Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeGea’sFeet

The Di Maria comparison is silly. De Jong is coming to United to play for his ex manager that he has a lot of admiration for and the manager that knows how to get the best out of him. Di Maria was playing for a manager that didn't have a clue on how to use him.
Yeah a player leaving a club that he didn’t want to leave and joining a club that he didn’t want to join had absolutely no part in that going the way it did. Was purely on LVG.

Just one point… it’s strange that everything from FDJ has been negative about joining United… you’d think he’d at least say something nice about the manager.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I never said anything about our desire. Robben also was forced out and went on to crush it at Bayern, but you didn’t address that at all. Its the exact same scenario with a completely different result.
Don’t bother giving the umpteen situations where players have moved on without 100% conviction and then had great careers at their new destination.

All you’ll get from the bores is ‘but Di Maria’

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Obviously the Hag has convinced his old prodigy de Jong to come here, but we won’t know more till after the current round of international matches has finished. I would expect signing Frenkie would also lead to a catalyst for one or two more signings. Top player is Frenkie, oozes class and ETH will know how to use him and get the best out of him. Let’s hope United and Barca can come to an agreement.

Infestissumam

Yeah a player leaving a club that he didn’t want to leave and joining a club that he didn’t want to join had absolutely no part in that going the way it did. Was purely on LVG.
it really doesn't matter, Frenkie De Jong is not Angel di Maria. Plus plenty of other player have begrudgingly left Real or Barca and were absolute quality for their next club (Robben, Sneijder, Alexis, Özil etc). The "yeah but di Maria" reflex is understandable as a United fan, but the mere fact that Frenkie would work with his former manager again makes me more than comfortable in this case.

DeGea’sFeet

Don’t bother giving the umpteen situations where players have moved on without 100% conviction and then had great careers at their new destination.

All you’ll get from the bores is ‘but Di Maria’
We are not Bayern and can’t afford another signing to not work. Robben didn’t want to leave RM but it’s not as if he didn’t want to join Bayern.
Di Maria preferred to stay at RM and if he had to leave he wanted to go PSG.

He actually started great, but then got robbed and started properly hating the manager.
It really was mainly on LVG.

I mean, ADM fecking said it himself man :lol:

"I only stayed for one year," Di Maria said. It was not the best time of my career, or rather I was not allowed to spend my best time there. There were complications with the coach at the time. But thank God, I was able to come to PSG and demonstrate again who I was."

Pearl.Jam

Nope, it only takes a few moments to see various reports on this subject.

Why are there so many gullible people on here?

United claim a new bigging, doing things different, so first things they do is puruse a player who's heart isn't set on playing for us.

Sir Alex, signed and pursued players who wanted to play for us, that showed on the pitch, the players were desperate and hungry to win.

All we do is force players to sign by offering stupid wages and they just go through the motions.

I'd rather we pursue hungry players who want to play for us and give them a year or two to establish themselves.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but history is on my side.
Using my last post to inform you that you sir, are a goofball…goodnight

bosskeano

It would just be nice to have a fuking midfielder on the pitch that you can give the ball to without fear of him losing the ball more often than he completes a pass

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Just one point… it’s strange that everything from FDJ has been negative about joining United… you’d think he’d at least say something nice about the manager.
As @Regulus Arcturus Black pointed out, Di Maria said it himself that he had issues with van Gaal. Of course Di Maria and his family struggled to settle in Manchester too but it would've helped if he had a manager that knew how to get the best out of him and didn't piss about playing him as a striker.

All the reports coming out today say de Jong is open to joining United and he's excited to reunite with his old manager.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Look at the information at hand.

FDJ publicly says he loves Barcelona and doesn't want to play elsewhere.

Barcelona need to raise £430m ASAP

Barcelona tell FDJ he has to leave

No other club is interested in him aside from United.

He reluctantly agrees to consider United because of ETH.

Sounds great!
Just because it happened to Di Mario, doesn't mean it will end that way for every footballer.

Especially going back to his old boss Ten Hago, there is some affiliation there, so I'd fully expect him to put a shift in.
I'm really hoping we get Frenko De Jongo personally

Big Edit :lol: I got you confused with @Champ

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Frenkie is a very modest down to earth humble type, he will be thrilled if he were to play for us or he wouldn’t come. That’s the type of character de Jong is.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If we pull this off it's 100% the ETH factor. We'd never had a chance without him (tbh if not for ETH I doubt he'd of even been a target)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
At this rate I hope we scrap the deal and re-sign Di Maria just so the moaners can shut the feck up.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
My guess on all this is that Ten Hag has remained in touch with the player since Frenkie left Ajax and was aware that FDJ had been told by Barca he may have to be sold to balance the books. Then when Ten Hag got the United job he passed this info onto United as de Jong is a player he'd like to work with again.

This is only even possible because of Ten Hag having a good relationship with the player IMO, otherwise he'd be going elsewhere.

charlenefan

Its Manchester United ffs, one of the biggest clubs in the World and never underestimate that.
Cling that if it makes you feel better about things, I'm realistic about how little pull the club has now though

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I feel like some people are willfully ignorant, or perhaps blissfully so, about this. The current political climate is such that even allegations are enough to make sponsors wary. To say nothing of pending investigations.

This is doubly so for us, I imagine. We already have a mess with Greenwood on our hands and who knows how or when that will be resolved. I can guarantee Bissouma's name is an absolute non-starter in the scouting room.
It’s not ignorance at all. It’s the reality of the situation as it is, and not as it isn’t. It’s typical of this tabloid society to just sweep it all into one and say it’s the same situation as Greenwood, but in legal terms it is enormously different.

And I don’t get all this talk about ‘the sponsors’, seems this is the new caf one for the moment. No sponsors would do anything if Bissouma joined us. They would if he were convicted, or even charged of something. Athletes face sexual allegations all the time, unfortunately. Sponsors don’t move on serious things like this without a charge or in Greenwood’s case, what appears to be overwhelming evidence. If Bissouma actually gave a shit about what people on the caf said, he’d probably have taken legal action against Geebs himself by now by his constant declaration of us going through the ‘same thing’ with Greenwood. Bissouma was initially bailed, and the bail has been lifted. They reserved the right to keep him on bail if they felt there was enough, just as they have done with the other party he was arrested with. But he’s been released from bail. As I’ve said a few times, ‘under investigation’ is a fairly meaningless status in and of itself, it basically means, as a base, that Police can ask you more questions if they see fit.

We keep taking about PR and sponsors and the like - Bissouma has continued playing all season with zero pressure from any sponsors or PR departments, and travelled freely without any concern from the Police. This classification of him as someone who needs to legally clear his name of anything is simply false, premature, and as I said - possibly libellous if he gave a shit about what we think. He could remain ‘under investigation’ for years, there is no time limit by law, and as someone who is familiar with the status - I know it is something the Police do wilfully and without a requirement of any strong suspicion of anything.

Of course, if he had been a genuine suspect, my tune would be different of course, but I’m not having this ‘well, there was an allegation once, that’s bad press, forget him’ - it’s not the sort of society I encourage or want men to live in. And speaking of ‘current political climate’, I disagree. If anything, following Amber Heard’s false allegations, the climate should be more cautious than anything, especially when the ‘case’ against Bissouma appears significantly more flimsy than Greenwood. They shouldn’t simply and lazily be looked at as ‘the same’.

Bojan Djordjic

You don't think we could get higher than 6th without a massive overhaul?
Even though presumably we'll actually have a manager with half a clue?
He won't be missed by many but the team has lost a lot of creativity following Pogba's departure. Regardless of what you think of the players that have left, we will be in a worse position competitively until they are replaced.

::sonny::

They are already in big financial trouble asking again to busquets and the others a wage cut

Red00012

A bid rejected , it’s been a while :D I don’t think Woody ever had a bid rejected when negotiating as he was usually overvaluing the player in question.

charlenefan

Barca can't seriously be signing all these players they're being linked with? I know Kessie and Christensen are frees but they also want Azpilicueta (another free), Alonso, Lewandowski and now Bernardo and don't they want Di Maria on a free as well?

izec

Its Manchester United ffs, one of the biggest clubs in the World and never underestimate that.
Yes, but without CL and a bad season, i doubt we would stand a chance without ETH. We are a sleeping giant, but a players career is short. We dont have forever to get our shit together.

Infestissumam

Barca can't seriously be signing all these players they're being linked with? I know Kessie and Christensen are frees but they also want Azpilicueta (another free), Alonso, Lewandowski and now Bernardo and don't they want Di Maria on a free as well?
Raphinha too. I don't understand their strategy at all ... for a club in apparent financial disarray and in need of some serious rebuild (both on the pitch and financially), it's a weird approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.