Further signings dependent on sales?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How can you sell players when manager says for every player that he has future in club and will be very useful? It is not a dig to Ole, this is his way and he has good mood around squad because of it but if he says to Lingard or Jones "you are not in my plans at all" then they (and their agents) would try hard to find a club.

Last edited:

Kag

How can you sell players when manager says for every player that he has future in club and will be very useful? It us not a dig to Ole, this is his way and he has good mood around squad because of it but if he says to Lingard or Jones "you are not in my plans at all" then they (and their agents) would try hard to find a club.
He may have told Lingard and Jones that they are not in his plans.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How can you sell players when manager says for every player that he has future in club and will be very useful? It us not a dig to Ole, this is his way and he has good mood around squad because of it but if he says to Lingard or Jones "you are not in my plans at all" then they (and their agents) would try hard to find a club.
Managers won't say the same thing to players that they say to press. Ole said Sanchez and Lukaku will be part of the team and both of them were sold/loaned out in the same window.

Abraxas

How do you know what he's told them?

I think you're getting a bit carried away with public statements where the manager has every reason to say they may be part of his plans and no incentive whatsoever to say they're unwanted.

He may have been perfectly honest with them in private that their role will be limited but it makes no sense to be saying how desperate we are to sell or to make them feel completely alienated in a public forum. You do this stuff in private and then it's up to the board to find a deal.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He may have told Lingard and Jones that they are not in his plans.
Managers won't say the same thing to players that they say to press. Ole said Sanchez and Lukaku will be part of the team and both of them were sold/loaned out in the same window.
I don't know but in public Ole sounds very positive about them. Nevertheless, to leave United (and chance for getting another big contract) you need kick in the ass.
I must admit that i liked Sarri's approach in Chelsea. From the start he said on what players he doesn't count.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know but in public Ole sounds very positive about them. Nevertheless, to leave United (and chance for getting another big contract) you need kick in the ass.
I must admit that i liked Sarri's approach in Chelsea. From the start he said on what players he doesn't count.
How will that help club/players? What happens in the dressing room should stay there, players should be respected too. Just because we don't need them doesn't mean we have to tell the whole world. Just informing the player and his agent is more than enough.

Ole saying "Lindard is not in my plans" won't make West Ham pay 25 million.

Kag

Sarri’s players were refusing to leave the field to be substituted. He lost the dressing room completely.

We’ve seen more than enough of Ole in press conferences to know that what he says can be taken with a massive pinch of salt. Behind the scenes the players who won’t have a major role in the squad will be very well aware.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How will that help club/players? What happens in the dressing room should stay there, players should be respected too. Just because we don't need them doesn't mean we have to tell the whole world. Just informing the player and his agent is more than enough.

Ole saying "Lindard is not in my plans" won't make West Ham pay 25 million.
You are talking about what Ole maybe said to them. I am talking what he actually said.
And again; it is nothing wrong to put player on transfer list and tell him that he is not in plans.
If you are Lingard or Jones, would you leave? You know that you will get around 10(Jones)-20(Lingard) games to play, win something maybe and who knows, maybe new contract at the end.

TheRedHearted

How can you sell players when manager says for every player that he has future in club and will be very useful? It is not a dig to Ole, this is his way and he has good mood around squad because of it but if he says to Lingard or Jones "you are not in my plans at all" then they (and their agents) would try hard to find a club.
I was thinking yesterday that we have a lack of experience in selling players. The club needs to get better at it and also deciding when it’s time to offload the wages. For the dressing room and get fresh mentalities in there that will bring more energy into the dressing room.

I remember reading once that the high wages are good for the glazers financials because it’s an easy recorded expense/ loss but even more reason it should be better players but that’s the issue we run into is selling any player on such high wages. It’s clearly a system that doesn’t suit the club long term

CM

It's quite clear to see Lingard won't ever be a regular starter for this United side with the options we've got now. If he wants first-team football, he'll need to look for it elsewhere. But it has never been Ole's style to kick anyone out the door, and certainly not in the media.

I think it's standard procedure as far as he goes. He did the same with Lukaku, Alexis et al. If we find a buyer in a deal that works for us, happy days. If we don't, he hasn't publicly talked himself into a corner.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

bosskeano

Our 2nd best player then?
again the issue is he doesn't play CM for us as our personnel doesn't suit him and make up for his lack of defensive responsibilities. Instead, we push him to the left which unbalances the starting XI when he's on the pitch. He tends to lose his tactical shape and it opens us up.

FerociousCorgis

well at least we finally got a RW player. Just now have to wait a couple years to add a decent DM to the squad i guess. Amazed that we cant just find a way to cut some of the deadwood and bring in someone fresh for that spot. Lingard should have some decent value after that loan spell of his, no idea how we squandered that

Coops73

Ole said he doubts we will sign anyone else
So much about us being anywhere near Citeh, especially if they sign Kane
Well they ain’t signing Kane but while Sancho and Varane are great signings, I think we can all agree we could do with 1 or 2 more to properly mount a title challenge.

There’s still time of course but I don’t see it happening.

croadyman

Much as I am banging the drum for Donny to get a chance it would have been better if we kept that £35m to spend on a ball winning DM or passing CM this summer because clearly Ole isn't sure how to use him at all. We then wouldn't had to have made sales in order to fund the transfer this summer which we look unable to do unfortunately.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Except Sarri was an utter failure and burned bridges. Last thing you want if we can’t sell Lingard is for us to need him due to injury crisis and him not give a shit any more. Also it’s terrible negotiation tactics to just tell clubs outright which players you don’t want

sdb4884

Ole has done a good job in cleaning out deadwood (Young, Smalling, Darmian etc) but he still hasn't gone far enough. It's obvious there is too much competition for Lingard and should have been sold for a pretty good 20m, also Jones honestly still at the club? One of De Gea or Henderson should have been sold.

Anyway so much for the Glazers investing in the club, two signings? albeit good ones still not enough to push us to being a top top side.

jackal&hyde

so even trying to sign Saul on loan we still need to move some players on in order to raise funds to make this move??

The best thing that could happen for United would be PSG selling Mbappe to Madrid and PSG wanting to sign Pogba. This would allow us to sell him, bring in a CM to help us and it would balance out the squad.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...for-eduardo-camavingasaul-niguez-bids-sources
How is losing one of the best AM in the world the best thing? Especially with Rashford injured for the foreseeable future that would be disastrous for us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We could have sold Lingard and James. We didn't. We seem to love keeping deadwood.

croadyman

What a crap end to the window with Ronny likely coming back to haunt us, felt so positive we would get a midfielder when Jadon & Varane signed because really believed we could make those sales but ugh not happening and that's underwhelming

bosskeano

How is losing one of the best AM in the world the best thing? Especially with Rashford injured for the foreseeable future that would be disastrous for us.
because he isn't one of the best AM in the world and he puts in a decent performance about 1 in 5 matches.....amazing how blind some of you guys get with Pogba when has puts in a good performance

jackal&hyde

because he isn't one of the best AM in the world and he puts in a decent performance about 1 in 5 matches.....amazing how blind some of you guys get with Pogba when has puts in a good performance
Except that he is much more consistent then that when played in the AM rather then the double pivot.

eire-red

Lingard, James and Martial are all surplus to requirements and could have easily funded the move for a quality CM.

Why are we such a slow moving club when it comes to transfers? The sheer amount of players the likes of City and Chelsea manage to move, both in and out each summer, make us look like amateurs.

Granted, Varane and Sancho have been terrific signings, but if we don't back it up by addressing the real problem area, it all seems a bit deflating doesn't it?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
so even trying to sign Saul on loan we still need to move some players on in order to raise funds to make this move??

The best thing that could happen for United would be PSG selling Mbappe to Madrid and PSG wanting to sign Pogba. This would allow us to sell him, bring in a CM to help us and it would balance out the squad.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...for-eduardo-camavingasaul-niguez-bids-sources
We need a midfielder so the best thing would be selling our best midfielder?

roseguy64

Lingard, James and Martial are all surplus to requirements and could have easily funded the move for a quality CM.

Why are we such a slow moving club when it comes to transfers? The sheer amount of players the likes of City and Chelsea manage to move, both in and out each summer, make us look like amateurs.

Granted, Varane and Sancho have been terrific signings, but if we don't back it up by addressing the real problem area, it all seems a bit deflating doesn't it?
They obviously aren't.

BorisManUtd

Only player I could see us selling until window closes is Lingard for about 15-20m euros max. Dalot is not leaving as Milan are/were only interested in another loan, James is staying and that's it.

croadyman

Yeah very deflating feel indeed

eire-red

They obviously aren't.
Why is it obvious?

Lingard was on loan last season, Martial injured for large parts and James was for the most part sat on the bench.

When it comes to crunch time, these guys offer nothing to the team. I'd swap these 3 in a heartbeat for a top CM who actually contributes. Instead, we'll have some rhetoric about squad depth and the need to keep players, not a selling club etc.

Martial and Lingard would have been sat on the bench right along with the rest of those coming into ET against Villareal last season. It's bizarre, and no matter what Ole says, he still doesn't trust the fringe players to deliver.

The squad is already bloated as it is, we could easily sell Lingard and Martial, and still have Greenwood, Cavani, Pogba, Rashford, Sancho and Bruno in those attacking positions. What have we actually lost in terms of numbers and impact?

croadyman

Why is it obvious?

Lingard was on loan last season, Martial injured for large parts and James was for the most part sat on the bench.

When it comes to crunch time, these guys offer nothing to the team. I'd swap these 3 in a heartbeat for a top CM who actually contributes. Instead, we'll have some rhetoric about squad depth and the need to keep players, not a selling club etc.

Martial and Lingard would have been sat on the bench right along with the rest of those coming into ET against Villareal last season. It's bizarre, and no matter what Ole says, he still doesn't trust the fringe players to deliver.

The squad is already bloated as it is, we could easily sell Lingard and Martial, and still have Greenwood, Cavani, Pogba, Rashford, Sancho and Bruno in those attacking positions. What have we actually lost in terms of numbers and impact?
Yeah should have sold all 3 then brought in Trippier and top CM but like you say we will get the rhetoric about keeping players

JB7

Are we just pretending that the Sancho money wasn't last years money?

This is classic Glazernomics, as soon as the team look like they will comfortably finish top 4, the spending stops.

We've essentially bought a player Woodward has lusted after since day 1 in the job (for a bargain fee too) and last years signing this year and now supposedly need to sell to buy. It's fecking outrageous.

croadyman

Are we just pretending that the Sancho money wasn't last years money?

This is classic Glazernomics, as soon as the team look like they will comfortably finish top 4, the spending stops.

We've essentially bought a player Woodward has lusted after since day 1 in the job (for a bargain fee too) and last years signing this year and now supposedly need to sell to buy. It's fecking outrageous.
Last year panic buys (don't count Edi as free) have ultimately cost us a quality DM this year

roseguy64

Why is it obvious?

Because of the fact that there has been no rumours about Martial and James leaving. In fact the news has been about us wanting to keep them. The only players who we seemed to be willing to let go are Lingard, Pereira and Dalot.