Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Stone literally has a piece out this afternoon stating a broad agreement is in place for de Jong. The hold up is either Barcelona or the player himself, this is not Murtough's fault. I am sure Ten Hag was presented with targets and this is the one he has identified. He knows de Jong better than Murtough. He can text de Jong, they're on a first name basis. I am sure United are holding their nerve because they feel this can materialise.
Stones piece said the agreement on the bonus structure is not agreed. So a deal is not agreed.

Also if we have spent all this time negotiating with Barca without going after plan B and De Jong is not interested that is on Murtough.

A manager can ask for Messi is up to the club to spend time on realistic and achievable transfers.

So before waisting time with Barca Im sure Murtough and team have got the green light from De Jong and his agent. Otherwise they are complete idiots

afatzp

I really hope this is the last time we deal with Barca for any sort. They are cheap, crafty, dishonest, and fraudulent.

Basically they first lured players in with all crazy inflated contracts and promises, then later they can do whatever to lower their offers, dishonor owned debt , kick players in bin if no use at all.

If they became any success, that would set a terrible example and all decency and business rules in football world collapse.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Don't get me wrong, I like ETH, I was at the forefront of calling for his appointment and I have great faith in and still support him. BUT I am fecking mad he got us entangled in this FDJ mess with the clowns at Barcelona. Without his insistence on him and refusal to budge we'd have moved on a month ago and still brought in useful players, now we are where were in May, four weeks from the start of the season and facing the prospect of doing a Moyes-Fellaini debacle when we can least afford it.
Can someone please explain to me how this is a Fabregas/Fellaini style moment?

Fabregas - We wanted the player, Barca said no, we didn't take no for an answer and continued to bid even though they told us flat out he wasn't for sale, both privately and through the media. We just kept pushing for something that was never ever going to happen. We ended up with Fellaini as a desperation signing after getting no one all summer.

de Jong - We want the player, Barca admit to us privately they want to sell and we've agreed a deal in principle, but they're building a narrative through the media that they want him to stay but in order to do so, he'll need to reduce his salary. de Jong says he wants to stay, but he or his agent must be giving ETH some kind of assurances that he wants the move, even if not publically saying so. We've already signed Malacia and we're close to signing Eriksen and are in talks for Martinez, Antony and presumably Dybala.

It's a completely different scenario

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wouldn't Barca be doing more to push him out the door publicly in that case?

So what are the commitments of Barca then, and when would he need to be reimbursed? If that's not due anytime soon, then why would he leave and forego all that's owed him? And if Barca have to pay him if he stays or not, why would they sell?

*Edit - Cheeky bid for Gavi?
That's the thing, they have to pay him what he's owed as deferred payments. They don't want to and want to get out of it. They are essentially telling him if he wants to stay, he has to restructure his contract to both lower his salary and forego the salary that he deferred (basically... Give up on probably 40m over the next 4 years). So if he were to leave, they would owe him simply what he deferred. Which they are still trying to get out of or find a work around.

A lot of unique contractual details to sort out it makes sense why it's taking long. And Barca are public with it. "He's not for sale but his contract can't be the same as it is now" is basically what they're saying. All the comments Laporta makes come with "buts", referring always to financial obligations and contracts, as their spin is ultimately going to be "Frenkie picked money over Barca".

Nickelodeon

I can't remember Liverpool trying this hard to get a player to sign for them because Liverpool never tried to buy them from Barca, Madrid, Bayern (they were already successful when they got Thiago and I was straight forward) or the likes, the players they got all jumped at the chance to move there and all they needed to do was agree a deal with the selling club, we'll never learn at United.
They wanted Van Dijk. Got reported by Southampton and then were publicly humiliated. Signed him for 6 months for a then world record fee for a defender. If the player is right, no reason not to go all out for him. It’s getting the right player which has been the challenge for us.

Cassidy

Shocking post. From a commercial point of view we are excellently run in fact. Barcelona is a different story.
Who is talking commercials. We are not a well rub club.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So are they refusing to sell him unless he lets the owed money go?? Surely that’s illegal :lol:

Rolaholic

So basically it's being held up by Barca looking to feck him over because they're skint

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Stones piece said the agreement on the bonus structure is not agreed. So a deal is not agreed.

Also if we have spent all this time negotiating with Barca without going after plan B and De Jong is not interested that is on Murtough.

A manager can ask for Messi is up to the club to spend time on realistic and achievable transfers.

So before waisting time with Barca Im sure Murtough and team have got the green light from De Jong and his agent. Otherwise they are complete idiots
Ducker has just put out a piece stating the hold up is the deferred wages owed to de Jong. So guess this is Barcelona's issue. Not Murtough. Not Man Utd.

Even when dealing with a worse run club, Man Utd still getting the blame here.

SydneyRoughDiamond

How are Barcelona passing the ffp rules with this much debt ? Also, leaking de Jong’s contract is in breach of GDPR rules surely ? How are they getting away with that?

sewey89

This is clearly on though. I don’t give a feck how much you ‘love’ a club… you don’t take kind to them taking the piss out of you.

Every chance that we pay some of this to FDJ as one of the ‘add ons’ I suspect

El-Manos

Who is talking commercials. We are not a well rub club.
We have brought in the wrong players and have made the wrong managerial appointments as a football club but as a business: we have been highly successful. Surely you’re not disputing that? Barcelon on the other hand have been handing out contracts to players they can’t afford.

sewey89

The €20m that was quoted as the clubs being apart in add ons, equates to around £17m.. I think they’re trying to get us to pay Frenkie what he’s owed

Cassidy

Since this transfer got stuck over the commercial side, it's a very valid point.

They pissed it all away while being successful, we're absolutely loaded while barely remembering success
I’m sure the poster was not just talking about this transfer

Trex

They wanted Van Dijk. Got reported by Southampton and then were publicly humiliated. Signed him for 6 months for a then world record fee for a defender. If the player is right, no reason not to go all out for him. It’s getting the right player which has been the challenge for us.
Van Dijk absolutely wanted the move, De Jong would rather stay at Barca that's the difference.
Van Dijk scenario would be more like the Antony scenario.

Stinkypete

Supposedly the scouting structure was completely revamped 2 years ago with one of the Glazers bragging that they had a feck-ton of players in their database, etc.

But here we are.:(
As I understand it, the database was through a company called Wyscout, rather than a database gathered and collaborated by our own Scouting network.

buchansleftleg

This is huge! So it's not our fault!
And that's the key thing. The "repayment" of this money Barca owe to Frenkie has to be included in the sale agreement so everything is above board and we don't get money disappearing.

Barca won't like having to set some absolute dates / payment schedules until they have got in who they want and have brow beaten enough players to take a pay cut or leave the club.

This is going to down to the wire for that reason. Everything else is just tele-novela grandstanding from Barca.

Cassidy

Ducker has just put out a piece stating the hold up is the deferred wages owed to de Jong. So guess this is Barcelona's issue. Not Murtough. Not Man Utd.

Even when dealing with a worse run club, Man Utd still getting the blame here.
It doesn’t matter what the hold up is. If we passed on alternatives and end up not signing him is Murtoughs fault not Barca due diligence is part of completing large deals.

We lost Pogba and Matic and already had a whole at DM. If we don’t sign him and we don’t have alternatives its our fault

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The €20m that was quoted as the clubs being apart in add ons, equates to around £17m.. I think they’re trying to get us to pay Frenkie what he’s owed
Good observation. Bit torn on this, would hope the club tells them to get fecked and pay their debt, but that would be akin to walking away

Dempsey19

Absolutely. I'm not a lawyer, mind
Well I presume Barca are trying to feck him over saying if he stays he has to take wage cut and potentially lose those deferred wages. Or if he joins us he has to lose the deferred wages.

Either way I think he will have a case against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.