Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

I think they need him to accept the wage cut if he’s staying which apparently he has no intention of doing.

They can’t keep him on his current wage.
But when he see's them spending 70m+ on players he isn't going to take a cut and rightly so

He's going nowhere and there's nothing they can do but pay him his contracted salary, Frenkie holds all the cards here

saivet

To me that just looks like a negotiating tactic from FDJ's camp to ensure they get the 17m they are owed, which is the logical thing to do. Don't leave before you get your money sorted and certainly don't accept a pay cut.

kirk buttercup

Well that sucks
Tbf he wants to play for Barca for the money he was promised which is fair enough, also he is never going to say he is going to leave when is owed huge amounts of money . Barca want to pay him nowhere near that amount and really need to push him on but don't want to be portrayed as the bad guys , United have offered the money to buy him but can wait to all the BS is sorted . Which all leads us to another day of the same thing being reported...again.

The positive is with Barca looking to bring in players one way or another they will need to get this sorted.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I think they need him to accept the wage cut if he’s staying which apparently he has no intention of doing.

They can’t keep him on his current wage.
They'd likely need to sell a lot of their fringe players too in order to lower the wage bill further.

De Jong stays - new signings can't be registered, so they'd have all this talent that can't be used. Great idea for them that

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Aaaaaand here comes the caf meltdown.

I'll call back later when things have calmed down and people see this is Romano just keeping the story relevent why nothing much is happening

Castia

To me that just looks like a negotiating tactic from FDJ's camp to ensure they get the 17m they are owed, which is the logical thing to do. Don't leave before you get your money sorted and certainly don't accept a pay cut.

Nah

The key part for me was the bottom line where United have also been informed, it's one thing to play Barcelona for the money but telling the club interested he's no intention of leaving is another thing all together

tidraKS

Well that sucks
This Fabrizio fella must be joking. One day Frenkie is open to joining, the other day he's informing the club he's staying.

I think he's just trying to stay relevant without having too much knowledge of what's happening.

MUFC OK

Why would that be so hard to decipher though? Deduct it from the transfer fee - unless by regulatory mechanism money cannot be moved between transfer income and wages.

Maybe it would take 17m off what they can legally pay in wages this year? Which we already know has little room for manouvre.

RkkMan

But when he see's them spending 70m+ on players he isn't going to take a cut and rightly so

He's going nowhere and there's nothing they can do but pay him his contracted salary, Frenkie holds all the cards here
They`ll still remain above their wage cap and fail to register new signings. No other sale will help them as much as FDJ. If he refuses to leave even after being paid his 17m the decision will be made for him

It seems as though they are taking this stance to ensure FDJ gets paid the money he is owed.

The ball is in Barcas court again and they will need to pay it or come to an agreement with United on the outstanding monies.

It’s frustrating but don’t think there’s anything new here.
He’s clearly interested in the United move else our top brass would not be there, however this is 100% the right stance from here, especially saying that he won’t even accept talks about his salary. Barça need to come back to him asap with an incentive (shed load of back pay) to get him to ok the move.

ShinjiNinja26

I hope the reports of us wanting this concluded by Friday are true, either we sign him or we move on. If he doesn’t want to come then sign an alternative and get them bedded in as soon as possible.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
All those who don't think this is happening should offer themselves to be thread banned. It'll make it all the sweeter for us in here when it actually happens.

RkkMan

Fabrizio hasn`t said anything different from his YouTube update last night to be fair. This will be the player`s stance until he`s paid what he`s owed. If he still wants to remain even after that then there`s a cause for worry

crackers0seven

Please tell me we haven't done a cesc again.chasing a player for weeks when the player had no intention of joining us. We couldn't have been that foolish again.. God we will look like some muppets if we have.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yes, like we saw with Ous in last winter, when he became the most important player during seasons second half...
The difference is Xavi wants Dembele to stay, FDJ... not so much.

He was also happy to take the paycut. FDJ.. not so much.

OmarUnited4ever

If that's correct, that's €17.5 - 20M a year gross, or about GBP 283k - 320k a week. That's a "normal" contract for a player of his stature, and if FDJ was on a "normal" contract Barca wouldn't bend over backwards to get rid of the guy.

Barca awarded stupid contracts to a lot of their players which got them in the current debacle. Don't they owe like €50m in deferred comp to Pique? You don't end up there by giving "normal" contracts.
€17.5 - 20M gross a year is a big contract, even for a stupid team like Barca, and they are trying to sign new players on salaries at maximum of €10M - €15M, while also trying to either get rid of their big earners (done for Messi, Griezmann & Coutinho) or convince/force them into lower salaries (De Jong & Dembele) and the numbers you mentioned earlier about De Jong's contract which was mentioned is in gross/pretax pay, not net.

saivet

Nah

The key part for me was the bottom line where United have also been informed, it's one thing to play Barcelona for the money but telling the club interested he's no intention of leaving is another thing all together
I think like others have said that there must be a willingness on his side to make the move, as I doubt even a club like ours we'd be chasing a guy that has 0 interest in joining.

Why would that be so hard to decipher though? Deduct it from the transfer fee - unless by regulatory mechanism money cannot be moved between transfer income and wages.

Maybe it would take 17m off what they can legally pay in wages this year? Which we already know has little room for manouvre.
I think Barca don't want to pay him and want that money for themselves. It Barca operated like a normal and respectful club, you're right in that it shouldn't be an issue.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It will happen when Barcelona decide to pay him the money he’s owed to leave - which they will have to do due to his wages over the next two years being crazy money and him not being guaranteed first choice - plus the fee he brings is needed for other deals.
Money that should be paid by Man Utd.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Fabrizio hasn`t said anything different from his YouTube update last night to be fair. This will be the player`s stance until he`s paid what he`s owed. If he still wants to remain even after that then there`s a cause for worry
This is absolutely correct. He's got an army of United fans following him now looking for updates and he knows that he's literally got them hanging on his every word.
If he can say it's stalling, he gets more people asking for updates hoping for good news.
More updates = more traffic, much better for him. Wish people would actually see that.

How much has Romano actually been correct about on this? I've not been through all his tweets but it looks like he doesn't know as much as people think he does on this. He's said the same stuff pretty much daily now for weeks, just worded differently

Keefy18

I've said it for feckin weeks and tagged as negative and a wum and non supporter.

Time to move on now, sadly we don't seem to have a single alternate lined up and we've fecked out all scouting targets lined up over the last year.

Von Mistelroum

Also, it's reported that ten Hag is in communication with de Jong regularly. Do you not think he'd know by now if this was true? Do you not think he'd walk away if he didn't have the assurances he needs?

Still if de Jong wants to stay, he has to accept a huge pay cut. He won't accept that. So to be fair, Barca will do all they can to force him out, legally.
Well it seems Barcelona are trying to scare him into accepting a pay cut by 'threatening' to sell him. We're used as the leverage on their behalf.

It's possible that De Jong is doing the same thing back to them. Telling EtH that he's wanting to sign, while telling Barca that he's no intention of leaving or accepting a pay cut. Eventually they will have to pay him what he's wanting and he gets to stay while, again, we're used as leverage.

Castia

All those who don't think this is happening should offer themselves to be thread banned. It'll make it all the sweeter for us in here when it actually happens.
And if it doesn't go through? you've watched the club waste 2 months on a player who had zero interest in joining since day 1

Deserves a much bigger 'slap on the ass' than a thread ban.

Macern

Pee pee pants
The question is , do we want a player that does not want to play for us ?
Yes.

This is such a weird thing though. Just because he'd prefer Barca to us doesn't mean he doesn't want to join us. It's like, I work in economy and I recently accepted a better job offer. Doesn't mean that I don't want to complete my remaining 3 months in my current job and do my best. Also doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to take over say Matt Judge's job. Very few people are in their literal dream job and very few players are in their literal dream club, but doesn't mean people aren't motivated and thriving just because there's a better job for them out there.

I think it comes down to professionalism / who you are. People will say Di Maria failed at United because he'd rather be in Real Madrid or somewhere else, but I think it has something to do with his general attitude rather than the fact that he wasn't in his dream club.

sewey89

Please tell me we haven't done a cesc again.chasing a player for weeks when the player had no intention of joining us. We couldn't have been that foolish again.. God we will look like some muppets if we have.
We haven't done a Cesc again, chasing a player for weeks when the player had no intention of joining us.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Constant transfer 'updates' just lead to this absolute nonsense near on everytime.

No-one has a clue what's happening. Do your best to just wait and see.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Ducker is reliable and with the squad on tour and has had mostly positive news regarding the move. Mitten has close ties to both clubs and has been quite positive too. Romano has been rehashing the same tweet every single day for the past two months.

Irrational.

Put a fork in this lads, it’s done. I have seen or heard no signs of encouragement from the player since the day we were linked. We need to move onto other targets, time is against us.

Bet Arnold and Murtough feel like a right pair of jelly dildos flying out to Barcelona to close the deal.

sewey89

And if it doesn't go through? you've watched the club waste 2 months on a player who had zero interest in joining since day 1

Deserves a much bigger 'slap on the ass' than a thread ban.
If it doesn't go through, then ban me

Status
Not open for further replies.