g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Maybe. Seeing him in Barcelona doesn’t give me confidence that he is the one to fix our problems. I see Eriksen (if it goes through) as far better signing. I think We should have gone for Kante type players but I hope deJong prove me wrong. At least, he can’t be worse then some of those who left.
Barca have never played him to his strengths really, and he's still shone in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
When the president of your club is doing everything to get rid of you - you don't stay at that club.

I'm not a blind optimist and FDJ is not my favourite player ever. But his relationship with Barcelona is finished - you're naïve if you don't see it. United or not he's gone.

I can see there's no reasoning with you. I'm hoping that with your user title, the 'master of hindsight' you'll see how silly you sound later on.
I do not sound silly in the slightest. I’ve not said we will not sign De Jong. I’ve said that there have been valid reasons to have doubts that we will throughout this negotiation. It is as simple as that. Again, I don’t need you to repeat to me the reasons why there are chances we will. I am not ij denial of any of these things. I have acknowledged them, you have acknowledged them. I have also acknowledged that the player himself would prefer to stay, and he has a contract to do so. He also has financial incentive to do so due to terms of his contract that have not yet been resolved. It is these things that you seem to refuse to acknowledge.

If it was all so straightforward, then why haven’t we signed him already? There are still ‘things to resolve’ - what if they don’t get resolved? Have Barcelona given you any reason to believe that they will pay Frenkie £17m? What if he won’t leave without it? Then there is the fact that he’d be happy to stay. Your position is strange, but I’ll leave you to it, you can hold whatever position you choose.

Strats

If you walk away, walk away
walk away, walk away
I will follow
If you walk away, walk away
walk away, walk away
I will follow

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

Barca fans claim it's a reliable source, can' imagine anyone in their right mind would want to stay after the treatment he's received this summer. Trying to skimp out on his wages now they're telling him to feck off
He should stay or ask for Barcelona to pay every penny to close the gap between what they would have given him for the rest of his contract and his new salary. Asking a player give up what he was promised because you don't want him anymore isn't something that should be tolerated from any club, especially when you want to sign a different player instead.

prateik

Frenkie aint leaving till he gets what is his.. barca can cry all they want.

cyberman

He should stay or ask for Barcelona to pay every penny to close the gap between what they would have given him for the rest of his contract and his new salary. Asking a player give up what he was promised because you don't want him anymore isn't something that should be tolerated from any club, especially when you want to sign a different player instead.
To be fair they might pay him off with a bonus now instead of wages that frees up their cap?
It seems this could be what De Jong was waiting for, being officially asked to leave

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How does anyone want to play for this scummy club? everytime a player left in the past 2 years they've always said they have no choice. Never accepting responsibilities despite owing players money in deferred wages and yet still actively looking for new expensive toys in the market. Shameless.

A-man

Do we know any numbers? Like what was the total cost of the deferred wages? How much does Frenkie want basically to not feel like he's being stitched up?

Not suggesting that we pay it, necessarily. Just want to get the picture. Because he will surely get some sort of signing bonus to sign for United
I heard £17 mill in deferred wages.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
When the president of your club is doing everything to get rid of you - you don't stay at that club.

I'm not a blind optimist and FDJ is not my favourite player ever. But his relationship with Barcelona is finished - you're naïve if you don't see it. United or not he's gone.

I can see there's no reasoning with you. I'm hoping that with your user title, the 'master of hindsight' you'll see how silly you sound later on.
There's an endless list of players that clubs wanted to get rid of and that ended up staying because they didn't want to reduce their salaries.

bosskeano

the sheer audacity of Barca to tell him HE MUST LEAVE....when they owe him 17m in back wages.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He better be a good player
How does anyone want to play for this scummy club? everytime a player left in the past 2 years they've always said they have no choice. Never accepting responsibilities despite owing players money in deferred wages and yet still actively looking for new expensive toys in the market. Shameless.
his replacement will be literally walking in the other way when FDJ is leaving!

Gandalf

There's an endless list of players that clubs wanted to get rid of and that ended up staying because they didn't want to reduce their salaries.
In those cases though the player staying did not mean that the club could not register other players for the upcoming season. The La Liga salary cap is the issue here, if FDJ does not leave then Raphina, Christensen, Kessie and any other signings such as Lewa cannot be registered. It makes his departure essential to Barca's plans and if push comes to shove they will pay him whatever it takes to go away, the last couple of months have been a prolonged game of chicken as Barca try to weasel out of paying him but he has not blinked and so it has gone to the wire.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
United line up for the match tomorrow. Cold breeze. The typical Australian winter bringing a hint of evening dew on the brows of the players as they stand ready for the whistle to blow. But it doesn't blow. Instead there's just.

Silence.

An endless void. The fans look around in confusion. The players remain where they are. Nonchalant. Biding their time for they already know what is coming next.

The lights go off! The sound of a bass drum thumps out. One-two. One-two. Gaining tempo with each bar. Until the sounds of penny whistles and recorders play out. The lights spark back into life. The pitch splits in half revealing a rudimentary hatch and elevator. And, riding that wave of steel to the top is none other than Ronaldo.

He waves to the crowd, clutching a white fur robe. His crown adorned with rubies and emeralds glisten as he smiles in delight. Patches of the crowd politely clap, others boo. The players remain still, showing no emotion. Maguire grits his teeth. Ronaldo doesn't notice any of this, nor does he notice the object swinging towards him.

"OHMYGAWD! OHMYGAWD!" screams out Jim Ross. "HE'S GOT THE STEEL CHAIR!!!"

Frenkie swings again. Ronaldo grunts. Teeth go flying. The crowd goes wild. Ten Hag puts on a pair of clogs and dances about. Maguire chuckles. Ronaldo struggles to get to his feet and doesn't see the elbow come until the last moment.

"HE'S CLIMBED UP TO THE TOP OF THE ROOF AND ELBOW DROPPED HIM. OHMYGAWD!!!"

Frenkie stands up and puts his hands in the air. The team run up to him and celebrate, ignoring the Portuguese dickhead under their feet. A banner is rolled down from the roof. WELCOME TO MANCHESTER.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
His first interview will be interesting.

"So Frenkie, what made you want to join United?"

"Eh......"

Cypriot

In those cases though the player staying did not mean that the club could not register other players for the upcoming season. The La Liga salary cap is the issue here, if FDJ does not leave then Raphina, Christensen, Kessie and any other signings such as Lewa cannot be registered. It makes his departure essential to Barca's plans and if push comes to shove they will pay him whatever it takes to go away, the last couple of months have been a prolonged game of chicken as Barca try to weasel out of paying him but he has not blinked and so it has gone to the wire.
Thank you for your common sense. This is a unique situation.

GreatDane

For all the talk about Barcelona being his dream club and he doesn't want to leave - I'm pretty sure that part is over.
Mess of a club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I know a few Barca fans and they're all devastated at the prospect of losing Frenkie and how the club have let it come to that. That simply doesn't happen for a player that has supposedly been underwhelming there. He might have been at his best at Ajax but he's clearly been excellent for Barca too.
Yeah everything I've seen basically suggests that he's been among their best players, just as a club they've been a mess. They also don't have an ideal plan for him later on going forward, as he just doesn't mesh with Pedri/Gavi or the traditional Barcelona style quite as much. So they'll always have priority over him.

OverratedOpinion

United line up for the match tomorrow. Cold breeze. The typical Australian winter bringing a hint of evening dew on the brows of the players as they stand ready for the whistle to blow. But it doesn't blow. Instead there's just.

Silence.

An endless void. The fans look around in confusion. The players remain where they are. Nonchalant. Biding their time for they already know what is coming next.

The lights go off! The sound of a bass drum thumps out. One-two. One-two. Gaining tempo with each bar. Until the sounds of penny whistles and recorders play out. The lights spark back into life. The pitch splits in half revealing a rudimentary hatch and elevator. And, riding that wave of steel to the top is none other than Ronaldo.

He waves to the crowd, clutching a white fur robe. His crown adorned with rubies and emeralds glisten as he smiles in delight. Patches of the crowd politely clap, others boo. The players remain still, showing no emotion. Maguire grits his teeth. Ronaldo doesn't notice any of this, nor does he notice the object swinging towards him.

Frenkie swings again. Ronaldo grunts. Teeth go flying. The crowd goes wild. Ten Hag puts on a pair of clogs and dances about. Maguire chuckles. Ronaldo struggles to get to his feet and doesn't see the elbow come until the last moment.

Frenkie stands up and puts his hands in the air. The team run up to him and celebrate, ignoring the Portuguese dickhead under their feet. A banner is rolled down from the roof. WELCOME TO MANCHESTER.
I doubt that will happen.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

Silence.

Bet you thought this would be a green smiley.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
What do you mean? Weren't they last years wages deferred to future years?
He agreed a reduced wage and a higher salary in final two years. From my understanding he signed an new contract (I might be wrong) with this lower wage. His higher wage hasn't kicked in yet. Think when he signed a new contract barca have him by the balls

Saint Jonez

Wumming
A player who openly wanted to stay at Barcelona and got forced out will be just another mercenary like Pogba. No CL the next seasons either and if you get a lucky 4th, round of 16 is going to be the highest United will get in CL. Average mercenary team. I don't know how United fans can't see that after 10 years of absolute failure and embarrassment despite throwing money around like they are PSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.