Gaa 2013

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I saw Jake suggested a new thread for the new year so why not? The 2013 season is only a week or so away, and all the counties will be in action in various pre-season provincial tournaments very soon.

In relation to the hurling, it's very hard to see past Kilkenny again. Galway came very close in 2012 and will feel as though they left it behind them in the drawn All-Ireland Final. Tipperary were going backwards in the years since Liam Sheedy left the hotseat but Eamon O'Shea is a very shrewd operator so I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out on top again this year. Meaningful contributions from the likes of Pa Bourke, Noel McGrath, Seamus Callinan and Patrick Maher, among others, will be vital to them as Tipperary can't be relying on the ageing trio of Eoin Kelly, Lar Corbett and John O'Brien. Of the rest, Cork will probably be the likeliest to compete. I'd also fancy Clare as being somewhat of a surprise package this year.

In the football, I think Donegal will find it difficult to defend the Sam Maguire this year. They were deserving winners last year but the football championship is notoriously competitive and demanding. Cork, Kerry and Dublin will all feel they underachieved last year and are formidable teams in their own right. Of the outsiders, I can see Galway re-asserting their dominance in Connacht and having a tilt at the All-Ireland Quarters.

What does the Caf think? Do you see any surprise packages in 2013?

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
I don't suppose there will be much to surprise us. The financial doping of Dublin hurling has not worked and they are also rans again. There's a row brewing in Kilkenny, as one of the Fennellys is supposed to be the 2013 captain but Cody wants Shefflin, in the year he chases #10.

If Galway continue to develop, the replayed All Ireland could sting enough to drive them on. They matched Kilkenny for power last year, but the bit of experience was lacking in the first game when they rapidly lost a 6?point lead.

Galway - hurling.

Donegal will be not easily beaten. Tyrone came within a whisker of the crossbar of beating them in Ulster, yet were written off in the AI championship. Tyrone bore a heavy load again last year with Michaela Harte's death hanging over them. They've had their fair share of bereavements, with McGirr in 1997 and McAnallen in 2004.

Kerry are gone for a while, I think. The manner of Dublin's defeat took years off them (added years? whichever is negative) and as with Meath after 2001, I expect they'll find it a longer road back than usual.

Dublin will be hard to beat, but Kildare and my own Lovely Laois will have a say in Leinster - though no further on.

Mayo? Jayzuz. Hard to know. They were well beaten, in a way this year, but depending on how they take it, they could be a real force again this year. They were always a year behind Donegal this year so another year on could see Sam heading their way.

Leinster - Dublin
Munster - Cork
Connacht - Mayo
Ulster - Tyrone or Donegal

Sam - Tyrone or Donegal.

(that's for now. We'll see how the league develops.)

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Galway with the introduction of a few new faces to the team/panel and the experience of having Kilkenny on the ropes this year winning 1 and drawing 1 of their 3 bouts are going to be a stronger outfit next year I reckon and will have enough to finally see the back of Kilkenny, make Cody and Shefflin call it a day and with the likes of Coen, Moore, Tannion, Burke, Canning and co be the team to beat for the next 5/6 years or so or at least that's how I hope things fair out anyways!

The Munster hurling championship next year is going to be really interesting though, Clare with a few U21's Championships under their belt now and winning them by playing some lovely hurling too along with Davy Fitz running the show are going to be a force. Limerick another young team are on the up, then you have Cork also young and on the up, Tipp and Waterford. Anyone of those counties are well capable of beating one another on their day so it's very hard to know who'll be crowned Munster champions in 2013.

Hurling:

Munster - Clare

Leinster - Galway

All-Ireland - Galway

Football:

Ulster - Donegal

Connacht - Galway

Munster - Kerry

Leinster - Dublin

All-Ireland - Donegal

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Hard to bet against Donegal in the football, but it's not easy winning back to back, especially now that everyone expects them to get it. Because of that, I think it'll be Kerry's year once again, but I think Dublin may do well under a new manager.

Ulster-Donegal

Munster-Kerry

Connacht-Mayo

Leinster-Dublin

All-Ireland-Kerry

Stuff the Goat

a Farney man in Galway, next stop America.
Woow doesn't time fly!....... another GAA season upon us, with the traditional tournaments, such as McKenna, Fbd cups etc.

Football; its very hard to see past Donegal, unless they d'ont have the appetite or someone comes up with a new system to stop them.

All-Ire. ... Donegal.

Connacht....Mayo
Leinster......Dublin
Munster......Cork
Ulster.........Donegal

Possible surprisers... Armagh, Clare.

Hurling; Unlike my football predictions last year, my hurling ones were spot one (especially tipping Galway to win Leinster, but Kilkenny to win Liam). This year I will swop those, as I believe the Cats will want to lay down a marker in Leinster to Galway. However, Galway will improve as the year goes on.

All-Ire. .... Galway

Leinster...... Kilkenny
Munster...... Cork.

possible surprisers... Clare.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Lads this is Laois's year ;) Surprised how far we got last year tbh, it'd be great to have some more games out in croker this year.
I'd say if I had to name all 32 counties in a row, Laois would be the one I'd remember last.

JakeC

Actually the three I couldn't get in 5 minutes were Derry, Carlow and Longford.

JakeC

Back to training on Sunday! Come on the lads.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Back to training on Sunday! Come on the lads.
I know its old but so am I.

THE FIRST NIGHT BACK TRAINING

After a players meeting held the Saturday night before, where all the talk is about the lads given up the drink for the whole year & lads never missing a training session, your approach this year renewed hope that it would be different than the shambles that was last year.

You arrive in the door from work & forget that you’ve training in 2 hours time & eat the dinner, followed by tea & whatever biscuits are still left in the tin of USA biscuits from the Christmas.

No sooner do you stand up from the table than you remember you’ve to head down to training, your brain hits overdrive as you try to think of an injury that you possibly could have...that you only sustained in the last 48hrs, because as you explained to the players in the local pub on Saturday night, you’ve never felt in better shape. Jesus that was some session though Saturday night.

You decide that you better head down to training (sure it might not be too bad after all its the 1st night back & the manager won’t want to torture ye...after all the players had no respect for him last year, maybe he’ll go easy on you tonight while the other lads are running laps). You grab the jacket & the gear bag & head for the door.

You pull in to the pitch & see lads sitting in cars looking out at some lad who's setting out cones all round the field, you decide to head in to the dressing room, show the lads how serious you are!!!

You wander in & find the manager & 3 selectors standing there chatting...but if they're in here, then whose out there putting down the cones. They explain that they’ve got an army lad in for the next 2 months to get ye in good shape...you feel the spuds churning in your stomach...something tells you, you’ll see them again before the nights out.

You break out the brand new gear & a few lads admire the new Puma boots you bought, €180 you inform them...there also the same one’s Ciaran Whelan & Munnelly wear. You check the cogs, which look like something NASA came up with, but you reckon it’ll give you that extra yard in training.

You chat to the same lads that you only spoke to last year, the same lads who arrived late last year, are arriving late as you head out the dressing room door & into the bitterly cold January night air, it most definately wasn’t this cold earlier on.

You run on to the pitch & survey the cones laid out, its hard to know exactly what sort of football drills this lad is likely to be using here...you then notice that there’s actually not an O’Neills football in sight. Your run slows down to a jog, then to a walk...no point over doing it yet!!!

Training starts at 8, although its 8.15 & lads are still coming out on to the field...little do they realise that everytime a lad comes after 8 your trainer adds on an extra lap to be run at the end of training by everyone.

You start off training by running aimlessly over & back across the field...every now & again the trainer shouts for ye to sprint...but your already at full tilt to stay with them as it is. After 10-15 mins of agony ye stop for stretching, this apparently was only the warm up...

After you’ve finished stretching ye proceed to run around the field for what seems an eternity, but what the trainer informs you has only been 12 mins!!! At this stage your lungs are killing you and your dinner is slowly working its way back up your stomach!!!

Your also well sick of the county minor player lapping you on these runs...who does he think he is? It comforts you a huge amount when you discover that he’s recently been dropped off the panel, yet still trained tonight in the gear that you know his mother went out & bought him!!!

Another 45 mins of running laps, sprints, shuttle runs, sit ups, push ups, & more laps, the trainer says 1 final lap to finish up. This is your moment to shine. You decide to hit the front early & set the pace...you go full pelt...you feel fitter, faster & stronger than ever before. You might have died for the last hour & a half or so but now your going to show them.

40 yards in to the run...you hit your 10th brick wall of the night & lads coast out by you, you try to stay going, but every step feels like a knife in the chest. Finally you give up & walk the last half a lap, where the other lads are just finished stretching!!! You try & stretch but your 2 legs feel like 2 concrete pillars so you decide there’s no point & head in to the dressing room...a hot shower is just what you need!!!

You greeted at the door by the Chairman who informs ye all that no one turned on the boiler for the showers so there’s no hot water in it!!! You throw on the clothes and bash the boots off the dressing room floor before you get in the car to drive home.

As you drive home, you thank God you're the only goalie in the club, they won’t see you at training again till mid March!!!

JakeC

Brilliant!!

Yeah first one back in 7 months, since dad!

Who do you all play for?

JakeC

Circuit training tonight was a killer. We all got the text that you dread to read

''8.20 tonight, no need for boots''

Buchan

Circuit training tonight was a killer. We all got the text that you dread to read

''8.20 tonight, no need for boots''
Ha! Disaster, man.

We're out on the dunes now next weekend for a couple of hours. I'm fecking bricking it all week thinking about it. I might cry off and tell the boss man, "Sure, what are ye training on sand for? You don't fecking play on sand!"

I fecking hate January.

BD

Ciaran Kilkenny is staying to play for Dublin this year! Delighted with that. He could be the difference between a win and a loss for us.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Obligatory, "Up the Dubs!!" post in here.

Thank you.

JakeC

First game of the season tomorrow, against the Junior As

JakeC

We lost by 8 points, fitness just wasn't up for it, I was injured so watched from the sidelines.

Have achallenge game on Saturday against St Brendans down in Grangegorman.

Hopfully get a few minutes of playing time under my belt.

JakeC

No mention of an injury in that 'Im drunk' thread 10/11 hours before that match!
Done me Quad/Ham.

Played the second half yesterday, and I made more happen then anyone else who played in the full forward line, lost out on a few physical battles, was making good runs but wasn't being picked out. Gave away a silly free though. Didn't score, I was open outside the square when we were down by two, but the lad panicked and skied it across the field.

Smashed some lad up too, the first time I got the ball he fouled me, and the second time he dragged my arm back, but I got done for throwing the ball. As I went to hand pass it he grabbed my right hand, should of been a free in.

So when he had the ball and cleared it, I came in a 'little' late and sent him to the ground. He wasn't happy as he was a big lad in his 30s, and I'm a scrawny 19 year old.

Lost by 3 points, they weren't great, but we were worse.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Watching Waterford this year with out the mad John Mullane tearing around the pitch up to all sorts of antics along with scoring some brilliant scores will be a bit strange. He's one of the best hurlers I've ever seen in my lifetime. Not to sure well maybe since Brendan Lynskey there was another around that could get the crowd riled up or going like he could. Best of luck to him in retirement as a player anyways, he'll be the Waterford manager within the next 3/4 years I'd say.

Kilkennys Noel Hickey has retired too, a proper Hurling Legend if there ever was one winning 9 All Irelands, 6 National Leagues Titles, 4 Walsh Cups, 11 Leinster SHC's, 2 Railway Cups, and 3 All Stars the list goes on and on.... He'll be missed and the best of luck to him in retirement too.

Buchan

Hickey is a nothing short of a hocker at full-back. He would have been more at home playing in the Sixties than the current era. Tough as nails and a hardy customer, but a very dirty hurler too.

The swipe he pulled on the Limerick forward in the 2007 All-Ireland Final still stands out. Hickey pulled up with a hamstring injury when chasing his man, but rather than come to a stop himself, he lashed out with the hurley across his opponent's hand (who had possession of the ball).

Still, he spent years hurling with Tommy Walsh. He was bound to pick up some filth along the way.

JakeC

You playing in Manchester Nahealai?

JakeC

Fair play! Many teams down your end?

Yeah, our match wasn't called off on Sunday, and our Tuesday training is done indoors (circuits, focusing on fitness in the same way Donegal did last season.) On Thursdays we train on an all weather pitch, which is decent but the surface is just too hard, and if the ball bounces it can go anywhere.

Playing Erin Go Bragh on Saturday, hopefully get to start this one.

JakeC

Great news, id love to go

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
From the Sunday Times, all copyright reserved.

MJ Tierney is back home in Ballyroan. Fools and their money, eh?

There is disquiet in Parnells over high spending levels at the club, says Dermot Crowe

FIVE years ago Parnells GAA club acquired €22m in a dream land sale near Dublin Airport and promised to replace it with a modern facility in the heart of its natural catchment area of Coolock. But while an impressive sports and leisure complex opened there last May, it didn't include a proposed €1m sports hall – the money simply ran out. Borrowings or grants may now be needed to see that the club honours its contractual obligations.

The club has also been suffering major losses because of running costs, even before the new complex opened its doors – €3m in accumulated losses over the last four years. The club's level of spending has some members worried about its current and future financial stability.

Half of the 2008 windfall gleaned from the sale of former playing pitches at Collinstown went on the purchase of land at Chanel College, a secondary school in Coolock. The remainder of the €22m was meant to finance state-of-the-art facilities being developed on the new site, including the sports hall and a ball wall that has also not been completed.

The complex, housing a gym, bar and restaurant and function rooms, and three full-size pitches, two of them all-weather, is still impressive. But while planning was secured for the sports hall, and the foundation laid, work has stalled with the club admitting there is no longer sufficient cash available to build it. This could leave the club open to being sued for breach of contract, a concern raised at recent agms.

Annual accounts also show that the cost of running the club is colossal. All of this spending predates the new complex opening last year as the last available accounts are for 2011. An annual expenditure bill of roughly €1.2m equates to a staggering €3,250 a day. Some concerned club members, including a former chairman, have attempted to raise these issues but they are in the minority and the policy of heavy spending has continued.

As a sample, included among the expenses for 2010 were €79,807 on juvenile teams and €87,000 on medical items. Travel and subsistence cost €90,000, with motor expenses an additional €40,000. Coaching cost €79,000 and 'fees/training teams' reached €51,650. The bill for football and hurling equipment came to €152,848. Printing and postage cost €38,641.

Compared to other clubs in Dublin, the costs are literally in a league of their own. One of the biggest clubs in Dublin, for example, comfortably in the top three, reported annual expenditure of €700,000, between playing and administrative costs. Yearly losses in Parnells from 2008 to 2011 averaged around €780,000. Another club on the northside, with almost 60 teams, has annual costs of around €250,000, with many teams largely self-sufficient. Another with similar team numbers reported running costs of around €130,000. One in the west side of the city fielding in the region of 60 teams cost around €360,000 to run last year.

Parnells' new complex, in the club's natural heartland in Coolock, is being promoted in brochures as The Chanel, a leisure and hospitality venue. Since opening, the bar and all-weather facilities are raising much-needed finance to offset costs but some feel the current level of spending is unsustainable.

A report by an auditor at the end of 2010 did not see sufficient funds in place to build the sports hall or a medical centre which was also part of the longer-term development plan. The €1m needed for the sports hall was, the auditor declared, not there. Bearing in mind the €22m windfall and interest that would have accrued, this is a bone of contention with some members although there has been no mutiny at executive level. The auditor also found that explanations and assurances given by club directors were not sufficient for him not to qualify his report.

Turnover for 2010 was €680,000, with gross profit of €378,000 but with an administrative bill of almost €1.2m, the loss for the club over the year was €820,000. A sum of €68,000 was paid to directors, with staff wages accounting for €251,000.

"The accounts for 2011 were more or less the same as 2010," said a concerned member. "The auditor stated in his report to the members in 2010 that in his opinion he didn't believe the club had the resources to fund the building of the hall, which they are contractually obliged to build. He based this opinion on the information he received from the (club) directors. In other words, the information received from the directors did not satisfy him that they would have the money to build the hall, nor the medical centre at a later date."

He said the club's identity was being lost in a massive commercial venture needed to support the spiralling costs. Instead of securing the financial future of the club, he added, its present and future financial stability is at risk owing to the high running costs and contract obligation for the sports hall.

He also has reservations about a playing pitch in the complex that has, according to the complex's official brochure, been "created to FIFA world standards". The facility is regularly used by local soccer clubs in competition with the GAA for players, although it is another form of revenue for the club.

Those disillusioned by the club's financial decisions wonder how Parnells can continue in business when it is losing as much as €820,000 a year. They also ask: how are these over-spends being financed?

In a report for the year ending 2011, club directors appeared resigned to facing debt in order to build the sports hall unless they receive grant assistance. They regret the absence of further GAA grants or lotto assistance to help build the hall. "The club has gone through tremendous change in the past four years following the sale of the lands at Collinstown which of itself brings risk and uncertainties," the report states. "Shortfall in subsidies, ie lotto and GAA grants, have resulted in postponement of construction of sports hall until funding is available either through income generated from club activities or grants or borrowing to ensure completion is in line with contractual and planning obligations.

"While the directors are confident that funding will be secured as outlined above for this purpose or through a combination of deposit interest, VAT reclaim, grants and loans, the risk side of the transaction means that the club which had amassed a sum of €22m from the sale of its lands could reverse this financial situation resulting in the club taking on debt and having no reserves remaining from these funds.

"However, the directors expect that the significant increase in membership achieved in recent years together with the substantial outreach work undertaken in the local schools and community will generate significantly increased revenue in the new development to adequately fund borrowing if required and growth of club activities into the future."

It was also noted that the club was under a Revenue audit for wages and VAT for 2010 and 2011 and this raised "uncertainties over the partial recovery of the VAT element of the building of new development costs".

There are also concerns about the hard commercial emphasis to the new development, noting how its primary name is The Chanel Leisure and Hospitality Venue, with the 'Home of Parnells' given less visual emphasis on the official brochure.

Parnells has earned a reputation for high ambition on the field as well with an All-Ireland club title cited as a goal. But despite a stream of incoming inter-county stars from the country their performances on the field have been underwhelming and their underage investment has been slow to reap rewards.

Among the inter-county players now wearing the green and black who have come from other counties are Conor Mortimer, Colm Begley, Aindreas Doyle, Rory Quinlivan, Johnny Murtagh, MJ Tierney, Andrew Shore and Darren Rooney. Some are employed as coaches. Mortimer is employed as gym manager.

Two thirds of the team that fielded in the last championship outing of 2012 against Ballymun Kickhams were not from the area and the majority of those were from outside Dublin.

Frustrated that his concerns were not being addressed, former club chairman John Byrne wrote to ex-GAA president Christy Cooney in April 2011 for "guidance and support on a very serious issue".

He added that the club had been "overly ambitious in their building of the new clubhouse to the extent that the very future of the club is now at stake".

To illustrate the shift in spending patterns, in 2007 the club cost €340,000 to run, leaving it with losses of around €85,000. In 2008, expenses had climbed to €945,000. Some of those figures would look startling on a county board's annual set of accounts, let alone a club's.

Parnells last won a senior football championship in 1988 and success always comes at a price. The question is: have Parnells set the price too high?

'Expenses have risen but at affordable levels'

On Friday afternoon, the Parnells club made the following statement detailing the club's sporting and community activities, which we are happy to publish in full:

"As a fully registered GAA club with over 3,500 members, Parnell's operates under a range of regulations and guidelines which ensures transparency and probity in all its activities. All club officials and committees are democratically elected by the members and we believe the appropriate forum for dealing with specific issues is for members to contact the relevant official or at the Agm.

"Notwithstanding that, the club would make some general points; over the last four years Parnell's has gone from being a club with extremely limited facilities, to being one of the very best equipped in the country.

"This was achieved through the extremely prudent management of the club's resources and the investment of €21m in a state-of-the-art sports complex and clubhouse in Coolock village.

"The club achieved this new development without any Government or local Authority funding.

Range of club activities:

* A detailed 5 year Strategic Plan was put in place in 2007 to focus on 3 main areas; Juvenile development, Adult's sports development and Club Facilities.

* In 2007 the club fielded 4 adult teams --in 2012 it fielded 11 teams. The number of adult playing members has gone from 100 to over 275

* In 2007 the club fielded 12 juvenile teams and now fields 32 teams. The number of juvenile members has gone from 240 to over 650.

* The club now fields ladies football and camogie teams which it didn't previously.

* As part of that plan and the growth in members the Club has had to greatly expand its coaching staff. Expenses have naturally risen in line with this expansion but at affordable and sustainable levels.

* The Club plans to build a Sports Hall and Hurling Wall in the near future and has applied for a Capital sports grant from the Government.

* Community and promoting our games is the heart of the GAA and Parnells has a proud tradition in both.

* The enhanced catering-function facilities at the Club has enabled it to provide a much improved service to the community. The model we have developed ensures that all profits generated from this activity is ploughed back into supporting coaching and the club's teams

"Parnells provides a focal point for the Artane, Coolock and Kilmore communities but also a warm welcome to new members from outside the community who have moved to the area for work, through marriage or immigration. Whether it is playing, coaching or mentoring all are most welcome to play their part in Parnell's ongoing development and growth. Such members have been welcomed and integrated fully within the Club. They have served the Club, our community and the GAA with distinction. Seán Kelly, a Kerryman who was the GAA President, played with Parnells during his time in Dublin.

"When Parnells won its County and Provincial Titles in the 1980s the Senior Team was managed by Gerry Brady, a Monaghan man, and the team included natives of Monaghan, Galway and Limerick."

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
They got some cash and lost the run of themselves. Nothing new and honestly its really hard to stop it happening when everyone knows there's money in the kitty. Now though there are severely bad habits built up that will take a lot of getting over.

In other words, they're fecked.

Buchan

The GAA lost it's true 'amateur' status a long time ago. Even the local GAA clubs are paying players now. It is only a matter of time before a club goes under due to their flagrant spending.

BD

League starting this weekend. Two good games on the box today-Donegal v Kildare and Dublin v Cork. Anyone heading to their countys match? Think i might head to Croker later, but will have to sacrifice the United match.