Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Barcelona way is similar to Ajax way, I'm not really sure how that would mean deviating from Barca way. FDJ would fit in to replace Busquets by playing next to Kessie who is known with his high work rate and still good defensively. That's up to Xavi.
Yeah could be that Xavi intends to start FDJ + Kessie next season. But the change will have to come rather soon as FDJ is visibly irritated and has alluded to being played out of position in interviews for years now.

How reliable is this fellow?
His dad said couple of months ago they've been talking to clubs.
Look up Marca in the reddit tier list (OP transfer tweet thread). I think it's like Bild (so kinda shit, but not entirely made up 100% of the time).

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah could be that Xavi intends to start FDJ + Kessie next season. But the change will have to come rather soon as FDJ is visibly irritated and has alluded to being played out of position in interviews for years now.

His dad said couple of months ago they've been talking to clubs.
Look up Marca in the reddit tier list (OP transfer tweet thread). I think it's like Bild (so kinda shit, but not entirely made up 100% of the time).
Thanks!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
De Jong is a no go, not sure why people keep driving this pointless narrative.
Antony been tipped at 70-90m and we aren't even reported by anyone credible to even be interested.
Timber will be more than 40m and recently said he wants another year at Ajax.
There have been a number if reports, by very credible journos, that Ten Hag wants to take Antony with him to his next club long before ETH was even announced.

Yagami

Good post resistant
it's really hard for me to understand De Jong as a player, even with the fact that I actually love him as a player.

As a DM he hasn't reached a level playing for us that guarantees he can take over Busquet's role because everyone knows we need to start phasing him out, even when we were playing De Jong as a DM Koeman (coaching Netherlands) was bashing our coach for playing him out of position, yet you have people in this topic talking about how his best level lately has been as a DM for the national team.

When he played for Ajax I've read dozens of opinions but if I have to believe a bunch of them, I'd choose that Schone was almost the de-facto DM but in a way that Ajax played with 3 players that doubled as box to box and DMs, only that Schone was the worst one at creating and therefore he used to play deeper, still in some situations De Jong, being more athletic, reached defensive positions faster than him, something that somehow has been happening for Barcelona in some games.

And lastly there's CM De Jong and, honestly, for us I thing he's been at his best under that role, he makes good runs into the area, he knows how to free himself to provide support as the 2nd man in combinations and he basically becomes a total player covering attack, defense and even wings duties but, obviously, as a player that's all around the pitch he looks great when the team performs good, and awful when we are bad, since you can see him failing or disappearing in multiple tasks in a single game.

From a Barcelona perspective, I'd love to mold him into a DM player on a midfield with Pedri and Kessie (with Gavi eventually taking over Kessie's spot), but I'm not 100% sure he'l eventually fit that role,. And since we could start next season with too many quality/prospect players in midfield (Nico, Busquets, De Jong, Gavi, Kessie, Pedri and potentially Pablo Torre getting minutes in the first team) I wouldn't rule out selling Frenkie for the same price we paid for him, or even higher, as a good piece of business, otherwise we lack either losing some of our youngest players or losing money on him if he eventually starts playing less.
Can't disagree with any of that! Interesting to see that, during his time with you, you've preferred him in a more advanced cm role. Honestly, though, I think if he were to be given a run of games as the 6, he'd make it his own, but Busquets is still undroppable so, even if he were to start in that position, one bad game and I think it'd be back to Busquets.
For those saying three quality signings would be enough for progress.......Varane, Sancho, Ronaldo.............all quality signings and still more holes than a darts board in our first eleven
You have to take other things into account. Firstly, we'd be addressing bigger problems than we did with those three signings (at the time) by not only bringing in a quality midfielder, but a player who's strong under pressure which is vital and something we don't have at the minute.

Then you have to consider that we're not bringing in players to just paper over cracks. We're now going to be bringing them in to fit into a clear and defined system ten Hag wants to play.

No he has struggled with it for France and Juve, it's just part of his limitations.
On what you are saying about De Jong it sounds like he plays similar to Pirlo when Pirlo played deep. He had 2 b2b midfielders with him to create a good balance.
Positionally, sure, but they're different as to how they were on the ball. Frenkie prefers a more calmer and slow build-up, opting to advance play with his dribbling, quick exchanges like 1-2s, or a Carrick-esque line breaking pass compared to how Pirlo, like Scholes, would get the ball off of his cb and ping a beauty.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This one wouldn't surprise me at all. To be honest, not seen much of him but when I did he reminded me of Dutch players of days gone by which is no bad thing

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What is a Fred type and a Kanté type? Because they're the same type of players, it's just that one is much, much better than the other. They're high octane players that run around non-stop trying to win the ball back and when they got it they can pass it forward/run forward with it but it's not their main task.

You make it sound like Kanté is some kind of Busquets.
Fred is a lot more attack minded than Kante. Kante is more of a box to box ball winner, his strengths still come with his defensive work still and he'd have the energy, positioning and the strength to cover next to FdJ. Fred is energetic and very good with his pressing but he's not a defensive midfielder. He's energetic with his pressing and tackles sure but he doesn't have the positional sense that Kante does and provides more on the ball generally.

I don't really think FdJ suits Busquets next to him either. Like others have mentioned, you need a stronger/more energetic type of defensive midfielder around him to also provide more discipline. Rice/Tchouameni/possibly even Kamara though to a lower level.

Hammondo

Can't disagree with any of that! Interesting to see that, during his time with you, you've preferred him in a more advanced cm role. Honestly, though, I think if he were to be given a run of games as the 6, he'd make it his own, but Busquets is still undroppable so, even if he were to start in that position, one bad game and I think it'd be back to Busquets.

You have to take other things into account. Firstly, we'd be addressing bigger problems than we did with those three signings (at the time) by not only bringing in a quality midfielder, but a player who's strong under pressure which is vital and something we don't have at the minute.

Then you have to consider that we're not bringing in players to just paper over cracks. We're now going to be bringing them in to fit into a clear and defined system ten Hag wants to play.

Positionally, sure, but they're different as to how they were on the ball. Frenkie prefers a more calmer and slow build-up, opting to advance play with his dribbling, quick exchanges like 1-2s, or a Carrick-esque line breaking pass compared to how Pirlo, like Scholes, would get the ball off of his cb and ping a beauty.
Pirlo played a slow calm buildup, mostly focusing on short passes which tends to be the more modern way of playing football. Pirlo was not like Scholes, he was more modern than that.

Mainoldo

Perfect move for him to be honest.

A manager he’s familiar with whilst stepping into a club who will make him the focal point of the midfield in his favoured position.

We would have to get his partner spot on however. Kamara on a free maybe.

A manager he’s familiar with whilst stepping into a club who will make him the focal point of the midfield in his favoured position.

I like your thinking, I also like the thought of two new energetic midfielders to replace Pogba and Matic who barely got above walking pace in the last 2 years.

Tarrou

aside from us being a disaster-class at the moment, yeah :lol:

Trex

De Jong would play a similar role to the one Matic plays in a double pivot, starting as the deeper among the duo but not keeping it simple playing sideways, backwards passes, he'll try to progress play with progressive passes and ball carries like we see with Matic but even better, he is more mobile, press resistant and less reliant on one foot, like Matic he is best suited to playing with a mobile partner Fred and Kante at Chelsea under Conte is the best option to play next to him.
De Jong under Ten Hag would be a dream signing.

Mainoldo

aside from us being a disaster-class at the moment, yeah :lol:
:lol: I know but the badge still holds weight. Barca could finish 6th in their league and they’d still pick off players above and Arsenal or Spurs.

Now I get he’s at Barca now but if the money is right for Barca I’m sure he’d take the move.

In Rainbows

Pirlo played a slow calm buildup, mostly focusing on short passes which tends to be the more modern way of playing football. Pirlo was not like Scholes, he was more modern than that.
I actually have it as the opposite. Pirlo was more of a creator at the back in his time with Juve. Scholes was more of a metronome, but obviously also pinged balls to the winger.

The Irish Connection

De Jong would play a similar role to the one Matic plays in a double pivot, starting as the deeper among the duo but not keeping it simple playing sideways, backwards passes, he'll try to progress play with progressive passes and ball carries like we see with Matic but even better, he is more mobile, press resistant and less reliant on one foot, like Matic he is best suited to playing with a mobile partner Fred and Kante at Chelsea under Conte is the best option to play next to him.
De Jong under Ten Hag would be a dream signing.
Exactly. De Jong is basically a young, better Matic.

Hammondo

I actually have it as the opposite. Pirlo was more of a creator at the back in his time with Juve. Scholes was more of a metronome, but obviously also pinged balls to the winger.
He literally had the nickname the Metronome.

SAFMUTD

You can't possibly believe De Bruyne is on any wage City report, surely?

Exactly.
Well it's not like sources quote De Bruyne earning 100K, it's 375K that's a lot. Like I said it wouldn't surprise me if City paid his players extra without reporting it. But people say this as if they were reporting small numbers, they don't. It just happens that we pay stupidly high wages.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Well it's not like sources quote De Bruyne earning 100K, it's 375K that's a lot. Like I said it wouldn't surprise me if City paid his players extra without reporting it. But people say this as if they were reporting small numbers, they don't. It just happens that we pay stupidly high wages.
I struggle to believe anyone would doubt De Bruyne is one of the top earners on the planet (and rightfully so), irrespective of what City post as his wage. They're simply not a barometer to measure wages or wage structure by because, well.. obvious reasons.

SAFMUTD

I struggle to believe anyone would doubt De Bruyne is one of the top earners on the planet (and rightfully so), irrespective of what City post as his wage. They're simply not a barometer to measure wages or wage structure by because, well.. obvious reasons.
Well he's one of the top 5 earners. Just behind Messi, Neymar, Cristiano, and Iniesta (who is still playing in Japan for some reason).

bosnian_red

Exactly. De Jong is basically a young, better Matic.
Uhhhh not sure how anyone can watch De Jong and see Matic. Matic was excellent defensively and a very good shield for the defence, while being good with the ball. De Jong is fantastic with the ball while being literally a 0 defensively during his time at Barcelona. He is literally among the bottom 10%/5%/1% in all defensive metrics on fbref. https://fbref.com/en/players/1bacc518/scout/365_euro/Frenkie-de-Jong-Scouting-Report

Take it how you want, team style and his role has an impact, but a Matic he most certainly is not. He's more like a Modrić-lite, but much less aggressive and worse defensively.

I'd love to get him of course. He's young and I think under Ten Hag can reach his potential and be the closest thing to Modrić around, but he for sure needs a defensive minded midfielder next to him.

bosnian_red

De Jong is a no go, not sure why people keep driving this pointless narrative.
Antony been tipped at 70-90m and we aren't even reported by anyone credible to even be interested.
Timber will be more than 40m and recently said he wants another year at Ajax.
Its a transfer that just makes sense tbh. Ten Hag link plus United side obviously needs someone like him in addition to a DM. United one of the few that could afford him. Barca still need money, signed Kessie on a free and their long term view is Pedri and Gavi anyway, both of who are quality players today as well. So they're okay with replacing De Jong as he hasn't hit the heights expected there and is seen as replaceable given their other options. From De Jongs POV, United would present a big club in the biggest league with his old manager who gave him his best form.

I don't think it happens this summer, could see it being a 2023 thing though. Just feels like one of those where they hold on to him 1 more year and we focus on a DM like Tchouameni hopefully, and then next year replace Fred in the starting 11 with Frenkie. Hopefully a year from now we'd be a more attractive option too.

Antony and Timber we are linked with because of Ten Hag of course, though as you said no idea if the player would push for a move or if Ajax would be willing to sell this summer. All 3 of those players seem more like a 2023 summer timeline for when their clubs would be more OK selling them, so it might not work out unless we spend big.

bosskeano

defensive stats poor or not....what he brings to the table with the ball and his ability to create far outweighs that concern

bosnian_red

defensive stats poor or not....what he brings to the table with the ball and his ability to create far outweighs that concern
What was said about Pogba ...
Regardless of CM, we need a DM. It's vital. I'd rather sign Tchouameni and no other CM rather than sign De Jong and no DM, because the first option would improve us a lot more even if Tchouameni isn't on De Jongs level yet as a player. I'd love to get De Jong, and think if we managed to sign both Tchouameni and de Jong that it would be almost a perfect partnership. But priority has to be that DM.

Loon

:lol:
I guess ten Hag can call him up and get a definitive answer and put a stop to any embarrassment.

The Irish Connection

Uhhhh not sure how anyone can watch De Jong and see Matic. Matic was excellent defensively and a very good shield for the defence, while being good with the ball. De Jong is fantastic with the ball while being literally a 0 defensively during his time at Barcelona. He is literally among the bottom 10%/5%/1% in all defensive metrics on fbref. https://fbref.com/en/players/1bacc518/scout/365_euro/Frenkie-de-Jong-Scouting-Report

Take it how you want, team style and his role has an impact, but a Matic he most certainly is not. He's more like a Modrić-lite, but much less aggressive and worse defensively.

I'd love to get him of course. He's young and I think under Ten Hag can reach his potential and be the closest thing to Modrić around, but he for sure needs a defensive minded midfielder next to him.
At Ajax he played deeper though. I mean he is like Matic in his on the ball style and the way he moves more than his defensive traits, though he was better in that department at Ajax.
De Jong is excellent at using that kind of hip swivel to run past players which Matic also does regularly. His style of passing is also similar.

bosnian_red

At Ajax he played deeper though. I mean he is like Matic in his on the ball style and the way he moves more than his defensive traits, though he was better in that department at Ajax.
De Jong is excellent at using that kind of hip swivel to run past players which Matic also does regularly. His style of passing is also similar.
Meh. I get much more Modrić vibes when I see De Jong, at least what he could be in the way he is on the ball. Though yeah Matic at his best is/was good at moving through the lines with the ball.

bosskeano

What was said about Pogba ...
Regardless of CM, we need a DM. It's vital. I'd rather sign Tchouameni and no other CM rather than sign De Jong and no DM, because the first option would improve us a lot more even if Tchouameni isn't on De Jongs level yet as a player. I'd love to get De Jong, and think if we managed to sign both Tchouameni and de Jong that it would be almost a perfect partnership. But priority has to be that DM.
Pogba doesn't put in any effort whatsoever and he's not really that impactful with the ball....De Jong actually is committed to playing and puts in a bit of effort plus he's much better with the ball

You're right though Tchouameni or a damn good DM should be the priority but it's finding one that can defend but also help start the attack

bosnian_red

Pogba doesn't put in any effort whatsoever and he's not really that impactful with the ball....De Jong actually is committed to playing and puts in a bit of effort plus he's much better with the ball

You're right though Tchouameni or a damn good DM should be the priority but it's finding one that can defend but also help start the attack
Funnily enough, Pogba's defensive stats over the past year beat De Jong's... Both are shite when it comes to defence, but Pogba has been .. less shite? Like I said though. With De Jong you'd expect Ten Hag to set him right from a defensive POV as he showed it for Ajax that he is at least decent in that aspect, and on the ball as you say, De Jong is just much more suited to playing deeper than Pogba is.

Trex

Meh. I get much more Modrić vibes when I see De Jong, at least what he could be in the way he is on the ball. Though yeah Matic at his best is/was good at moving through the lines with the ball.
Modric is more advanced player even playing as a 10 for his national team, Like Matic, De jong does some of his best work receiving the ball from the defenders and progressing it with his passing and carries/ Tempo setting, that's why the way he is used at barca isn't ideal because they expect him to be more decisive in the final third which he isn't, Bosquets presence means he isn't the first midfielder receiving the ball.
At Ajax he sometimes started at center back. He is more of a middle third player.

Status
Not open for further replies.