Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
I feel that there is one more twist here.

I find it difficult to believe United wouldn't be willing to cover the extra £10m of his salary considering how things have gone.

I find it difficult to believe that Barca wouldn't want him out the door right away if they receive €100m for him (including the deferred salary). That's a huge amount and they have no need for him.

Let's see, I can see Xavi not playing him/minimum minutes over the next few matches. They clearly want him gone. It's gone silent.
Could be but rumor is, Xavi is starting him vs Sociedad at the weekend. The problem has never been about how much Barca want for him or even a deal with United, it's always been the player not wanting to leave and despite being treated like shit (regretful of this) can you really blame him? He backs himself to start ahead of Gavi (on merit he does) and has a great chance at winning trophies in a rebuilt team.

At this point I think United would pay him record wages, the deferred wages and possibly an improved fee, maybe even take Dest off our hands also but I can still imagine the player rejecting it and there really isn't anything more Barca can or imo, should, do.

It only makes sense for him to leave now if Bernardo Silva is possible but that looks a slim chance this late in the window. This going silent could be because a deal is being done but also could be an acceptance that forcing him out hasn't worked and now we have the season upon us. Xavi can't play his political games, it's not preseason anymore. Results are expected.

Reactions: Dargonk

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Could be but rumor is, Xavi is starting him vs Sociedad at the weekend. The problem has never been about how much Barca want for him or even a deal with United, it's always been the player not wanting to leave and despite being treated like shit (regretful of this) can you really blame him? He backs himself to start ahead of Gavi (on merit he does) and has a great chance at winning trophies in a rebuilt team.

At this point I think United would pay him record wages, the deferred wages and possibly an improved fee, maybe even take Dest off our hands also but I can still imagine the player rejecting it and there really isn't anything more Barca can or imo, should, do.

It only makes sense for him to leave now if Bernardo Silva is possible but that looks a slim chance this late in the window. This going silent could be because a deal is being done but also could be an acceptance that forcing him out hasn't worked and now we have the season upon us. Xavi can't play his political games, it's not preseason anymore. Results are expected.
Only way you get Silva is if you include FDJ in the deal, don’t know if you could afford him otherwise if reports are true that City want €80-100m for Silva

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Only way you get Silva is if you include FDJ in the deal, don’t know if you could afford him otherwise if reports are true that City want €80-100m for Silva
Agree. City seem to have no interest in a swap, so that was ruled out very early on. 80-100mil just isn't possible unless we pay installments but I doubt City accept that again (nor can I blame them tbh). Trying to deal with a club who don't want to sell, have no need to sell and probably can't get a suitable replacement is mission impossible and Bernardo has too much respect to force an exit.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Probably from the paywalled article.
12ft.io will get rid of most paywalls including Atlantic
Up at 6am. Shower, shite, shave, another shite, another shower to wash the shite off, shave the shower because it's covered in shite, shower the shaver because he's covered in shite, third shite.

6:05am - turn on BBC Breakfast. Fecking news about Ukraine again. Clearly some top defenders over there but unfortunately unable to sign any of them at the moment. Switch over to CBeebies.

10:59am - Duggee and Friends is over which means it'll be that boring grown up show about a small town doctor who has a quirk that makes him difficult to work with but he secretly has a heart of gold. Might as well start working...

11:00am - Fecking PC won't work. This happens every fecking morning! Fecking useless IT department sending me shit equipment! Can't even do the most basic of fecking tasks, can they? Going to call the helpdesk...

11:12am - Fecking useless IT tech asking me to check the power cable and WiFi and whatnot because he can't just drive over and fix it. This is fecking bullshit. Fecking useless bastards.

11:35am - IT finally diagnosed the problem. Apparently my toaster isn't a computer. Well nobody told me that!

11:36am - Having jammy baked beans and marmite on toast. Fecking lush asf. Time for a nap.

3:47pm - Woken up by wife bringing kids home from school. Tells me I forgot to pick them up as she leaves to go back to her work. Moody bitch. Kids IMMEDIATELY want food. I point to the kettle and tell them to make themselves some toast.

3:48pm - Back to work! Email on my phone pings. Ignore it. Another ping. Arnold on WhatsApp. He's stuck a bouncy castle in his back garden. Top lad. Another email pings. Better check it...

8:22pm - Shit! Fell asleep again! Fifty seven missed calls from Joel Glazer. No voicemails, just a text saying he wanted to talk to me about something important before the scientists put him in cryo for six months. Oh well, maybe next time...

8:30pm - check betting odds before repeats of The Bill on Dave. Frenkie deal looking more likely according to Paddy Power! Tell journo mates that I'm more confident of a deal now. Turn to wife and smile but she's not there. Can't hear kids either. There's a note beside me with "To John" on the front but it's just out of reach. Can't be bothered moving so just forget about it.

9:59pm - Feeling tired, might have an early night. I've been up since 6am after all! Time for a quick shit in the shower and off to bed for another day or hard work! New Crusader Kings expansion is being released so I queue the download up on my George Foreman grill.

10:01pm - Phone call coming directly from Frenkie. Smash that cancel button. I'm off the clock!
Best part of this whole saga, had me giggling, nice one!
This can feck right off.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Agree. City seem to have no interest in a swap, so that was ruled out very early on. 80-100mil just isn't possible unless we pay installments but I doubt City accept that again (nor can I blame them tbh). Trying to deal with a club who don't want to sell, have no need to sell and probably can't get a suitable replacement is mission impossible and Bernardo has too much respect to force an exit.
There was an article in Forbes saying Pep will demand FDJ if Silva goes to Barca so maybe that might be a possibility after all. I suppose it all depends on the economics of the deal.

NLunited

Yeah Barfa has done enough, haven‘t they?
What they should do is pay Frenkie his deferred wages. They pissed him off and mistreated him, and now we gonna pretend like nothing happened because Busquets is suspended?

Maybe Xavi should take some coaching lessons instead of buying eight new players they can‘t afford, while asking players for wage cuts.

Sickening club.

TypeR

Murtough must be feeling absolutely fecked. Not slept properly for 3 months.

In other words, ineffective and not very competent if he has to do 6-10s and likely wind up without any improvement to our midfield, and what seems to almost definitely be without the manager’s prime target. Vis-à-vis contemporaries who have sorted out their identified areas that need bolstering early in the off-season.

One’s effective and competent with clear plans of actions. The other is going for a Hail Mary now.

HayabusaUtd

This saga is embarrassing. But were balls deep now. Don't take it out until September 1st. Keep up the penetration. Even if we fail we fail hammering that deal. Over and over.

Womp

idiot
As I mentioned prior - what I was most worried about wasn't missing out on De Jong but this wasted saga resulting in us panicking/not having enough time or opportunity to sign alternative targets. Unfortunately seems like that is the case.

Absolutely shambolic window. This club's constant failure at this point is quite impressive.

You sign one of the most sought after coaches in football and set him up for failure from the start

HayabusaUtd

As I mentioned prior - what I was most worried about wasn't missing out on De Jong but this wasted saga resulting in us panicking/not having enough time or opportunity to sign alternative targets. Unfortunately seems like that is the case.

Absolutely shambolic window. This club's constant failure at this point is quite impressive.

You sign one of the most sought after coaches in football and set him up for failure from the start
The positive if there is one..is that we still have 15 days left. ITs not deadline week or anything yet. Just don't go back in for Rabbit Hole

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd say let's just give up on this window and save the cash for next summer but we've loaned or sold our youth talents too.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I find it difficult to believe that Barca wouldn't want him out the door right away if they receive €100m for him (including the deferred salary). That's a huge amount and they have no need for him.

Let's see, I can see Xavi not playing him/minimum minutes over the next few matches. They clearly want him gone. It's gone silent.
That begs the question --- is FdJ a 100M player? We overpaid for Martinez and now FdJ? That's over $150million for two players.

stoinz

Murtough must be feeling absolutely fecked. Not slept properly for 3 months.

with his level of competence, he was probably just spending that number hours booking connecting flights and hotels for his holidays.

little.triangles

1. Why does Murtough need to work from 6am to 10pm when United and Barca have already agreed a transfer fee (maybe he is monitoring this thread all day and that's "work")? Aren't we just waiting for de Jong to make up his mind?
2. Why are we broadcasting publicly that we have 200m to spend when the window is going to close soon and we are clearly desperate and clubs and players are going to rinse us?

This tweet along with that old news about Richard Arnold loving transfer speculation for the social media interaction it creates just shows that nothing has changed after the departure of Woodward. MUST said that a fish rots from the head, and we are rotting in the calculus of accountants and marketing men.

Remember that even the players are like us fans in some ways. They are seeing this dysfunction at the club everyday. Say what you will about motivating yourself, but when the roof of your iconic stadium is literally leaking, then it is hard to feel that you are part of something that is loved, cared for and important. Good players turn to sh*t here. It's not an accident.

GLAZERS OUT.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

A relatively sensible barca fan at last.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
In what sense? I mean he really looks all right.
I hadn't seen him for quite a long time so i guess I had hoped he's gonna age like Hollywood stars do.

But yeah I just had unrealistic expectations, compared to my own 57 year old relatives, he's aged just fine.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I'm all for muppet/transfer threads and usually there is something to build on but there was never anything to indicate that the guy was really coming to United. This has just been the worst with the same old crap being recycled every few days...it's not even been entertaining. The fecker's even playing for Barca right now. I know people just drag it out just to boost the page count which is supposed to mean something I guess. But this has been embarrassing.
It's is far more interesting than the entirety of last season (And probably this season as well).

OmarUnited4ever

Why would an offer expire? It's been agreed, both sides are happy with it and because 30 days have passed it's no good?

Why would they have to even renegotiate? There's the old deal, print a new copy, new dates and a couple of signatures and there you go. This sounds like absolute guff to me.

Yeah it is weird, and since one journalist said it, other journalists accepted it and regurgitate it.

They (United & Barca) only agreed on a fee (initial plus add-ons), and that is it. It is not subject to expiry or anything, if De Jong agrees to join, then the agreement on fee will go ahead and the deal will be completed.

GinobiliTheGOAT

I feel that there is one more twist here.

I find it difficult to believe United wouldn't be willing to cover the extra £10m of his salary considering how things have gone.

FDJ is starting the next match. He was MOTM for them in the last one.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
That dude is far too happy for a guy who has been trashed in the media, threatened with lawsuits and accused of having swindled Barca into signing a criminal contract.
Most of the players don't read the media. They would be stupid to do it, because 95% is klick baiting rubbish. Why should they waste their time and good mood on it while living the perfect life?
The lawsuit is also very old news, that just got published now for drama purposes. Barca informed the players agents they will look into the last Barto contract extensions months ago, so there will be no surprises. A possible lawsuit is also very far away because the lawyers still review the case, but it just reads better in the press. And Barca is totally open about it that only Bartomeu is to blame here if they find criminal charges.

Loon

:lol:
This saga will likely become the textbook case in how not to run a football club and indicative of United at this period in its history.

Hope I'm alive at the point I can look back and laugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.