Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergie 7ime

Bottom 10 percentile for midfielders in terms of pressures, interceptions and tackles. He’ll fit right in here :lol:
Not sure what these stats are, but he’s been lauded by the barca dressing room for his work rate since he joined. And works his socks off for the national team also. So yes I agree that he would fit right in here. A player with that kind of mentality is exactly what we need right now.

L1nk

He didn't mind at first actually, ultimately he preferred to stay at Madrid, but once he knew they didn't want him he was more than happy to come here.
https://talksport.com/football/936690/angel-di-maria-man-utd-no-7-cristiano-ronaldo/

https://www.skysports.com/football/...its-he-never-wanted-to-join-manchester-united

https://www.sportbible.com/football...much-he-hated-playing-for-man-united-20200420

I could post more articles, it's absolutely not true that he was more than happy to come here

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Would be a dream signing but is everyone just ignoring this tweet?
It's because the tweet misses out the end of Jordi's sentence. After he says "we're not going to sell Frenkie..." he goes on to say "..to anyone except my boys at United, and I'll make sure they get a good deal. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Glory, glory."

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's because the tweet misses out the end of Jordi's sentence. After he says "we're not going to sell Frenkie..." he goes on to say "..to anyone except my boys at United, and I'll make sure they get a good deal. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Glory, glory."
:drool:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
A lot of things stated after the fact. He obviously did not have a good time here and didn't get on with the manager.
However he had a few choices of clubs to join when he left Madrid and he chose United, he could have chosen PSG.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What ever happened afterwards isn’t that relevant, nor is the fact that United was not his first choice to come to. He is a professional, which is what matters. At the point of signing for us, he obviously wanted to, to some degree, and we didn’t force him.

izec

What people say in interviews and how they really feel, are 2 different things. He could already play with the thought of trying something new if the club is happy to sell him. Maybe he will wait another season to see if things improve and then decide, but what players say is mostly irrelevant, things change quickly and they keep it to themselves until signed.

I remember Özil at an adidas event saying a week or two before his move to Arsenal that he would stay 100% at Real Madrid.

L1nk

A lot of things stated after the fact. He obviously did not have a good time here and didn't get on with the manager.
However he had a few choices of clubs to join when he left Madrid and he chose United, he could have chosen PSG.
What ever happened afterwards isn’t that relevant, nor is the fact that United was not his first choice to come to. He is a professional, which is what matters. At the point of signing for us, he obviously wanted to, to some degree, and we didn’t force him.
But the point is, this is the kind of risk you take when you sign players who love and do not want to leave the club they are currently at, i'd love us to get Frenkie but would it really be worth the risk. I'd love to be proved wrong of course.

Fergie 7ime

You all can save some time discussing this. Frenkie is not coming to Manchester. First of all, the dutch have some kind of love relationship with Barca. And in this case they also love him. Then you have his girl, who also loves the life in Barcelona. And on top of that, I also know he’s a ‘nice weather’ nancy. Oh yeah, and then there is Conference league, instead of champions league. That is kind of a big deal for these guys.

Just forget it :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But the point is, this is the kind of risk you take when you sign players who love and do not want to leave the club they are currently at, i'd love us to get Frenkie but would it really be worth the risk. I'd love to be proved wrong of course.
Ultimately, if he loves it at Barcelona so much and they love him back equally, then he simply won’t leave. If he does leave, then it’s clearly not a perfect romance. And football is a job. If Barcelona is the club he loves most, and they want him to leave, he’s not going to retire. He has to play somewhere. And I don’t see why he isn’t capable of doing his job well enough wherever that is. Our league is littered with players playing at clubs that they did not grow up supporting or dreaming to play for. This is all chat for the fans and not relevant to the real world. I’m sure if FDJ came here, he’d love United no less than I love my employers.

R'hllor

No, he couldnt

Bwuk

Frenkie - Tchouameni
Bruno

Garner - McTominay
VdB​

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why would he leave Barca for United???
Regardless of Cruyff's stance in public, Barca friendly media are the ones pushing this story.
In simple terms, they might see him as expendable. If Barca want him out, working with the coach that helped him produce his best football might not be a bad idea.

lenny_1248

We cannot afford his price tag, easy as it is.
They can afford Phillips for £50M, but not FDJ for £58M? Not so sure about that.
And wages won't be a problem either. Pogba out - FDJ in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I reckon as long as ETH is our manager, FDJ is going to be our Sneijder, linked with us every transfer window but nothing happen.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think our Rashford card does give us some leverage. Regardless of the caf perception, Rashford is held in very high esteem and I suspect all the top clubs would want him in a heartbeat. He’s an 80m+ player too, so the sort of swap that Barca could do without it looking like they have been screwed, and Frenkie is the sort of player we could sign without looking like we have been done either.

Barcelona in particular need forwards. They wanted Adeyemi but didn’t want to pay for him, and look to be losing Dembele (and possibly Memphis too).

SAFMUTD

I'm not worried about the 70M price tag but the 350K he's on.

We need to rebuild this club with hungry players on the rise, bringing De Jong will only continue with the big name strategy that hasn't worked at all for us.

I'm sure with Pogba leaving we can afford the wages, but we really want to continue with that path?

Smithy89

De Jong and a destroyer would be amazing business with a number 9. I'd still prefer a Neves or Bissouma though.

Blood Mage

Bottom 10 percentile for midfielders in terms of pressures, interceptions and tackles. He’ll fit right in here :lol:
Barca use him in a more attacking role to accommodate Busquets, Gavi and Pedri. Ten Hag would use him in his natural holding midfield role where he is more effective. The De Jong I saw at Ten Hag's Ajax was the closest player I've seen to a modern day Carrick.

Blood Mage

De Jong and a destroyer would be amazing business with a number 9. I'd still prefer a Neves or Bissouma though.
De Jong is a better player than Neves and Bissouma would fit right next to him in the pivot.

Cassidy

We need to rebuild this club with hungry players on the rise, bringing De Jong will only continue with the big name strategy that hasn't worked at all for us.

I'm sure with Pogba leaving we can afford the wages, but we really want to continue with that path?
No it will be bringing in a player who the manager knows and trusts in a key position. Its nothing to do with his name and everything to do with who Ten Hag wants.
Remember we are about to implement a completely new system of play

I'm not convinced it will happen but this transfer, in my opinion is really key if we want Ten Hag to get up and running as quick as possible, he would have 2 players in the heart of the midfield who know already exactly what he wants.

JuriM

They can afford Phillips for £50M, but not FDJ for £58M? Not so sure about that.
And wages won't be a problem either. Pogba out - FDJ in.
Frenkie is on Pogba esque wages already and I don't think he would accept anything less here. So potentially taking a huge sum of transfer money + another insane wages to carry also.

Cassidy

Frenkie is on Pogba esque wages already and I don't think he would accept anything less here. So potentially taking a huge sum of transfer money + another insane wages to carry also.
His wages certainly is an issue, but transfer fee I doubt it

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He earns way more than Pogba.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yea but so what? Why would you want to pay him less than Pogba? And okay, so we add a well-paid player to the squad. Are we not supposed to have those at Manchester United or something?

I don’t get this constant ‘he’ll ask for high wages’ argument with every transfer link. Are we supposed to be a club that doesn’t pay top bracket wages or something? Let’s be more concerned about whether the player is the right player or not. Pogba makes, after every possible bonus is paid, £290k per week by all accounts. About £160k basic. This is the rate. We are not talking about 600k or something.

Tarrou

I don’t think we’re gonna do this deal. Give ETH a year, UCL football and things looking promising and maybe..

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

De Jong is a young midfielder who will fit perfectly into ETH style of play, maybe he is not exactly same situation as Pogba, as Mourinho back then has no idea how to utilise him.

JuriM

He earns way more than Pogba.
Yea but so what? Why would you want to pay him less than Pogba? And okay, so we add a well-paid player to the squad. Are we not supposed to have those at Manchester United or something?

I don’t get this constant ‘he’ll ask for high wages’ argument with every transfer link. Are we supposed to be a club that doesn’t pay top bracket wages or something? Let’s be more concerned about whether the player is the right player or not. Pogba makes, after every possible bonus is paid, £290k per week by all accounts. About £160k basic. This is the rate. We are not talking about 600k or something.
Generally yeas, you are absolute right. Just at this rebuild phase I don't think we should go for these players whose agents are demanding those insane wages, if there is a chance to have a younger less proven highly rated player instead - if there isn't and it's a must buy both the manager and the other footballing structure in club thinks, then yea, we have to go for it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pogba is around 300k with Frenkie on about 350 no?
Pogba is supposed to be at 290k and De Jong at 350k. That's like 20% more which is a big difference, also if I'm not mistaken Barcelona deals don't include image rights which isn't the case for United.

Status
Not open for further replies.