Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldanoGraham

He will only go as a piece in a Barca transfer domino - he won’t be going anywhere unless Barca hook themselves up with some more serious wages…..unless there are some strong comments from the player himself then this is all just hearsay

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Goretzka, Kimmich, Gravenberch, Sabitzer, Roca and Frenkie? Why

Muller/Musiala as CAM's.

Anustart89

What exactly makes people think that he won’t be another di Maria if he signed for us? I mean, he obviously doesn’t want to leave Barca and seems to be getting pushed out. Is he inherently more professional than AdM, and is that obvious ahead of time? I’d rather not go for a player who doesn’t want to be here, regardless of quality…

dutchred

What exactly makes people think that he won’t be another di Maria if he signed for us? I mean, he obviously doesn’t want to leave Barca and seems to be getting pushed out. Is he inherently more professional than AdM, and is that obvious ahead of time? I’d rather not go for a player who doesn’t want to be here, regardless of quality…
I doubt it. He is very professional and he knows Erik

Anustart89

I doubt it. He is very professional and he knows Erik
Fair enough.

I’m just wondering if di Maria’s lack of professionalism was a well-known thing before he was put in a place he didn’t want to be though?

Sir Erik ten Hag

That's the risk which comes from taking on players being pushed out. For every Di Maria, there is a Robben. Do you think Wesley Sneijder wanted to quit Real Madrid and joined Inter Milan? It didn't stop him from a treble at Inter with Mourinho. Similar to Eto: Being pushed out of Barcelona to make space for Ibrahimovic, he responded in kind with crazy workrate and effectiveness for Inter.

So it is not the same case for every player who is pushed out of their preferred club unwillingly. We need to look at the context. And De Jong's context is he would have his old manager, the one who elevated him to the highest point of form in his career, right here at Manchester United. And Ten Hag, who seems to value work ethics to a high degree, thinks greatly of De Jong too.

Anustart89

That's the risk which comes from taking on players being pushed out. For every Di Maria, there is a Robben. Do you think Wesley Sneijder wanted to quit Real Madrid and joined Inter Milan? It didn't stop him from a treble at Inter with Mourinho. Similar to Eto: Being pushed out of Barcelona to make space for Ibrahimovic, he responded in kind with crazy workrate and effectiveness for Inter.

So it is not the same case for every player who is pushed out of their preferred club unwillingly. We need to look at the context. And De Jong's context is he would have his old manager, the one who elevated him to the highest point of form in his career, right here at Manchester United. And Ten Hag, who seems to value work ethics to a high degree, thinks greatly of De Jong too.
I suppose the points about EtH’s values would lead to him not sanctioning the move if he had doubts about the player’s professionalism.

The difference for me in terms of the examples you mention is the economic risk being taken. FdJ would cost about half of our transfer budget whereas Robben was €25m and Sneijder €15m. At that price I’d obviously not hesitate for one second.

prateik

We have so many areas to address.. There is no point waiting over a big money signing like this.. Make our best offer and either sign him or move on..

If we had only 1 signing to make, I could understand considering overpaying, or dragging it on.. We don't have that luxury.. we cant waste money here.

Start getting players in..

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
We have so many areas to address.. There is no point waiting over a big money signing like this.. Make our best offer and either sign him or move on..

If we had only 1 signing to make, I could understand considering overpaying, or dragging it on.. We don't have that luxury.. we cant waste money here.

Start getting players in..
honestly I think we’ll know early next week the way this will go.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I doubt we will spend the whole sumner chasing him. If this isn't dine in the next couple of weeks, don't think it will happen.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally don’t care how expensive players are.

The expensiveness comes from us as a club rather than the player itself.

Players will always be expensive coming to United.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Muller/Musiala as CAM's.
Gravenberch has potential, Sabitzer showed nothing, Roca is being sold, Tolisso is gone.
Still i don’t see FDJ at Bayern.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Gravenberch has potential, Sabitzer showed nothing, Roca is being sold, Tolisso is gone.
Still i don’t see FDJ at Bayern.
You'd still have Goretzka, Kimmich, de Jong. For me, 3 top 10 midfielders. All of them should start at a football club.

I find it such a shame that the likes of Isco have chosen to just be a role player. Not that this is the same and fair enough he's won his trophies, but as a romanticist, he should and could have been a star player for a top team. Just not for Real with all their other superstars at the time.

Gravenberch is already easily good enough to be 3rd or 4th midfielder at Bayern.

PoTMS

£60m and the player wants the move or we move on. We don't have a infinite budget as we know all too well. And seriously, I'm fed up of United having to convince players to join us. There's still plenty of players that would jump at the chance of joining United, we just always have to shop at Harrods.

RkkMan

Some positives to take from this.
The fact that it may not be an impossible task to change his mind and that we still seem to be working on the deal behind the scenes which is an indication Utd feel it can be done. Suspect we'd have walked away completely had we gotten word Barca won't sell at all or that FDJ has zero interest in coming.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Muller/Musiala as CAM's.
Not to mention that Goretzka and Kimmich just got a new deal and they are one of their top earners.

They don’t need FDJ indeed. If they want Kimmich‘s backup they wouldn’t spend big money fees and high wages, Laimer would have been more suitable for Kimmich’s backup as he’s much cheaper and reasonable wages for backup.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
£60m and the player wants the move or we move on. We don't have a infinite budget as we know all too well. And seriously, I'm fed up of United having to convince players to join us. There's still plenty of players that would jump at the chance of joining United, we just always have to shop at Harrods.
Of course you have to convince players to join because it’s their professional career, some players are looking for winning in their professional career. Players don’t just join clubs for random or simple reason, they want to know what is the club’s project and the plan to execute the project. That’s how you properly convince players.

AndySmith1990

I get that the club feel we can go lower due to Barcelonas financial situation, but I hope we don't take the piss with derogatory offers.

Also having to convince him to join is understandable given the mess we're in. It doesn't automatically mean he'll be another Di Maria, it's just sensible to seek reassurances that we'll not be repeating the mistakes of old and we actually have a plan and the desire to compete for trophies.

RkkMan

We're not that club anymore. After the season we just had it shouldn't be a shock we have to convince players of a certain caliber they're not walking into a poisoned chalice.
Yes there's other Midfielders that would want to join but how many possess the quality of FDJ or the assurance they'd settle into a Ten Hag system as quickly as FDJ? We ain't getting Rice, Tchouameni or Phillips so if there's a chance we can get De Jong even the slightest we're not in a position to say no.
I'd rather he be our only midfield signing for £60/65m than sign two average midfielders for £40m or thereabout

Bestie07

I am not buying the Bayern rumours. Bayern are pretty well stacked in that area already to go and drop a big wad of cash on another midfielder when they also have to look for Lewandowski's and possibly Gnabry's replacement.

Then there is the question of whether or not de Jong will be a player who would even fit in Bayern's system. I just don't see it happening.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He needs to be convinced? I've said this before, but this screams of Di Maria.

rbnZz

Imo Xavi wants to get rid of him because of the financial problems. Sell De Jong for 60-80 mil and buy Soler for 25-30 mil. Fits better in their system and they are able to buy another player. Frenkie knows Ten Hag, he knows how Ten Hag would like to play. Premier League is still the best competition in the world. Would be a win/win for everybody.

El Presidente

He needs to be convinced? I've said this before, but this screams of Di Maria.
Have you seen our trajectory? Europa League? I'd be worried if there wasn't such a need, especially if clubs like Bayern are involved.
We need to be honest with ourselves and where we are as a club. History matters little when you know you'll spend years of your career just catching up with the rest.

Keyser

The AdM comparisons are so annoyingly lazy, he was having dinner when people smashed their way in to his house in front of his wife and kids, I can see how that would put you off a location

If he comes who else should we sign to partner him? One of McFred isn’t going to cut it, he needs a new partner.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We're literally the only team that's a real viable option now. With City seemingly not interested and Bayern not going to pay the money Barca need, I am growing more confident on this. I think it will shape how we spend the rest of the budget as well, so I can understand why it's not been wrapped up very quickly - if he is interested that is.

Volksie316

Nothing good can come from this.

He doesn’t want to join us and will only move if forced(Di Maria)

If he does join, then that’s a lot of our budget gone, on 1 player.

We never fecking learn and it’s so infuriating and amateurish.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think it would also be so important for Ten Hag to have the confidence and trust of one of the key players from the start who fully embodies and supports his way of playing.

Both for De Jong who's major strenghts were compromised by his role at Barca to be reunited with the manager who got the best out of him and for Ten Hag so have a central key player who trusts him, it sounds ideal...

retired_muppet

I suppose the points about EtH’s values would lead to him not sanctioning the move if he had doubts about the player’s professionalism.

The difference for me in terms of the examples you mention is the economic risk being taken. FdJ would cost about half of our transfer budget whereas Robben was €25m and Sneijder €15m. At that price I’d obviously not hesitate for one second.
Back then, €25m paid for Robben was ⅓ of Bayern Munich transfer budget.
He was the 3rd most expensive player ever bought by Bayern at the time. Only eclipsed by Ribery and Gomez at €30m.

Inter also spent ⅓ of their summer transfer budget on Eto'o and Sneijder.

Status
Not open for further replies.