Gaa 2013

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
popped my shoulder, fuk sake.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
That offer from the GAA of 5 visits (8 games I think) for €50 all in is fantastic value.
It is and the season ticket is great value as well, I can't wait for the league to start up. Galway are playing Kilkenny in Pearse stadium on the 24th of this month, should be an interesting game that.

Dublin beat Galway today in the Walsh cup semi-final at Parnell Park by 2-21 to 1-21. St. Thomas's the Galway county champions played Galway 2 weeks ago as well in Ballinderreen and beat them by a point too, I was at that match and the St. Thomas's lads were looking very good, playing lovely fast and skillful hurling, they'll go far in the AI club championship. Galway not long back from Dubai are not surprisingly doing a shitload of experimenting atm.

Clare who I've backed to win Munster this year beat Cork at Sixmilebridge too last night in the Waterford crystal cup semi-final by 3 pts, final score 20 pts to 2-11

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Some results from the weekend...

League / Football Division 1:

Kildare 2-14 Donegal 1-13
Down 1-8 Tyrone 1-11
Dublin 1-18 Cork 1-9
Mayo 1-16 Kerry 1-6

In Division 2

Galway 1-15 Derry 0-15
Laois 0-20 Armagh 1-10
Westmeath 0-16 Louth 2-09
Wexford 2-8 Longford 1-10

In Hurling:

Walsh Cup semi final
Wexford 2-18 Kilkenny 0-16

Dublin v Wexford in the final of that,

Waterford Crystal Cup semi final
Tipperary 1-20 Limerick IT 2-12

Clare v Tipperary final

JakeC

I spoke to Alan Brogan the other day, and he said that the panel's so big this year, that nobodies guaranteed their spot, he's not even sure what the story is with him, he's injured at the moment though.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
The club hurling championship is wide open....even with just the AI semis to play. St Thomas' have a great chance.
You probably know already given your nephew is involved with the St Thomas's U21's but they're playing Antrim's Loughgeil Shamrocks in the semi-final on Saturday at Parnell Park.

It'll be some achievement for them if they get to the final and maybe even win the All-Ireland club championship especially considering they only won their first ever Galway senior title a few months ago. It's a real family affair as well, the manager John Burke has six sons on the panel, there's 2 other sets of brothers playing too. I know a lot of the players and people involved in Thomas's fairly well so I hope they go the whole way.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
AIB GAA Hurling All-Ireland senior club championship 12/13 semi-finals:

St. Thomas's (Galway) 1-25 : 3-19 Loughgiel Shamrocks (Antrim) Draw match after extra time.

Thurlas Sarfields (Tipperary) 1-14 : Kilcormac Killoughey (Offaly)

JakeC

Down just didn't take their scores today against Donegal.

JakeC

The name-dropping thread is in the Mains Football Forum, Jake... ;)
;) haha he doesn't have a clue who I am, but he's in the club and chats to anyone.

Match tomorrow, cup game against Periguinnes.

JakeC

Junior B games are impossible to get called off.

JakeC

Game was called off today

JakeC

AFL Division One Results 10/02/13
Kerry 0-04 - 1-11 Dublin
Mayo 1-11 - 1-12 Tyrone

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Two other games in Division one as well,

Cork 1-9 : 2-10 Kildare

Donegal 0-12 : 0-7 Down

Might back Kildare for Leinster this year. There was a few lads on about them on 'Off The Ball' last week and by the way they were going on it sounded like Kildare mean business this year.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Might back Kildare for Leinster this year. There was a few lads on about them on 'Off The Ball' last week and by the way they were going on it sounded like Kildare mean business this year.
Kildare are supposed to mean business every year, but the fact remains, they haven't got the quality up front to do damage at the business end of the year. Their players are extremely fit and full of running, but I don't think they have as many natural footballers or match-winners as the likes of Dublin, Cork, Kerry or Donegal.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Bit of a rumpus going on about this today. Some are saying it was a very disrespectful thing to do etc others say it was his to do as he likes and if he was in serious financial trouble which I'd say was the situation that drove him to sell it, he unfortunately didn't have any other option but to let it off. The Galway county board are apparently going to investigate it now, it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.

From hoganstand:
One of Galway's Leinster SHC winning medals has been sold on eBay for €570.

According to the listing, the medal was one of those issued only to playing members of the Galway panel that made history last year by beating Kilkenny in the Leinster decider.

While it's unusual for such a new medal to be sold to the highest bidder, the sale perhaps places into context the times that are in it with GAA players facing unprecedented financial hardship.

Two questions spring to mind: which player has opted to part with his medal and how much are the Kilkenny hurlers worth?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
some win for Dublin 21s lasr night.

Beat carlowby a small margin on 4-27 to 0-2.

Jaysus

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
That was a fair hammering alright McG!

The Hurling League is starting up this weekend. Thanks be to the mother of Jaysus! Nice game to start the year off for us Tribesmen too!

Galway v Kilkenny - Sunday at Pearse Stadium, 2 pm

Cork v Tipperary - Saturday at Páirc Uí Rinn, 7pm

Clare v Waterford - Sunday in Ennis, 2pm

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Cork hammered Tipperary 0-26 to 1-11 last night in the first round of the Hurling league. Not many people were expecting that, good to see though. The Cork crowd must have been a bit worried for the immediate future of Cork Hurling given they have lost a few good young players to the Football and Sweetman to Munster Rugby. Last nights result will give them some hope.

Dublin beat Offaly by a point as well 1-20 to 2-16. Anthony Daly will be happy out with that I'm sure.

I'm heading into the Galway v Kilkenny match now shortly myself, should be a good match. Only the league but both sides will still want to lay down a marker , Galway particularly hence why Cunningham is probably lining out (minus the Thomas' lads and the 2 suspended) the strongest possible team. Doubt there'll be much in it but I'm going to go for a Galway win given they'll be full of confidence after the hammering they gave Leinster last weekend.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Tyrone Donegal live today on TG4 in Omagh. Should give a decent indication of where both teams are as neither will want to lose this clash. 2pm.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Very poor showing from Tipperary last weekend. Cork looked good and no doubt will gain a lot of confidence from that win. Tipperary have Kilkenny in Thurles next weekend and both teams need a win. The Tipperary-Kilkenny league games have been pretty good in recent years and there should be a bit of cut to proceedings next week. I'm looking forward to it already.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Good win for Dublin last night. Bernard Brogan was amazing and Ger Brennan is a tool. Looking good for the year ahead, I must say.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Very poor showing from Tipperary last weekend. Cork looked good and no doubt will gain a lot of confidence from that win. Tipperary have Kilkenny in Thurles next weekend and both teams need a win. The Tipperary-Kilkenny league games have been pretty good in recent years and there should be a bit of cut to proceedings next week. I'm looking forward to it already.
Tipp are after getting themselves into a spot of bother now, facing a Kilkenny side that could badly do with a win themselves too isn't the best of scenarios to be in. The Galway v Kilkenny match last weekend lived up to its billing after that, Joe Canning with 3 cracking passes for the 3 goals was the main difference between the two, some hurler to watch when on form, there's no stopping him. Galway need to work big time on their discipline though. Like last year they gave Kilkenny far to many handy frees within range. Saying that it was great to beat them last Sunday.

Clare surprisingly falling short against Waterford and now badly needing a win too has made next weekends clash with Galway another interesting encounter.

The Hurling League like the Football League is going to be very entertaining this year. All the top teams in both codes are all lumped into Division 1 and all are well capable of beating each other on any given day.

Sunday 10 March NHL Division 1A:

Tipperary v Kilkenny, Thurles, 2pm

Waterford v Cork, Dungarvan, 2pm

Clare v Galway, Ennis, 2pm

Irwinwastheking

Good game in Omagh today and a great win for Tyrone in a full blooded encounter. Donegal almost reverted to the cynical tactics of 2 years ago but that backfired when Murphy got sent off. Sean Cavanagh showed the class that we missed last year, but too many weaknesses yet for Tyrone to have a good crack at Sam.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Not ideal for Kilkenny alright. But if you take a look at the sides Cody has lined out against a pretty strong Galway side (9/10 of the lads that started in last years AI final) two weeks ago and again today against a a Tipp side that nearly had all of their big guns back it's pretty scary to think what he has in his locker when it comes to fringe players.

I wasn't all that surprised by what I saw at the Clare, Galway match today. Clare are a team I've tipped for big things in the near future and they hit the ground running and built up a nice lead for themselves going in at half time but Galway despite coming back strong in the 2nd half had left themselves with to much to do. It was a good game between two sides that play really entertaining hurling, fast, fluid and direct. Canning scored his usual tally of 1-9 again today.

Sunday March 10th, 2013 - Hurling Division 1:

Waterford 0-15 : 1-12 Cork

Clare 0-18 : 1-12 Galway

Tipperary 2-17 : 1-19 Kilkenny

BD

Big win for Dublin today again. As I said the last day, I'm quietly confident for the year coming. Kerry look in disarray, but are always there or there abouts. Cork won't win it, Donegal won't be able to do it two years running...as I said, looking good for us Dubs.

Irwinwastheking

scummy fecking dublin fans. win a couple of league games and can't handle a loss in fecking march. what a bunch of pricks.

Great win for Tyrone and TBH should have won by much much more.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Well done St. Thomas's!

What a fecking year, 1st time to win a County Championship, then go on to beat the current All-Ireland Champions in the semi's and then win an All-Ireland. Managed by a man with 6 sons on the team and two more sets of brothers. Going to be some session in Kilchreest/Castledaly/Gort tonight. Take her handy lads!

Irwinwastheking

Well done St. Thomas's!

What a fecking year, 1st time to win a County Championship, then go on to beat the current All-Ireland Champions in the semi's and then win an All-Ireland. Managed by a man with 6 sons on the team and two more sets of brothers. Going to be some session in Kilchreest/Castledaly/Gort tonight. Take her handy lads!

fecking hell. That's some story.

BD

scummy fecking dublin fans. win a couple of league games and can't handle a loss in fecking march. what a bunch of pricks.

Great win for Tyrone and TBH should have won by much much more.
What happened? I couldnt make the match on Saturday.

Tbf, Tyrone fans are hardly angelic;)

Irwinwastheking

Ah, the same old shite, booing players injured and booing after the game.

It wasn't any big deal, but really got my goat up how nasty a crowd could be for a league game in March. I've long been one of the people who defend the dubs and I had always said my best experiences at Croker where Vs the dubs. This spoilt brat attitude is wearing thin though.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Great win for Thomas' alright. Another small club winning is terrific. Terrible speech though.

In the football, Frankie proved himself to be the man for Brigids yet again. Felt Ballymun kicked it away in the second half but Frankie's score befitted the occasion. First Roscommon club to win it too. It was a win that was years in the making and delighted to see them finally put Roscommon's name on the cup.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Ah, the same old shite, booing players injured and booing after the game.

It wasn't any big deal, but really got my goat up how nasty a crowd could be for a league game in March. I've long been one of the people who defend the dubs and I had always said my best experiences at Croker where Vs the dubs. This spoilt brat attitude is wearing thin though.
Yep. That's the Dubs for you. Unless they're winning by 30 points, its a big deal to award a free against them.

More importantly, Laois could be mired in Division 2 for another year, unless they beat Wexford & Longford, while Westmeath lose to Armagh and Derry.