Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatDane

If it hadn't been for the fact that I really want FDJ badly - I would almost hope he stays, because this is going to get toxic. I feel like bringing popcorn :)
Oh same. I want him to come to us more - but there's a small part of me that just want to see Barcelona burn at his point.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Imagine if United could just trigger “Economic Levers” each summer like Barcelona… We’d have Mbappe, Haaland and Ronaldo up front.

Funny thing is too the Barcelona fans seem so happy they can keep doing it. Until the club crumbles in a couple of years time anyways.

Barcelona have to keep winning trophies at this rate. One bad season they might be out of business.
Nah, we wouldn’t see it as fans - the dividends would just get bigger.

RkkMan

This situation is gonna be messy. Like I said in an earlier post I can see Barcelona forcing him out like Arthur/Suarez

AlexUTD

I met Tuchel at the pub last night. He said they're not and told me to feck off and called me a moron who smells like curry.

I was so appalled at the blatant racism I dropped my 15 litres of chicken tikka masala.
Breaking news FDJ fell out of bed this morning and took it as a sign he should leave Barcelona immediately. One of his neighbours heard him scream (translated loosely from Spanish....) "It's go time".
:lol:

We need an rvn

Imagine if United could just trigger “Economic Levers” each summer like Barcelona… We’d have Mbappe, Haaland and Ronaldo up front.

Funny thing is too the Barcelona fans seem so happy they can keep doing it. Until the club crumbles in a couple of years time anyways.

Barcelona have to keep winning trophies at this rate. One bad season they might be out of business.
With the squad Real currently have, and Athletico to a degree too, I struggle to see them winning the league in the next year or two. They have some good young kids but the squad looks a bit disjointed at the moment

Same issue for them in the CL when you see the squads Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Bayern, PSG have.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
De Jong is on €18m net this season + €2.88m net loyalty - and rising over the next four years would add up to around €170m gross.

I think Marca revealed his contract details a few days ago.
So they haven't paid him since he joined?

Von Mistelroum

I really want De Jong. He's clearly very important to Ten Hag and his system, and I think that he could go down as one of our best ever midfielders if played in the right position, in the right system, however, I do think that we should be incredibly wary at this point.

Barcelona are showing that they're a very sneaky club. They are trying to get De Jong to accept a pay decrease in order to buy new players. This we know, they are essentially showing him that they're ready to let him sign for another club if he doesn't accept. In simple terms, threatening him with coming here... And he's showing every step of the way that he doesn't want that. This gives Barcelona the strong stance.

Eventually he might just accept their offer and this might actually be what they wanted all along. Keep a top player, pay him peanuts and use United for leverage.

Telsim

This situation is gonna be messy. Like I said in an earlier post I can see Barcelona forcing him out like Arthur/Suarez
This is the correct stance by him and his agent. Too bad we are dragged into this. Hopefully, alternatives are being looked at.

cyberman

I mean, of course he doesn’t, why should he? There’s a lot of nonsense put on De Jongs shoulders and it’s really not fair

El Presidente

So, common sense suggests that there’s no way we commit months into this, refuse to have any sort of a plan B and go all this way without having the player’s word that he would be open to come.

On the other hand, all of the tier 1s (Romano, Romero, Polo) say that he has no intention of leaving and that’s that.

Wonder which one is more believable.

Drainy

Strong Di Maria vibes here.
More like Dan James.

Was told he's no longer wanted, the club had accepted an offer and he needs to move. He initially wanted to stay but eventually got his head around what was happening and Leeds was a good club for him and he was happy enough to move, though his preference would be to stay.

Only differences (apart from the quality of the player and the clubs) is de Jong is owed 10s of millions in delayed pay he won't get by leaving, and the desperation of the other parties compared to him. Oh and he has a fiancé who probably won't want to leave Barcelona for Manchester, which I do get is a bit more like Di Maria.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I bet Frenkie's position will increasingly 'harden' as more new players come in. May even make it public as his final stand. Then extract or clawback as much as possible what Barca will offer him by that stage.

And then agree to the transfer.

largelyworried

I have no problem with a player being reluctant to leave a club, this often happens and doesn’t mean the player won’t give their all. But this does seem like a pretty extreme situation, with the player being forced out against their will. Will that result in us getting peak performances out of him? If it weren't for the lack of decent alternatives I'd normally consider it better for the club to walk away.

sglowrider

Our deadline is Friday, right?
16th -- they are leaving for the US tour that day.

But July 30 is a deadline Barca has set themselves to provide a financial update to La Liga regarding next season’s salary limit -- according to The Athletic.

So they will need to know the comings & goings before then.

RkkMan

I bet Frenkie's position will increasingly 'harden' as more new players come in. May even make it public as his final stand. Then extract or clawback as much as possible what Barca will offer him by that stage.

And then agree to the transfer.
Almost feels like Barca are doing a Good Cop Bad Cop thing.
Good Cop- Give the player two clean options to either take a pay cut plus waiver on wages owed or agree to leave without a fuss
Bad Cop- If the player agrees to neither option they make the decision for him by kicking him out regardless of his stance but making things ugly in the process

Drainy

Nah. With Di Maria we never heard pretty much every day for a whole month how much he doesn't want to join.
No, with Di Maria he wanted Paris but was forced by Real to go to Manchester for the money.

The talk with de Jong is that he just wants to stay, but if he has to leave sees United as an acceptable alternative.

Mainoldo

This is the correct stance by him and his agent. Too bad we are dragged into this. Hopefully, alternatives are being looked at.
He’s not saying he wants to stay. He’s saying I want my f’ing money. The talks are probably we cannot give you what we said we owe you.

In which case I’m staying until you do.

Joe Louis

What a load of bollocks. Barca are refusing to pay what they owe him, he'd have been at United by now if they weren't such a bunch of needy weirdos, who need to feel extra special no matter what, they can't just let a good player leave, there has to be a media campaign to tell everyone how great and special Barca is. Tedious beyond belief.

DevTheRed

He’s telling Barca he wants to stay.. but Frenkie and Ten Hag would’ve definitely spoken over the last couple of months and I refuse to believe that we’d still be travelling to Barca to try and make a deal if Frenkie had told Ten Hag he wasn’t interested.

Is it possible that Frenkie is looking to be forced out/paid off (his owed wages)?

Wicked_Badger

If you knew your employer had to get rid of you to balance the books but owed you 50% of your last two years’ salary, would you just accept that & move on without getting them paid first?

Or would you dig your heels in, tell them you’re not moving and wait for them to eventually pay up?

Pretty sure this is what’s happening. FDJ is playing one of the cards he holds & he and Man Utd know Barca are in a weak position.

sglowrider

Almost feels like Barca are doing a Good Cop Bad Cop thing.
Good Cop- Give the player two clean options to either take a pay cut plus waiver on wages owed or agree to leave without a fuss
Bad Cop- If the player agrees to neither option they make the decision for him by kicking him out regardless of his stance but making things ugly in the process
Yeap. Shitty position to be put in. Its a win-win-win by Laporte. The Barca fans will also be happy with either or any of the outcomes since it paves the way for the new stars.

And he looks completely the opposite of Bartomeu -- a smart operator -- and now the saviour of Barcelona FC.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why is everyone talking about levers?
See this amazing post by Pigeon:
You don't understand. They're levers. Normal clubs would "sell off" assets and rights but Barcelona, Masters of Football, Poets, Scholars, Gods, use a system of winches and pulleys to operate. They trade in ether and Ambrosia, not Euros. They sleep on beds made out of diamonds and their diamonds are made by hand, as the carbon is crushed under Barcelona's greatness.

If you wanted to be uneducated you could argue that Barcelona are a regular family that have no money but riddled with Klarna debt to pay for their house, car, and holidays so they can post on Instagram about how amazing their life is. But the reality is that they're Barcelona, Lions and Eagles of Football, The Last Donut in the Box, GOATS.

SirAnderson

Wowzer, the last time I visited this page it was on 282. It's 686. The feck is there to talk about? Deal seems no more further than it was 400 pages ago. :lol:
I think the muppet in me has died horribly.

mctrials23

I would love to have been there and heard Xavi explaining how they need to sell him for economic reasons.

"So Frenkie, we have to sell you because we have no money and can't afford to keep you. You must understand how much this hurts us all and we are doing this as a last resort"

"So you aren't just about to spend £100m+ on new players on large contracts Xavi?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh....."

"Yeah, feck off Xavi."

vanderpants

I've kept out of here but can someone please explain what " levers " means as I don't understand, how can Barca spend £60m on a new player but then tell other players they need to take a cut in wages?

Judas

Open to offers
Wowzer, the last time I visited this page it was on 282. It's 686. The feck is there to talk about? Deal seems no more further than it was 400 pages ago. :lol:
I think the muppet in me has died horribly.
Clearly is though. We are simply waiting for De Jong to get his payments one way or another and then he’s ours.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Part of me wants him to stay and not take a pay cut just to feck them up

SirAnderson

Clearly is though. We are simply waiting for De Jong to get his payments one way or another and then he’s ours.
But there is a possibility he stays still, and the whole Barca owing him money was also a topic last time I visited. Doesn't seem anything has changed really.

Anyway, I haven't been able to get any muppetry inside me going this summer sadly, so maybe a bit more jealous than anything else. 400 pages of nothingness is what a muppet thrives off. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.