Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Again aggregator sites twisting the quotes for attention and to get a rise out of United fans.

The article said Chelsea (apparently) offered or wanted to offer €60m and two players. Barca said no, we want cash only and didn't listen to the offer. The article didn't say Chelsea were considering it, they said Chelsea either did or wanted to offer that and was told no.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Exactly. If there was indeed anything in this, then we'd be getting a report from one of the Chelsea-affiliated journalists by now (not referring to Matt Law and Jacob Steinberg here).
Yeah, just reinforces the notion that this is a club-driven brief to pressure United.

None of us should be surprised after seeing Laporta's public games.

Bosws87

Barcelona have played a blinder by not paying their players what they legally signed them up for :lol:

What is this place.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yeah, just reinforces the notion that this is a club-driven brief to pressure United.

I've seen absolutely nothing from any English based journos, not even the crappy clickbait ones!

Lemoor

I really wish that United just called their bluff and moved on.

Berbaclass

I've seen absolutely nothing from any English based journos, not even the chappy clickbait ones!
Yeah, the only English journalists to comment on Frenkie at all today have all been in a somewhat positive aspect in terms of moving to United.

Radion silent regarding Chelsea.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yeah, the only English journalists to comment on Frenkie at all today have all been in a somewhat positive aspect in terms of moving to United.

Radion silent regarding Chelsea.
Wouldn't surprise me if in the past Chelsea did offer what's reported then when they were told no, backed off and watched what happened between United and Barca.

Barca are using that now to get more money out of United. If the Chelsea stuff was true, we'd either move fast to get de Jong in, or walk away and brief the media. Neither has happened at the moment, so it's a waiting game

Berbaclass

I really wish that United just called their bluff and moved on.
I understand to an extent why people might come to this conclusion but for me, we simply can't back down now.

It's absolutely obvious that Ten Hag sees Frenkie as crucial to his plans. For this reason, I would even advocate us just paying up and getting it done.

I'm much more on the side of just paying what they want and getting him in.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Again aggregator sites twisting the quotes for attention and to get a rise out of United fans.

The article said Chelsea (apparently) offered or wanted to offer €60m and two players. Barca said no, we want cash only and didn't listen to the offer. The article didn't say Chelsea were considering it, they said Chelsea either did or wanted to offer that and was told no.
I'm guessing you're referring to this article, right? Here's the relevant passage:
Els londinencs voldrien incloure Frenkie de Jong en l'operació de [Irrelevant point] i César Azpilicueta. El club blaugrana vol treure un benefici de 80 milions d'euros pel neerlandès i el Chelsea estaria disposat a pagar-ne uns 60, incloent-hi els dos laterals que vol el Barça.
Basically, Chelsea want to involve Frenkie de Jong in the departures of [Irrelevant point] and Azpilicueta. Barcelona want to make €80m out of the sale, and Chelsea want to offer €60m + both of the full backs. There's no mention of Barcelona rejecting this in the literal sense, but I can see how this passage can imply that Barcelona want cash only. Someone with a good grasp of Catalan can probably help us out here.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I remember the glory days where I used to get invested in these sort of sagas (Fabregas and Thiago ones were great).

At the end of the day, these sort of sagas are draining if you're fully invested however I do believe it's worth the club sticking this one out even if it will take us into the start of the season - it's clear that Ten Hag thinks De Jong is key, so that's worth some patience - we are dealing with a club that is in a complete mess so its a complicated deal.

In terms of backup - I reckon the club has put the feelers out for Tielemans as a backup - doesn't seem to have many suitors and available for a reasonable price.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I'm guessing you're referring to this article, right? Here's the relevant passage:

Basically, Chelsea want to involve Frenkie de Jong in the departures of [Irrelevant point] and Azpilicueta. Barcelona want to make €80m out of the sale, and Chelsea want to offer €60m + both of the full backs. There's no mention of Barcelona rejecting this in the literal sense, but I can see how this passage can imply that Barcelona want cash only. Someone with a good grasp of Catalan can probably help us out here.
Would it make sense for Barca to accept that anyway, knowing how dire their situation is? They'd get de Jong's wages off their books and then add more with 2 extra players. Makes no sense, which is why I doubt it.

It just makes no sense, not to add the absolute silence from all uk journos regarding the whole thing

marcus agrippa

Laurie Whitwell suggests (possibly more opinion) that Barca and United are disagreeing over who pays the outstanding wages.
I'm sorry, what?

How can we be on the hook for what they owe a player they signed to a stupid contract? In what world would that even make sense?

(Not addressed to you personally, just the sheer cheek of Barca to even suggest such a thing.)

This is where it's at for me. The inability to sign De Jong is not the issue it's the irresponsibility of not moving on to other targets. Nunez is a good example poor timing and bad prioritisation. This transfer window is already creating the upcoming seasons expectation. The club have lost almost 4 senior players and thus far all that's confirmed is a rotational left back. It's poor to say the least.
It's clear that this is a player ETH considers fundamental, hence they club's stance. Suppose we moved to another target, then you'd get people complaining that they haven't 'backed the manager' because they haven't gotten him his first choice. I've learnt you can't win on the Caf.

And it's unfair to criticize the club re: Nunez because:
1. No one knew at the time that Ronaldo wanted to leave.
2. Liverpool's squad is better than ours; they can afford to splurge on a single player. And they knew they had to replace Mane.

I understand the frustration, but I prefer to wait until the window's closed before passing judgement.

Scholsey2004

Sounds like Edson Alvarez at Ajax is for sale for around €30m. He's not De Jong obviously but it doesnt sound like De Jong's situation is easily resolvable.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Barca on the brink of extinction....they have played a blinder

Maticmaker

It's absolutely obvious that Ten Hag sees Frenkie as crucial to his plans
That's Erik's 'A' plan 'fecked' then as well... plan 'B' Erik, try for Kante, worth breaking the bank for that lad!...oh but check that he actually wants to play for us first...;)

lsd

The Oracle
To be fair, you'd absolutely love him to go to Chelsea, imagine having more reasons to be angry at the club :drool:

Tbh I wouldn't care. There's very little United can do to anger me anymore. I'm numb to them

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So Chelsea are signing 2 CBs, 2 full backs, 1 midfielder ,2 wingers and probably a forward too ?

Yes, makes perfect sense.

Berbaclass

That's Erik's 'A' plan 'fecked' then as well... plan 'B' Erik, try for Kante, worth breaking the bank for that lad!...oh but check that he actually wants to play for us first...;)
Why is it fecked?

From most accounts the deal in terms of the fee is not too far from completion.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Would it make sense for Barca to accept that anyway, knowing how dire their situation is? They'd get de Jong's wages off their books and then add more with 2 extra players. Makes no sense, which is why I doubt it.

It just makes no sense, not to add the absolute silence from all uk journos regarding the whole thing
Typically, yes, this wouldn't be a good deal for Barcelona, but in this case, Barcelona showed lots of interest in both [Irrelevant point] and Azpilicueta. With this deal, they sort out their full back situation, overall, and let go of a player on massive wages.

stepic

should be a simple case of deducting the money owed to fdj from the transfer fee. Barca will try it on of course

Castia

I think we're entering week 9 of this 'saga' and are still absolutely nowhere near getting it done

I said weeks ago this needs to be dropped it just isn't happening, we've wasted almost a full summer chasing a player who has publicly stated he doesn't want to leave it's hilarious.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
The problem with deferring wages is that if Barca becomes insolvent/bankrupt then banks and vendors have the first right over any cash from asset sales. The players will be left with whatever little is remaining. I can see the following scenario play out if Barca go insolvent:
  1. Spanish/Catalonia government tries to help Barca but European courts call it unfair state sponsored help. Thanks to Tebas' attacks, City/PSG will be more than happy to sue if direct government involvement takes place.
  2. There won't be a rapid fire sale of assets (players) as this would make Barca unattractive. Instead Barca will try to follow a German model of part fan ownership. Most buyers who will be interested will be corporations/big business, as wealthy individuals would prefer full control, unlike corporations who'd be more focused on their ability to market products.
  3. Either ways the new owners will demand zero responsibility for any previous liabilities (including deferred player wages). I can see numerous lawsuits from players/clubs/vendors challenging the fair value/acquisition cost of Barca. If the acquisition cost is too low, players may not get all their deferred wages and clubs owed transfer money may not get all their transfer fees from the stake sale.
  4. The divestment process will keep dragging on because of this. Barca keeps getting less valuable and post-acquisition I can see them as a Europa-level team for a few years.
If I was a young player entering my prime and yet to earn a lot of money, I'd avoid Barca till they were fully sorted.
My scenario would be a worst case scenario which has a 25% chance of happening … Barca are in a precarious spot where they need to remain successful but at the same time lower wages … I’m not sure how buying established players (Christensen, Lewa, Kessie) will reduce wages even if it gives them success. Revenues will be under pressure beginning next season as they have parted with 15-20% of media revenues for a short term cash injection.
This is exactly what people who are owed money by Barca should be worried about, including players. Probably a negotiation tactic by Bayern, but still a one Bayern can legitimately use with Barca and not for example West Ham.
Edit: just saw that it’s a joke by a journalist, but my point stands. Barca is a risky debtor!!!

Berbaclass

This is exactly what people who are owed money by Barca should be worried about, including players. Probably a negotiation tactic by Bayern, but still a one Bayern can legitimately use with Barca and not for example West Ham.
The Lewa quote was literally a joke mate.

Maticmaker

Why is it fecked?
Frenkie says he wants to stay at Barca, they are his dream club, although they owe him money and don't want to pay him, yet he still wants to stay. The bright lights of Manchester are not appealing to him...perhaps.

FDJ's not coming, United plane leaves for pre-season tour of Thailand tomorrow... oh wait perhaps Frenkie is holidaying in Thailand, so he could join up with us then.:confused:

izec

I think we're entering week 9 of this 'saga' and are still absolutely nowhere near getting it done

I said weeks ago this needs to be dropped it just isn't happening, we've wasted almost a full summer chasing a player who has publicly stated he doesn't want to leave it's hilarious.
This has massive potential to backfire. I mean the weakest area of the team and we only have one target we chase. If this does not happen, we are doomed.

I hope we have a plan and know what we are doing, with hopefully some backups lined up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This "saga" is an utter snoozefest. Hopefully we get more signings like Malacia and Eriksen while this nonsense carries on.

Berbaclass

Frenkie says he wants to stay at Barca, they are his dream club, although they owe him money and don't want to pay him, yet he still wants to stay. The bright lights of Manchester are not appealing to him...perhaps.

FDJ's not coming, United plane leaves for pre-season tour of Thailand tomorrow... oh wait perhaps Frenkie is holidaying in Thailand, so he could join up with us then.:confused:
It's okay we'll send the bailiffs round to get him.

lex talionis

No doubt the facts will prove me wrong, but it seems like we endure this kind of saga every single summer going back at least 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.