Future Manager Speculation

Fully Fledged

I thing is the board needs to look at what the long term goal is. If they want to play modern attacking football long term then allowing Jose to bring in another half dozen 6’ 3”+ midfield players will not help that long term goal.

If they are happy being a rich man’s Bolton then let him carry on. The thing is this style of football won’t attract new fans. So over time our fanbase will decrease.

we need to appoint based on characteristics rather than reputation

find a coach who

1. plays effective attacking football
2. is positive and relates well to his players
3. can organise a side defensively
4. plans in the medium to long term
5. is flexible and pragmatic when he needs to be.

that's what we need
6.Belives in and promotes youth :)

ash_86

If Klopp was our manager people would moan like crazy at dropping daft points and shipping stupid goals whilst going out the cup to West Brom.

United fans are spoilt like mad. Under Fergie we had incredible results and incredible football, over an incredibly long period of time too. It’s probably the biggest success story in the history of football.

The only manager who could also bring brilliant results whilst playing amazing football is Pep. Even he never lasts more than 3-4 years at a team.

Any manager wouldn’t compare with Fergie. I think Mouriniho is a clown but we’d probably be better off sticking with so we can actually build something and get a bit of stability, rather than starting all over again. After all, we only have 1 club to try and stop now rather than having to focus on getting back in the CL or even just trying to win back the feeling of winning football matches like after Moyes left.
Thanks for the sensible post .

Cal?

CR7 fan
I honestly don't get the Caf obsession with Pochettino, he's managed to have a worse season than us in every competition despite having a better squad.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think that after Mourinho you should decide if you want to continue with the model of signing a coach, give initiative in signings / style and repeat the process after two or three years.
I do not think you should imitate the entire premier league and sign the most fashionable foreign coach.
Van Gaal and Mourinho, although elite coaches denote very conservative decisions.
I would bet on someone from the club ,a former player who wants his first experience or a young British coach, who knows
United's style in the past and knows how to compile it with the changes in current tactics.
Luis Enrique, Simeone and Zidane are examples of this. Ex players, who know very well how the club works,appreciated by fans and that will be respected in the dressing room, your own Zidane.
It is a risky decision up to a point, but in the end the quality of the squad and their implication are key to success.

DownRiver

Before hiring a new manager we need to look at who is hiring these managers?

Woodward needs to be under pressure as since the turnover from 2013 to become the Cheif Exec, 3 out of 5 years we were outside the top 4; out of those 5 years (where Leicester one a premier league medal!), we didn't win a single PL title.

There is no excuse, we have been the richest club in the Premier league since 2013 (and beyond) and it's simply down to mismanagement.

I mean we had Moyes, LVG and Mourinho; three of the most pragmatic and mind-numbing brands of football in the whole of the footballing world. I am not exaggerating. I can't remember a match where I looked forward to tearing the opposite team apart! I am not trying to bash this club, but there needs to be some accountability.

Arsenal are at least setting up a plan with Sven Mislintat and trying to not repeat the same mistakes as United.

Woodward has no option but to get the most attacking footballing brains in world football, as pragmatism and old ideas have not done the club any favours.

Reactions: Niall

Moiraine

I honestly don't get the Caf obsession with Pochettino, he's managed to have a worse season than us in every competition despite having a better squad.
I don't get it, i mean all the negativity about Pochettino from you guys. The signings that were made to look ordinary by the likes of Tim Sherwood, and all the pensioners of Soccer Saturday were laughing that Tottenham has wasted the money they got from Bale and Modric. He took the seat and those players who were made to look ordinary by AVB and Sherwood, he transformed them into real fighters.

It is now third season in a row that they have finished 3rd or above with the net spend of 18 million, 28 million amd (-15) million in last 3 seasons.
We were not winning under Ferguson for many years, it was actually 4th season under him that United managed to win FA Cup. Give this guy some credit where it is due.

Jig1234

This is not a Mourinho Out cry*

I would love to see someone like Leonardo Jardim at Utd. He is great with young players, I would love to see someone like him working with Gomes, Chong, Tuanzebe etc.

crossy1686

career ending
Criteria*

*Someone who understands the clubs culture before getting the job. I don't want another manager to come in and impose their style or philosophy on us, they should already know what everyone related to the club wants. The only way I can see that happening is if we appoint someone who is a United fan.

Seriously feel we should consider either a recent ex United player or McKenna. I appreciate McKenna has done feck at all this stage but Pep hadn't done much either before he got the Barcelona job. If not him, Solskjaer, Rio, Giggs, Neville, Scholes, Butt, Keane, Carrick etc.

I appreciate that some of those names are ridiculous or depressing if you think about it for too long but I'm still upset about the cup final.

Aloysius's Back 3

Definitely someone inside the club or has a history within the club.

I like the fact that for once fans would have to unite and be patient and double think before contemplating chucking one of Butt, Giggs, or Mckenna out of the door and more importantly; give them time to improve and grow in to this position. The Longevity & dedication that SAF provided to this club is an underrated aspect of what we have been looking for in our candidates so far.

For me; I think it's almost guaranteed long term success in comparison to a manager with a 2-3 year contract that we get tired of because he does something wrong from the eyes of the fans or the pundits. Though Guardiola left Barcelona; the benefit of that homegrown manager path created a legendary team that has trickled down to help Barcelona continue winning trophies long after the guy has gone under different managers too (not taking anything away from the other managers). Zidane is introducing more long term planning that I personally have ever seen before with Madrid.

I'm okay if we take a long time to get where we need to go- as long as when we get there; we stay there. For that we need a manager who fits that same criteria.

Andersons Dietician

If Klopp was our manager people would moan like crazy at dropping daft points and shipping stupid goals whilst going out the cup to West Brom.
Sounds familiar to our season already, dropping stupid points, going out of cup competitions to people we shouldn’t. People moaning about it and all.

At the moment Pochettino. By next year that could easily change. Someone else might emerge or Poch might have an absolute disaster. Everything I’ve seen of him since Southampton and a few random Espanyol games however tells me he has something.
Loved Tuchels Dortmund, Jardims Monaco and then Sarri. Always liked Bielsa since that Bilbao season but Poch now knows the league, what is expected of United and so on.

saivet

Wasn't Jardim known as a more defensive/pragmatic mind coach until his Monaco of 16/17? Apparently he adapts to the players he has and is flexible with his tactics and style, which is interesting. Him and Pochettino would be my preferred choices.
I remember when City drew Monaco and my first thought was, they'll make it a boring game because of what I heard about them before.

I just looked it up and in 14/15, Monaco scored 4 goals in their group conceding just one goal, finishing top.

They played Arsenal next who fecked up in typical fashion, but showed themselves to be solid at the back. They then had a borefest tie with Juve in the QFs where they were knocked out 1-0 on aggregate.

gibers

We need a manager that plays free flowing attacking tiki takar football (:

C'est Moi Cantona

Someone who will mould himself to the attacking traditions of our club, not someone who thinks we should mould ourselves to his traditions.

If someone came in with some real life about themselves, the appetite to embrace the job, and play the right way, even if we didn't win as much as we all want, then I firmly believe we'd all be behind them, as it is we are marking time until Jose leaves, and dreading next season.

I'd be inclined to say Poch, but it just depends on who is there when Jose implodes.

Canagel

Wasn't Jardim known as a more defensive/pragmatic mind coach until his Monaco of 16/17? Apparently he adapts to the players he has and is flexible with his tactics and style, which is interesting. Him and Pochettino would be my preferred choices.
He was. In 2014/15 I remember they were very defensive against Arsenal in the two legs and played counter attack. But then suddenly he became this ultra attacking manager in 2016/17. The Monaco team scored over 150 goals in all competitions which is seriously impressive. He also trusts the youth but more importantly like you said he seems very adaptable to the players he has. He has to be someone the board take into consideration for the future.

Bojan11

Here are my 5

Potchetinno
Zidane
Conte
Tuchel
Jardim

Simeone would be the last resort as I’m not convinced by his style.

Bestietom

Jose will be our manager for the next 10 years. Don't waste your time trying to find someone else.
If he doesn't win the Premiership next season after spending another 250 million and continues to play this kind of football, he deserves the boot

Thoth

What's Blanc up to these days?

He would be my choice. His PSG side played some amazing Football.

He also has a connection to the club, he said he wished he had came here much sooner in his career.

It was reported back in Oct 16 that when offered the Inter job, that he was waiting on Mourinho to be sacked at United!

I like the idea of a DOF, Scholes would be my pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

He also has a connection to the club, he said he wished he had came here much sooner in his career.

It was reported back in Oct 16 that when offered the Inter job, that he was waiting on Mourinho to be sacked at United!

Oh really? Lol have you got a link to the story? :lol:

el3mel

Blanc is a terrible and beyond average manager.

Silas

Poch signs a 5-year extension deal. Wasn't likely that he'd come to us from Spurs anyway.

red_john

We keep Jose for another season and maybe one more at the most. If we don't win the league or champions league within them seasons then I think he will be gone. I think if Zidane became available I would choose him.

simplyared

The George Graham of the Spanish League 1-0 to the Atletico
The guy's had more managerial success than George Graham could even dream about. People saying he plays unentertaining football is grossly exaggerated imo. Comparing the last 2 EL-finals, for example: We do no more than "get the job done" not exactly entertaining, against a poor Ajax team and grind out a win. Marseille (a much better team than Ajax) never even looked a threat against Atletico who are stronger in every department scoring 3 goals and playing brilliant counter attacking football which certainly entertained me!

ghagua

Don't know who, but someone who can improve the players they actually coach would be a start. Someone who plays progressive football, and not someone who is trying to live on past glories. Arsenal have made a good appointment with their manager. Might not win right away, but he will have that team challenging soon.

sam147

Whats all this 'progressive' football nonsense. Poch signed a new deal, he is 46 and has won nothing. Emery has won more than him. Dont give me this took spurs from 8th to UCL. Emery took Valencia to higher positions and Won Sevilla actual trophies. Poch has the best striker in the league as well as the best defence. Simeone is the man I would want to see after Jose. He is 48 and much better than 'young progressive' Poch. Teams can counter, they can keep the ball, they work hard and they hold leads. He is also a winner.

Nikelesh Reddy

The guy's had more managerial success than George Graham could even dream about. People saying he plays unentertaining football is grossly exaggerated imo. Comparing the last 2 EL-finals, for example: We do no more than "get the job done" not exactly entertaining, against a poor Ajax team and grind out a win. Marseille (a much better team than Ajax) never even looked a threat against Atletico who are stronger in every department scoring 3 goals and playing brilliant counter attacking football which certainly entertained me!
Mourinhos had more managerial success than both of them put together....So if it's about success,then it's utterly pointless to replace Mourinho with Simeone...

Nikelesh Reddy

If he doesn't win the Premiership next season after spending another 250 million and continues to play this kind of football, he deserves the boot
If he finishes 2nd and wins a trophy,he will definitely stay....Regardless of the style of play...

Nikelesh Reddy

Whats all this 'progressive' football nonsense. Poch signed a new deal, he is 46 and has won nothing. Emery has won more than him. Dont give me this took spurs from 8th to UCL. Emery took Valencia to higher positions and Won Sevilla actual trophies. Poch has the best striker in the league as well as the best defence. Simeone is the man I would want to see after Jose. He is 48 and much better than 'young progressive' Poch. Teams can counter, they can keep the ball, they work hard and they hold leads. He is also a winner.
Give Jose another 200 million and he will build a team in exactly the same mould.....He needs 2 top quality central midfielders,a new LB and a ball playing CB....If we get the right players than I would rather have Mourinho.Simeone hasn't achieved even 20 percent of what Mourinhos achieved in his career....

sam147

Give Jose another 200 million and he will build a team in exactly the same mould.....He needs 2 top quality central midfielders,a new LB and a ball playing CB....If we get the right players than I would rather have Mourinho.Simeone hasn't achieved even 20 percent of what Mourinhos achieved in his career....
Its about the next United manager. Jose will only stay so long. Everytime it doesnt go right he blames the players. They will only take it so much until they turn. Its that simple. And when that day comes I'd want to see Simeone as the new manager.

DSG

I don't get it, i mean all the negativity about Pochettino from you guys. The signings that were made to look ordinary by the likes of Tim Sherwood, and all the pensioners of Soccer Saturday were laughing that Tottenham has wasted the money they got from Bale and Modric. He took the seat and those players who were made to look ordinary by AVB and Sherwood, he transformed them into real fighters.

It is now third season in a row that they have finished 3rd or above with the net spend of 18 million, 28 million amd (-15) million in last 3 seasons.
We were not winning under Ferguson for many years, it was actually 4th season under him that United managed to win FA Cup. Give this guy some credit where it is due.
When you hire for a business, any business, you focus on hire criteria to guide you through the decision [disclosure: I am a Jose supporter and believe he should be given time, similar to SAF]. Criteria for the next manager should be, in order of priority:

1. Track record: trophies, both domestic and Euro
2. Philosophy: does he have one, and what is it? Is it a fresh approach? Is it attractive?
3. Buy / sell record
4. Youth development: does his staff adequately develop and promote youth?
5. Man Management: does he develop and guide the established 1st team to greater heights?
6. Cost: direct and indirect, salary as well as costs required to mold the team in his vision
7. Link to club

Using a similar criteria as above, you can see why we hired Jose. For Poch, he has a decent track record taking team a bit higher up in the table, but he has failed to win trophies. If you are a mid table club like Newcastle or West Ham, he’d be a great hire. But we need someone who has won a UCL or EPL or both. Just facts. You’d hire Jose and I would too, he’s got the best record of anyone, including Guardiola, over the last 15 years. It’s no contest.

The next generation of attacking football will be pressing football, Klopp / Tuchel / Poch style. A few reasons for this. One, it’s cheaper. Easier to find quick forwards than three 10’s (hello Man City). Two, playing out of the trap is difficult. Ball playing CBs are not easy and expensive to find. Three, attacking quickly will put wing players at a premium. And there is no shortage of these players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fer

He bought Matic and Pogba. It seems that we will continue spending millions and the game will be the same. I agree that we need to improve some positions, but IMO it's more important to get the best of our current players. Pogba should be our KDB/Eriksen/James. Sanchez should be our game changer, etc. Our team should play attacking football, create more opportunities and be more entertaining.

This summer we just need 1 CM, we also have Herrera and young players to rotate and play some minutes.
RW is still an issue, I think that's something we need to address with the LB you mentioned.