Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitress

I don't like this a bit, but the desperate need that we are in... pay whatever it takes and get the guy. He is worth it.
Pay whatever it takes is exactly the thing that got Barcelona into their current mess.

This is getting ridiculous. I thought the entire idea of having a football system is not to be dependent on a single player. Why is Ten Hag risking the club's fortunes on this single transfer?

Gandalf

I mean we’ve agreed a fee why the feck would he be going on tour. We’ve been patient to this point but this is the time where we force their hand. If he gets on the plane we should walk.

Makes zero sense to take him, what are they getting out of taking him to the US if they want him sold?
I would just go back to the reports that say Barca won't pay him off until they get the 320M from the second rights sale which is due in their accounts next week. If they are still playing hardball with him in 7 days time then you might have a solid reason to worry. So far as the tour goes there is the fact that they are trying to get out of paying the deferred wages, if they leave him off the plane then they could be giving him ammunition for a constructive dismissal claim so they will be very circumspect. We ultimately don't know, in fact the tweet that says he is going on the tour is from one highly dubious source and there have been some equally unverified sources claiming he won't be going and until the plane takes off it is anybodys guess.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
The status with De Jong is crazy. He is reluctant. We should move on now.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
It does makes sense for the agent, he wants to force Barcelona's hands. The agent is allowed to say one thing to United in private and claim something else in public in order to push Barcelona into a corner. And I don't think that United, De Jong or his agent give a damn about what people will imagine, they care about getting their money while the club cares about getting the player.
Never thought of it like that. Hence why i do say we know one side of the story, the side they want to make public and let the fans and the sorts hear.
Barca are just being pretty scummy about it all, they're basically saying "we need you gone to free up some FFP, but we also want to register these shiny new players too". I'd feel really annoyed if i was Frenkie, but then again, as long as he gets him 17m that he's owed, regardless of his public stance, i don't think he cares about whether he stays or not. Thats just my opinion looking at it from an objective viewpoint

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You dont take a player after a bids been accepted, i‘ve never seen that one.
You rarely know when a fee as actually been accepted. Even in this case, clubs have allegedly agreed on a fee but there is no actual deal done.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
They want to sell Memphis and unless I missed something he is supposed to also go on tour. Clubs rarely leave players out of tour because they may be sold in the following month.
They’ve agreed a fee though and are trying to force him out. Personally I don’t see him going on tour if Barcelona want him gone - it makes no sense. Taking him just tells FDJ if he doesn’t want to move he’ll still play.

Laurencio

Either he really desperately doesn't want to come here at all, or Barcelona are run beyond all sensibility and are holding up a 85M euro deal over 17M euros in deferred wages.

Both options are utterly crazy...

Castia

I’ve done a lot of moaning in this thread and been very sceptical to say the least all throughout this, I said about 4 weeks ago jokingly that we’ll end up pulling out of this deal and in a panic end up over paying for somebody like Ruben Neves and it’s going to happen isn’t it…..

Should have left this weeks ago and watch Barcelona panic, instead we’ve stuck around like a little lap dog and got virtually nothing else done all summer.

Heads should roll once this deal collapses the useless fecks.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
They’ve agreed a fee though and are trying to force him out. Personally I don’t see him going on tour if Barcelona want him gone - it makes no sense. Taking him just tells FDJ if he doesn’t want to move he’ll still play.
Going on tour doesn't mean he'll play. They could take him on tour and have him sat on the bench or in the stands for the entire thing, or bring him on for about 2 or 3 minutes. Kind of like saying "if you stay, this is your future"

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Either he really desperately doesn't want to come here at all, or Barcelona are run beyond all sensibility and are holding up a 85M euro deal over 17M euros in deferred wages.

Both options are utterly crazy...
He rather stays with his abusive, violent, rude wife it seems

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not true. He extended his contract when deferring the salary and the money he deferred was added to the remaining 4 years on his deal. Barca are taking the stance that if he leaves they owe him nothing as his contract has not been fulfilled. Legally they are correct but morally they are very much in the wrong as they know that they are not honoring the spirit of the agreement.
This is correct. It was deferred and there’s nothing “owing” to de Jong per se, except the last 4 years of his contract at a much higher rate when those deferred wages are factored into it.

AttackAttackAttack

I mean we’ve agreed a fee why the feck would he be going on tour. We’ve been patient to this point but this is the time where we force their hand. If he gets on the plane we should walk.

Makes zero sense to take him, what are they getting out of taking him to the US if they want him sold?
I agree I don’t understand why he is going on tour if a fee has been agreed and especially if barca are trying to force him out. Things seem very off and it’s going to be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end regardless of the outcome.

Castia

You rarely know when a fee as actually been accepted. Even in this case, clubs have allegedly agreed on a fee but there is no actual deal done.
So at what point after 2 months and now the player going away for a further 2+ weeks do you leave it then? Because starting the season without a midfielder seems like a complete failure.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I’ve done a lot of moaning in this thread and been very sceptical to say the least all throughout this, I said about 4 weeks ago jokingly that we’ll end up pulling out of this deal and in a panic end up over paying for somebody like Ruben Neves and it’s going to happen isn’t it…..

Should have left this weeks ago and watch Barcelona panic, instead we’ve stuck around like a little lap dog and got virtually nothing else done all summer.

Virtually nothing else? Are you forgetting we've signed Malacia, Eriksen and agreed a fee/personal terms with Martinez?
Nothing else? Really?

We're sticking around because i imagine that all this media BS is just that... BS. United know the true story. They're in contact with de Jong and his agent... if at any point they said "Nah he truly isn't coming, don't waste your time" then United would absolutely walk away, they'd be totally stupid not too. Thankfully transfers are don't via the media, if they were, nothing would ever get done.

JPRouve

Scout
FDJ will play if he doesn't want to move because Barcelona will need him numerically. Barcelona aren't in a good position here and there is no point for them to pretend too much. There is also the Dembélé experience where Laporta made his speach about players that aren't committed and yet he ended up playing because Xavi wanted and needed him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

We meesed up big times in the past years so we are not really in a position to move to the next target. That is why we wait like a dog for his bone

Castia

Virtually nothing else? Are you forgetting we've signed Malacia, Eriksen and agreed a fee/personal terms with Martinez?
Nothing else? Really?

We're sticking around because i imagine that all this media BS is just that... BS. United know the true story. They're in contact with de Jong and his agent... if at any point they said "Nah he truly isn't coming, don't waste your time" then United would absolutely walk away, they'd be totally stupid not too. Thankfully transfers are don't via the media, if they were, nothing would ever get done.
literally just getting those deals done today and both players will miss the tour, Eriksen agreed to join almost 2 weeks ago we’re fecking beyond slow it’s hilarious.

Should have played Barcelona weeks ago. Come out and publicly withdraw free FdJ and watch them completely panic, I bet the deal would have been done now.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Doesn't matter to them. They can drive it home to him that if he stays he will play, yes, but he'll get minimal time and it's in his best interests to leave.
Not taking him on tour sends a far stronger message. And has the benefit of getting it done quicker. If I was Barcelona and I wanted to sell him ASAP to get the 85m fee I’ve arranged he absolutely would not be going on tour.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
literally just getting those deals done today and both players will miss the tour, Eriksen agreed to join almost 2 weeks ago we’re fecking beyond slow it’s hilarious.
As i say, you have no idea whats going on behind the scenes. People think transfers happen just like they do in Football Manager... it's not that simple. There are crap tons of variables and obstacles that need to be overcome. It's not a case of submitting a bit, having it accepted then just offering a contract to the player. We're talking big transfers, involving a lot of money. It's never that simple.

RkkMan

From The Muppetiers Discord. Been following them throughout this window and their reporting has been on the money.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So why is he going on tour then? they won’t want to risk a 70m sale and if he’s going looks like they have zero intention of paying him the money owed.

We simply can’t risk this deal any longer, we need to move on.
Because he’s their player and he’ll honour his contract. Walking away now would be outrageous

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Who is saying that? It doesn't mean a deal is off but what it definitely means is that it's not as close as some people suggest here. Deal will still most likely happen but I think it's fairly obvious at this point that FdJ's wish is to stay and we are his fallback option if he is forced to leave.
Yes, we’ve always know that we’re only in with a chance of getting him because Barca need him to go. If they were financially stable then he’d be staying

Gandalf

FDJ will play if he doesn't want to move because Barcelona will need him numerically. Barcelona aren't in a good position here and there is no point for them to pretend too much. There is also the Dembélé experience where Laporta made his speach about players that aren't committed and yet he ended up playing because Xavi wanted and needed him.
The Dembele situation was different to this. In that case the players were registered and the threat to not play him was intended to browbeat Dembele into signing a contract extension which in January he was not prepared to do. In the end Xavi played him and he ended up renewing at Barca because the huge free transfer payday he anticipated did not materialize due to his injury and attitude concerns.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This is correct. It was deferred and there’s nothing “owing” to de Jong per se, except the last 4 years of his contract at a much higher rate when those deferred wages are factored into it.
Wow. If his lawyers didn't put it in writing that those increased wages were deferred wages, then he needs better lawyers.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
From The Muppetiers Discord. Been following them throughout this window and their reporting has been on the money.
Muppetiers have been pretty accurate on unvellings lately haha. Not sure about their transfer info, but it makes sense that Barca have given United permission to talk to de Jong as and when necessery.

JPRouve

Scout
So at what point after 2 months and now the player going away for a further 2+ weeks do you leave it then? Because starting the season without a midfielder seems like a complete failure.
Personally I don't care if he signs tomorrow or on deadline day, I don't consider this type of signing as short term and there is no sense in moving on mid July just to get an inferior player. The start of the season isn't a breaking point when the player is meant to ideally play 4 or 5 other starts of season. Now I would be working on deadline day alternatives.

Castia

Because he’s their player and he’ll honour his contract. Walking away now would be outrageous
I agree 100% from FdJ‘s point of view there’s zero chance he turns down the tour and rightly so but why are Barce taking him after agreeing a fee with us? (supposedly) I can’t seem to make any sense of that are they still trying to get out of paying these deferred wages? Seems ludicrous.

JPRouve

Scout
The Dembele situation was different to this. In that case the players were registered and the threat to not play him was intended to browbeat Dembele into signing a contract extension which in January he was not prepared to do. In the end Xavi played him and he ended up renewing at Barca because the huge free transfer payday he anticipated did not materialize due to his injury and attitude concerns.
Indeed. In the Dembélé situation they had even less reasons to cave because the players were registered, here they will need De Jong because he is registered and that the issue is that they can't register the new players.

Blood Mage

This was always going to drag on till the end of the window, a very complicated transfer and I question whether we should have indulged Ten Hag on this one. I mean, we might as well have spunked big money on Rice, too late for that now though.

the hea

I am sure the hold up is Barca and De Jongs agents negotiating how the deffered wage will be paid. De Jongs agents know Barca needs the income from the sale so they are only putting more pressure on Barca the longer they wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.