g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So at what point after 2 months and now the player going away for a further 2+ weeks do you leave it then? Because starting the season without a midfielder seems like a complete failure.
Some players you right for until the last second, or the next window if needed. Sancho was one, Frenkie is another. They're dream signings for positions of need. We got Sancho eventually, better late then never. Frenkie should be viewed as the same. He's a unique player, like Modrić in a lot of ways. Absolutely vital for ten hag to reach the top level. Sure there are always alternatives, but they are nothing more than place holders until we actually get Frenkie. Like I said - he's the dream signing for midfield for Ten Hag (and many fans like myself). If there was 1 midfielder i could sign, having free pick at any, he'd be right at the top of the list (along with tchouameni to be the dream partnership). Basically, you dont give up on those players. You go til you get them if they are realistic.

the_cliff

Literally every sports journalist is reporting that De Jong has no intention of joining us.
So why the feck haven’t moved on? This is the most bizarre transfer saga ever.
Because apparently he's told us something different in private. Just like Laporte has told everyone we don't need to sell him but apparently negotiated with us in private.

the_cliff

If they hadn’t already signed Kessie, Chistiansen, Raphinha and now probably Lewandowski I’d be skeptical.. but it’s got to the point they HAVE to sell him otherwise they aren’t getting registered.

He’ll definitely leave Barca (so him going on tour makes literally no difference) it’s a question whether or not anyone else comes in for him.. but then again I just don’t think he’d mess around ETH around like that.
Let me ask you this. Is Barcelona and Laporte moving like they have to do this ?

Smells like complete bullshit, So Lewa+Raphinha+Christansen+Kessie+Koundes wages don't add up to De Jongs wages ?

laughtersassassin

We can't afford to start the season with McFred bas our Midfield it simply is not an option.

Get this done to feck

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Let me ask you this. Is Barcelona and Laporte moving like they have to do this ?

Smells like complete bullshit, So Lewa+Raphinha+Christansen+Kessie+Koundes wages don't add up to De Jongs wages ?
That type of calculation is irrelevant. It's not about literally using De Jong's wages to pay other players. It's about their finances in it's entirety that's get assessed by the FA.

Gandalf

The FFP salary cap in La Liga is not complete bullshit and yes FDJ carries such a huge salary that they have to get it off the books. The new deals they are signing are structured in such a way to meet the FFP requirements but FDJ had a huge salary from the pre COVID regime and when you take that and add in the additional money from the deferred salary that kicks in this year he is their highest paid player by a country mile. Crazy as it sounds just getting FDJ off the books reduces that cap number enough to register 4 or 5 players.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think it's fairly clear what's holding up the deal. Barca are trying to wrangle out of paying him his wages he's owed. It can't be anything else.

I'd be astonished, even by our own terrible recent history, if we've gone all in on someone who has no intention of joining.

Bertie Wooster

I'm obviously hoping de Jong signs, because he's a quality player and our #1 target in the position.

But I've never really felt this one was all that imminent, with all the extra issues going along with the deal, and the ever changing, and often contradictory, reports each day.

So I've mostly been focusing on the Malacia, Eriksen and Martinez deals as they felt a lot more tantalisingly close to fruition. So I'm delighted those have got done now.

Having none, then just one, deal completed while this just dragged on made the whole scenario even more frustrating. But getting the other business successfully completed allows us to be more patient about this one dragging on.

Although I'm not really sure what positions we're looking at next? If any, until we know whether we're getting De Jong or not, and if Ronaldo is staying or leaving. I haven't really heard many realistic links to RB's, DM's, #9's, etc.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Literally every sports journalist is reporting that De Jong has no intention of joining us.
So why the feck haven’t moved on? This is the most bizarre transfer saga ever.
No, Sport are saying he has no intention of joining us.
What you're doing now is picking and choosing what you want to believe.

Teja

FdJ, given the way he renegotiated his contract with Barca, will make 90M fixed over 4 years (22.5M p/y). Not a stretch to say that'll pay for Raphinha (5.2M), Kessie (5.4M), Christensen (5.1M p/y) and will have plenty leftover to pay most of Lewa's salary.

If he walks, instead of making 90M next 4 years, he will make something like 73-75M (noone knows what United's contract offer is). A shortfall of 15-17M or so that Barca need to cover.

the_cliff

The FFP salary cap in La Liga is not complete bullshit and yes FDJ carries such a huge salary that they have to get it off the books. The new deals they are signing are structured in such a way to meet the FFP requirements but FDJ had a huge salary from the pre COVID regime and when you take that and add in the additional money from the deferred salary that kicks in this year he is their highest paid player by a country mile. Crazy as it sounds just getting FDJ off the books reduces that cap number enough to register 4 or 5 players.
Ok if that's the case then why are Barcelona and Laporte still signing players without FDJs future having been resolved, what if FDJ decides to just stay put without taking a pay cut ? do they have a 14 day cancellation policy on Raphinha ?

Either Barcelona and Laporte are batshit insane or they have something up their sleeve that will allow them to register players even if FDJ is still there, otherwise their transfer activity makes no sense. It would be better for them to use some of the fee United are paying them to just pay off the 17m owed to De Jong and get him out of the club.

Imagine signing lewa, Raphinha, Kessie and Kounde but you can't register them because you don't want to pay FDJ his 17m when you're getting around 70m from United anyway, shit makes no sense. You've also effectively wasted your whole summer and money on players that can't even play in the league for you just because of one man deciding he wants to stay. Aren't you supposed to resolve his future first ?

Last edited:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Ok if that's the case then why are Barcelona and Laporte still signing players without FDJs future having been resolved, what if FDJ decides to just stay put without taking a pay cut ? do they have a 14 day cancellation policy on Raphinha ?

Either Barcelona and Laporte are batshit insane or they have something up their sleeve that will allow them to register players even if FDJ is still there, otherwise their transfer activity makes no sense. It would be better for them to use some of the fee United are paying them to just pay off the 17m owed to De Jong and get him out of the club.
cause it's a done deal init. FDJ just doesn't know it yet

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I think this weekend we need to have a positive outcome or move on. I don’t think Barca’s money woes will end soon, so whether de Jong wants to come here or not, he won’t be forgoing his deferred salary - so this will drag on regardless.

Need to get our own house in order for start of season, badly need another midfield so need Plan B.

Ole'sattheWheel

So something I've wondered for a while but never really got the chance to bring up - here seems like a good place to ask.
What ever happened to it being illegal to "tap-up" players?

Didn't Chelsea or some other club get fined for it years ago?
What makes tapping up different to what happens with players nowadays (establish that the player wants to come and even have the personal terms agreed before negotiating with the player's club)?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
So something I've wondered for a while but never really got the chance to bring up - here seems like a good place to ask.

What makes tapping up different to what happens with players nowadays (establish that the player wants to come and even have the personal terms agreed before negotiating with the player's club)?
I think that’s associated more with players under 18 who can’t sign professional contracts yet.

phelans shorts

Any club that tries to complain at this point is just opening themselves up to getting dragged over the coals for it themselves.

mu4c_20le

I think that’s associated more with players under 18 who can’t sign professional contracts yet.
Nah, Liverpool did that with VVD and ended up paying extra to avoid a lawsuit. I think the obvious answer here is that the club can give permission, and they obviously didn't do that as they hadn't agreed a fee yet, but tried to get the player to hand in a transfer request to force a move.

jesperjaap

Some players you right for until the last second, or the next window if needed. Sancho was one, Frenkie is another. They're dream signings for positions of need. We got Sancho eventually, better late then never. Frenkie should be viewed as the same. He's a unique player, like Modrić in a lot of ways. Absolutely vital for ten hag to reach the top level. Sure there are always alternatives, but they are nothing more than place holders until we actually get Frenkie. Like I said - he's the dream signing for midfield for Ten Hag (and many fans like myself). If there was 1 midfielder i could sign, having free pick at any, he'd be right at the top of the list (along with tchouameni to be the dream partnership). Basically, you dont give up on those players. You go til you get them if they are realistic.
Cindy Crawford was my dream shag, but after 20years I had to draw the line she wasnt getting on my saddle.

In all seriousness, I agree with you and find it hard to believe him and Ten Hag havent had some kind of communication. So part of me feels is he was adamant about not coming, surely we would have moved on.....or regardless are the noises direct to us from Barca that they ave to move him on. Or is it about the money he is owed?

There are so many ifs and buts and who knows what reports are true, if there is any truth in his agent offering him to champions league clubs though, we should move on.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

That rule even applies at non-league very low-level clubs, even when the players don't get wages. It's always been a thing, but it's rarely adhered to nowadays I reckon.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Would actually be hilarious if he digs his heels in, refuses to be sold to anyone, and Barca are stuck in a position where they can't meet the wage cap or register all their new signings.

They must think that if he leaves there's some sort of loophole where they don't have to pay his missing wages. I can't think of what else it could be now.

Status
Not open for further replies.