are if you don't get players off the books. Embarrassing Spanish twats.

AlexUTD

Strootman's Finger

Technically you are right, he agreed the wage drop….but if the club want rid of him before he then gets the money he reduced and agreed to be paid on top his earnings the next two years he and most people would would feel he is owed that….

I am sure he is unhappy his agent didn’t spot all eventualities but his agent and De Jong himself went into the agreement in good faith….therefore they expect Barca to act similarly…
Barca - Frenkie, please defer these wages and allow them to be paid over the remainder of your contract.

Frenkie - Sure, if it will help the club.

Barca - Thanks for agreeing, btw, we're selling you now against your wishes.

I'd either get my lawyers on that, or ride the Barca bench for every penny I am owed over the next 4 years.

Teja

Because they just had 1.5b of debt wiped out because of reasons?
Debt doesn't matter for ffp I think? (Apart from interest service payments, which I don't think Chelsea had)

Basically you can only spend 3m more than you earn in a given season (+30m on top if owner injects that money into the club).

280m is way past that point even accounting for the fact that payments are spread out over multiple years.

OrcaFat

Since the idea of Neves as an alternative popped up, I don’t care about FDJ, as long as we get Neves that is. I think it was the idea of getting nobody that made FDJ seem so essential.

(I won’t be shocked if we suddenly confirm FDJ now that I’m not that fussed.)

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Since the idea of Neves as an alternative popped up, I don’t care about FDJ, as long as we get Neves that is. I think it was the idea of getting nobody that made FDJ seem so essential.

(I won’t be shocked if we suddenly confirm FDJ now that I’m not that fussed.)
Lucky you, since Neves popped up all am thinking is that de Jong is an absolute must.

Status
Not open for further replies.