Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
If this deal happens I'll be tempted to go on a huge witch hunt of all the doubters.

They will rue the day they chose the wrong side of a speculative Internet transfer thread.... mua ha ha ha ha. :devil:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Come on now muppets, believe

I mean, what's more likely:
A) the issue is economic in nature and you're prepared to wait it out until he gets his big payoff from Barcelona before joining

Or

B) a multi-billion pounds entity, one of the biggest sports clubs in the world, spent almost an entire transfer window - 3 months and counting by this point i believe - chasing a guy who had ZERO interest in signing for then?!?!?

Be realistic. This is on
When is Mbappé's debut?

theklr

The reason I don't think this is happening is because every credible source, including Mitten, thinks that Chelsea are going to get FdJ.
Mitten has been very ambiguous on this, he wrote FDJ told two people he wanted Chelsea but in the same article said United still feels in the race, and in a podcast after this said he was more optimistic about him coming than he ever was .

Ornstein hasnt said anything concrete except CL isnt the only factor in his decision, and Fabrizio hasnt said anything at all about this.

So you are just wrong here .

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Is FdJ guaranteed game time till the WC? If he stays will Xavi be permitted to bench such a high earner for the entire season? What if Barca start poorly?

city-puma

No worries, I know it's OK. Next time if you think logic is flawed you need to actually point out what you disagree with and why.
The flaw is obvious. Basically your implied assumption is beyond even little reasonable. Even assuming the people working on this have average iQ and EQ in the whole population, they will know it’s non sense to pursue him if he doesn’t want to come, exactly as what you think why it does not make sense (and therefore you think they are stupid).
The reality is those people are definitely with higher IQ and EQ than average. If you don’t reason based on this more reasonable assumption, you of course produce the ridiculous conclusion as you have said. The poorest is that you could not spot the flaw and do not understand yourself.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mitten has been very ambiguous on this, he wrote FDJ told two people he wanted Chelsea but in the same article said United still feels in the race, and in a podcast after this said he was more optimistic about him coming than he ever was .

Ornstein hasnt said anything concrete except CL isnt the only factor in his decision, and Fabrizio hasnt said anything at all about this.

So you are just wrong here .
Matt Law said Chelsea believe they will have preference their way.
Rob Dawson gave credence to persistent rumours he wants Chelsea.
Mitten said last week he had two sources that confirmed he would prefer Chelsea. I dont know how this is ambiguous.
Telegraph said United resigned to the fact that Frenkie doesnt want him.

There is absolutely no insinuation from anyone that Frenkie would prefer United over Chelsea.

crossy1686

career ending
Andy Mittens said he was more confident than last week so it's clearly still on.
Those who missed it, Mitten said he’s more confident this week because he’s been told that Barcelona have to sell him (by Barca sources) because they need the money, so as it currently stands he’s almost certainly leaving. He also said De Jong has told at least 2 people that he would prefer London over Manchester but Chelsea haven’t made a bid and United are there only club that have made a bid, spoke to the player/agent, played nice with Barca along the way.

He said the only thing that needs to be done now is to get in a room with De Jong and his agent and sell him the move.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The flaw is obvious. Basically your implied assumption is beyond even little reasonable. Even assuming the people working on this have average iQ and EQ in the whole population, they will know it’s non sense to pursue him if he doesn’t want to come, exactly as what you think why it does not make sense (and therefore you think they are stupid).
The reality is those people are definitely with higher IQ and EQ than average. If you don’t reason based on this more reasonable assumption, you of course produce the ridiculous conclusion as you have said. The poorest is that you could not spot the flaw and do not understand yourself.
I understand what I am saying, and the crux of your point is, no one can actually be that stupid to push for Frenkie for 80+ days if they didn't get encouragement he'd join. Perhaps there is credence to this.

But just look at the landscape as it is, and consider whether anyone with above average IQ and EQ would be capable of constantly panicking at the end of windows. I genuinely think decision makers from a transfer perspective, have lower IQs in that specific landscape. They may well be in the top percentile in other facets (which is why they are where they are) but right now we have been incompetent in the window even when parking Frenkie aside (RB /winger / Forward situations are casesin point). The past 8 windows have been poor. No money remains on our squad, they have all been sold.

So given the chronically poor transfer decisions over a span of 8-9 years, it's not unreasonable to assume our "transfer IQ" is below average. It is not unreasonable to suggest we have been following a blind alley. We've done this before.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Those who missed it, Mitten said he’s more confident this week because he’s been told that Barcelona have to sell him (by Barca sources) because they need the money, so as it currently stands he’s almost certainly leaving. He also said De Jong has told at least 2 people that he would prefer London over Manchester but Chelsea haven’t made a bid and United are there only club that have made a bid, spoke to the player/agent, played nice with Barca along the way.

He said the only thing that needs to be done now is to get in a room with De Jong and his agent and sell him then move.
Pretty much this.

Von Mistelroum

Mitten said last week he had two sources that confirmed he would prefer Chelsea. I dont know how this is ambiguous.

There is absolutely no insinuation from anyone that Frenkie would prefer United over Chelsea.
There's also the fact that he would have to be a bit stupid to prefer us to Chelsea. We're in a huge crisis, have terrible players, are chasing terrible players and have the worst owners in the business.

Chelsea on the other hand, are clearly making moves to secure the future of their club as one which remains ahead of us for many years. Buying young players with promising futures, getting deals done and getting a proper DoF in place.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly hasn’t personally flown down to Barcelona multiple times to discuss selling [Irrelevant point]. You can do that in London.

The second De Jong says “I’m willing to leave Barca and come to Chelsea” we will officially submit the bid I’m sure we’ve already discussed. That is technically the right way to do it anyway.

What amazes me is this was almost the singular focus of your window and it does not look like United ever had this green light. And I’m assuming the way they are scrambling, that Ten Hag gave them assurances they did. So there are a lot of questions to be asked there, outside of just maybe losing a player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There's also the fact that he would have to be a bit stupid to prefer us to Chelsea. We're in a huge crisis, have terrible players, are chasing terrible players and have the worst owners in the business.

Chelsea on the other hand, are clearly making moves to secure the future of their club as one which remains ahead of us for many years. Buying young players with promising futures, getting deals done and getting a proper DoF in place.
Oh yeah, that too.

I don't mean to pour cold water on an amazing transfer, but I don't enjoy the aggregator driven updates that quote mitten being more confident than he was whilst also ignoring 1) he was never confident to begin with and 2) he has independently verified from 2 sources that the player prefers Chelsea.

theklr

How is it not ambiguous when he wrote in same article that United felt they were still in the race? Then it is merely a question of which of Mittens Barcelona and United sources are best . Its not like United just guesses they are - they would know if it wasnt worth pursuing anymore.

And most of United sources on par with those Chelsea sources you mention says the same thing - United dont count themselves out of it.

Sir Hag de Ten

How about considering some facts instead of insinuations/ like Utd agreed a deal in principle

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Boehly hasn’t personally flown down to Barcelona multiple times to discuss selling [Irrelevant point]. You can do that in London.

The second De Jong says “I’m willing to leave Barca and come to Chelsea” we will officially submit the bid I’m sure we’ve already discussed. That is technically the right way to do it anyway.

What amazes me is this was almost the singular focus of your window and it does not look like United ever had this green light. And I’m assuming the way they are scrambling, that Ten Hag gave them assurances they did. So there are a lot of questions to be asked there, outside of just maybe losing a player.
Difference is, you have a good owner, Boehly knows how to run sports teams.

He wants to be successful. Boehly has done more in one transfer window than the Glazers have done in the last decade.

The Glazers run everything they own into the ground and take dividends. They don't care, their portfolio will continue to appreciate in value, the success on the field doesn't matter.

Champions League for them is just visibility and the payout so they want to meet that criteria. Winning the league I doubt they care too much.

If the Glazers listed the club there'll be offers, and I think they'll get at least $4bn for it.

Uniteds transfer windows won't change whilst they're the ones to sanction each transfer. Literally there needs to be a person who knows how to run a football club in charge and it won't happen.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How is it not ambiguous when he wrote in same article that United felt they were still in the race? Then it is merely a question of which of Mittens Barcelona and United sources are best . Its not like United just guesses they are - they would know if it wasnt worth pursuing anymore.

And most of United sources on par with those Chelsea sources you mention says the same thing - United dont count themselves out of it.
Correct me if wrong but in his podcast, Mitten just says United have had many meetings in Barcelona. He says 2 sources confirm he wants Chelsea.

He says someone from United needs to get in front of him to "convince him to come to Manchester".

So my point about him preferring Chelsea is not ambigious whatsoever. It's suggested by many reporters, Mitten included. Man Utd may not be out of the race in the strictest sense but it's not unreasonable to say this is far fetched.

city-puma

I understand what I am saying, and the crux of your point is, no one can actually be that stupid to push for Frenkie for 80+ days if they didn't get encouragement he'd join. Perhaps there is credence to this.

But just look at the landscape as it is, and consider whether anyone with above average IQ and EQ would be capable of constantly panicking at the end of windows. I genuinely think decision makers from a transfer perspective, have lower IQs in that specific landscape. They may well be in the top percentile in other facets (which is why they are where they are) but right now we have been incompetent in the window even when parking Frenkie aside (RB /winger / Forward situations are casesin point). The past 8 windows have been poor. No money remains on our squad, they have all been sold.

So given the chronically poor transfer decisions over a span of 8-9 years, it's not unreasonable to assume our "transfer IQ" is below average. It is not unreasonable to suggest we have been following a blind alley. We've done this before.
I don’t remember many panic transfers. Probably only Fellini and Mata could be categorized as that in some sense.
The problem is that we are talking about long pursue of FDJ here. Apparently it has nothing to do with panic behavior for that matter, right? Unless you are suggestingwe are in panic mode to pursue FDJ and to wait for two months. Spot the flaw here?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Some of you are going to look so daft when he signs and you doubted it
Think we'll take that egg on our faces all day. But when he doesn't sign some of you lot will just look worse

Tweek

If you read my posts that is not why I say this is not happening. That is actually the answer to why we pursued the deal despite it being so far fetched - because as a club we make really shit and idiotic decisions - like Ighalo and Cavani and the first Sancho saga and the Pogba deal and the Pogba renewal and all the other shit that went with it. We ran with this because we, rather naively, thought that if we push for Frenkie then when he's forced out he will come to us. It was assuming no other club would pay for him and that we would be able to rely on Ten Hag's relationship to attract him. Nothing else.

The reason I don't think this is happening is because every credible source, including Mitten, thinks that Chelsea are going to get FdJ.
It is of course opinion whether some of those decisions were perhaps borne out of necessity, whether some were questionable at the time but perhaps not so much in hindsight, and whether some are only really questionable after the fact. I am absolutely not saying we have done well transfer-wise over the past few years but whatever you think of the things we have done before, it is assuming a whole new level of naivety and incompetence to think that we are where we are in this window because we have been sitting staring at the phone, waiting for FDJ to return our calls and checking his instagram every day to see if he has posted any pictures of himself in training, telling ourselves we'll just give it one more week because he did look pretty sad just before their last game.

It is just unfathomable that a club the size of United, especially after the season we just had, would blindly chase a single player all summer like this.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don’t remember many panic transfers. Probably only Fellini and Mata could be categorized as that in some sense.
The problem is that we are talking about long pursue of FDJ here. Apparently it has nothing to do with panic behavior for that matter, right? Unless you are suggestingwe are in panic mode to pursue FDJ and to wait for two months. Spot the flaw here?
Mata flew in to the ground in a Helicopter, Falcao came on a private jet because Woodward wanted hollywood, what a great decade we've had since SAF

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You must be kidding? Falcao, Ighalo, the Arnautovic pursuit, deadline deal for Cavani etc etc.

The "problem" was your evaluation of my logic - which is actually on the premise that our club has incompetent people making transfer decisions. I'm saying their transfer IQ is average, or below average. You strongly disagree - which is odd.

Also if you look at the SMS transfer pursuit last minute, it points to panic, because we somewhat daftly put all our eggs in the FdJ basket.

crossy1686

career ending
Lads, a few things about Chelsea you’re over looking.

They haven’t made a bid.
They’re well stocked in midfield, De Jong isn’t guaranteed a starting position.
They’ve spent a tonne of cash already.
Chelsea are pissed off with Barcelona for hijacking Raphinna and Kounde, both of which promised Chelsea they would sign for them.
Barcelona are pissed off with Chelsea for blocking the transfers of their two fullbacks to Barca.

It doesn’t matter if De Jong prefers London if Barca don’t sell to them. We can all chip him and get him and his missus a season pass on the mega bus if needed.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca

Have been saying this all along, the reason this has/is taking so long is down to the player wanting CL football, it just so happens most of the CL clubs already have better midfielders/are stacked there. Chelsea would be a good move for him I think and surely it's close now.

Frenkie and his team used the 17mil deferred wages and Laporta went nuclear last night with the illegal contract situation, the result is most likely both parties drop this stupid game and part ways.

Loony BoB

DeJong in the title still, I see :rolleyes:
Between DMs with Sesko and name spelling with de Jong, I think it's safe to say that the Caf are the ones who have ruined everything. de Jong is just waiting for the title to get fixed, but Murtough says it's out of his hands :(

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
I think they were given some form of assurance but it was more like FdJ telling them that if he had to leave Barca, he would be open to joining Utd. And up until the last few weeks, no other team was in for de Jong so I think Utd allowed that as no-one else was in the hunt and as Barca had to sell, Frenkie would end up going to Utd.

Of course, I don't think "Open to joining" ever meant "First preference" so whenever Chelsea entered the hunt, the assurances that I'm allowing Frenkie gave to Utd became very weak very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.