Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypriot

Its beginning to look like we really do have some poor negotiators at the club, it been suspected for some time but this seems to be the clincher, once the other side understand there are no circumstances where you will walk away from the deal. They just dig in!

I hope this guy can 'walk on water', because it seems we are going to pay the earth to get him (including what Barca owe him) as well as grovelling into the bargain.

Wonder what the reaction will be in the United dressing room to all this?
Why would they care? Their job is to play football, not worry about the finances of the club.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Have you read this? It actually is a post that backs what we have been saying.
It backs nothing. There's no new info to back your stance. It's just further reinforcement using the same old info that we already know. Luckhurst will basically reword this a few weeks after if de Jong isn't a United player by then, and we'll be having the same old conversations.

It'll be a job well done for Luckhurst, though, who's probably reading the Caf and r/reddevils to see what can get him the most engagement.

Anustart89

Its beginning to look like we really do have some poor negotiators at the club, it been suspected for some time but this seems to be the clincher, once the other side understand there are no circumstances where you will walk away from the deal. They just dig in!

I hope this guy can 'walk on water', because it seems we are going to pay the earth to get him (including what Barca owe him) as well as grovelling into the bargain.

Wonder what the reaction will be in the United dressing room to all this?
We’ve reportedly walked away from Timber and Brobbey in the past three weeks due to the players preferring Ajax. Not sure your argument is valid.

Not like Sancho’s protracted saga that spanned over 12 months seems to have made him persona non grata in the dressing room, has it?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It backs nothing. There's no new info to back your stance. It's just further reinforcement using the same old info that we already know. Luckhurst will basically reword this a few weeks after if de Jong isn't a United player by then, and we'll be having the same old conversations.

It'll be a job well done for Luckhurst, though, who's probably reading the Caf and r/reddevils to see what can get him the most engagement.
Pretty much the essence of it yeah.

RkkMan

Have you read this? It actually is a post that backs what we have been saying.

If he truly wanted to be a United player, he would have been one by now and if he remains in Catalonia this will have been a far greater embarrassment for United than the Fabregas farce. "

All evidence points to the contrary. "I prefer to stay," De Jong said in May. He called Barcelona his "dream club" in June.

Dursun is believed to have informed Barcelona De Jong does not want to leave, only Barcelona want to sell him. United suspected that pressure would cause De Jong to fold.

It is quite clear that Manutd are hoping that Barca pay De Jong £17m. Its quite simple actually, Barca would rather keep him than pay him £17m. The £17m if he leaves will have to be a lump sum, or if he stays is paid over the duration of his contract.

So 2 things, De Jong doesnt want to leave and barca wont pay him to leave, = De Jong most likely staying.
Remember when Robben said he couldn't wait to play with Ronaldo but got kicked out by Madrid anyway? Or how Sneijder was famously forced out too? De Jong talking about being happy at Barcelona is exactly the same type of standard procedure as them. And that was when the transfer was in its infancy behind the scenes things are probably not the same in that same interview he said he has no preference where he wants to go and that if a club called him with interest he'd listen
On the bolded part you have no evidence of this. If they prefer to keep him why have they agreed a fee with Utd? Because they'd just shove us off if it was clear they have to do it if they didn't want to. It's a case of who blinks first and like De Jong Barcelona will drag things as much as possible till they're faced with a decision to make. With their levers coming in time will tell

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why would FDJ want to stay at Barca when they've made it clear they want him to leave? It doesn't make any sense.
If he stays, he'll still be registered and will stay likely be a starter just like he always has been since he joined. And he'll get paid his increased wages which Barca want to avoid, but can't do anything about. My guess is he is open to leaving, provided he gets paid what he feels he is owed but might not be contractually obligated to.

Either way, he's too good of a player where Barca won't bench him if they keep him, so he probably is fine with either option.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Truthfully none of us know how this might pan out. The bigger question now is how much are we willing to RISK playing next season without a really decent midfielder. I would say we simply can't allow that happen so at some point we need to move on Neves whether we like it or not, at which point this farce ends.

I would suggest that time is very close, if not now.

Cypriot

Truthfully none of us know how this might pan out. The bigger question now is how much are we willing to RISK playing next season without a really decent midfielder. I would say we simply can't allow that happen so at some point we need to move on Neves whether we like it or not, at which point this farce ends.

I would suggest that time is very close, if not now.
We've done it for a while now, what's one more season? :wenger:

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
This chat uses a lot of ''clear", "by definition", "100%" and "certain".

I think he'll still come, and I think Barça is probably horribly led. They've yammered themselves out of more immoral business before, so could even be a chance that he'll stay and they CAN actually register the new fellas.

Then again, all words "by Frenkie" were said by someone else (mostly guess-work and no more than alleged inside information), so whether he really wants to stay is still up in the air and not based on a single factor I assume. Meanwhile, Laporta and Alemany both said they wanted him to stay, but had a lot of difficulty in saying those sentences without big BUTs. Which would seem to favor the stance of the anacondas in this chat.

Outside of the fact I prefer Man Utd to Barça, on a personal and player profile level I really hope he makes the move. It's getting sad to see him used as the Donny rather than the Frenkie of a team. For Barça I assume Gavi, Nico and Kessié would all be more natural Donny's than Frenkie is, and in the 4-3-3 next to Pedri and Busquets that seems to be the preferential fill-up right now. Meanwhile Man Utd only has Donny's, so many in fact that Donny himself simply won't get any minutes.

Maticmaker

We’ve reportedly walked away from Timber and Brobbey in the past three weeks due to the players preferring Ajax. Not sure your argument is valid.
Sorry I thought in those cases we were shown the door, not left voluntarily.

Strelok

It’s quite simple, really.

1. Barca need Frenkie to leave so they can register new players and meet the LaLiga salary cap requirements
2. Barca owe Frenkie back wages and are refusing to pay them
3. If Frenkie says he wants to go to United, he loses his leverage in the wages battle, so he’s saying he wants to stay
4. Thereby forcing Barca to either pay the deferred wages, or run the risk of not being able to register new signings Kessie, Raphinha, Lewandowski, Christiansen, etc.
5. United & Barca have agreed to terms; FDJ and United have agreed to terms

Barca will eventually capitulate as they run the risk of undoing some of the signings they have made if FDJ stays. Also, they’ll have an unhappy player. Barca treats their players like shit, they are world class crybabies (remember the Neymar release clause whining) and they will do anything to destabilize their rivals.

It’s a giant game of chicken that Barca will eventually lose.
Pretty much this.

No player would want to stay after being treated that way. Feck Barca what a shitty club.

RkkMan

Yes and the part I'm reading doesn't read like opinion. Rather the basis for which he forms his opinion.
No

Acquire Me

Barca don't even appear to be forcing him out. I think they've probably accepted his stance and will try to make him so happy that he negotiates down on his salary in the future.
If that’s right we would see a press conference with Barca and FdJ. This is not over.

georgipep

No its not the same as Lewa, as Lewa and Bayern made sure this was sorted before they flew out to their pre season camp. Its different.

Why would Barca need our fee after they have bought players? They will get the 100% fee, it was how they can use it to buy other players.
Exactly. Because I assume their incoming deals are structured in a way to rely on them getting 100% of the money we pay them. And that can only happen after the 30 July (and how ever long the La Liga review process takes).

As for Lewa, if I'm not mistaken he did get on the Bayern pre-season flight and was transferred the next day. Thus giving him as example

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Barca don't even appear to be forcing him out. I think they've probably accepted his stance and will try to make him so happy that he negotiates down on his salary in the future.
They're just kicking the can down the road. It's the same with the levers, they still need to drastically reduce costs and they're happy to put the pressure on everyone else but them, Xavi, his agent, him, United.

I Am Zlatan

It’s really hard to believe that we would go this far, and continue working on the deal for this long without the assurance that FDJ would join.. especially since ETH is supposedly in constant contact with him, even if he’s not, I’m sure Frenkie would’ve told ETH that he’s not coming and we would have moved on.. not saying that it would happen (because of the wages situation) but it’s only logical that we have some type positive talks with FDJ, otherwise we would have moved on.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don't even get the point he's making about the Luckhurst article. That he'll repeat it all in a few weeks? He's saying it's stuff we already knew, so why has nobody been talking about the fact that we're negotiating in the hope that Barca can force him out? That's new information (although I said I suspected as much).

If that’s right we would see a press conference with Barca and FdJ. This is not over.
To announce what? That they are no longer selling him? Maybe they won't and they'll just continue with their pre-season.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think everyone is getting tired of the saga, regardless of whatever we believe.

The key thing for me isn't the *believed* sentiment, its more so this

I've said throughout, we wouldn't go near FDJ but for Barca's financial problems. We're the only club dumb enough to consider transfer negotiations on a top player of theirs this summer, it's a freakin minefield, but here we are.

We are relying on Barca folding and finding a way, some way to force a player out who wants to ideally remain there.

We've just removed 2 players that don't want to be here (Pogba, Lingard), now we've Ronaldo openly courting other clubs and showing he doesn't want to be here... but its perfectly fine for us to chase a player hoping "pressure" causes a club to fold and lose a top talent?
Yes and the part I'm reading doesn't read like opinion. Rather the basis for which he forms his opinion.
As with all of his opinion pieces, Luckhurst nitpicks specific info that he's gotten to form the basis of his opinions. He basically ignored the info about de Jong being open to leaving Barcelona (reported not just by the United journalists but also the Barcelona ones) on top of ten Hag being in contact with the player's camp to allay his concerns. He also ignored info about the deferred wage payments stalling the deal altogether.

Sure, de Jong wants to stay, but he's also open to leaving the club as reported multiple times in the past. Ignoring this and other info in our favour is dishonest and frankly something that an opposition fan would do.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
So basically we expect all transfers to be done in public now and clubs have to behave in a certain way? Can you tell me one transfer which has been done fully in the public eye where everything has been put out there for all to see?

What's happening internally will not be what's being fed to the media, and I bet if we knew exactly what was going on everything would make sense to us as to why we're sticking around.

Also people asking for a quote about de Jong personally assuring ten Hag he's going to come... are you seriously asking for one? You honestly think ten Hag will tell the press anything like that? Or even de Jong for that matter. I think some people are so convinced this is dead and buried that they dismiss anything positive as lies. United wouldn't stick around with no assurances.

Luckhurt is basically giving his opinion in the piece this morning, pretty much nothing more there.

pocco

loco
They're just kicking the can down the road. It's the same with the levers, they still need to drastically reduce costs and they're happy to put the pressure on everyone else but them, Xavi, his agent, him, United.
Yeah that's what I think. Sweeten him up and then during the season make a play for him to reduce his salary out of love for the club yada yada.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The thing that is making it difficult is I'd bet that nothing is contractually owed, but when he renegotiated his contract, it was simply an increase later on, with no stipulation of what happens if he leaves. So now it's him feeling like he's owed that money, but not contractually bound to it. So he can stay and pick it up, or Barca can come to some agreement with him to get him off the books but pay him off instead of holding the wages. De Jong holds the power - he'll play if he stays and get paid, or he comes to United and gets paid by Barca. Up to Barca to decide to pay him what he feels he is owed.
I won't pretend to know the details of this deferred wages nonsense, but Barca clearly owe him something.

Yeah, I'm sure Xavi will continue to play him if he stays, but would you want to play for a club that want you out? Pride alone suggests not.

romufc

I mean if you read it you will realise it backs the point that De Jong wants to stay. Again, agreed there is no new information, the same information we knew months ago that he doesn't want to leave.

Which is what is concerning, the caf being hell bent on him coming based on "assurances" over conversations with Ten Hag, yet the stance is De Jong wants to stay.

pocco

loco
As with all of his opinion pieces, Luckhurst nitpicks specific info that he's gotten to form the basis of his opinions. He basically ignored the info about de Jong being open to leaving Barcelona (reported not just by the United journalists but also the Barcelona ones) on top of ten Hag being in contact with the player's camp to allay his concerns. He also ignored info about the deferred wage payments stalling the deal altogether.

Sure, de Jong wants to stay, but he's also open to leaving the club as reported multiple times in the past. Ignoring this and other info in our favour is dishonest and frankly something that an opposition fan would do.
He's ignored that for obvious reasons ie because his info says different. He's saying his agent has informed Barcelona that he wants to stay.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yeah that's what I think. Sweeten him up and then during the season make a play for him to reduce his salary out of love for the club yada yada.
That's way to big of a risk for Barca. They can't afford his wages for next season so it'll either be reduce them now, or get rid however they can.

If de Jong refuses to leave and expects Barca to honour his current contract, well they're just screwed really

He's ignored that for obvious reasons ie because his info says different. He's saying his agent has informed Barcelona that he wants to stay.
Pretty sure Sport said the same the other day, wonder where he got his info from. He's picking and chosing what he wants to report, nothing more nothing less

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dangerous game though, if he just says no, they'll likely be breaking their salary cap.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Every start of the week - reports that he doesn't want to leave, mid-week - reports that United received reassurances that he wants to join. Rinse and repeat.

FDJ cannot weaken his position in the current Salary negotiations, so his agent will continue saying that he doesn't want to leave until they pay him. Normal business conduct.

Zlatans Knee

I would far rather that we got someone like Tielemans who would play his heart out for the club and spend the rest of the money on a top class attacker. Between this and the Ronaldo soap opera it is just boring at this stage.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Because he is entitled to nothing if he leaves. Why would he want to throw away silly money?
Unless of course, some other club is stupid enough to settle the dispute by compensating him.
I thought United had agreed to cover the owed wages when the transfer fee suddenly rose to £75 million + a futher 10 in addons overnight. But I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He wouldn't use the "is believed" part to state that if it was his info. Journalists use that phrase to portray info that's not their own without necessarily attributing the others (or if there are too many people to attribute). Matt Law and Ducker both use it as well in their pieces. If this was indeed info that he got, he'd go with "sources indicate" or something to that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.