Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Call it what you want. But De Jong never was the 6 people here claim. Schone always was the deepest midfielder. Sure De Jong got more defensive responsibilities, but nowhere near where Schone played. Because De Jong also had the freedom to move up the field and "abandon" his position. So like i said here before, something between a 6 and an 8, with Schone being "the 6" .
Besides VDB wasn't the 10 and Ten Hag never claimed that either in that interview.
I think the key thing that people get confused about is assuming the "6" or the deepest midfielder has the most defensive responsibility. De Jong as a deep midfielder had someone maybe more advanced on paper or in possession to start off with De Jong picking it up deep, but he had the freedom to advance while as you say, Schone was the defensive stability guy. Its why Barca can't just replace Busquets with De Jong. They need a much more defensive #8 in that case and let De Jong be the playmaker.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Call it what you want. But De Jong never was the 6 people here claim. Schone always was the deepest midfielder. Sure De Jong got more defensive responsibilities, but nowhere near where Schone played. Because De Jong also had the freedom to move up the field and "abandon" his position. So like i said here before, something between a 6 and an 8, with Schone being "the 6" .
Besides VDB wasn't the 10 and Ten Hag never claimed that either in that interview.
He had the freedom to move forward, with the ball, and "abandon" his position, but he also had the task, defensively, of covering space in the back of Schöne

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The thread with all the suspicious sources to read and where muppets will die come deadline.

Always nice to have one.

Hughie77

Would be a dream buy like getting Verratti, however don't see them selling despite the rumoured debt. Think this is all just hot air sadly, if there was any truth Romano, Whitwell, Ducker would be talking it up.
Agree, I think it's pie in the sky as well. Utd as normal will be linked with every player on the planet from now till Window closes.

NoPace

I think the key thing that people get confused about is assuming the "6" or the deepest midfielder has the most defensive responsibility. De Jong as a deep midfielder had someone maybe more advanced on paper or in possession to start off with De Jong picking it up deep, but he had the freedom to advance while as you say, Schone was the defensive stability guy. Its why Barca can't just replace Busquets with De Jong. They need a much more defensive #8 in that case and let De Jong be the playmaker.
Yeah, it was sort of like when Kroos would sit in a midfield 2 for Germany and his partner (Khedira I recall the most) would have license to attack. Or Jorginho and Kante, really. Kante does 2 jobs, Jorginho does one.

Trex

Among all the midfield targets, he's the one who would have helped us play better from yesterday display.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
How reliable is this romano fella?
Enough to get on the hype train?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If they’re interested in Telles we should jump all over that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If they’re interested in Telles we should jump all over that.
I've seen tells links as far back as the last season, I think they might be interested due to dest not being all that for them.
But surely they won't poke tellea with a pole after his recent showings.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've seen tells links as far back as the last season, I think they might be interested due to dest not being all that for them.
But surely they won't poke tellea with a pole after his recent showings.
I think luckily for us it’s gone under the radar how shit he is. In relation to some of our other players he gets almost no flack from rivals or pundits.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think luckily for us it’s gone under the radar how shit he is. In relation to some of our other players he gets almost no flack from rivals or pundits.
Well at least Maguire being utter shit has been useful once.
But surely barca aren't that incompetent to not be aware of the disasters he makes every other week?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ok so I looked it up, apparently this Romero guy is pretty reliable, they have him in the second tier over there at the barca tier guide along with Romano.
The one bright sign that this might actually happen is the fact that a lot of these rumors are coming from Spain itself.

Robertd0803

Seems every time we get a new manager we have a daft transfer saga the same summer. This time its De Jong. Dont get me wrong I would love him here but just seems too good to be true.

Also Barca are certainly not looking at Maguire or McTominay. Rashford and Elanga I can understand but not Maguire or McTominay unless their scouts only watch internationals.

AdNani

Can't see it happening. But he would be our Thiago though if we could get him. Very few midfielders in the world as press resistant as him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The player doesn't want to leave and seems he will have to be forced out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Weren’t Barca interested in Pogba sometime back? If they could get Pogba in on a free maybe they might consider De Jong leaving. They also have Kessie coming in.
I don’t think that matters if they play their midfield like the following below:
Kessie FDJ Pedri

didz

Can't see it happening. But he would be our Thiago though if we could get him. Very few midfielders in the world as press resistant as him.
Some are seduced by it, some are flattened by it, but noone at Man United is resistant to the press.

Anyway, can't see it happening either.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
This is one of those that is only slightly more likely to happen than Liz Hurley offering herself to me sexually in the next 48 hours

Last edited:

Blood Mage

Imagine getting Tchouameni and De Jong in the summer, a dream midfield. We'll most likely get neither of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.