• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
He didn't say accepted
The exact wording was:

"A couple of bids have gone in from United, but that's bids to the club, that's not bids to the player. That's saying to the club, would you be accepting this amount of money? And the club saying 'yeah'."

I understood that as bids have been made, Barcelona have said yeah, we'll accept that and De Jong has said "hold on, you owe me some money and I'm going no where until I get it"

TheReligion

Abusive
Exactly this. I just don't know why people are angry at the club. We just cannot pay whatever they ask. If it takes patience, then be it. If Chelsea are interested and if he wants to go there, so be it. That's how transfers work.

I'm quite sure we have a backup and we will sign a midfielder before end of August. All we can do is relax and be patient.
I think the signing of Eriksen is key and strengthens our hand. We can look at different options to play with him given his versatility. A destroyer and move him higher or someone similar to FDJ (DLP) and go with plan A.

Having that deal done is important.

Suv666

Yeah pre-season definitely not happening. Tbf the player isn't too keen anyway if he's jetting to pre-season with Barca.

Seems like both Barca and FDJ don't mind dragging this.

I don't get it the club literally are withholding his pay and he still wants to stay. How obsessed is he with Barca?
Anyone else would have been livid.

RedDevil@84

I understood that as bids have been made, Barcelona have said yeah, we'll accept that and De Jong has said "hold on, you owe me some money and I'm going no where until I get it"
Does his contract say you forfeit your pending salary if you leave the club?

crossy1686

career ending
Surely Barca won't let it drag on until the end of the window, they need the money and to free up wages to sign/register players
Well that's the issue. They can't register Christensen or Kessie until they offload some wages or convince players to take a pay cut. So they have to force De Jong out if this transfer is going to happen.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The exact wording was:

"A couple of bids have gone in from United, but that's bids to the club, that's not bids to the player. That's saying to the club, would you be accepting this amount of money? And the club saying 'yeah'."

My interpretation of it all is still that they agreed on an outline of how much Barca wants and we have made two bids but they are not happy with the structure of them still.

SATA

You forgetting that he needs to take a massive wage cut on a new contract to stay at Barca?
He doesn’t need to really. He could just stand on his original contract and there’s nothing Barca can do about it. If they can’t pay him, i imagine Frenkie will hire lawyers to take them to court? But then we read everyday that he loves the club so much that he’ll probably play for free for them for the rest of his contract

Blood Mage

Yeah pre-season definitely not happening. Tbf the player isn't too keen anyway if he's jetting to pre-season with Barca.

Seems like both Barca and FDJ don't mind dragging this.

I don't get it the club literally are withholding his pay and he still wants to stay. How obsessed is he with Barca?
They're his dream club in the same way Madrid was Ronaldo's dream club. Plus he has a great relationship with Xavi who is also one of his idols.

crossy1686

career ending
Does his contract say you forfeit your pending salary if you leave the club?
Nah, from what I understand, he's told Barcelona that if they want to sell him to United, he wants the deferred wages they owe him. Barca have then told United that they'll accept the bid for the player but United will also have to pay him the deferred wages Barcelona owe him, to which United have said "no chance" that's your agreement with your player and nothing to do with us.

So United haven't actually opened talks with De Jong yet because Barcelona are holding everyone over a barrel with the deferred wages issue, but a 'sale price' has been agreed.

red thru&thru

If Chelsea are in for him, then that's fine. We get to really see where FdJ wants to play.

End of the day, we have offered a very good package to Barca. Now up to FdJ and Barca to sort out between them.

Suv666

This one is complicated as feck and the club don't deserve stick on it.
Yeah of course its not the clubs fault.
But sometimes you've got to admit despite your best efforts its not going to happen.

Its not the clubs fault right now but if we go into the season without a mid then it would be

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just listened to Mittens bit on the Athletic podcast. He says De Jong would likely join Barca in their tour and this saga wil "go on and on".

Whitwell went on to compare this to Sneijder and Gaitan, saying he wouldn't be surprised if it goes to the end of the transfer window.

crossy1686

career ending
Frenkie isn’t coming. Not going to happen fellas. He wants CL football and he wants to get paid. He achieves that by staying at Barca.

‘What we should do:
- Tell Barca we’ve made our offer, it won’t change. If they want to drown in their own financial quagmire, that’s on them.
- complete the deal for Martinez
- Inquire on Tielemans. If he’s available for 40m, he’s a decent stopgap.
- If ETH doesn’t fancy any other players in FDJ’s place, save our money.
- Look to January window, or, better yet, wait and come in for a huge deal for Bellingham in summer of 2023.

Hopefully ETH can patch something together in The midfield with the combination of McFred, DVB, Garner and Mejbri and we can pip top 4, putting us back in the game.
I think all these points mentioned are what we actually are doing.

Aretak

You can hate the upper management and still love the institution. It's a situation that I'm sure a lot of United fans have found themselves in under the Glazers. Some buggered off to support FC United or some other club, but the vast majority stayed, because the club is bigger than the people currently running it.

If it was his lifelong dream to play for Barcelona, he's still going to get to do that, play at the highest levels of the sport and he'll get his money from them too in the end. I don't think it's that difficult to see why he wouldn't really mind staying.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's ridiculous that there's a big possibility we're going into the new season with worse midfield options than we've had the last 3 seasons.
I don't think United are to mainly to blame for this tbh. We've clearly identified De Jong and it's unreasonable for United to be expected to pay up the money that Barcelona owe him.

If there's any blame on United, it's the fact that the people at the club can't identify a second choice in case the De Jong chase goes tits up.

Here's hoping Garner or Hannibal can step up next season. I'm beginning to be fine with us losing out on De Jong. Excellent player but ultimately he's a Barcelona player. They can keep him if they want and lose out on the money we're willing to pay for him.

romufc

Well that's the issue. They can't register Christensen or Kessie until they offload some wages or convince players to take a pay cut. So they have to force De Jong out if this transfer is going to happen.
Barcelona are actually playing a blinder here. They have got their free transfers in, they can train and play in pre season but can't be registered for La Liga.

They dont need to register until before the season starts anyway, so they dont need to force the De Jong deal until United tire out and pay the money.

United on the other hand, are just say there like clowns waiting for Barca. We don't even know if Barca accept, De Jong will come or not.

There is 2 factors to this too, he wouldn't leave without being paid his money owed and he doesnt want to join a EL club.

crossy1686

career ending
Just listened to Mittens bit on the Athletic podcast. He says De Jong would likely join Barca in their tour and this saga wil "go on and on".

Whitwell went on to compare this to Sneijder and Gaitan, saying he wouldn't be surprised if it goes to the end of the transfer window.
Yep, I think it rumbles on all summer. Maybe even past that into January.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Yeah, and the whole team essentially suggested that fans are driving the whole noise around the transfer through clicks/interest.

Reality, no one knows and it's anyone's guess. They also dispelled some of the myths around the wage crisis at Barca as Marca having a bit of fun at the club's expense.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Barcelona are actually playing a blinder here. They have got their free transfers in, they can train and play in pre season but can't be registered for La Liga.

They dont need to register until before the season starts anyway, so they dont need to force the De Jong deal until United tire out and pay the money.

United on the other hand, are just say there like clowns waiting for Barca. We don't even know if Barca accept, De Jong will come or not.

There is 2 factors to this too, he wouldn't leave without being paid his money owed and he doesnt want to join a EL club.
The club know more than they are able to say. You'd think they have assurances.

crossy1686

career ending

Well De Jong doesn't want to leave Barcelona but he will join United if they want to sell him and also pay him his deferred wages. Barcelona are just to make the wages United's problem instead of theirs.

Wing Attack Plan R

None of us can realistically answer this.
I think we can hazard a guess with reasonable certainty: the answer is yes, they owe him the money wherever he goes. Anyone who has ever bought a house knows there is a big, complicated dance involving the banks, and that's over only a million bucks and 2 people. In this case, Barcelona is trying to pay DeJong with money they don't actually have. They are trying to get us to include it somehow in the purchase, but that increases our liabilities, so we are not taking on their debt. It's not like both clubs are walking in with suitcases of cash. The banks and money managers who are overseeing this are treating it as two separate deals, whereas Barcelona is trying to treat it as one omnibus package. DeJong, for his part, is owed his deferred payment, but any monies he would have received after being sold, are clearly not what Barcelona consider their responsibility, and that's probably what they are arguing: if we sold DeJong this year without those deferred payments, the additional terms of his contract would be rendered moot, or would be rendered subject to the provisions of his new contract with United.

Basically Barcelona ran up a bar tab and now they're trying to get someone else to cover it.

Donut

Why would Chelsea be in for him? Isn’t he a very similar player to Jorginho?

RedDevil@84

Nah, from what I understand, he's told Barcelona that if they want to sell him to United, he wants the deferred wages they owe him
Sounds like a convenient excuse to see if he can stay at Barca. If Barca owes him wages and it is in the contract that they pay him now or later, then he can go to court to get paid.
He need not physically stay at Barca to make it happen.

Anyways, I think it is in our interest to try to look for alternatives. Or if the club thinks that it is FDJ or nothing, pay up the ransom demands from Barca.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Worth pointing out that so far the only two outlets to report the Chelsea interest today are TV3 and Sport. Would consider both Barcelona-friendly publications. TV3 especially who are Catalan.

crossy1686

career ending
Sounds like a convenient excuse to see if he can stay at Barca. If Barca owes him wages and it is in the contract that they pay him now or later, then he can go to court to get paid.
He need not physically stay at Barca to make it happen.

Anyways, I think it is in our interest to try to look for alternatives. Or if the club thinks that it is FDJ or nothing, pay up the ransom demands from Barca.
For sure it is, he doesn't want to leave and wants Barcelona to force the issue, which they're not, which is why this one will run until they sort themselves out or they force the issue.

The problem is that Barcelona won't accept our bid to talk with the player unless we agree to pay the missing wages. That's the hold up on the transfer.

TheGame

Eh? If he doesn’t leave, Barca can’t register their signed players so he gets a massive wage hike next season and they get left with 2 players on the sidelines. Not a blinder at all.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Worth pointing out that so far the only two outlets to report the Chelsea interest today are TV3 and Sport. Would consider both Barcelona-friendly publications. TV3 especially who are Catalan.
Exactly. If there was indeed anything in this, then we'd be getting a report from one of the Chelsea-affiliated journalists by now (not referring to Matt Law and Jacob Steinberg here).

Status
Not open for further replies.