g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal7

My entire point is that he isn’t some anchor dragging us back. In fact he’s been a very functional part of a very functional team that regular played in the Champions League, but morons have some agenda making out he’s a Sunday league player who’d struggle in the Championship, when he has rightly been a regular starter for us.

The last twelve months was the blip, and it was bad, everybody was. People need to put their bizarre desire for XYZ (primarily British lads, weirdly) to be scapegoats behind them. Lots of these players are going to be important parts of Ten Hag’s plans. More importantly most of them are better than Ruben bleeding Neves or Youri Tielemans.
Sorry but Mctominay is no where near as good as Neves or Tielemans, what planet are you living on. Can’t you just be happy that you got brexit and be a little more objective with your football?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Just reading the Carl Anka article on Frenkie and one thing stuck out to me and is absolutely true.

The decision has been forced upon him, but De Jong will not become a Manchester United player unless he chooses to be one.

dubplate warrior

I strongly disagree. McTominay has been a very important part of our team for a number of years, every bit as good as those around him.

Do I think we should improve if we can (see:Frenkie, although McTominay partnering him wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest) absolutely, but the idea that McTominay is dragging us back is bollocks.
He's very much part of the problem. The sooner we get rid of players as bad on the ball as him, the better.

For reference, he can't even get into the midfield in Scotland, he is a bottom half of the table player at best and its a joke he's had as many games for us as he's had.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Let me be clear here, I’m actually agreeing with you Laporta is playing the short game for his own ego and with the new FFP rules to come in from Uefa within the next two seasons where the club can only eventually spend 70% of it’s actual turnover on transfers, wages and agents fees. This will stop clubs trying to always buy success and put restrictions on state run clubs who can only invest up to £49m per season I believe

Let’s put that into perspective. united turn over £500m per season with last years wage bill of £325M(65%) we would have 5% left for transfers and agents. So we could have spent £25m last year or £20m net spend on a player and £5m agent fees.

Why do you think United and other clubs are trying to get so many big earners off the payroll. City are ahead of the game on this, growing their turnover, all be it by a shady Middle East bogus company, big transfers fees out and moderate ones in and a far more controlled wage structure than us. They would not sign Alexis Sanchez at 400k per week, Maguire at 250k or a 36 year old Ronaldo at 500k per week? La porta has no idea what’s coming because he just sees short term success and being lauded by the Barcelona members.

This is the real reason none of the top clubs want Christiano, no one wants £50m of wages for two years on your books when your about to be capped by UEFA from 24/25 season.
Fair enough. Guess I misunderstood you. Agree also on Ronaldo, who obviously is not a good investment for anyone. Not sure if the 2025 FFP rules apply on a team if he's only signed for 2 years and therefore leaves before that season. Nevertheless most teams simply can't afford those wages and on top of that he will destroy a teams chemistry. Unless Ronaldo would agree to a significant wage cut, there are barely any teams that would be able to afford him. If he would drop his wages, obviously there would be CL teams interested in him (Milan?). Probably only PSG could afford to take a gamble on him for a year or two on his current wages (or close to it). They also don't have any chemistry in their team anyway, so that won't stop them. I don't even think Real would want him back at this point. Let's hope for Cristiano's sake he won't have his manager exploring that option, might be painful for him.

phelans shorts

Sorry but Mctominay is no where near as good as Neves or Tielemans, what planet are you living on. Can’t you just be happy that you got brexit and be a little more objective with your football?
If you think I voted for brexit you have absolutely no clue :lol:

I’m objective, both are not footballers that will ever make waves. The same players calling for signing them now will be begging for them to be sold within 18 months.
He's very much part of the problem. The sooner we get rid of players as bad on the ball as him, the better.

For reference, he can't even get into the midfield in Scotland, he is a bottom half of the table player at best and its a joke he's had as many games for us as he's had.
Again, clueless.

International football is about getting the most out of as many players as you can. Scotland have a decent selection of central midfielders and poor defence, McTominay is one of the three best players capable of playing centre back, and the gap between him and number 4 is greater than the gap between him and the other midfielders, ergo they play how they do.

But hey, I’m checking out on this now because the pitchfork crew have spotted me and want to spout nonsense

dubplate warrior

If you think I voted for brexit you have absolutely no clue :lol:

I’m objective, both are not footballers that will ever make waves. The same players calling for signing them now will be begging for them to be sold within 18 months.

Again, clueless.

International football is about getting the most out of as many players as you can. Scotland have a decent selection of central midfielders and poor defence, McTominay is one of the three best players capable of playing centre back, and the gap between him and number 4 is greater than the gap between him and the other midfielders, ergo they play how they do.

But hey, I’m checking out on this now because the pitchfork crew have spotted me and want to spout nonsense
Probably because you're attacking people if they don't agree with you. He's a crap player, and symbolic of the kind of profile that's lead to our decline. Over-emphasis on physical attributes, rubbish and technically poor on the ball, academy lad so gets a free pass, unable to position himself off the ball either so constantly makes it difficult for his teammates looking for an option and for some reason protected by those in the media. Maybe its because he's British that folks protect him, because its certainly not for the football.

RopersReturn

Again, clueless.

[/QUOTE]

Conflating two different arguments here. On the one hand Scotland like many of the home nations, suffer from a shortage of decent young players to fulfill required roles.

But as rightly mentioned, McTominay lacks the necessary the skills and awareness to play at top level. He’s also of an age where he’s unlikely to improve.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

My entire point is that he isn’t some anchor dragging us back. In fact he’s been a very functional part of a very functional team that regular played in the Champions League, but morons have some agenda making out he’s a Sunday league player who’d struggle in the Championship, when he has rightly been a regular starter for us.

The last twelve months was the blip, and it was bad, everybody was. People need to put their bizarre desire for XYZ (primarily British lads, weirdly) to be scapegoats behind them. Lots of these players are going to be important parts of Ten Hag’s plans. More importantly most of them are better than Ruben bleeding Neves or Youri Tielemans.
McT is not in the same class as either of those. Where are you getting this from? I don’t say he can’t improve; I hope he does but frankly he’ll have to.

I don’t agree with those who think he is the worst player we’ve got but he is a long way from being good enough and a long way below both Neves and Tielemans, albeit different.

What McT does have is decent physical attributes and good work ethic. If used in a consistent way to suit his abilities he could improve but if FDJ comes and with Eriksen already here, I can’t see him getting into the team.

Keefy18

Are you surprised? They camp themselves in fan forums and copy the vibes from the fans
But yet when he says the deal is on and it'll happen its the gospel.

Now he's changing his opinion its akin to clickbait nonsense.

Right e oh.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But yet when he says the deal is on and it'll happen its the gospel.

Now he's changing his opinion its akin to clickbait nonsense.

Right e oh.
Why don’t you take a nice break out of this hot kitchen and come back when it’s all ready

besides we know thats exactly what they do as we’ve caught them out on multiple occasions writing stuff that they obviously read in here

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
There is a difference between a brief and an opinion piece mate.
The thing is, people will only believe what they want to believe. A lot of those thinking the deal is dead are believing the Sport tweets as gospel truth. It's just annoying now

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Muppet king is some accolade, well done Berba, you have my support 100% on this saga.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Muppet king is some accolade, well done Berba, you have my support 100% on this saga.
Just gotta keep the faith and see through the BS.
A lot of these tweets are pure opinion, or crap that Barca want you to hear.
This saga is far from done i think, but i don't see it dragging on until the end of the window. Someone will blink first, and i'd say it's Barca

OrcaFat

Personally I think Neves is Carrick like DM. Good at distributing the ball, good at reading the game. Teilemans is closer to the Erikson style player I reckon. Neves is an unspectacular player just like Carrick was and so just like Carrick I think he gets underrated. Been playing in a criminally defensive wolves team for years too. I’d love him here, even alongside De Jong.
Yeah Neves is much better than a lot of people think. I like him a lot but I’d see him as an alternative to FDJ not a partner for him. Either of those guys with Rice is the dream ticket.

Giggsy13

The kids are ready for minutes.
IF we don’t sign FDJ then it’s not the end of the world.
at the end of the day it’s about improving how we play. Kids might play the system as well as done half arsed plan B
This is what gets lost in the pessimism and obsession for new signings. We have an exciting group of young players coming with potentially more than a few capable of making a major impact. Having a proper manager in place will make this an exciting process.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I think it's obvious they will set up like that this season.

That tweet isn't referring to pre-season.
Aaaah ok then. So barca really are viewing things as de Jong is leaving, whether he like it or not (yes for those who question that, i know he can't be kicked out if he doesn't want too)

Status
Not open for further replies.