Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

That first point makes absolutely no sense. The plural of money is money. Using “monies” just makes you come across as a 7 year old.

I don’t know for definite the exact amount. The latest report had it at 19 million euros, most reports were of 17 million but I don’t know for certain which it is. What I do know is that if I felt like I were owed a sum anywhere close to either of them then I’d be doing everything in my power to get it.
Monies is a formal term and it usually means a specific transaction. For example, I sold goods to You and we agreed that you pay for shipping as well. The total amount for transaction X is the monies he owes me. If we enter formal correspondence about transaction X, when we say "the monies" we mean this specific amount for this specific deal.

"Monies" is also the plural of "money". Yes, the word "money" is a countable noun, but its countability has fallen out of use and it's generally used as uncountable now.

Also, "monies" can mean any form of payment - "money" means hard cash, but that is similarly falling out of use.

Bestietom

Monies is a formal term and it usually means a specific transaction. For example, I sold goods to You and we agreed that you pay for shipping as well. The total amount for transaction X is the monies he owes me. If we enter formal correspondence about transaction X, when we say "the monies" we mean this specific amount for this specific deal.

"Monies" is also the plural of "money". Yes, the word "money" is a countable noun, but its countability has fallen out of use and it's generally used as uncountable now.

Also, "monies" can mean any form of payment - "money" means hard cash, but that is similarly falling out of use.
Thank you. But watch out, this guy is a know all, and likes to correct everyones text. Nothing else to do.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes exactly. The weather and the lifestyle won't be a deciding factor in this kind of complex situation.
That isn't necessarily true: plenty of people despise shite weather they were raised in and if they had the choice would live in sunnier climes in a heartbeat.

Aussie_Red_Devil

At the end of this FDJ needs to find himself a new agent, surely if he was deferring so much in wages, a good agent would have had something written in thereto protect him.

Kostov

That isn't necessarily true: plenty of people despise shite weather they were raised in and if they had the choice would live in sunnier climes in a heartbeat.
Yes probably is true for some people. And other people actually like weather that you describe as "shit" more than sunnier climates.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Frenkie’s hardline stance is apparently that Barça have two choices, pay him 80m or so over the next four years, or pay him 17-20m now for him to consider a move. The 17-20 is what they feel is owed due to them renegotiating his deal with Barça in 2020 to help out the club during Covid by taking a deal with a drastically reduced wage for 2020-21 and 21-22.
How about Barcelona just waiting for the next transfer window right after the world cup.

If FdJ plays for Barcelona like last year and had great world cup, I'm sure there will be more teams being interested in him.
Barcelona might be able to sell him for a higher fee compensating the 6 months of salary. FdJ might get an offer from a club he will be more keen to join than United.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes probably is true for some people. And other people actually like weather that you describe as "shit" more than sunnier climates.
Clearly not the person in question, though. Which is the crux of the matter.

It isn't a crime or something to be held against him, but the weather can play a huge part in moves to and from clubs/countries. A huge part of the allure in going to a Spanish or Italian giant was getting paid a massive wage alongside fantastic standards of living and marvellous weather. It's a package lots of players jump(ed) at the chance of having.

The PL has pulled it back somewhat with the broader earning potential, but some players will always have that preference and won't joyfully or wilfully give it up.

Last edited:

Redcy

How about Barcelona just waiting for the next transfer window right after the world cup.

If FdJ plays for Barcelona like last year and had great world cup, I'm sure there will be more teams being interested in him.
Barcelona might be able to sell him for a higher fee compensating the 6 months of salary. FdJ might get an offer from a club he will be more keen to join than United.
it’s a risk given they don’t really want to play him in midfield, what withbiscuits and Pedri in there, leaving one spot for him across 4 players. In defense he is third choice cb at best. FdJ is also on huge wages in the mean time, they would have to pay him around 8m for 6 months, and if money is the problem they could assume he isn’t changing his mind on that soon? FdJ value is unlikely to go up by 25m, if he isn’t playing much then definitely not, and maybe a chance he doesn’t get much game at the WC if he is not playing?

who else but united could afford him? Chelsea, City, Liverpool, real, inter, juve, atletico? If they don’t takeUnited’s offer they have to know there is limited chance anyone else could get him.

They could do that, if he even plays in the WC when they bench him at CB. Or he picks up an injury in training, it’s a risk.

I’m sure he’d go Munich, or Liverpool, or City if they came in now, so Barcelona could simply drop the asking price now to get them involved. Much less risky.

Josep Dowling

That’s just not true.
We had Danny Murphy talking about this just the other day, when a player moves, they agree a severance package with the current club. If for example a player like Murphy is moving from Liverpool to Charlton, he’s likely to be leaving a lot of money on the table. The severance deal is what convinces players like Murphy to make the move rather than just sit on his contract and play in the reserves.

Frenkie has no legal right to just leave and get the rest of his contract paid out, as has been explained about a million times by top sources and posters on here, he has been paid as per his deal, to date; and for the following 4 years he is to be paid at a much higher rate. If he doesn’t do a deal now with Barça regarding those next 4 years, he has no claim to it when breaking contract.

Frenkie’s hardline stance is apparently that Barça have two choices, pay him 80m or so over the next four years, or pay him 17-20m now for him to consider a move. The 17-20 is what they feel is owed due to them renegotiating his deal with Barça in 2020 to help out the club during Covid by taking a deal with a drastically reduced wage for 2020-21 and 21-22.

On principle alone I’m right behind them and his team here, even if his new club could pay say 10m of that to him, feck Barça, if they want him to leave after he sacrificed so much, the cnuts can pay and pay themselves. He has all the power to make them pay his contract, by staying, or by agreeing a massive package to compensate him for those two seasons and for his loyalty bonuses. I respect that.

Not sure how many times this needs explaining in here.
I’m afraid De Jong and his agent have done themselves over if they signed a new contract during COVID reducing his salary. His agent hasn’t done his job if the deferred wages are not contractually owed to him should he leave. I’m afraid that any player who agreed to those terms with Barcelona, knowing their financial situation can only blame themselves.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Because they need to get rid of him or they can't register all of their players who have been brought in.

If by some financial "miracle" it turns out they can register everyone, it has been made clear to him that he won't be playing in his favoured position and may even turn out as a reserve CB, knowing LvG's stance on not picking players who are not playing regularly it would harm his individual chances of going to the world cup and probably have a net negative on his perceived value.

I’m afraid De Jong and his agent have done themselves over if they signed a new contract during COVID reducing his salary. His agent hasn’t done his job if the deferred wages are not contractually owed to him should he leave. I’m afraid that any player who agreed to those terms with Barcelona, knowing their financial situation can only blame themselves.
Yes and no.

Frenkie is still owed like 80m on his deal however you spin it, that still puts them in a very strong position for negotiations.

Redcy

They could do that, if he even plays in the WC when they bench him at CB. Or he picks up an injury in training, it’s a risk.

I’m sure he’d go Munich, or Liverpool, or City if they came in now, so Barcelona could simply drop the asking price now to get them involved. Much less risky.
do any of those three need him though? I would think Munich is the only option, and I’m not sure what their wage structure is like. Still doesn’t get around the fact they owe him this money though if that is the issue. It is an option though that they could try, seems like insanity though and even less like barca to do it

Kostov

Clearly not the person in question, though. Which is the crux of the matter.

It isn't a crime or something to be held against him, but the weather can play a huge part in moves to and from clubs/countries. A huge part of the allure in going to a Spanish or Italian giant was getting paid a massive wage alongside fantastic standards of living and wage. It's a package lots of players jump(ed) at the chance of having.

The PL has pulled it back somewhat with the broader earning potential, but some players will always have that preference and won't joyfully or wilfully give it up.
We have no idea imo. Yes she probably likes Barcelona that doesn't mean she hates the English weather, and you are right it's no crime, it's down to the type of person.

It certainly factors decisions, but IMO, this matter with Frenkie and his beloved club in their beloved city is now beyond their preferred city. By many accounts he has been mistreated and is owed so much money, they have bigger issues is my point. And if you factor his other options, you can come down to conclusion that he will have to make a compromise regarding their living lifestyle.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Laurie contacts says FDJ is open to move. Adds “things can change and others have different contacts” but doesn’t say he has heard any different from his June 18th piece.

Conor

The most annoying thing about the internet is that he simply won't respond to this post :lol:

To be fair, the poster he was responding too was using it completely incorrectly.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The deferred wages are a complication no doubt but they shouldn't actually be able to stop a move if he was serious. Put point blank it would border on illegality to hold his money hostage. He has a legal right to recover those wages whether he moves, retires, passes away or whatever. A move doesn't extinguish the debt unless he formally waives it of his own freewill (free from blackmail, threats or undue pressure). I think it's possible, maybe even highly likely the player just doesn't want to leave. Maybe a better way to frame it would be his first choice is to stay and try resolve the issues with the club.
He has no legal right to that money. If he leaves Barca owe him nothing. The only way he legally recovers the money is by staying and seeing out the next 4 years at Barca.

But they need him to take a pay cut if he wants to stay, meaning he’ll forego those wages anyway. The only way is if he plays hardball and stays and doesn’t take a pay cut. Then they either offer him a settlement of those deferred wages in order to leave or they bench him as a 5th choice center back.

It could all become a little messy (excuse the pun) at the end.

GoldanoGraham

At the end of this FDJ needs to find himself a new agent, surely if he was deferring so much in wages, a good agent would have had something written in thereto protect him.
The one word that describes Frenkie and his agent in agreeing to that wage deferral is:

NAIVE

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Their situation is bonkers. You're meant to sell off assets if it turns out you can't afford them. Keeping them and asking them to take less so you don't have to fulfil your obligations is crazy unprofessional. They don't want to make the sacrifices needed to balance the books and are asking the players to do it for them.

Why are they keeping these players if they can't afford and why are these players so thick they are willing to go with it? This is just bad faith negotiating, they are even publicising the requests so there's blowback from the fans. This would be a ticking class action lawsuit anywhere else.
That is spot on and on top of it all, they’re continuing to accumulate more players by being one of the top spenders in this window thus far, while “owing” some of their current/ex players money :lol:

fps

Oh, we’re at THIS point in the thread.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
You lucky, lucky bastard.

2000 here we come!
Oh yes... well, today i have to go sign up and University, but after that... 2000 pages baby!

de Jong requires it before he signs. This thread must be the biggest transfer thread in Red Cafe history before he agrees to sign!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

There’s about 3 clubs on the planet that can offer to pay his wages, a higher fee than we’ve offered and are “more attractive” than United. This isn’t happening. He isn’t moving because they owe him 17m quid. We keep going round in circles here - that’s the reality. Unless the buying club offers to match his current salary with those deferred wages he isn’t moving until Barcelona cough up regardless of how “keen” he may be to join another club that’s supposedly far better than Manchester United in your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.