Gaa 2013

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Good. Ye Tyrone heads need taking down a peg or two.

BD

Eh...:nervous:

I think I'm lost in this conversation, so I'll just say:

Soon, ye bunch of boggers.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
:lol: I guess you have to be a little more interested in the Tyrone Kerry relationship to get the nouveau riche reference.

BD

:lol: feck sake. that went way over my head! I'm back with you now.

Irwinwastheking

It's damn hard if you've been out for a few years. I went back to football a few years ago and the training nearly killed me. Ended up playing soccer instead cos the training was easier.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Going to give Junior C Hurling a shot this year myself. The 1st training session is next Friday, having looked at a few Junior C matches last year I'll consider it a bonus if I come home in one piece. Every breed and type of a cnut seems to play Junior C!

Irwinwastheking

We were thinking of togging for Junior Football this year in Sligo but like that TBP it's all just old fat bastards that play for an excuse to throw a few slaps without getting arrested.

How are you getting on now dude?

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
It's damn hard if you've been out for a few years. I went back to football a few years ago and the training nearly killed me. Ended up playing soccer instead cos the training was easier.
I train all the time in other sports so I wouldn't be worried at all about the fitness aspect. I didn't actually mean getting back to playing it though, don't have the time or energy, I just meant back to actually following it as a sport. 'Mon Tyrone...or Down:nervous:
Going to give Junior C Hurling a shot this year myself. The 1st training session is next Friday, having looked at a few Junior C matches last year I'll consider it a bonus if I come home in one piece. Every breed and type of a cnut seems to play Junior C it seems!
:lol: Good luck!

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
We were thinking of togging for Junior Football this year in Sligo but like that TBP it's all just old fat bastards that play for an excuse to throw a few slaps without getting arrested.

How are you getting on now dude?
Grand now, miss me aul' buddy but there's no point in letting it get me down I suppose. It was a brain haemorrhage that got the better of him. He got a fair old send off last Sunday week, hurls, helmets, flags, drink and all gone with him!

Irwinwastheking

Good man. Was thinking about you last weekend. Hate to hear that kind of thing, reminds us all of our mortality.

BD

Cool poc Irwin!

Good to hear youre getting on okay TBP. Junior C is a laugh. If you have any sort of pace/fitness you'll walk all over the auld feckers. Though I once wasn't fast enough and got a right belt on the shins. feck me that was sore!

Irwinwastheking

I literally can't hurl. My free state mates love getting me out for a puck cos I would be more comfortable with a cricket bat.

BD

Haha. I always preferred the football to be honest.

I'm starting to get giddy about this Summer. I really think we can do it. If the Brogans are back to their best, or even 90%, I'll be quite confident. Sam '13 here we come!

BD

Whats the general feeling up there? Expecting anything big?

Irwinwastheking

Can't see it man. We'll probably beat Donegal in the ulster championship, play fantastic for a few games, then get down to Croker against you lads, kerry or cork and take a while beating.

The two defeats against you lads two years ago and in tralee last year have dented confidence big time.

BD

I missed that match two years back. Was away, and I was raging. Wouldve been nice to see after what ye did to us in 2008. I don't think Donegal will be able to do it again. Kildare, Mayo and ye will probably all be there or there abouts but not be strong enough to go all the way. Kerry are always in with a shout, but I never really warmed to Cork for some reason. Our season as always, depends on the Brogans. If Bernard is firing like he has been in the league, an if Alan gets back to his best, then I can definitely see it being a good year. If that doesnt happen though, I can see the door being opened for someone like ye, though it'll most likely be Kerry if we do crumble.

Irwinwastheking

Can't argue with any part of that. I always laugh at how people criticise Dublin on their dependence on the Brogans, but any county would be reliant on those two.

BD

Sure take the Gooch and Donaghy, or McConville and McDonnell, or O'Neill and Mulligan(or Dooher? Or Canavan? Next best in 2005?), etc. out of their teams and they'd have struggled too.

Irwinwastheking

Exactly. Bernard is just an exceptional football and if he manages to win a few more will be up there and around the greatest ever lists.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Brogan is good lads, but he benefits greatly from playing in a team that's one of the strongest in the country. To my mind, he's no more naturally-gifted a footballer than Matty Forde or Declan Browne were, two footballers whom will go down as their respective counties greatest ever, but not in terms of the GAA as a whole.

Irwinwastheking

Brogan is good lads, but he benefits greatly from playing in a team that's one of the strongest in the country. To my mind, he's no more naturally-gifted a footballer than Matty Forde or Declan Browne were, two footballers whom will go down as their respective counties greatest ever, but not in terms of the GAA as a whole.
With Bernard I disagree. Apart from Canavan and The Gooch I can't think of another more natural point scorer from play than Bernard in my lifetime. The guy is a phenomenon. I'm a Tyrone man here rating a Dub more highly than Stevie O'Neill which tells you something.

Sure Mattie and Declan where amazing footballers and anyone who can win an All-Star from a lesser county is usually special but Bernard has had to opportunity to and has delivered on the biggest stages in front of some of the most demanding supporters. I think he will need to deliver another few All-Irelands to join the pantheon of greats but he has it in him.

The Brogans are Kerry men, they were nicked!!
You could afford to lose a few.

Buchan

Brogan struggled for form last year and his form arguably cost Dublin dear. In fact, against Kildare, he was handled very well but got a soft free in injury-time to win the game. The best teams are only separated on fine margins now. I was disappointed with his performances as they were a huge step down from the previous two/three years from him. I suppose he has the potential to drive on again now, but he has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Cooper, Mikey Sheehy, Maurice Fitzgerald (No, I'm not a Kerry man! :D), Matt Connor from Offaly, Jimmy Keaveney from Dublin etc. All classic inside-forward men.

BD

Brogan struggled for form last year and his form arguably cost Dublin dear. In fact, against Kildare, he was handled very well but got a soft free in injury-time to win the game. The best teams are only separated on fine margins now. I was disappointed with his performances as they were a huge step down from the previous two/three years from him. I suppose he has the potential to drive on again now, but he has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Cooper, Mikey Sheehy, Maurice Fitzgerald (No, I'm not a Kerry man! :D), Matt Connor from Offaly, Jimmy Keaveney from Dublin etc. All classic inside-forward men.
I think you are criminally underrating Brogan. Admittedly he didn't have the best year last year, but he is still an amazing player, and his form in the league this year has shown that. He's getting back to his best. Unfortunately he got an injury, but if he gets back to how he was before the injury, and I have no doubt that he will, then Dublin have every chance of winning the All-Ireland, and I'd put us favourites if he is. He is a level above Matty Forde, and is up there with Cooper imo. Yeah, he hasn't won as much yet, but that can all change. I can't remember ever seeing Cooper doing something and thinking that no one else could do that. Yeah, he's a great player, no doubt, but Brogan is on a par with him skill wise.

BD

Indeed. 7 against Kerry, 6 against Cork, 1-10 against Mayo and 1-5 against Kildare.

Buchan

I don't put too much emphasis on the league personally as teams are still technically in pre-season training for the duration of the league campaign. Teams are still finding their feet, trying to bed-in new personnel and all the while undertaking strenuous weight-training as well as hard physical training. Championship is the barometer and ultimately how a team is judged.

It's nice to see that Brogan has started the season well, but the acid test in on those summer Sundays in Croker, and Brogan was poor in practically every one of them last term. I'm not saying he's in decline or a poor footballer, not by any stretch of the imagination, but when we're comparing him to undoubted all-time greats such as Cooper, Sheehy, Fitzgerald and Keaveney, these things are going to be mentioned.

BD

I'll be the first to admit he had a poor year last year. Against Mayo he had a brilliant opportunity to get a goal when we were on our way back, and had he scored that, we wouldve went on to win imo. He didnt, and we lost. All I'm saying is that he is a level above Forde and the likes, and if we get another Championship or two with him playing, he'll have to go up there with the best forwards of the last 15/20 years, and even still he could well get there without winning any more All-Irelands.

Buchan

I think Bernard is a fantastic footballer (and a gentleman, too), certainly one of the best in the country at the moment. However, being labelled an all-time great is a huge accolade and, in my opinion, he has a long way to go to be up there with the aforementioned. Also, apologies Irwin, Canavan deserves to be up there too. What a genius he was.

As for the Forde and Browne comparisons, I think you are doing both a disservice there. I've seen Browne, in particular, do things with a football on a field you wouldn't believe. He almost single-handedly took his club Moyle Rovers from also-rans in South Tipperary to among the best in Munster, which is a huge triumph for a Tipperary club. Left foot, right foot, it didn't matter to Browne. The fact he has two All-Star awards for a county like Tipperary speaks volumes. I know I'm biased in this discussion, but I'd rate him among the best I've seen. Ridiculously talented footballer.

Irwinwastheking

Great game yesterday between Tyrone and Kildare. Some massive sledging going on from both sets of players, but no crying or acting like pussies (see Kerry). Delighted to be through to another final although I don't fancy the chances too highly against this Dublin team.