Friendly v Preston called off due to suspected covid cases | None within first team group

choccy77

Who cares about failure to win pre-season games? I am more worried about our fitness and rhythm going into the season. I would absolutely hate to get hammered by fecking Leeds.
I was being sarcastic.

What worries me most is that heading into that Leeds game, we will still be missing some players and also will have a number not match fit, who will no doubt play anyhow.

I don't understand why they couldn't have pushed the season back a little even two more weeks would have been good for everyone.

Wolverine

I wonder if they'll extend the daily PCR testing pilot/isolation exemption thing to footballers. Hard to justify as "essential" though mind.
But yeah once the PCR's confirmed it then 10 day mandatory isolation
Not sure if the Everton game in doubt, but possibly a significant number of absentees if they've been training together in close quarters

We're not going to be the last team that's affected by this coming year

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just as well most of the team don't return till Monday eh

NYAS

Can’t say I disagree, though surely they’ve all had both by now?
I’d say the opposite. I’d be surprised if more than half of the squad have been vaccinated. Could be several factors like vaccine availability for their age group, them being on holiday/at summer tournaments, as well as hesitancy; I mean most of these guys are quite young and active on social media, which is a cesspit of anti-vax shite these days.

Dante

Average bang
I've not minded covid too much these last 18 months. But causing the cancellation of a United friendly is going too far.

RomfordRed75

According to Leeds website and Sky Sports Leeds only have 3 friendlies penciled in so far, the last is tomorrow.

ManRed

Does this not put the Everton game in doubt now as well?

Players & staff will now need to self-isolate won’t they
Sir Alex coming back to manage the Everton game with DDG, Trippier, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Pogba and Cavani playing :drool:

El Zoido

I’d say the opposite. I’d be surprised if more than half of the squad have been vaccinated. Several factors like vaccine availability for their age group, them being on holiday/at summer tournaments, as well as hesitancy; I mean most of these guys are quite young and active on social media, which is a cesspit of anti-vax shite these days.
Would think sportsmen would be high priority due to the fact they’re in close contact with other people for their job. Especially footballers, in close contact with 21 other players on the pitch, as well as a squad and coaching staff in the locker room and in training. Then going home to families, often with school-aged children. They should have been some of the first to be vaccinated.

CM

Not great for preparation. Hopefully we can squeeze in a behind closed doors game next week before the Everton game. We can't be undercooked for Leeds on the opening day

hobbers

Wonder which dummy broke protocols
Take your pick really.

With the (national) rules relaxing I bet most teams will have an absolute mare with covid cases at some point this season. Players will be back doing whatever the feck they like.

Withnail

I’d say the opposite. I’d be surprised if more than half of the squad have been vaccinated. Could be several factors like vaccine availability for their age group, them being on holiday/at summer tournaments, as well as hesitancy; I mean most of these guys are quite young and active on social media, which is a cesspit of anti-vax shite these days.
I was just reading there they all have to be fully vaccinated by the start of the season or they can't play.

https://www.news18.com/news/footbal...ccinated-before-season-commences-3993140.html

IrishRedDevil

A slow start to the new season really is pending. Can’t afford to start slow or the league challenge will be over before it even gets started.

Hoof the ball

Ffs.

Didn't Ole say he was starting Donny in this game? :lol:

Sorry Donny. A few of the boys have got Covid, so........ Im gonna need you to go ahead stay home today. Yeahhhh. Mkayyy?

choccy77

Have there?

I only saw that nonsense posted by Delph. I'm fairly sure they'll all go along with it by then deadline if it's the only way they'll get to play.
I guess you can't force people to do something if they have strong beliefs or reasons not too. It is a difficult situation for a professional sportsman.

Withnail

I guess you can't force people to do something if they have strong beliefs or reasons not too. It is a difficult situation for a professional sportsman.
It is difficult if people have strong beliefs but for me this is a case where they've drank the cool-aid and don't have a legitimate reason. If they're reluctant I'm not sure they'll be spoken to so as to dispel their fears and sense will prevail for most of them.

choccy77

It is difficult if people have strong beliefs but for me this is a case where they've drank the cool-aid and don't have a legitimate reason. If they're reluctant I'm not sure they'll be spoken to so as to dispel their fears and sense will prevail for most of them.
Well Im sure there would be a huge human rights issue explode if Premier League forced people.

theklr

Good thing there arent that many first teamers back already then.

Zoo

Arrange a game behind closed doors. Not ideal but we’ll have to find a way to manage. We’re already looking at using players for the Leeds game with just a week of training under their belts.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Arrange a game behind closed doors. Not ideal but we’ll have to find a way to manage. We’re already looking at using players for the Leeds game with just a week of training under their belts.
If we're the ones with Covid cases, as seems to be the case, how can we play another team behind closed doors?