Further signings dependent on sales?

Matthew84!

Tuanzebe will be 24 this year so why we gave him a new contract and sent out on loan again I'll never understand. Hes not going to ever be a starter here. This club is a joke giving stupid contracts out.
Well he'll get another 1 year added on to his contract, he'll come back next season when more and likely Bailly will be sold and he'll be our 4th choice.

hobbers

Well he'll get another 1 year added on to his contract, he'll come back next season when more and likely Bailly will be sold and he'll be our 4th choice.
Doesn't matter whether Bailly is here or not, Tuanzebe will never be part of the plans here. He's not good enough.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
According to Luckhurst who has been spot on all summer we will be getting a third signing.

Though it sounds like it will be Trippier.

Who is a good signing in his own right but DM is the biggest whole in our squad and it's what will likely stop us competing at the very top next season.
Luckhurst mentioned a few weeks ago that Trippier won't be considered a "significant" signing. We want him but he will be bought in as a squad option. So unless Luckhurst has changed his tune, this third significant signing doesn't refer to Trippier.

wolvored

No he wont. He would have been 4th choice now. Not good enough.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Has anybody seen anything to indicate the situation around Lukaku and what we are still owed for him? I believe it was somewhere in the region of £43m last I heard and we are also due a further €4m from the sell on clause.

Surely there's no reason that Inter could continue to avoid paying us everything that is owed

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Has anybody seen anything to indicate the situation around Lukaku and what we are still owed for him? I believe it was somewhere in the region of £43m last I heard and we are also due a further €4m from the sell on clause.

Surely there's no reason that Inter could continue to avoid paying us everything that is owed
The £43m is already accounted for as receivables. Won't affect our spending.

MyBloodIsRed

Does anyone have a list of the contract ends dates for these? I expect them to be our most likely to clear out

Lingard
Dalot
Andreas
Jones
Williams (loan maybe)

axel And lairs on loan is good. I would guess Williams and garner loaned too.

I think Bailly will wait out the season…maybe go in Jan if no game time.

Mata and Matic won’t go this season as they are here as veterans to help the youngsters in the locker room e

bosskeano

well it certainly has become apparent that there will be no more movement of additions to the squad until Ole or John kind find someone to buy a few of the lads. I don't think even a loan move for a veteran player will allow us to buy even one of the young players like Camavinga or Ilaix Moriba

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

The payment terms aren't affected by the player's sale. We get around 5 million from the sell-on clause but I don't think that up front I think that's spread out over Chelsea's payments to inter which is over 3 years I think.

So in short it makes no real financial difference to us that he has gone to Chelsea

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The payment terms aren't affected by the player's sale. We get around 5 million from the sell-on clause but I don't think that up front I think that's spread out over Chelsea's payments to inter which is over 3 years I think.

So in short it makes no real financial difference to us that he has gone to Chelsea
Yeah I figured as much, but if I remember correctly Inter defaulted on their payment to us in May so we had the right to request payment in full. I would assume that we would choose to exercise that option, and now that Inter have cashed in on the same player they were in default for then they would be hard pressed to find a reason not to settle this debt

bosskeano

fcking chelsea can dump off Abraham to Roma for 40m quid and we can't sell one single player, hell we can't even put a guy out on loan and make a few quid. Our selling policy needs a bit of restructuring.

bosskeano

if this has real merit, we should be able to make moves this summer without the dependency of selling anyone

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

if this has real merit, we should be able to make moves this summer without the dependency of selling anyone
I think you missing the point where it says we lost 150million in the pandemic (I would also add many estimates have that above 200 million), so it isn't like we have piles of cash sitting around that we can buy players with.

What we have spent this summer is in terms of debt and payment structures. There is only so far you can go with that. For example, if we commit to too many payment structures for too many players then it has a massive impact on future windows and expenditure as during that period you are paying out for players you bought last summer or 3 summers ago. You also don't want to increase your debt too much as the interest payments alone become an issue.

Realistically the club has done really getting the players they have done through the door. as fans, us demanding more big-money transfers this summer is not in the long-term interests of the club.

Pavl3n

While true, which are the obvious options for us? I'm not convinced by Neves and Saul. Camavinga is not convinced he wants to come over.
I am not familiar with possible right back options to upgrade on Dalot and challenge AWB.
Who, in your opinion, should we be after at this moment, keeping in mind we want to be shrewd in the transfer market and not overpay ?

Cathy Ferguson

Dalot staying and Hammers struggling to pay 25m for Lingard does not bode well if we think we can raise big money. Andreas wont fetch more than 15m. Mata, Jones and Matic will just give us pocket money.

Which is good news for Hannibal.

bosskeano

well it appears we have two guys going out on loan in Periera to Flamengo and Williams to Norwich....neither are outright sales but Ole is starting to trim the squad a bit

if he pushes a few more out the door on loan, he'll have to bring someone in just to ensure we have enough squad depth to be in 4 competitions

Gandalf

Dalot staying and Hammers struggling to pay 25m for Lingard does not bode well if we think we can raise big money. Andreas wont fetch more than 15m. Mata, Jones and Matic will just give us pocket money.

Which is good news for Hannibal.
You missed a decimal in that Pereira valuation. Loan fee is supposedly 1.5m and with us on the hook for roughly half of his 49k a week wages that would mean we will still pay around 1m in wages up to June 2022 earning us a whopping 500k.

Gandalf

You missed a decimal in that Pereira valuation. Loan fee is supposedly 1.5m and with us on the hook for roughly half of his 49k a week wages that would mean we will still pay around 1m in wages up to June 2022 earning us a whopping 500k.
Well shut my mouth, loan fee now reported as 850k and they are paying 60% of his wages leaving us to pay him 20k a week. Pretty much works out at zero net, the loan fee really just covers our share of the salary so we are just effectively getting his wages off the books until next June and putting him in the shop window again.

tjb

The club HAS TO sort how we sell players.

We are criminally bad at it. It's honestly embarrassing.
It's not an easy fix. We pay fringe players too much money. It's the cost of keeping some of these players to long term deals.

For me, our biggest issue in this regards is that we overestimate the potential value ( both on and off the pitch) of our younger players. We pay them far too early for minimal performances. If we had Loftus-Cheek or Ihaenacho, they would still be here on 100,000 a week.

Thiagoal

The club HAS TO sort how we sell players.

We are criminally bad at it. It's honestly embarrassing.
We need to sort out the amount we are paying in wages to our non core members of the squad. I really don’t know why the club feel compelled to pay the likes of Pereira, Lingard, Jones and Bailly such inflated salaries which other teams simply can’t match. No player is going to take a downward step in their career to to earn less money unless they absolutely have to.

The renewing contracts to preserve sell-on value idea has to stop.

Chairman Steve

Our youth ethos flip side is overpaying our academy players on basically minimal appearances or showing signs of hanging in there. Not all of them are going to be Premier League quality, let alone Man Utd quality.

Think of all the youth players we‘ve had over the years who were flash in the pan but never got better or matched it after that. It’s daft as feck to willynilly hand out £50k a week 5 year contracts based on a handful of appearances.

Pickle85

It's not an easy fix. We pay fringe players too much money. It's the cost of keeping some of these players to long term deals.

For me, our biggest issue in this regards is that we overestimate the potential value ( both on and off the pitch) of our younger players. We pay them far too early for minimal performances. If we had Loftus-Cheek or Ihaenacho, they would still be here on 100,000 a week.
Agree with this but would amend to all our players. How Phil Jones and Jesse are on the sums they are is absurd.

tjb

Agree with this but would amend to all our players. How Phil Jones and Jesse are on the sums they are is absurd.
That's because they were young when we bought them.Both the club and our fans really struggle to relate the talent our young players to other teams. eg. How would Martial look if he played for Leicester? Would his poor off the ball movement look even worse elsewhere. It's very hard to estimate when they've barely had first team experience elsewhere

jackal&hyde

fcking chelsea can dump off Abraham to Roma for 40m quid and we can't sell one single player, hell we can't even put a guy out on loan and make a few quid. Our selling policy needs a bit of restructuring.
Apples and oranges. Many of the Chelsea sells are youth players with a bit of credit that were deemed not good enough. Our sales now are players that were considered good enough at one point, but now we have much better. It's a huge difference of wages that must be compensated (by the buying club) with a very small transfer fee. A similar problem is at Arsenal.

Basically poor squad management by the pre Ole era. Give Man United level wages to mediocre players because none of our former managers cared about the future of the club.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Apples and oranges. Many of the Chelsea sells are youth players with a bit of credit that were deemed not good enough. Our sales now are players that were considered good enough at one point, but now we have much better. It's a huge difference of wages that must be compensated (by the buying club) with a very small transfer fee. A similar problem is at Arsenal.

Basically poor squad management by the pre Ole era. Give Man United level wages to mediocre players because none of our former managers cared about the future of the club.
It's also Abraham is a genuine center forward in a football landscape where developing players who can even adequately play that position seem to have stalled. So a young semi-decent striker nowadays is worth megabucks

croadyman

There is no doubt it's frustrating that now we are seemingly getting things in order but because of how things have been done for the last few years we are stuck with players on daft wages unable to shift and costing us that crucial third signing

Abraxas

I think it's easy to say we should be better with our wage structure but it's not so easy. Once you have the likes of Pogba, Martial, DeGea, Rashford on extravagant sums then it does create an inflation among the squad.

We know they have been key figures and therefore paid highly, but once you have done this it becomes difficult to give Eric Bailly 50k a week and maintain some sort of harmony. That might be what he is perceived to be worth from a fan point of view but the issue for the club is once they decide on a status within the squad, the economics filter down. So what do we do in that situation? We can let them go because we don't want to pay them but eventually you have to buy squad replacements and you can guarantee their agents will be fully across the situation too.

It's a similar mechanism to how PSG and City have created a huge inflation within the market, alongside the influx of TV money. There is no buying a squad player for 15 million anymore unless he's an unknown youth, or there are some extenuating circumstances.

I think it comes down to making good decisions, ultimately. You have to be pretty good at assessing the exact moment players have run their course and being brave enough to let them go while it is feasible. You have to make big decisions on youth products. If the analysis is correct then everything else follows. You will still get some wrong, all clubs have overpaid players that take out far more then they give - how many is simply dependent on how well the club operates. But I don't think we are going to arrive at a situation where fringe players are not extraordinarily well paid at United unless football finances burst.

jackal&hyde

There is no doubt it's frustrating that now we are seemingly getting things in order but because of how things have been done for the last few years we are stuck with players on daft wages unable to shift and costing us that crucial third signing
I'm starting to think it's not that crucial really. Since moving Pogba up top and preparing DVB for the double pivot like we've seemingly done in pre season we are fairly well covered. The so called move to a 4 3 3 I think is mostly a myth because it doesn't fit with the exceptional role Bruno is having as a 10/ second striker. A new mid would have been nice but DVB needs to start delivering this season.

croadyman

I'm starting to think it's not that crucial really. Since moving Pogba up top and preparing DVB for the double pivot like we've seemingly done in pre season we are fairly well covered. The so called move to a 4 3 3 I think is mostly a myth because it doesn't fit with the exceptional role Bruno is having as a 10/ second striker. A new mid would have been nice but DVB needs to start delivering this season.
Will Donny be given the opportunity to do that though is the big question

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
No doubt that's the easiest one to do because has only got to travel up the M6 on deadline day if necessary
Give them lingard and 15m. It feels like we haven't dumped our players in years!

Polar

Outgoing Summer
Pereira (loan)
Tuanzebe (loan)
Williams or Dalot (likely loan)
Lingard (likely to West Ham >£20)

Don’t think we can do much more right now. We also need squad depth.

Incoming summer
CM
Trippier

Outgoing 2022
Martial
Cavani
Matic
Mata
James
Jones

Incoming 2022
Haaland

sp_107

Outgoing Summer
Pereira (loan)
Tuanzebe (loan)
Williams or Dalot (likely loan)
Lingard (likely to West Ham >£20)

Don’t think we can do much more right now. We also need squad depth.

Incoming summer
CM
Trippier

Outgoing 2022
Martial
Cavani
Matic
Mata
James
Jones

Incoming 2022
Haaland
You summed up really well. I am also giving up on Martial but like to see what happens with him this year.
If Kieran is an expensive option we can stick with Dalot. not a major issue but hope we can get one of Bissouma/Touchameni/Carmavinga/Ilaix Moriba in this year. They all are quality and not that expensive

I have a feeling Cavani might go for another year. He must be buzzing to score handful infront of fans after watching last week atmosphere

croadyman

You summed up really well. I am also giving up on Martial but like to see what happens with him this year.
If Kieran is an expensive option we can stick with Dalot. not a major issue but hope we can get one of Bissouma/Touchameni/Carmavinga/Ilaix Moriba in this year. They all are quality and not that expensive

I have a feeling Cavani might go for another year. He must be buzzing to score handful infront of fans after watching last week atmosphere
Yeah could really do with one of those midfielders in the £30-£40m bracket before the window closes, however absolutely certain it won't be Trippier and a DM/CM IF we can still manage to sell Jesse for around the £20m plus addons mark

jackal&hyde

Will Donny be given the opportunity to do that though is the big question
I hope so. If we don't buy another mid I'm thinking Donny is the reason. I know it was only pre season but I thought he improved a lot in that role and it makes me feel like most of us were wrong as he was not bought for AM but rather a bit of a project for the double pivot. United was criticized last season as to why buy an AM when you have Bruno and Pogba and Sancho capable of playing there. Judging by pre season, that's not what we have in mind for him.

Olecurls99

Doesn't matter whether Bailly is here or not, Tuanzebe will never be part of the plans here. He's not good enough.
He's hardly played for us. How can you be sure he's not good enough?

I'll always remember his game against PSG. Very few defenders can keep up with Mbappe. I wouldn't be so keen to give away that kind of talent

RedorDead21

Not getting a top DM in this season would feel a little bit like buying the best hiking boots and yet still suffering because you couldn’t be arsed buying some socks.