Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
When Barcelona activates the economic levers, they will be able to sign normally and register the players.

The sale of FDJ will be to finance other signings.
The amount between fixed and variable will be €85M+ probably.
Thing is, you have no idea if that first statement is true, because you have no idea what your salary cap will be.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeh if anything it seems to be the biggest sign that we're yet again not using our huge network of scouts. We are where we are. Hopefully they sign a few players before pre season gets going or it will be the same old excuses of new players not benefitting from a full preseason.
This is my optimism: We sign Frenkie soon. Given that we needed to convince him to join (quite understandably) we're signing at least 3-4 other players, as he would not join a club with so many holes to fill in order to be remotely competitive and capable of playing ETH's style.

I expect 4-5 new players. Hoping we see 4-5 more leave and some youngsters given genuine chances. We'll play 23 matches in 15 weeks and then there's the Boxing Day fixture and we're back in a transfer window. The recruitment team will have 6 weeks from middle of November to prepare properly for 1-2 January recruits.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
So why don't the club just pay the asking fee and move on? They're not comfortable overpaying at the moment whether they're trying to improve the image of the club/ Genuinely not caring about the team or squad on the field. That I don't know.

But what I do know is they've sold so many players and released so many over the past 3 seasons that money or the wage bill can't be an issue this summer with so little first team players in the squad.

I'd sign Neves if Barca are going to take us to the cleaners that's all. Neves would be ours for around £50m.
Barca are desperate to offload FDJ to finance their other signings like Kessie and facilitate new ones like Lewandowski and Bernardo Silva. They are trying to fleece us to pay for their own mistakes. Surely you wouldn’t condone United in doing so? Our club is taking the right approach. Be a bit more patient and less complainy

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Honestly, the more I look at what I can find on Barca's finances, I say feck em and don't sign him until until after 30th June.

The Irish Connection

For the value we put in the player, not because we can’t afford 11m more?
Then I suppose the question is why do we put that value on the player? Barcelona have been pretty firm on what they value him at and we are 11m short, for me, considering the season we have had, that extra bit would be worth paying to get him in early and to also get the ball rolling on the other signings needed.

George The Best

Then I suppose the question is why do we put that value on the player? Barcelona have been pretty firm on what they value him at and we are 11m short, for me, considering the season we have had, that extra bit would be worth paying to get him in early and to also get the ball rolling on the other signings needed.
Barca are pretty firm on the value because that’s what they need. We don’t need to bail them out for their gross mismanagement.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The worst part of this whole deal is that the man doesnt even want to come...
He's been well advised.

He will hardly say he's packing his bags until and unless the deal between the clubs is concluded. If the deal fails and said he wanted a move that would tarnish his reputation with the club and supporters.

The Irish Connection

Barca are pretty firm on the value because that’s what they need. We don’t need to bail them out for their gross mismanagement.
To be honest with you though, if we were in a strong position as a team, I would agree with haggling, but given the circumstances, an extra 10m is worth it for a player of his quality.
Liverpool are in a strong position, and I’m sure they could have dragged the Nunez transfer out until deadline day and saved 10 or 15m but they didn’t. Why is that?

MrSingh2002

Barca are desperate to offload FDJ to finance their other signings like Kessie and facilitate new ones like Lewandowski and Bernardo Silva. They are trying to fleece us to pay for their own mistakes. Surely you wouldn’t condone United in doing so? Our club is taking the right approach. Be a bit more patient and less complainy
Less complainy? I'm suggesting we don't give Barcelona the money and go and sign another player...

If we're being outnegotiated by a club with no money then you know where we are as an organisation. You may aswell pay up and take the player to build around.

You can't have it both ways. Either don't give them the money and sign someone else or pay up.

Why would it be in Uniteds interest to let the FIRST signing drag on which could affect the whole window. Over £10m or so?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This will be getting done very soon. Can’t see them risking the fans losing there minds and protesting again. Arnold said it is definitely getting done and he won’t lose out on anymore targets. Stay true to your word Richard Arnold!

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I don't think it's wrong that you keep pursuing the coach' absolute #1 target. However it does seem a little bit too obvious that De Jong is the absolute #1 target and Ten Hag only wants him. It does look like it has put Barcelona in a position that they won't give in. On the contrary, to me it sounds like they are even asking for more now. In the beginning of the saga it seemed like Barcelona were going to settle for a huge part of their initial investment (around €70m), however now there are rumours they want the full €86m they invested (although I don't think they have paid that full amount yet, as part of it were through bonuses - 75+11, for which I don't think all conditions are yet met).

To me it does sound like you've made it so obvious that FdJ is the #1 target and that you have no backups to go to, that Barcelona just feels like eventually you'll pay up anyway. I don't think it is wrong to fully focus on the managers absolute priority, but I do think United could have made it way less obvious to put more pressure on Barcelona (as it was also obvious that they need to sell).

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Even if magically, their salary cap this year covers their current wage bill (which I doubt), they have to add to it with their new signings who are currently waiting. No ones in a rush to buy players like Lenglet or Mingueza - who would hardly make a dent anyway, I think we just have to be patient.

De Jong isn't back off holiday for a bit anyway, there's no real benefit to concluding it earlier apart from Muppet appeasement.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think it's wrong that you keep pursuing the coach' absolute #1 target. However it does seem a little bit too obvious that De Jong is the absolute #1 target and Ten Hag only wants him. It does look like it has put Barcelona in a position that they won't give in. On the contrary, to me it sounds like they are even asking for more now. In the beginning of the saga it seemed like Barcelona were going to settle for a huge part of their initial investment (around €70m), however now there are rumours they want the full €86m they invested (although I don't think they have paid that full amount yet, as part of it were through bonuses - 75+11, for which I don't think all conditions are yet met).

To me it does sound like you've made it so obvious that FdJ is the #1 target and that you have no backups to go to, that Barcelona just feels like eventually you'll pay up anyway. I don't think it is wrong to fully focus on the managers absolute priority, but I do think United could have made it way less obvious to put more pressure on Barcelona (as it was also obvious that they need to sell).
In this case Man Utd simply has no alternative, so i don't know what they can do to make it less obvious.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We’re not walking away from this. There is 0% chance of that. Only thing that is stopping this transfer is; a) Barca finding a billion euro under their sofa b) someone high jacking the deal.

If we take that 15 million euros fee difference at face value, this fee, it can be wiped from our stock prices in the matter of minutes when the deal falls through, Richard Arnold gets memed all over the internet, fans storm his house and we look like fools again. And our stock isn’t looking all that great so who knows if we’ll ever get it back. Bottom line is - we can’t afford being incompetent after saying we’re working day and night on this.

Laurencio

This would be true if Barcelona were rich, but they aren't. Barca need the money, we know that, and they aren't able to start a bidding war for Frenkie. That means our offer is all they have. They can choose to accept that, or be unable to register their freebies. That is most likely why it is taking so long - we're all waiting for Barca to realise that this is as good as it gets.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
FDj would be an amazing signing for us. Having lost Pogba the gap between him and mcfred is Massive. I think FDJ bridges that gap but we still need a CDM to allow him to roam. Individually he’s world class.

Withnail

We’re not walking away from this. There is 0% chance of that. Only thing that is stopping this transfer is; a) Barca finding a billion euro under their sofa b) someone high jacking the deal.

If we take that 15 million euros fee difference at face value, this fee, it can be wiped from our stock prices in the matter of minutes when the deal falls through, Richard Arnold gets memed all over the internet, fans storm his house and we look like fools again. And our stock isn’t looking all that great so who knows if we’ll ever get it back. Bottom line is - we can’t afford being incompetent after saying we’re working day and night on this.
The stock price is pretty much the same as when they took over. They don't give two shits about that.

edcunited1878

The stock price is pretty much the same as when they took over. They don't give two shits about that.
People don't understand the point of dividends, in relation to the vast amount of stocks the ownership holds. And the stock value is only a small fraction of the total value of the club.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The question needs to ask is why Man utd can't do their transfer business like Liverpool, City, Bayern or Chelsea. Why it always drag on every summer for their main target? Come on Arsenal paid 70m for Pepe and probably need to write him off this summer.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
In this case Man Utd simply has no alternative, so i don't know what they can do to make it less obvious.
Transfermarket is also a game and bluff. Maybe journo's are used for it as well. United could have done more to create rumours that they were seriously pursuing other players (even if they don't) to get Barca to think that they might drop their interest on FdJ if the price is not right. Instead, from the get go it's been really clear that FdJ is United's priority and EtH wants no one else. Barcelona is in clear need to sell him in order to register new players, but instead of giving in it seems like they are increasing their price. It does seem like they are just too certain that United will eventually pay because there's no alternative route. It's not bad that United doesn't have real alternatives and that they really want to give the manager his #1 wish. I also think there's no other player like FdJ that matches his skillset. But United could have done more to let Barcelona think they could move on to other players I believe.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
This would be true if Barcelona were rich, but they aren't. Barca need the money, we know that, and they aren't able to start a bidding war for Frenkie. That means our offer is all they have. They can choose to accept that, or be unable to register their freebies. That is most likely why it is taking so long - we're all waiting for Barca to realise that this is as good as it gets.
You may be right and I thought so as well. I said a few days ago that both are playing bluff poker right now, waiting for the other to give in. But with the rumours now talking about Barcelona wanting to get the full 86m that they invested, that's another bold move by Barca. I did not expect that one and that does seem like Barca is convinced that United will pay anyway, more than they are afraid that United will pull out.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’m positively sure Glazers care. Holding the same value since the ipo nearly a decade ago isn’t a good thing considering stock went as high at 25$ a share. I’d wager; that’s all the Glazers care about. Of course I was just making a loose point about Arnold saying that we’re working day and night to secure De Jong. Walking away empty handed would just fuel the hysteria.

Mainoldo

edcunited1878

The question needs to ask is why Man utd can't do their transfer business like Liverpool, City, Bayern or Chelsea. Why it always drag on every summer for their main target?
Always? Sancho was a player who was tracked for over a year, United said no to Dortmund, and got a much better fee by waiting another year. He also joined on the back of a Euro Championship summer. Yet he signed on 23 July with the quick season restart date on August 13. Ronaldo was signed in a matter of days. Fred signed 1 July. Lukaku signed 10 July (season started 11 August).

For FdJ, Nations League just ended a week or so ago, and now the player is on holiday with players who had participated in internationals not reporting back to their clubs until at least July 1st. Barca is also desperately trying to figure out their La Liga FFP finances. But they know where they stand and they aren't finding any serious suitors to their deadwood. So they'll have to accept what they can get within reason for their only player who can be transferred with value. In addition, the current season contracts aren't expiring until June 30th. Pogba hasn't officially signed for Juventus because his contract is over at the end of the month.

Mainoldo

So that’s literally one month gone since the season finished. Out of 74 days between the last and new season 30 days are over which means 40% of the time is gone. In this one month, we have bought ZERO players and have sold ZERO players.

Meanwhile Liverpool have concluded their transfer business, City are up and running and competed probably the biggest signing of the summer. Spurs have completed half of their activity and Arsenal too have signed 3 new players whereas us now have 44 days left before the new season starts where we have to do our all transfer activity buying and selling.

Not only that our pre season starts in 5 days without any new players as it stands. But don’t worry, it’s only June and the transfer window has opened only a few weeks back.
I know!!! I’m bloody nervous.. It’s mad they give people so long to make transfers when really they should just make it a two week window. The majority of clubs only need that long anyway.

Kaushal

I know!!! I’m bloody nervous.. It’s mad they give people so long to make transfers when really they should just make it a two week window. The majority of clubs only need that long anyway.
You probably make the same jokes every summer. Cool guy.

Kaushal

Yep and every summer we sign players and we get giddy.

Maybe we will have a Moyes summer again and I can write new material.
Nah. You were fine in the moyes summer too and will be fine if it happens again. Your same material makes you cool. You are a cool guy.

Last edited:

UnitedFire

When is Frenkie back from holidays and which of our players are and aren't starting training next week?

EDIT: There was no need for that from me, sorry. As far as I'm aware the players who played Nations League have been given the first two weeks of pre-season off and even if we got FDJ in now he'd be given the same treatment.
Great two weeks off to sort out his new home.. either way crack on.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Thing is, you have no idea if that first statement is true, because you have no idea what your salary cap will be.
The moment Barcelona activates the economic levers, they will be able to sign normally.
This is what Javier Tebas said a few days ago: " They are working and I hope they do well because we don't like their situation. But if they make certain levers they will be able to make signings."

croadyman

Seems like FDJ is the center piece for Ten Hag's tactic so it is probably a bad idea to use FDJ as an example Man Utd will walk and not over pay for player.
Yeah 100% certain that Erik sees him as centre piece of this midfield rebuild badly needed

Status
Not open for further replies.