Further signings dependent on sales?

Giggsy13

The inability to move guys like andres, jones, dalot, matic, mata....for any sort of money is costing us dearly in the transfer market when guys like this become available who are head and shoulders better players

this is quite ridiculous....a player of this quality for that price we should be looking to sign

This is an absolute steal. This is a market where we can really take advantage of financially strapped clubs. We did well with Varane but the squad needs more.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
If he was good enough as a back up RB we wouldn't need to be using FOSU MENSAH and Brandon Williams as back up RBs to AWB
We also wouldn't be subjected to playing AWB for 54 games
Dalot at Milan was not good he ranged from average to decent that's not good enough for a club like Utd and we shouldn't be subjected to him when a team like City can pick between Walker and Cancelo
City can also afford to likely spend 200 + million on players this summer at a time when every club has been losing money hand over fist for the past 18 months. Liverpool's don't have a decent reserve RB, Chelsea's is azpilicueta who hasn't really got the pace to get past the halfway line anymore and is more of a centre-back. Arsenal has Soares(who). Teams aren't going to have 22 all-around outstanding players and I think you need to lower your expectations a bit if you think that what united need to do. While personally, I think Dalot had a better season than you do, let's say you are right, we still have now a reserve RB who was the first choice RB for the team who came second in Seria A last season.

RkkMan

City can also afford to likely spend 200 + million on players this summer at a time when every club has been losing money hand over fist for the past 18 months. Liverpool's don't have a decent reserve RB, Chelsea's is azpilicueta who hasn't really got the pace to get past the halfway line anymore and is more of a centre-back. Arsenal has Soares(who). Teams aren't going to have 22 all-around outstanding players and I think you need to lower your expectations a bit if you think that what united need to do. While personally, I think Dalot had a better season than you do, let's say you are right, we still have now a reserve RB who was the first choice RB for the team who came second in Seria A last season.
Correction
Davide Callabria was the first choice RB for the 2nd placed team in the Serie A. Dalot was nothing more than a perennial back up and Milan fans will tell you the same(a lot I've talked to have told me that) a club of our standards can do MUCH better than Dalot
And if you're going to compare us to other teams don't compare us to an 8th placed Arsenal team and Chelsea still have Reece James who's a better all round RB than AWB. Liverpool's lack of depth is why they almost dropped out of top 4 last season if Trent had a similar injury to VVD their right hand side would struggle big time to create anything again bad comparison
Yes we can't have outstanding players in every position but if a RB of Trippier's quality who's a Spanish Champion and an full English international is available for circa £20m with Dalot(who's on the chopping board) is your "back up" you're shooting yourself in the foot massively not buying him

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Correction
Davide Callabria was the first choice RB for the 2nd placed team in the Serie A. Dalot was nothing more than a perennial back up and Milan fans will tell you the same(a lot I've talked to have told me that) a club of our standards can do MUCH better than Dalot
And if you're going to compare us to other teams don't compare us to an 8th placed Arsenal team and Chelsea still have Reece James who's a better all round RB than AWB. Liverpool's lack of depth is why they almost dropped out of top 4 last season if Trent had a similar injury to VVD their right hand side would struggle big time to create anything again bad comparison
Yes we can't have outstanding players in every position but if a RB of Trippier's quality who's a Spanish Champion and an full English international is available for circa £20m with Dalot(who's on the chopping board) is your "back up" you're shooting yourself in the foot massively not buying him
Completely disagree, spending around 20 million and high wages and a decent length contract on a backup full back who will be 31 in september is daft. we will be sitting here before the end of the contract going how do we get rid of him why did we give such a big contract.... why arn't united selling him... and fans the same fans calling for him now will be shouting at the owners for not selling him within 2 years. If Tripper was available for a nominal fee and a 2 year deal with an option of a 3rd I may agree. But 20 million for a player his age to act as back up no thank you.

RkkMan

Completely disagree, spending around 20 million and high wages and a decent length contract on a backup full back who will be 31 in september is daft. we will be sitting here before the end of the contract going how do we get rid of him why did we give such a big contract.... why arn't united selling him... and fans the same fans calling for him now will be shouting at the owners for not selling him within 2 years. If Tripper was available for a nominal fee and a 2 year deal with an option of a 3rd I may agree. But 20 million for a player his age to act as back up no thank you.
£20m is literally his market value and he's no longer the average player people saw at Spurs he's improved a lot under Simeone and worth the short term investment considering Laird and AWB are on our books. It seems you're part of the FIFA generation who think a player is past it once he hits 30. Leave alone La Liga(where he was named in Team of The Season)if you watched him at The Euros you'd see he's still a top class fullback and BTW he's the same age as Kyle Walker who doesn't look like he's slowing down himself. I agree he shouldn't be on a big contract 2+1 for £15-20m is very good value for him

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
£20m is literally his market value and he's no longer the average player people saw at Spurs he's improved a lot under Simeone and worth the short term investment considering Laird and AWB are on our books. It seems you're part of the FIFA generation who think a player is past it once he hits 30. Leave alone La Liga(where he was named in Team of The Season)if you watched him at The Euros you'd see he's still a top class fullback and BTW he's the same age as Kyle Walker who doesn't look like he's slowing down himself. I agree he shouldn't be on a big contract 2+1 for £15-20m is very good value for him
It’s only market value if someone will pay it. I’m not seeing a lot of clubs paying 20 million for back up right-backs in there 30’s

The last time I played Fifa was 1997 I had it on the pc, you use to be able to win by positioning your player infront of the opposition's goalkeeper and they would kick it at you and it would bounce in. I think I played football manager in 2008 if that counts, but it was never a patch on ultimate manager soccer 2 from 1998 classic game!

anyway how many fullbacks in the premier league are in their mid 30’s? Walker is a few months older than Trippier, you seriously don’t think Walker is gonna slow down in the next few years? I would also add to that Trippier is hardly that fastest player now, so losing more pace wouldn’t be great especially when in the premier league full-backs are basically expected to cover the whole pitch. Plus our centre back pairing is hardly pacey. Maguire is on the slow side and Varane about average.

20 million for a couple of years of a backup player, sorry but I don’t agree that is good value. I also think tripper will at least demand a 3 year guaranteed contract and personally think the odds will be very good that before the end of that contract we would be struggling to off load him and not being able to Because his wages will be too high.

Last edited:

bosskeano

We'll get the 5 mil for the sell on fee up front but the remainder of what is owed for Lukaku will be paid in the pre-agreed installments (unless Inter want to pay a lump sum to get rid of the debt) so it probably doesn't alter our transfer funds all that much.
probably...i saw a report where the next installment isn't until april 2022 so that's probably right in that we won't see that payment made until then as Inter will want to replace Lukaku wiht either Abraham or Zupata

bosskeano

Personly think we should be charging a pretty dime for Dalot. I don’t get why people are so desperate for us to sell an obviously really talented player not reached his prime yet and replace him with trippier a player past his prime. Especially considering both should be playing back up for AWB
mainly as there are only 3 guys who have real value in the market right now that we could sell(Dalot, Pogba, Lingard) . The problem is 2 of them are overpriced based on how they have performed and the other is clearly dragging out his contract

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
mainly as there are only 3 guys who have real value in the market right now that we could sell(Dalot, Pogba, Lingard) . The problem is 2 of them are overpriced based on how they have performed and the other is clearly dragging out his contract
I think maybe we could add James to that list. we could possibly sell him for around 10 million if a club came in for him. The problem is the number of clubs with money right now are few and far between. So selling anyone is hard.

RkkMan

H
It’s only market value if someone will pay it. I’m not seeing a lot of clubs paying 20 million for back up right-backs in there 30’s

The last time I played Fifa was 1997 I had it on the pc, you use to be able to win by positioning your player infront of the opposition's goalkeeper and they would kick it at you and it would bounce in. I think I played football manager in 2008 if that counts, but it was never a patch on ultimate manager soccer 2 from 1998 classic game!

anyway how many fullbacks in the premier league are in their mid 30’s? Walker is a few months older than Trippier, you seriously don’t think Walker is gonna slow down in the next few years? I would also add to that Trippier is hardly that fastest player now, so losing more pace wouldn’t be great especially when in the premier league full-backs are basically expected to cover the whole pitch. Plus our centre back pairing is hardly pacey. Maguire is on the slow side and Varane about average.

20 million for a couple of years of a backup player, sorry but I don’t agree that is good value. I also think tripper will at least demand a 3 year guaranteed contract and personally think the odds will be very good that before the end of that contract we would be struggling to off old him and not being able to Because his wages will be too high.
We don't always need to look at what other clubs are doing but us and facts are AWB is our only good fullback and he's extremely below par attacking wise compared to his age mates(TAA, Reece James even Max Aarons) and compared to the quality we need. Doesn't take away the fact that he's a potentially top class RB but he needs REAL competition and Dalot quality wise is on a similar level to Williams(meaning the gap in quality is too huge for either scale to be fully depended on) If AWB got complacent or God forbid injured long term(which is possible with the number of games he's played) we'd have a massive gaping hole there as his alternatives barely even start for top 8 teams. An experienced PL and European proven RB like Trippier is what he needs to keep him on his toes like Shaw and someone he can learn from attacking wise and again I watched him a lot for Atletico last season you're underestimating his pace massively. Your worry on him potentially slowing down is over stretched as he's meant to be a SHORT TERM buy plan is in 1/2 years AWB is more established and Laird is ready for first team football Trippier is the perfect guy to offer us solutions in that small time frame
Danny Ings who has zero Major Honors, European Pedigree to his name at 29 went for £30m £10m less for the best RB in La Liga is more than reasonable and you're not in his head to say how much he'll demand I'm sure Utd have a clear idea of it since they've defo talked to his people if it was unreasonable we wouldn't bother pursuing him

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
H

We don't always need to look at what other clubs are doing but us and facts are AWB is our only good fullback and he's extremely below par attacking wise compared to his age mates(TAA, Reece James even Max Aarons) and compared to the quality we need. Doesn't take away the fact that he's a potentially top class RB but he needs REAL competition and Dalot quality wise is on a similar level to Williams(meaning the gap in quality is too huge for either scale to be fully depended on) If AWB got complacent or God forbid injured long term(which is possible with the number of games he's played) we'd have a massive gaping hole there as his alternatives barely even start for top 8 teams. An experienced PL and European proven RB like Trippier is what he needs to keep him on his toes like Shaw and someone he can learn from attacking wise and again I watched him a lot for Atletico last season you're underestimating his pace massively. Your worry on him potentially slowing down is over stretched as he's meant to be a SHORT TERM buy plan is in 1/2 years AWB is more established and Laird is ready for first team football Trippier is the perfect guy to offer us solutions in that small time frame
Danny Ings who has zero Major Honors, European Pedigree to his name at 29 went for £30m £10m less for the best RB in La Liga is more than reasonable and you're not in his head to say how much he'll demand I'm sure Utd have a clear idea of it since they've defo talked to his people if it was unreasonable we wouldn't bother pursuing him
you were the one who started the comparisons with the city comparison. which as we have established are pretty much the only PL team with 2 top level RB's. Then at the end of your post, your compare it to a striker, who are always more expensive than full-backs.

Are you are talking about spending 20 million pounds and commit to between around 5 million in wages a year for a minimum of 3 years for a short-term buy. Sorry but that's reckless spending and terrible business for a backup right back.

RkkMan

you were the one who started the comparisons with the city comparison. which as we have established are pretty much the only PL team with 2 top level RB's. Then at the end of your post, your compare it to a striker, who are always more expensive than full-backs.

Are you are talking about spending 20 million pounds and commit to between around 5 million in wages a year for a minimum of 3 years for a short-term buy. Sorry but that's reckless spending and terrible business for a backup right back.
I meant we don't have to look at how other clubs spend but rather the quality. Just because nobody else buys experienced fullbacks doesn't mean we shouldn't if it's what we need. No other PL club would have touched Cavani in a year but he's been an astute buy despite his age. The reason I compared him to Ings is due to the levels at which they are proven, nationality and age laughable for you to judge a fullback like he should be based on goals when Trippier does his job as a defender much better than Ings does as a ST. If a mid table ST that's never set foot in a CL game or European final is worth £30m then a top level fullback that's off the back of the best season of his career can justify £15-20m(we already had an offer of £10m knocked back early in the window so whether you like it or not he'll cost more than that)
Once again you're in and out of your head already assuming he'll be here for 3 years and even if he is if he provides 2 top class seasons and one okay but ageing season whilst helping us win trophies and Laird/AWB ready to take over it will be worth the money

RkkMan

And as an additional point go see this website. It's a verified platform that's been around for a while that gives accurate assessment of player values. Trippier's value is €22m which is approximately £18/19m which makes £20m justifiable
https://www.transfermarkt.com/

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
And as an additional point go see this website. It's a verified platform that's been around for a while that gives accurate assessment of player values. Trippier's value is €22m which is approximately £18/19m which makes £20m justifiable
https://www.transfermarkt.com/
I meant we don't have to look at how other clubs spend but rather the quality. Just because nobody else buys experienced fullbacks doesn't mean we shouldn't if it's what we need. No other PL club would have touched Cavani in a year but he's been an astute buy despite his age. The reason I compared him to Ings is due to the levels at which they are proven, nationality and age laughable for you to judge a fullback like he should be based on goals when Trippier does his job as a defender much better than Ings does as a ST. If a mid table ST that's never set foot in a CL game or European final is worth £30m then a top level fullback that's off the back of the best season of his career can justify £15-20m(we already had an offer of £10m knocked back early in the window so whether you like it or not he'll cost more than that)
Once again you're in and out of your head already assuming he'll be here for 3 years and even if he is if he provides 2 top class seasons and one okay but ageing season whilst helping us win trophies and Laird/AWB ready to take over it will be worth the money
The reason other clubs don't is that clubs don't have an endless supply of money ( i know many football fans struggle with this concept) so spending 20 million on a short-term backup RB in their 30's is not justifiable.

Maybe you could make an argument if we were rolling in cash, we hadn't spent any money, the team was perfect apart from that and the manger really wanted him. But weve already spent over 100 million, we have a ridiculous massive squad that is hard to sell any off, we have lost money hand over fist the last 2 seasons. So you can't go spending 20 million pounds and handing out fairly chunky contracts to a backup RB in their 30's that's reckless!

As for Ings that same website you reference says he scores a goal every 187 minutes in the premier league, basically a goal every 2 games your not gonna get that for many 30 million pounds players, especially ones available to mid-table club like villa. Plus strikers are like gold dust these days and he is nearly 2 years younger than Tripper. not at all comparable.

Last edited:

RkkMan

The reason other clubs don't is that clubs don't have an endless supply of money ( i know many football fans struggle with this concept) so spending 20 million on a short-term backup RB in their 30's is not justifiable.

As for Ings that same website you reference says he scores a goal every 187 minutes in the premier league, basically a goal every 2 games your not gonna get that for many 30 million pounds players, especially ones available to mid-table club like villa. Plus strikers are like gold dust these days.
Have you missed the point where I said other clubs don't spend that on experienced fullbacks because they're not in a position where they NEED to? Several could afford £15-20m for Trippier but in the case of these clubs
Liverpool- TAA is already a top class attacking fullback he doesn't need experienced competition
Chelsea- Reece James is already a top class attacking fullback and Azpilicueta is there
City- You know (I'm using those 3 as the examples because they're our direct title competitors they're the standard)
You can't tell me Williams and Dalot are good back ups no matter how much you try to spin it none of them even make the reserves of the team I've mentioned so why should we settle for them? AWB compared to the fullbacks of those teams is a level below attacking wise. We need a proven attacking fullback we can rely on to give us an avenue facing low blocks and a tactical weapon in games we wish to use a back 3 and wingbacks. Trippier ticks so many boxes I'm shocked at how blind you're choosing to be about it
- Proven in the PL won't need time to settle
- Can play as a RB, RWB, LB, LWB(assisted Shaw's goal in the Euros at LWB) and he can play all those positions WELL not just playing there for the sake of having 11 players on the field
- Has experience on the big stage from CLs, Euros and in league that's dominated by Barcelona and Madrid where he was voted the best RB of the season
- Spanish Champion so a player with a winning mentality
- At 30/31 he won't hinder AWB/Laird long term compared to signing someone like Aarons/Hakimi
- A boyhood Utd fan so he'll give it his ALL for every game
- *Possibly available for a fee that matches his current value
- Coming off the best season of his career so he has momentum he can carry into a new club
As for Ings l won't dig too much into it but I will say we got an even better experienced ST FOR FREE from a foreign league. He's a good player but Southampton will be laughing their way to the bank with £30M Simeone on the other hand will be very upset to lose Trippier for below £20m(if he does)

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Have you missed the point where I said other clubs don't spend that on experienced fullbacks because they're not in a position where they NEED to? Several could afford £15-20m for Trippier but in the case of these clubs
Liverpool- TAA is already a top class attacking fullback he doesn't need experienced competition
Chelsea- Reece James is already a top class attacking fullback and Azpilicueta is there
City- You know (I'm using those 3 as the examples because they're our direct title competitors they're the standard)
You can't tell me Williams and Dalot are good back ups no matter how much you try to spin it none of them even make the reserves of the team I've mentioned so why should we settle for them? AWB compared to the fullbacks of those teams is a level below attacking wise. We need a proven attacking fullback we can rely on to give us an avenue facing low blocks and a tactical weapon in games we wish to use a back 3 and wingbacks. Trippier ticks so many boxes I'm shocked at how blind you're choosing to be about it
- Proven in the PL won't need time to settle
- Can play as a RB, RWB, LB, LWB(assisted Shaw's goal in the Euros at LWB) and he can play all those positions WELL not just playing there for the sake of having 11 players on the field
- Has experience on the big stage from CLs, Euros and in league that's dominated by Barcelona and Madrid where he was voted the best RB of the season
- Spanish Champion so a player with a winning mentality
- At 30/31 he won't hinder AWB/Laird long term compared to signing someone like Aarons/Hakimi
- A boyhood Utd fan so he'll give it his ALL for every game
- *Possibly available for a fee that matches his current value
- Coming off the best season of his career so he has momentum he can carry into a new club
As for Ings l won't dig too much into it but I will say we got an even better experienced ST FOR FREE from a foreign league. He's a good player but Southampton will be laughing their way to the bank with £30M Simeone on the other hand will be very upset to lose Trippier for below £20m(if he does)
I haven't missed the point at all, you still want us to spend 20 million pounds and a hefty wage contract for a backup right back in his 30's. whatever way you want to paint it that reckless spending.
Yes, clubs could afford trippier, in fact, he would be a useful squad player for most of the top half of the premier league only City I would say don't need an RB currently. yet no one is daft enough to spend that kind of money on a backup right back in his 30's. And yeah i'd say Dalot would get in the squads of most of the top half of the premier league as a reserve right back. As going through the list none of them jump out as being particularly blessed in that position in terms of depth.

I would argue he would definitely hinder any development of Laird as with AWB and trippier he would not come in within a million miles of the first team for at least 3 years so we would be completely reliant on him getting good loan spells which as everyone knows is very hit and miss.
Also as for momentum and best year of his career, if trippier did come in we don't want him to be a starter, what we want is for him to add some solid competition to AWB and maybe get AWB to raise his attacking game slightly. But mainly we want him to cover when AWB is injured or needs a break so momentum is not going to last very long sitting on the bench waiting for the first choice player to need a break and 20 million for a short term buy on hefty wages which will almost definitely stretch beyond his prime is just reckless spending for that.

Last edited:

croadyman

Whitwell says progress on outgoings is slow, yeah might be something to do with the fact we greatly overvalue our players and they are on far too much money and until we are prepared to lower prices can't see anything changing and no midfielder signed

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking at City signing Grealish for 100m (with the possibility of a Kane purchase to come) and Chelsea looking like splashing out more again on Lukaku of all people, two thoughts occur to me:

1) Our two purchases this summer have been good deals relative to our rivals'.

2) It will nonetheless be disappointing if both City and Chelsea are able to outspend us this summer.

It's not even that I object to us needing to sell to spend but more that it's irritating if we're ultimately unable to strengthen further because we were unable to offload players we want to get rid of.

Obviously there's still plenty of the window to go but if we were to end up in a situation where the 100m transfer mark is broken three times in this window by other PL clubs, our own financial commitment to strengthening the squad would look less ambitious if it stays as it is, even if the deals themselves are good.

bosskeano

Looking at City signing Grealish for 100m (with the possibility of a Kane purchase to come) and Chelsea looking like splashing out more again on Lukaku of all people, two thoughts occur to me:

2) It will nonetheless be disappointing if both City and Chelsea are able to outspend us this summer.

It's not even that I object to us needing to sell to spend but more that it's irritating if we're ultimately unable to strengthen further because we were unable to offload players we want to get rid of.

Obviously there's still plenty of the window to go but if we were to end up in a situation where the 100m transfer mark is broken three times in this window by other PL clubs, our own financial commitment to strengthening the squad would look less ambitious if it stays as it is, even if the deals themselves are good.
why??? they are both supported by a country and who are basically given funds by said countries to do as they wish

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
why??? they are both supported by a country and who are basically given funds by said countries to do as they wish
Because we're an insanely rich club in our own right, even hampered as we've been by our owners.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Why would you care about what something looks like rather than what is? Like you said our signings have been brilliant and it's been a while since we can say that

Give me Sancho and Varane over Grealish alone or Lukaku (LOL) alone any day of the week. It's actually ridiculous we've got those two players for roughly the same amount as those players on their own

bosskeano

Because we're an insanely rich club in our own right, even hampered as we've been by our owners.
point taken...United is a wealthy club but our clubs are vastly different in terms of structure and money. United has to earn their money through football and sponsorships. Those other two do not thus they have unlimited budgets.

MattofManchester

Despite the signings of Sancho and Varane, I'll be very, very sad if we don't get a midfielder.

Fred and Mctominay are good at what they do, but it's not good enough, and more often than not it hinders us.

Womp

idiot
Ole's comments are quite worrying tbf. Him saying anything else is just a bonus and we've strengthened where we need to strengthen seems to suggest the fact that we have no fecking actual defensive midfielder isn't an issue.

Derry City Red

I'm afraid Ole is going to be a yes man to the Glaziers if he's happy with our transfers for the new season. While both are amazing, it took us a year to get one done and the other was a bonus. We are far from being strengthened in all the right areas. We need a CDM and a striker, City have won a league and Cup double and just lost in the CL but are going to spend 260m on 2 already proven world class players . Chelsea won the CL and are bringing in a world class forward (we let go btw, still irks me) for over 100m. These are teams we need to be better than to win major trophie and if we get an injury to pogba or bruno we are back to McFred.

RkkMan

I haven't missed the point at all, you still want us to spend 20 million pounds and a hefty wage contract for a backup right back in his 30's. whatever way you want to paint it that reckless spending.
Yes, clubs could afford trippier, in fact, he would be a useful squad player for most of the top half of the premier league only City I would say don't need an RB currently. yet no one is daft enough to spend that kind of money on a backup right back in his 30's. And yeah i'd say Dalot would get in the squads of most of the top half of the premier league as a reserve right back. As going through the list none of them jump out as being particularly blessed in that position in terms of depth.

I would argue he would definitely hinder any development of Laird as with AWB and trippier he would not come in within a million miles of the first team for at least 3 years so we would be completely reliant on him getting good loan spells which as everyone knows is very hit and miss.
Also as for momentum and best year of his career, if trippier did come in we don't want him to be a starter, what we want is for him to add some solid competition to AWB and maybe get AWB to raise his attacking game slightly. But mainly we want him to cover when AWB is injured or needs a break so momentum is not going to last very long sitting on the bench waiting for the first choice player to need a break and 20 million for a short term buy on hefty wages which will almost definitely stretch beyond his prime is just reckless spending for that.
Just a question considering a £10m offer was already knocked back how much do you value him for? Even though other verified platforms value him closer to what Utd want to buy him for? We're not talking about an Ashley Young/Valencia level fullback here for Gods sake
Once again you're just assuming things to fit your agenda/sound relevant you don't know how long he'll last at Utd or how much time Utd will actually give him but I'll say this. If he comes for 3 seasons it's not detrimental Laird will be out on loan in the Championship again for one year and probably a PL loan for another year. A 3rd season where Laird is transitioned into the first team as Trippier is transitioned out(and acting as a mentor) is solid planning
Your point on Dalot being a RESERVE RB for most of the top 10 teams is not a compliment to his ability. If a player of his age in your eyes is good enough to challenge AWB(who I repeat despite his flaws is still a top RB) he should be able to start for most top teams if he's not or at best good enough for Everton's bench he's not good enough for us simple. Otherwise we'd never go through a 2yr hassle of trying out TFM and Williams as back ups or in a position where we have to sign someone else because he's not up to standard
On your last point once again Wan Bissaka played FIFTY FOUR GAMES last season that is not normal for a fullback who's game is heavily reliant on pace and energy. He doesn't start for England as regularly as a fit Trent/Shaw yet Everytime he's called upon he never looks fazed or lacking match fitness he'll be fine rotating with AWB with both set to get a lot of game time during a long season anyway and again if he actually makes AWB step up his game doesn't it make him worth the money?!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ole's comments are quite worrying tbf. Him saying anything else is just a bonus and we've strengthened where we need to strengthen seems to suggest the fact that we have no fecking actual defensive midfielder isn't an issue.
He's not going to say otherwise.
Confirms what we have been hearing. Next moves are dependent on sales.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Just a question considering a £10m offer was already knocked back how much do you value him for? Even though other verified platforms value him closer to what Utd want to buy him for? We're not talking about an Ashley Young/Valencia level fullback here for Gods sake
Once again you're just assuming things to fit your agenda/sound relevant you don't know how long he'll last at Utd or how much time Utd will actually give him but I'll say this. If he comes for 3 seasons it's not detrimental Laird will be out on loan in the Championship again for one year and probably a PL loan for another year. A 3rd season where Laird is transitioned into the first team as Trippier is transitioned out(and acting as a mentor) is solid planning
Your point on Dalot being a RESERVE RB for most of the top 10 teams is not a compliment to his ability. If a player of his age in your eyes is good enough to challenge AWB(who I repeat despite his flaws is still a top RB) he should be able to start for most top teams if he's not or at best good enough for Everton's bench he's not good enough for us simple. Otherwise we'd never go through a 2yr hassle of trying out TFM and Williams as back ups or in a position where we have to sign someone else because he's not up to standard
On your last point once again Wan Bissaka played FIFTY FOUR GAMES last season that is not normal for a fullback who's game is heavily reliant on pace and energy. He doesn't start for England as regularly as a fit Trent/Shaw yet Everytime he's called upon he never looks fazed or lacking match fitness he'll be fine rotating with AWB with both set to get a lot of game time during a long season anyway and again if he actually makes AWB step up his game doesn't it make him worth the money?!
I think 10 million should be 100% the maximum you pay for short term player your planning on using as a back up right back. Again doesn’t matter what a site or club value a player as being worth it’s what a team is willing to pay for him. If athletico value him at 20 million and we only value him at 10 then the player stays with the club.
As for Dalot getting into most top 10 teams squads not being a compliment on the players ability. Whether it is or isn’t it shows you the realistic level fans should expect from a reserve RB, unless your club has bottomless piles of cash you arn’t going to have 2 great players for every position. And we don’t have bottomless piles of cash, we have lost money the last 2 years, already spent 100+ million and have a ridiculously massive squad, to which selling any of the fringe players is proving more than a little difficult.

Your assessments of what would happen if we sign Trippier are all based on best case scenarios.
Laird your assuming will just have 2 successful loan spells and then come back to to the club and me mentored. Well loan spells are a complete crap shoot your basically relying on the coaching and development of other clubs to develop your player for you for the next 2 years that very regularly goes wrong. And we see players not progressing or even regressing due to bad loan spells. Or players just don’t develop like you think they will. So assuming it would it go great in the case of Laird is more than a little bit of a leap. Plus the whole experienced player acts as a mentor rarely works out like that. Regularly the experienced player is worried about there position and game time. Plus what Laird would need if he did come back in 2 years is game time. With to other right backs at the club that wouldn’t be easy to come by.

We also don’t know how Trippier will react to being a bit part player. I am sure attitude wise he would be beyond professional as that the kind of player he comes across as, but even professional players can rapidly loose form when they become a bit part player. Not to mention a lot it regular for players to take time to adapt to a change of club so again assuming Trippier will be able to fufill the back up role and not loose any form is in no way certain

For that matter we have no idea how AWB, Shaw acted incredibly well, but not all players do AWB may take as the manager doesn’t trust him and it may affect his confidence and may hinder his development rather than help it.

So your assessment that what will happen is that Laird develops on loan, Tripper comes in and offers will meaning solid competition when needed with no dip in form from changing clubs if becoming a bit part player for a couple of season before stepping aside and mentoring Laird. And AWB takes it all in his stride and develops even quicker is very much the everything goes perfect out come, but how often does the best possible outcome happen?
The opposite side of that is Laird disappears into the wildernesses with some bad loan spells, Trippier takes a bit of time to adapt and struggles to adapt to being a bit part player and AWB takes a knock on confidence that affects his form. this is the opposite side of the picture you paint. Again like the everything goes right scenario you painted it isn’t all likly to happen but is as likly to happen as the everything goes to plan scenario.

What will likly happen is some where in the middle of the two scenarios.

As for it being worth the money, unless a club has bottomless piles of money 20 million and a chunky contract for a back up/reserve right back in there 30’s is just reckless spending. 10 million and a 2 year deal you can maybe just about justify. But more than that in the current financial climate is just reckless spending.

Last edited:

Bestietom

If Ole says we need more signings, then I would expect more sales. Those I would expect to be sold to raise funds are.
Pereira
Bailly
Dalot
James
Matic
Lingard
Williams

Don't know how much these will bring in, but wage bill will be reduced.
We will add Trippier and Camavinga to our squad.

bosskeano

He's not going to say otherwise.
Confirms what we have been hearing. Next moves are dependent on sales.
no doubt....he's not going to jump out there and say we're going to spend big again but only if something comes along that fits the value and need of the squad

laughtersassassin

According to Luckhurst who has been spot on all summer we will be getting a third signing.

Though it sounds like it will be Trippier.

Who is a good signing in his own right but DM is the biggest whole in our squad and it's what will likely stop us competing at the very top next season.

wolvored

Seems Williams and Tuanzebe are going out on loan which is much needed,
Pereira is for sale
Dalot appears to have admirers
Lingard i think will stay as he knows Utd are gonna be good this season.
Not going to make much in sales.
Pereira will go for 15m + add ons
Dalot loan or 10m + add ons.
Jones i can't decide if he's going to leave on a free or sit his contract out.
Tuanzebe will be 24 this year so why we gave him a new contract and sent out on loan again I'll never understand. Hes not going to ever be a starter here. This club is a joke giving stupid contracts out.

bosskeano

According to Luckhurst who has been spot on all summer we will be getting a third signing.

Though it sounds like it will be Trippier.

Who is a good signing in his own right but DM is the biggest whole in our squad and it's what will likely stop us competing at the very top next season.
i disagree simply because of the Varane signing. He's head and shoulders better than Lindelof which makes it easier for the other players knowing we have two solid CB's.

Trippier gives us a legit player at outside who can give us something in the attack and he's not poor defensively. We didn't have legit cover for AWB last year.

laughtersassassin

i disagree simply because of the Varane signing. He's head and shoulders better than Lindelof which makes it easier for the other players knowing we have two solid CB's.

Trippier gives us a legit player at outside who can give us something in the attack and he's not poor defensively. We didn't have legit cover for AWB last year.
We will see. If we are playing Fred and McTominay together in more that 1/4 of games this season then we fecked up.

I'd only even consider them together Against the top six and even then I personally think it's a mistake. They where found out last season.

Also do we want to have to sign a Pogba replacement and a DM next summer. Surely you do the DM now

It's already years overdue

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Back then in 2007/2008, someone like Brown and Hargreaves act like our Fred and McTominay. If we are signing a good attacking right back then depends on how we set up, Fred and McTominay could have important role in XI.

hobbers

Have to laugh at anyone who thinks we're a club who are good at moving on the deadwood.