Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drz

Well the downer now is that Barca apparently won't be signing B. Silva.
They probably will rid themselves of Depay and Aubameyang to generate some cash.

romufc

What do you mean the club is finished?
Finished at the top level.

Worst season, players leaving, no improvement to first 11, toxic dressing room.

Players not wanting to come
Getting battered every week
No improvement to facilities
Worst ownership
Worst structure after being re-structured

The club is not going to be competing for any honours under this ownership.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This clearly was Barcelona and United shaking hands early but the player having no interest in moving to us.

julianfr

Finished at the top level.

Worst season, players leaving, no improvement to first 11, toxic dressing room.

Players not wanting to come
Getting battered every week
No improvement to facilities
Worst ownership
Worst structure after being re-structured

The club is not going to be competing for any honours under this ownership.
The problem is we shouldn't even be THINKING about competing for honors. We're just not ready yet.

What we should be doing is a whole lotta squad building. And to do that we need a proper identity which will define our strategy and drive our transfer business.

THEN we can consider competing for top honors.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The problem is we shouldn't even be THINKING about competing for honors. We're just not ready yet.

What we should be doing is a whole lotta squad building. And to do that we need a proper identity which will define our strategy and drive our transfer business.

We need new owners THEN we can start squad building and defining the strategy

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Given the apparent links between the two deals.
Well if that is true, I don't believe Xavi will allow Laporta to sell Frenkie, huge wages or not. There would be a lack of quality in midfield, if Frenkie leaves and Silva stays. Gavi is still too young, just turned 18, to carry a whole season on his shoulders. He still has a lot to learn despite his immense talent. We saw it just against Rayo, where he was one of the weakest links in the squad. And Kessie brings in other physical qualities. Not to mention that Pedri was injured last season and it would be madness to force him to play another 70 games this season.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This is what happens when the season has started and the deadline is fast approaching. Everyone gets a bit risk averse, more focused on the football and they probably don’t fancy making snap decisions about uprooting their lives. The time for this shit in supposed to be June and July, while we were busy doing a grand total of sod all.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The links we are seeing to other midfielders now are exactly why you need the right sort of infrastructure in place and can’t simply just rely on who the manager wants.

ten Hag’s midfield priority was Frenkie, and apparently nobody else, so when this clearly isn’t happening, he doesn’t have a plan B in mind. That’s fine, and I get that, because he’s a manager and not a scout who knows players across Europe with the similar skill set and profile. As a result, we are scrambling between so many different styles of player — Casemiro; Caicedo; Rabiot etc…

I think looking at how City is a good example of how things should go for us in an ideal world at some point. They went after their main target Cucurella, got outpriced, and then fell back on Sergio Gomez. He is no doubt one of the least proven LBs they could’ve got, currently playing in Belgium, but his profile and skill set is pretty similar of say Zinchenko - as like the Ukrainian, Sergio Gomez used to play as a no.10 before being converted to LB. If it was us, I’d wager us just going for a bigger name LB who doesn’t even fit what we were after from our main target.

romufc

I am sorry but that is exactly what we should be thinking about because that is what this club is about. Winning.

The Galzers, Woodward and Murtough have made you believe that you cant think about that is a joke.

A year ago... I guarantee you Spurs were not thinking of it either, a year later people think they are the closest to the top 2?

The fact that we are not able to buy a player that can improve our team is a joke whilst other teams are buying 2/3 starters that transform their team.

DutchCruijff

Could be but rumor is, Xavi is starting him vs Sociedad at the weekend. The problem has never been about how much Barca want for him or even a deal with United, it's always been the player not wanting to leave and despite being treated like shit (regretful of this) can you really blame him? He backs himself to start ahead of Gavi (on merit he does) and has a great chance at winning trophies in a rebuilt team.

At this point I think United would pay him record wages, the deferred wages and possibly an improved fee, maybe even take Dest off our hands also but I can still imagine the player rejecting it and there really isn't anything more Barca can or imo, should, do.

It only makes sense for him to leave now if Bernardo Silva is possible but that looks a slim chance this late in the window. This going silent could be because a deal is being done but also could be an acceptance that forcing him out hasn't worked and now we have the season upon us. Xavi can't play his political games, it's not preseason anymore. Results are expected.
I don't think we're getting him still.

He will stay at Barca and I've always maintained that to be the likely option.

I just feel that there will be a flurry of negotiations/pushing at the end of the window.

romufc

Do you really believe that he wouldn't have spoken to EtH saying he wants to come?
Would United still be here waiting?
Apparently people believe were chasing him blindly
For evidence on Lewandowski and Barcelona's new salary cap here you go and now try to tell me how Barca can implement a practical solution to keep Frenkie on his current wages without a big consequence @romufc
You are just lack of common sense, really, for the last paragraph.

Apparently I was blind...

@RkkMan, I have mentioned this for a while, they will find a way to keep Frenkie and manage to spend and register all their players.

@city-puma Looks like your common sense prevails.

Infra-red

This is good news for United.

De Jong prefers Chelsea and will join them this summer if forced out of Barca. That could change in the next 12 months (would probably require United to win the Europa League or finish in the top 4, which is unlikely but not impossible). If Bernardo Silva is staying at City then it means De Jong is staying at Barca and not joining Chelsea this summer, which gives United potentially another chance to get him next summer.

CM

De Jong prefers Chelsea and will join them this summer if forced out of Barca. That could change in the next 12 months (would probably require United to win the Europa League or finish in the top 4, which is unlikely but not impossible). If Bernardo Silva is staying at City then it means De Jong is staying at Barca and not joining Chelsea this summer, which gives United potentially another chance to get him next summer.
If we don't get our act together soon, we won't be playing European football at all next season, never mind Champions League football. It's really the most desperate it has ever been.

Redcy

We are getting nowhere near top 4, we don’t have a functional midfield and have been outplayed by Brighton and brentford.

if we bring in Neves, tielemans, etc that’s not going to make us significantly better.

Infra-red

If we don't get our act together soon, we won't be playing European football at all next season, never mind Champions League football. It's really the most desperate it has ever been.
We are getting nowhere near top 4, we don’t have a functional midfield and have been outplayed by Brighton and brentford.

if we bring in Neves, tielemans, etc that’s not going to make us significantly better.
I agree it is looking increasingly unlikely that we can finish in even the top 6 this season. However, as unlikely as it is, it is still a lot more likely than us signing De Jong this summer, for which there is very obviously zero chance now.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I am sorry but that is exactly what we should be thinking about because that is what this club is about. Winning.

The Galzers, Woodward and Murtough have made you believe that you cant think about that is a joke.

A year ago... I guarantee you Spurs were not thinking of it either, a year later people think they are the closest to the top 2?

The fact that we are not able to buy a player that can improve our team is a joke whilst other teams are buying 2/3 starters that transform their team.
I think he means we have to think of our transfer windows through the lens of squad building, rather than fighting for honours. Fighting for honours is just a consequence of a well put together squad.

When you try and incorporate the idea players also have to be able to win you something, the criteria for signings starts to move away from player profiles that would compliment your squad and overlook players with less experience. Recent example is Caicedo, in the lens of competing for honours, he would have been a rubbish signing, but talking about building a squad with player profiles, he would have complimented it as we had no one like him.

r0663664

Worships Man City
FDJ won't do much for us. It is a collectively effort to win games. Teams are given belief that they will get points again us. Our players have no mental strength once they go behind.

Red Bilko

Last Man Standing Hard Mode champion 2023/24

You say we don't have a functional midfield but if we brought in Neves & Tielemans (who are an upgrade on our midfield) it wouldn't make us significantly better? The comment is a bit contradictory. Of course we would be better.

NoLogo

Apparently I was blind...

@RkkMan, I have mentioned this for a while, they will find a way to keep Frenkie and manage to spend and register all their players.

@city-puma Looks like your common sense prevails.
Our fans still wanna think that the people in charge of our club can't be as incompetent as they seem. Unfortunately it turns out they are wrong.

El-Manos

3 months of chasing this guy, to no avail. We’re looking like clowns this transfer window. You’d have to feel for Ten Hag.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
3 months of chasing this guy, to no avail. We’re looking like clowns this transfer window. You’d have to feel for Ten Hag.
He's the one in charge of our transfer strategy because we gutted the scouting department. This is HIS doing.

avgp_1

If Bernardo doesnt join Barca, no way would Xavi let Frenkie go. He is still part of their best midfield with Pedri and Busquets, and the latter should be on the bench going forward.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I have a feeling there will be no more money spent this window. Maybe a sign the Glazers are about to sell???
It would have no relevance on selling. They have taken their dividends out last month already.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Looks like a sad end to this saga. Fading away into nothing.

Zed 101

So this fee agreed with Barcelona. What do we do with that money?
Save it for next year, add it to the balloon payments we will get from relegation and buy unsuitable championship players instead, ignoring the gaping hole in our defence and midfield?

TrueRed79

Hope Barcelona go down in flames. Used to like them but not anymore. How can FDJ want to stay in a job where you're not wanted and treated like a piece of trash? I checked out of this saga a long time ago because i thought the whole thing was boring as feck, and embarrassing to the club. I did think there was a possibility he might sign due to ETH, but that would have happened a good few weeks back if he had intended to join us.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Big!! Like extra cake with every meal at the training grounds.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I have a little feeling that De Jong wants Chelse more than Chelsea want him.
Nah I don't think so. For a long time I was sceptical about Chelsea's supposed interest in the player in the first place and thought it's just the Spanish media trying to stir up some shit but in recent weeks I've become convinced Chelsea are indeed interested in him and would likely make an offer if the player gives a green light to the move but it hasn't happened because Frenkie clearly wants to stay where he is. Chelsea's position with De Jong seems relaxed, he's not a priority but if the opportunity comes the club will try to sign him.

Something could still change when the deadline gets closer but at the moment I think the most likely outcome is him staying at Barca. Chelsea seem insistent on buying Aubameyang from them which would probably ease Barcelona's financial situation a little bit and increase their chances of keeping De Jong, whether on current terms or finding a compromise with slightly lowered salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.