Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

forevrared

Loads of red flags that we all seem happy to ignore here. Shades of Di Maria. At least in this case there’s a ready made spot in the team for him, but I can’t say I’ve seen enough of him to know he’ll be effective with the dross that’s likely to be next to him.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Loads of red flags that we all seem happy to ignore here. Shades of Di Maria. At least in this case there’s a ready made spot in the team for him, but I can’t say I’ve seen enough of him to know he’ll be effective with the dross that’s likely to be next to him.
Shades of Eto'o, Cambiasso and Sneijder to Inter, shades of Robben to Bayern, Ozil to Arsenal, Sanchez too etc. Players that didn't want to leave but left and had success elsewhere. Stop with this Di Maria negative nonsense please.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
If this doesn’t happen now it’s a massive L once again. Can’t go down this road and not get the player just looks so embarrassing and gets the new manager off to a horrible start.
Same way Madrid was with Mbappe?

ForeverRed1

Wouldn't a loan deal make sense? Barcelona gets his wages of their books and a decent fee for the loan, while De Jong doesn't have to commit his future to a club that is a bit shaky at the moment. Could include an option to buy as well.
he’s too good to be doing that. He could do well here and feck off back to Barcelona next season.

no thanks.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Such a daft comparison. Are you aware we hired his former manager where he played his best football? Nothing like Di Maria except he's happy to stay at Barca (which are many players who move in the end).

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
There is another thread for discussing signing players who are not thrilled at the prospect of joining the worst United team in PL history with absolutely shambles of management structure that has gone complete change with no idea whether it will work or not this time. Di Maria comparison is getting tiring now.

Ted Lasso

Most people seem to ignore the burglary. That must have instilled some serious hatred towards the city, an irreparable situation.

lsd

The Oracle
Would be as dumb a transfer as when we signed Di Maria and would have the exact same outcome

sparx99

The fee with De Jong is also tied up in the fact that there is so few players like him. Others have asked on this forum ‘who is he like? Or who is comparable?’ and honestly I can’t really think of a player who combines his passing with his dribbling skill who plays in central midfield. Modric maybe is the best comparison I could make and for £75m I’d take a 25yr old Modric.

marktan

The fee with De Jong is also tied up in the fact that there is so few players like him. Others have asked on this forum ‘who is he like? Or who is comparable?’ and honestly I can’t really think of a player who combines his passing with his dribbling skill who plays in central midfield. Modric maybe is the best comparison I could make and for £75m I’d take a 25yr old Modric.
You're not getting Modric though. He's closer to someone like Henderson.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
If we buy him for €90m euros, he will be the new Pogba.

An expensive flop that will not live up to expectations nor perform for us. Will not make a difference to our fortunes and the team we buy him from will win trophies/make UCL finals before us.

Bookmark it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I can't believe we still want him. Are we that desperate?

Well, perhaps we are....

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Well we don’t. We, like any other club, just look to get the players we want, and are one of the few who can afford the players we want even if they happen to be over £70m.
To think that Trevor Francis, the 1st million quid transfer star nearly broke the minds of so many football fans back then... . No one is worth that crazy amount of money etc! The sport is broken!

Rolaholic

Might be the first time I remember seeing a player that the selling clubs fanbase absolutely do not want to lose being underrated quite a bit by the fans of the potential buying club :lol:

Ten Hag would not make him a priority if he didn't believe in his ability to succeed at United

the_cliff

Personally think that we've got the ok from FDJ, so ETH has spoken to FDJ and now we're in negotiations.

But FDJ doesn't want to come.

Makes no sense.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Might as well say it at this point: Frenkie, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Though if you would find it in your heart of hearts to give us a chance and deliver a title or two, I would be most thrilled to worship the ground you step on.

Teja

Personally think that we've got the ok from FDJ, so ETH has spoken to FDJ and now we're in negotiations.

But FDJ doesn't want to come.

Makes no sense.
It's not that complicated, he probably said he'll move if Barca accept the offer and ask him to move.

We're just haggling on price at this point - we'll probably get it done around 75M (same as what Barca paid ajax)

HookedOnAPhelan

I do think there’s an obvious difference to the Di Maria transfer. I could be wrong about this of course, but Frenkie doesn’t seem like a rat faced cnut to me.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
FDJ must be thinking about it otherwise we wouldn’t still be negotiating a price. Or maybe we’re just not giving up and ETH is trying everything he can to persuade him to join us. Either way it best get dealt with soon, can’t afford to be dragging out transfers in our biggest rebuild yet.

Teja

Might be the first time I remember seeing a player that the selling clubs fanbase absolutely do not want to lose being underrated quite a bit by the fans of the potential buying club :lol:

Ten Hag would not make him a priority if he didn't believe in his ability to succeed at United
Yep it's as close to a certain hit as you'd get with football transfers. ETH has a system and a position in mind for FdJ. FDJ played that exact role before to a very high standard.

The only way I see this flopping is if the PL does have some mystical secret sauce that makes it significantly different to La Liga. Don't really believe that this is the case.

sparx99

You're not getting Modric though. He's closer to someone like Henderson.
Beyond the obvious stylistic differences and De Jong being a more technically gifted player; Modric only moved to Madrid at 26 years old. So it's very possible De Jong has 10 years of high quality football ahead of him and at a level he hasn't yet reached. He's certainly ahead of where Modric was at the same age.

Paranoid Android

Beyond the obvious stylistic differences and De Jong being a more technically gifted player; Modric only moved to Madrid at 26 years old. So it's very possible De Jong has 10 years of high quality football ahead of him and at a level he hasn't yet reached. He's certainly ahead of where Modric was at the same age.
I'd disagree with that. Modric was amazing for Spurs in the 10-11 season. Playing with worse players than FDJ currently is.

LoneStar

If this doesn’t happen now it’s a massive L once again. Can’t go down this road and not get the player just looks so embarrassing and gets the new manager off to a horrible start.
So if he doesn't want to come at all, should we hold him at gunpoint and make him sign for us?

Not trying for good players is a massive L. Nothing we can do if he doesn't want to come. Still doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

DanClancy

I'm sure its been mentioned on here already but where are Barca up to financially?

Would they still have to sell players even if they didn't buy anyone?

As for Coutinho have they given him a pay off, can't imagine Villa are paying him anywhere near what he was earning at Barca.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yep it's as close to a certain hit as you'd get with football transfers. ETH has a system and a position in mind for FdJ. FDJ played that exact role before to a very high standard.

The only way I see this flopping is if the PL does have some mystical secret sauce that makes it significantly different to La Liga. Don't really believe that this is the case.
He hasn't really been a standout player in La Liga. His reputation is still largely built on his time at Ajax and in particular his last year. If you're going to attempt to rediscover that level of play, there's nobody better to be coaching him than Ten Hag. But I don't think its right to suggest that he has proven himself at a higher level at Barca and so it just needs to translate from La Liga to the PL. If United got the same up and down performance from him as he has shown for Barca, it would 100% be a disappointing transfer given the price.

Nothing would really surprise me. I can see him killing it at United and being a centerpiece of the team for 6-7 years, I can also see him flopping hard.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Would they still have to sell players even if they didn't buy anyone?
Correct. According to Sique Rodríguez, they'd be unable to even register Sergi Roberto after awarding him his new contract let alone registering both Kessié and Christensen. The CVC deal should help out with that, somewhat, but they'll still need to move on some of their players in order to further strengthen their side.

TsuWave

He’s not coming. Barcelona doing crowdfunding initiatives to keep the lights on. It’s over. A few more gofundmes and they will be able to keep him

DickDastardly

It's a done deal.

This new Manchester United works in the shadows.

Getting rid of Pogba and Lingard with zero fecks....

We're doing it old school.
Fergie style.

Bring them all together for a photo shoot.
Frenkie, Darwin and Timber all behind Erik with stupid grins on their faces holding dumbass scarves.

croadyman

Think we should move on if he is not interested. We need the RIGHT players who want to play for the badge.
Yeah what more does Erik think he can say to convince him that no UCL but an exciting project will change his mind

diarm

He’s not coming. Barcelona doing crowdfunding initiatives to keep the lights on. It’s over. A few more gofundmes and they will be able to keep him

How many players are they expecting to let play on the pitch?

If they play 24 60 minute games back to back on both dates, at €300 a head, that is what - a littler over €600k?

Hardly enough to help them out the hole they're in. They'd need to hold these fan games all summer long.

the_cliff

How many players are they expecting to let play on the pitch?

If they play 24 60 minute games back to back on both dates, at €300 a head, that is what - a littler over €600k?

Hardly enough to help them out the hole they're in. They'd need to hold these fan games all summer long.
Soon they'll be running a power league.

Status
Not open for further replies.