Television Friends

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
They were all pretty terrible people except Phoebe tbh, and even Phoebe had a few horrid moments herself.

Ross is the ‘nice guy’ who blames other people for his own failures.

Rachel never loses her self-entitlement, it just took on a different form when she became financially independent

Joey never felt the least bit of remorse about the deceptions he pulled on women in his amorous ways.

Monica knows and has been called out on it repeatedly but still imposed her controlling freak persona on everybody else.

And Chandler is the guy with huge daddy issues who lashes out through his passive aggressive sarcasm and when called out on it guilt trip others by using his childhood trauma.
Doesn’t it just show that we are all flawed as human beings?

InfiniteBoredom

Doesn’t it just show that we are all flawed as human beings?
Sure, and part of that is also the writers highlighting those personal quirks/defects for laughs, but putting them in real life and we probably wouldn’t want to associate with them. Ross turning up at Rachel’s workplace with a band for instance, only fecking weirdos do that.

They were all pretty terrible people except Phoebe tbh, and even Phoebe had a few horrid moments herself.

Rachel never loses her self-entitlement, it just took on a different form when she became financially independent

Joey never felt the least bit of remorse about the deceptions he pulled on women in his amorous ways.

Monica knows and has been called out on it repeatedly but still imposed her controlling freak persona on everybody else.

And Chandler is the guy with huge daddy issues who lashes out through his passive aggressive sarcasm and when called out on it guilt trip others by using his childhood trauma.
Probably why they were so great, everybody can see a piece of themselves and their own friends in them.

Sylar

That's true.

Which reminds me of my most controversial Friends' baed opinion: Ross is the best character on the show.
I dont think its controversial. I thought he was the best, especially the latter years.
(Chandler was my fav in the earlier seasons, mostly cos he made the same type of sarcastic jokes I would)

First 5 or 6 seasons were quite good I think. Post Zoey it all went downhill.
I think the earlier seasons were defo awesome and a fun watch. The problem was they stretched it out, and then rushed the ending somehow. Some of the call backs to earlier eps were great as was the slap punishment. The ending was just horrible however.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

So basically normal human beings?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Definitely Ross as the most relatable. Depression? Unemployment? He's a millennial icon.
All the friends were unemployed at some point in the show. Everyone also sulked over a broken heart, depressed. He wasn't unique in that sense.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
InfiniteBoredom said:
That kind of habit must be very hard to control though. For example, a recent habit of mine is to continually talk and talk and interrupt - stemming from anxiety problems I have - and I cannot control this, even though I'm fully aware of the problem. I spend my days apologising profusely. And that problem seems a minor one compared to Monica's.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
That kind of habit must be very hard to control though. For example, a recent habit of mine is to continually talk and talk and interrupt - stemming from anxiety problems I have - and I cannot control this, even though I'm fully aware of the problem. I spend my days apologising profusely. And that problem seems a minor one compared to Monica's.
Do you tell jokes when you interrupt?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Unfortunately not.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just watching Friends here. Swear if you met Chandler in real life you'd think he was such a smarmy, annoying twat, but because everyone in the program reacts as if he's dead sound he doesn't come across that way until you think about it.

acnumber9

Just watching Friends here. Swear if you met Chandler in real life you'd think he was such a smarmy, annoying twat, but because everyone in the program reacts as if he's dead sound he doesn't come across that way until you think about it.
But they tell you in every episode how funny he is so that you can remember to laugh.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
But they tell you in every episode how funny he is so that you can remember to laugh.
:lol:

I do quite like Friends though. It's just a comforting throwback. Like some of the fasion as well. Big baggy 90s sweaters and the like.

acnumber9

:lol:

I do quite like Friends though. It's just a comforting throwback. Like some of the fasion as well. Big baggy 90s sweaters and the like.
Every time I catch part of an episode, which is daily because it’s on 24 hours a day on about three different channels, and despite that fact my girlfriends still feels the need to put it on Netflix, I hate it more and more. It has become quite irrational.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Every time I catch part of an episode, which is daily because it’s on 24 hours a day on about three different channels, and despite that fact my girlfriends still feels the need to put it on Netflix, I hate it more and more. It has become quite irrational.
Yeah it'd probably do my head in if it was on a lot in my house. I catch a bit of one probably twice a year.

Fingeredmouse

No. You are merely seeing through the veil.

evil_geko

I love Friends, it's not that they have some brilliant writing or anything, it's all about the great cast chemistry, this chemistry wasn't repeated for me in any sitcom after Friends.